What made the first Starship Troopers work so well? Why did the studios decide to make rushed, low budget trash?

What made the first Starship Troopers work so well? Why did the studios decide to make rushed, low budget trash?

I'm not sure if this is a factor but was Verhoeven involved at all with the sequels?

no. not at all. there's nothing there, the sequels are trash

I went against the warnings and watched the sequels once..... It was just surprising how dead on the warnings were... They are literal garbage.

firsts was good 2en was campy 3erd was more campy others had to be animated because how campy they were

>firsts was good 2en was campy 3erd was more campy
are you a mong unable to discern SHIT?

first wasnt good, it was GOD TIER. 2nd was lame trash, 3rd was total trash.

bet if youre served coffee done with fresh Peruvian mild roasted beans and then a cup of nescafe, youll say "eh they about the same lol".

na just relay drunk your prob right i hevent seen them in a while

>the 2nd was shit

Rewatch it in context. It was a pilot for a SST tv series that was never picked up and went to dvd instead. As a pilot it was pretty fucken good.

The first movie being good was an accident. Verhoeven was trying to make something bad because he hates the book and accidentally made something good that contrasts well with the source material. His own ham-handed attempts to sabotage the movie (The Would You Like to Know More adverts for example) ended up turning the movie to an in-universe propaganda movie based on the events of the book, and the actors had so much fun with the movie that it bleeds through and the audience can't help but enjoy it.

It was a happy accident.

Its october.

The second one makes for a great horror movie to check out. Yes its low budget but maybe it would surprise you like it did me, its cheap but the acting and the story actually pull it off.

interdasting, but without the comedic satire and production values what the fiddledy fuck is the story good for?

you're a retard

>inb4 some idiot claims it's satire
>inb4 muh director said it was!

he failed if that was his attempt.

holy shit. you might need to look at the top of your head.

is it the second one or a diff one?

which one was the horror movie one?

The parasites themselves are good shit, too bad everything else is bad shit.

Although why on Earth did the Arachnids attack parasite infected people?

Verhoeven wasn't trying to make a bad movie, he was trying to make a movie where the viewer is uncomfortable because you are tricked by story conventions into cheering for fascists.

There's 3 types of people who watch Starship Troopers
> GROUP A: people who just view it as an action sci-fi movie, the political aspects go completly over thier head.
> GROUP B: people who recognise the undertones and satire, they find humour in the juxtaposition of the good guys belonging to a faction that would usually be the villains. Literal Nazi imagery and shot-for-shot remakes of Triumph of the Will scenes. They recognise that the ending (especially Rico's arch) is meant to be depressing
GROUP C: recognise the same stuff as GROUP B, except disagree with the intention. Believe that it shouldn't be read as satire and instead an ernest political structure of a utopian future.

it's a big fuck you and everything is a joke. Specially the "Do you want to know more" segments. The same way the tv spots or segments were on Robocop.
Both movies are my favourites and you can watch time and time again and you will laugh and find small details or shit that will make it totally worth it each time.
Also somehow both have aged pretty good

The CGI in Starship Troopers was fantastic, it even hold up fairly well today. No idea how they managed it.

Guys from ILM did it. Robocop holds pretty well too because mostly is practical. Only parts that look old are the ED209 because it was stop motion on some parts, still I rather watch stop motion than a CGI shit fest like most of 2000s movies that are a disgrace
I downloaded Starship Troopers last weekend because I wanted to watch it again and it's hard right now not to love it.

Starship Troopers the book is considered to be borderline fascist and promoting militarism. Movie started as unrelated scifi script called Bug Hunt at Outpost Nine, someone in production staff noticed the similarities to Starship Troopers and they bought rights for the book. Verhoeven couldn't even finish the book he had signed into making movie of, he got too depressed reading it and basically told screen writer hand over the cliff notes. Visuals movie are in many scenes shot by shot copies of German and US propaganda from 30's and WWII. Most notably Leni Riefenstahl’s Triumph of the Will and Frank Capra's Why We Fight.

There is quite a lot of practical effects in the movie.

Heinlein is such a fucking hack, I can't take any of his books seriously

At least he got the Japs to appreciate power armour.

There's quite alot of practical effects, but a guy who worked on it used to run a podcast about movies and mentioned that there was a big push by the studio to have the bugs shells be reflective because it was the "new" thing in CG and they instead opted for them to not be because they knew it was going to look like shit in 2 years.

>when a nu-male claims Starship Troopers is """"satire"""""

This.

If anything Robert Heinlein made the Japs appreciate giant robots, Gundam storyline of a space colony against the Earth governments is taken from another Heinlein book, ,Moon is A Harsh Mistress’

Not only Gundam but Macross, Muv Luv, Blue Gender is full of Heinlein concepts.

>id buy that for a dollar
yeah, verhoeven doesn't like to make fun of random shit