Scarlet Witch # 14 storytime

With only one more issue left after this, will we learn the secrets behind Wanda's family tree? Or at least the secrets behind using a different artist for every issue?

I think if this series lasted longer than expected (15 issues is a pretty good run these days) David Aja's covers have to get a lot of the credit.

Well, that's nice at least.

I was hoping for more answers than we got, assuming the final issue is not going to clear up anything.

I just hope a team book gets Wanda back after her ongoing ends. There must be some writer who wants to use her.

Natty Bumppo

So who is her father? Emerald Warlock?

Some people say it could be Modred the Mystic.

I guess we'll find out if there ever is another Scarlet Witch ongoing which should happen around 2064.

Haven't read this new title. But back in the day they said the twins were raised by a cow. Is that the kind of secret you're talking about?

Yup. Raised by a cow

Wait, Agatha Harkness is alive again and physically younger?

Did the other 13 issues have crappy art as well?

No, as OP has pointed out one of the selling points of the series was that it would be having a different artist for every issue.

Would you, Sup Forums? I know I would.

They'd still be raised by a cow either way, since their dad was away.

Robinson got a lot of criticism online for how negatively he portrayed Quicksilver in that one issue he appeared in so I'm glad he wasn't planning to just leave it that way.

The power of three will set us free
The power of three will set us free

Charm-ing.

So Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver have at least 4 fathers (Django Maximoff, the Whizzer, Magneto and this new unknown guy) and at least 4 mothers (Marya Maximoff, Miss America, Magda, Natalya). 5 if you count Bova.

They've got almost as many parents as their ongoings have issues.

Oh for heaven's sake

I now realize this has been Shawn Crystal all along and the art only looked fine because of heavy coloring.
Still not the best choice for this issue

This family stuff seems like a hassle. She is called Wanda Maximoff, and is herself and Pietro Maximoff is her twin. Anything more is variable.

Unless the new father is also Natalya Maximoff.

Also Agatha Harkness's life and death timeline is even more confused now.

(She died in Englehart's "Vision and the Scarlet Witch," but then she came back without explanation in Byrne's WCA, then Bendis decided she'd been dead all along and Wanda was hallucinating her, but a lot of readers, including Robinson, mistakenly thought Wanda killed her.)

Issue 2 (Marco Rudy) and 9 (Joelle Jones) had awesome art.

Have Modred the Mystic be the father who killed Natalya at the behest of Chthon.

But, silly me, that would make sense.

Reminder that this fucking cow told everyone that the Maximoffs were the children of the Whizzer and Ms. America, then changed her story to them being the children of Magda and Magneto. If it wasn't for her, none of these years of confusion would have happened, it's all her fault, and the High Evolutionary for playing along.

How did Agatha die anyway?

>then Bendis decided she'd been dead all along and Wanda was hallucinating her, but a lot of readers, including Robinson, mistakenly thought Wanda killed her
Well it's Bendis' own fault for not making that clear.

Fucking New Men.

Oh of course it's Bendis's fault, but if he had explained what was going on, how could he have ripped off "Psycho?"

>Long time
So Bendis expected us to assume from this one line of dialogue that Agatha had been dead since the 80s and every appearance since then was Wanda's until then non-existent powers? I assumed that she had been dead for a few weeks. Why would Agatha's corpse even be in that house anyway? Did Wanda put it there? Why?
Considering the fact that retcons showed that Wanda did not in fact have the powers Bendis claimed she had until right before Disassembled, Robinson made the right call to go with the "Wanda killed her while she was crazy" interpretation.

Someone's been rewatching Charmed

No she didn't.

No she didn't what?

bump

>äx jxlipxd dᚹrbr hþfpkhpäf gxxä jx?emrb bxjjᚹ
It's a mix of Anglo-Saxon and Scandinavian runes, it's also pure bullshit.

Didn't kill Agatha, I guess. It's hard to tell because she hasn't had an official on-panel death since 1985.

DON'T BELIEVE HER LIES.

There are some who call him Tim.

It is chaos. Did you expect it to be coherent dialogue? The Darkhold and shit.

But Magneto used magnetism to make her tell the truth. Magnetism never lies!

Lying cow.

Editorial would'nt let Robinson use Chthon or Set, so Robinson had to use the "make your own entity" kit he got from Allen Heinberg ("Life Force").

I like this book in some ways but the amount of outside Marvel continuity ass-pulls JR has had to use is frustrating.

Why didn't Magneto or the twins do a DNA test to confirm this information instead of taking the word of a cow who had already lied about their parentage in the past?

>Editorial would'nt let Robinson use Chthon or Set
Source? Why wouldn't they?

> Emerald Warlock: (whom I think Robinson really created to use if the book truly caught on).

> Modred the Mystic: Chthon had him imbue Natalya with his essence? (Similar to his Montessi scheme).

> Chthon himself

> Magneto again

> An OC who will be ass-pulled.

No source, but Robinson clearly is very restricted in terms of continuity. Wanda's mystic stories used to be strongly connected to Strange's part of the MU, for example.

The book is pretty much sealed off from the wider MU save Pietro and Agatha now being alive.

Most obvious is that Natalya conveniently dies so other Marvel writers can ignore her.

Wasn't the original Human Torch going to appear? I recall Robinson saying something about the Russian Avengers as well, when the book started.

The sorrow Magneto and Polaris should be feeling by seeing their family destroyed was not treated in any book.

I think some of this has to do with the book being a last-minute thing that Robinson pitched as well as Robinson's editors not being from the Avengers office.

Robinson works with Mark Paniccia's office which handles Hulk, X-Men and basically anything the more powerful editors don't want (that's why he got X-Men). So Wanda can't coordinate with the Avengers books, yet she's still "owned" by the Avengers office so nothing can happen to her that contradicts what's happening in Avengers.

