I must have been watching too much James Rolfe...

I must have been watching too much James Rolfe, but I've actually been thinking about checking out the original Universal Monster movies. Particularly the Dracula movies. Are these films really as timeless as movie enthusiast James Rolfe says they are?

Do you recommend them, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_wRVfzaIRj8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

> James Rolfe
I think you mean James Wolfe.

Yes they may not be scary but they are classics. Interesting fact except for the Invisible Man they are all about love.

Every single monster only wants to feel loved which makes them all very bitter sweet movies.

They are classics for a reason, bub.

I've been searching for the quintessential versions of these classic monsters. Are these the movies that painted the picture of how we see the monsters today?

>Every single monster only wants to feel loved which makes them all very bitter sweet movies.

So has there ever been a tranny monster?

Creature from the Black Lagoon used to give me nightmares as a kid, they're all pretty great movies especially anything with Frankenstein.

Today monsters and villains in general are just mindless killing machines with no depth at all.

You could make the argument Jason is sympathetic as his mother was murdered and he seeks revenge on anyone who comes close to Crystal Lake but even that point was only mentioned in Part II and then never again.

Mike Myers, Jason, and Freddy were still quality monster villains. They were just a different breed.

I love james, but he is a genuine nerd. And i mean real nerd before comic book movies convinced normies that buying funko pop meant they were nerds.
He reminds me of a guy i would hang out with in school and argue with about anime or video games with or something.

I mean how nerdy can you get.

"Im going to grow an obsession for early Hollywood movie monsters"

What I meant by quintessential was like how we always pictured Dracula. Even today we still have a certain image of that character. Be it the cape, the fangs, blood drinking, etc. I was looking for where all of this imagery originated from that even inspired parodies like Count Chocola. Are the Universal monster movies the ones that essentially established these characters?

I know Dracula was a novel, but most people don't read anymore.

So is this why Electronic Arts always tries to mimic these monsters instead of modern day ones for their Sims games?

I noticed The Sims 3 Supernatural expansion pack might as well be called The Sims 3 Old Hollywood Monster Movie pack.

They are iconic for a reason, but if you're just getting into them now, you might find them a bit on the slow and boring side. Body counts are usually in the single-digits, there's more of an emphasis on atmosphere and dread than actual horror, and there's a LOT of talking.

But with all of that said, they are almost all great. Creature From the Black Lagoon is my personal favorite. I'd also recommend The Man Who Laughs. It's not one of the Universal "Classics," but it was made by a lot of the same people.

Universal set the mold, but I think (regarding Dracula anyway) that Hammer really kind of took the concept and cranked it up to 11.

Frankenstein is probably the most "iconic" of the lot. It's a very effective movie, tragic and strange.

Universal's Dracula was based on the original Broadway play. That's why it's so stiff.

I've been trying to break myself from the expectations of modern movies anyway since all of them are starting to look the same to me now. I don't mean the blockbusters, I mean movies that are released in theaters but are destination to be aired on television on FX or Syfy. Movies like Dracula Untold, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, and King Arthur: Legend of the Sword.

Though in hindsight, I kind of liked those films.

Every year around Halloween I get consumed with James' videos and classic horror movies and every year it's just as awesome. Watch them all OP and hit up the Hammer movies next. Also if you get a chance go take a walk in the cool autumn air and listen to James' video where he visits Sleepy Hollow. It's so relaxing and really gets you in the mood for Halloween.

I liked Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. They took the smart route and played it straight, which underscores the ridiculous shit even harder than if they had gone for laughs. Also, Abe's axe-based fighting style looks awesome in motion.

That was the only movie I listed that I never seen all the way through.

Is this available on a streaming service?

>Are these films really as timeless as movie enthusiast James Rolfe says they are?

why do you value the opinion of a literal cuckold? are you fucking insane?

>I must have been watching too much James Rolfe
how many hours of CuckoldSessions have you watched?

>yfw You realise real monsters in "Frankenstein" and "Bride.." were people, not creatures.
youtube.com/watch?v=_wRVfzaIRj8

> Cuckold
Please refrain from posting your tired shtick outside of your containment board. .

See

That was always kind of the motif in the Universal movies. Except for Dracula. He was just a dick.

Since this is Universal Monsters thread I think it's right place to post this. Found it in some "Mummy" threads. Well apart shitload of Sofia waifuing, there was actual quallity content and proper discussion. How You relate to this pic-related? For me it was fair, but bogged down in senseless universe building and overload of other things.

bump

Not all of them, but some of them are, like Bride of Frankenstein and The Invisible Man.

Some of them seem pretty silly now like the Creature of the Black Lagoon, but the visuals and the music are still pretty effective.
Also Bride of Frankenstein is absolutely fucking great.

Son of Frankenstein is underrated as fuck. I don't know why it didn't get as famous as Bride.

I've actually been watching these movies for the past couple days, at this point I've only seen Dracula, Frankenstein, Bride, Mummy and Invisible Man. I should warn you that while both Dracula and Frankenstein are worth the watch to see how these classic monsters were conceived, these films in particular are really products of their time. They both don't have a score which leaves some long periods of silence which gets distracting during the more tense scenes as you'd expect music. They both also suffer from some awkward camera work and Dracula in particular has a lot of 'tell not show' and off-screen special effects, like when Dracula turns into a bat it has to be off-screen. Hell, they couldn't even show Bela Lugosi climb out a coffin. Obviously these problems are all just because these two first films were in the very early days of film so they didn't have the means to do many special effects and didn't really need to as the films were still pretty cutting-edge at the time without them.

The Mummy onwards though start utilising musical scores and some more sophisticated special effects, making them feel like real movies. It becomes far less distracting that your watching a film from the 30s and I was way more engadged. I've enjoyed The Mummy and the Invisible Man a lot but for some reason Bride of Frankenstein wasn't as enjoyable for me. I think it was because it just got a little too silly in places and I was in a pretty terrible mood yesterday which probably didn't help.

Let the Right One In and pic related come to mind

So in other words, stop being an entitled millennial?