That's why none of her past retcons or even the Avengers Disassembled stuff have really been contradicted here and the new characters disappear by the end of the run.

Cover looks like a legit rip-off of a Zulawski film from a few months ago.

That's why much of the first half of this series is better than the recent "muh past" issues (awful Pulido issue aside).

Robinson is retconing while not being able to actually properly retcon, and as well as further muddying Wanda's parentage, it also muddies Chaos Magic. Shuma Gorath and Chthon use it...Yet it's also Witchcraft?

Busiek set things up really well, with a power definition that made alot of sense, then Bendis fucked everything up massively. Much of the confusion and mess can be sourced at Byrne and Bendis, which figures.

To be fair it is apt given the Goddess of Witchcraft's head is hand.

Bump so I can complain about this in a bit

Okay, sustaining your bump.

She was a mutant that had her power tap into a magical force while branded by a chaos god as an avatar partially and then learned normal magic and then her form of magic wasn't a real branch of it and then turned out she might have had HE powers like Spider-Woman and the New Men and was simply re-coded to give false positive of being a mutant and then her form of magic was changed again while bouncing around that magic is at least partially genetic.
At least she is still an organic lifeform.

How many times had Chthon stuck his eldritch dick in that?

Goddamn it, this shit is just getting ridiculous now.

Did Agatha get brought back to life as young woman? Or is it just the art?

I don't know, I prefer "probability powers" to all of that. Of course her abilities are whatever the fuck the writer wants, but at least that forces the writer to come up with some kind of creative explanation for how it's tied to probability.

"Chaos magic" turned out to make her more like the White Witch in Legion of Super-Heroes (who was also a bit like the Scarlet Witch in some of her stories so it all comes around), where she can do anything but only if she has time to "prepare" and "concentrate."

Seems about right as Dr Strange had high stakes with the end of magic and SW is just dealing with mystical daddy issues.

What else has this series really accomplished in comparing to current Dr Strange ongoing?

The Empirikul did nothing wrong

Chthon has fucked everything.

Though those rumours of a drunken tryst with Shuma Gorath are just tittle tattle.

How I would interpret it:

Chaos Magic as tied to her emotions (with low state being weakest, have high state being strong/controlled, with trauma being unlimited but without control), works best.

Low level powers are easy to use, high powered stuff gets dicey as it janks her emotions and Chthon's influence expands as she channels more of his power, the combo of those two being dangerous.

No one can resist his abs, their lure supernatural.

Wanda's eyes are open in her own book, at least.

Issues 2 and 9 were great.

I wish Robinson had focused on Wanda's future rather than her past. It's weird that he ended up doing the thing that he criticized other writers for doing with Wanda.

I can't shake the suspicion that Brevoort greenlight this so they have set up for Billy becoming Scarlet Witch.

Sexy Before All Others.

Bump for interest

>Shuma Gorath and Chthon use it...Yet it's also Witchcraft?
well they they seem to portray it here is that you have Chaos, a primal force. the goddess of witches (under normal circumstances) commands that primal force but there's also gods who have it in their domain.
the same way you can have smith gods who have 'tamed' fire and you can also have actual gods of fire

Good point. That puts it into context.

Would be great if the father was Magneto.

Shit's convoluted enough.

It's very simple her father will be herself. She will also be her own mother. In the future she will be forced to chaos split the masculine and feminine aspects of her soul into two people and send them back in time to intimately bind her to the power of witchcraft itself in the present, in order to defeat her arch-nemesis Master Babyhands.

Should have been Kang

>tfw you'll never fuck a thicc cosmic bellydancer squid with a hand for a head

on the other hand, whats with all these cosmic entities getting bandaged up and does it relate to the ultimates ?

I think Modred could be at least interesting, him having had a relationship with Natalya would be interesting, given he was a good guy till Chthon massively fucked him up.

I want Ewing to get a hold of her and Viv.

Magneto's relationship with Wanda has mostly been handled ineptly by Marvel.

She is always made to orbit him and defined entirely by him whenever writers enter that subject. Bendis ironically took this to the extreme of making Wanda's entire character an extension of Magneto, thus making "no more mutants" in turn make her incompatible with the X-Men universe.

IMHO the retcon has more to do with M-Day than movie rights; the clusterfuck is something writers at Marvel want to avoid.

One or combo of these possibles:

> Re-joins Uncanny Avengers but is a glorified cameo.
> Is reduced to small, very occasional cameos and not on any team, until 2018 and Infinity War.
> Vanishes almost entirely.
> Replaced by Wiccan.
> Even with Infinity War, Marvel Comics does nothing with her.

please, it's about movie rights and corporate greed. Marvel's only doing this story so there isn't any new material Fox would want to adapt, even tho Fox has been loose with the source material, not that Fox would the the books have been terrible.

If they wanted to make Wanda a better, more sympathetic character, they would have had her face her problems head on, instead running off into exile which has been her status quo most of the time since House of M.

House of M for better or worst put Wanda in the perfect position to be a linchpin character of the Marvel Universe as a center piece of the Magical, Avengers and X- Men spheres but Marvel is devoid of creativity and kept her away from everything as background looming threat no different than Galactis or Phoenix.

same thing happens to Hal Jordan and DC is able to redeem the character by being proactive with him and giving him big hero moments in crossovers and team books and expanding on his place in the DCU. Not keeping him segregated for a good chunk of a decade +.

Bendis was too stupid to do the logical thing and make Chthon or Set the villain in HoM and then follow that with Wanda confronting one or both of them.

An example of Marvel bumbling: A Vicious Wolverine vs Captain America fight never happened in HoM despite it would be great.

Also Marvel could have easily used M-Day to set-up a huge war between the Elder Gods and the Celestials.