JSA Storytime: Captain Atom

Good evening owls,

>JLI intensifies

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/380880731/wild-times-an-oral-history-of-wildstorm-studios
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what was good today

Max Lord's bleeding nose is off the charts now

Shade continues to be enjoyable

WTG Booster

I didn't read JL, how was it

Today felt like a good day? The new Nova is great. Shade and Middy were good. USAvengers was good. The Rebirth for Atom was good.

I saw you pushing the new Captain Atom like a drug earlier. Any big thoughts you wanna share on it?

Shade
That's about it

JLvSS went from bearable to terrible with the latest issue

the funny thing is, I think any attempt to just re-do Giffen/JMD JLI is doomed, and some views of it as perfect comics are pretty rose-tinted

I did my storytime part but it's very much a work in progress

New Nova looks like it might really scratch an itch

Shade is interesting but it's meandering enough I want to read it all at once and it'll make more of an impact, there's not as much forward push as I like for reading shit as a monthly, if that makes any sense?

ehhh lots of setting pieces up for the finale, making me care about Eclipso is a big challenge.

i wanna bug williamson about emerald empress and the fatal five being dirty dozen rip offs.

USAvengers and Midnighter/Apollo were both fantastic. I really enjoyed Batman.

i've still got like half my list to read.

What really got me about Nova is how it just nails the dynamic between Rich and Sam so quickly. If you have a relationship like that written well you can play it out for miles. Makes me miss good team-ups and the good romantic/family duos Marvel sometimes had too.

and it was quite something to watch Spencer take it from all sides today, although he really did deserve at least some of it, and Khouri make a somewhat defensive comment and then a pretty savage burn on a dude related to it

My other deepest desire is for all the Captain Atom stuff to go down and then somehow Eiling pop up in a Prieststroke plot

I said in the thread but it feels very like the first crop of Rebirth issues. It's getting the ducks in a row and leaving a hook but not much else.

I thought this most recent Midnighter/Apollo issue felt very Authority.

It's deeply cute but there's so much you can do with it, exactly

And the Cosmic Shit and the door's wide open for Robbie and Vance and everyone

BTW this is Gavril, and he will be your favorite character now

Flintstones continues to be one of the best comics out there, Nova was surprisingly fun, and even Death of Hawkman is good. I'm enjoying that, title aside, it's trying to tell its own story, instead of being "the story where Hawkman dies".

Oh, and that Captain Atomic book by those literally who's came out, but it looks like crap so I didn't bother reading it.

I totally understand, I can't wait to read it at once when it releases in trade format. I wouldn't call it slow paced, but it is certainly slow moving compared to other arcs this year

ugh, Eclipso?

I kind of scanned Death of Hawkman but the plot such as it is isn't terribly interesting to me, despite the Hawkman part

There's a lot of things packed into it but I don't end an issue just dying to know what happens next, that's the forward push thing. But it's also not an action book (like Cave Carson is) and that's fine too

Max, you fuck, you know what's coming

my main thought on what of Wasp I looked at was "this colorist is not as good as who did Starfire and it shows", but whoever pitched it as Science Longshot makes me think I'll download it

I found it funny because I saw people shitposting about how he never got shit from Tumblr/left side on Sup Forums a few days ago.

I didn't read the issue but saw a panel with "to the extreme!!" And was confused people took it straight faced

>and it was quite something to watch Spencer take it from all sides today, although he really did deserve at least some of it,
I'd feel bad for him, but it's not like the guy doesn't bring it on himself as is.

Science Longshot and Fashion Detective Jan

A lot of the original Shade was meandering, just issues of people talking at each other. The one issue where Shade is dead and can't control his form so keeps taking on the shape of objects and finds out Kathy and Lenny are having an affair behind his back when he's the bedsheets. Girl Shade is clearly ramping up the tension at the moment but given the new book is of good quality I'm fine with it taking its time.

:(

It may have been misaimed satire or whatever, but it was clearly satire

goddammit

>It may have been misaimed satire or whatever, but it was clearly satire

I get Sup Forums is bored, but Christ, why are they getting so butthurt this time, when he's finally taking the piss out of "those damn SJWs"?

I didn't like Wasp very much (I think I'm overdosed on these kinds of books) but it does have some Longshot and Bandette friendly vibes to it.

I do wish it had had Jan.

because Sup Forums is deeply fucking stupid

The havoc is more important than the cause.

kickstarter.com/projects/380880731/wild-times-an-oral-history-of-wildstorm-studios

You see this, OP?

The Longshot question is: how honest-to-god weird will the book get, or will it play it safe and cute

I mean, I'm not expecting Space Michael Jackson or anything, but still

>nbd, he blows up a lot, he'll be back soon

Oooh

>was it the view?

Best scene since Nate's solo ended, or best scene in general?

JLA: Atom and Middy/Apollo

It's probably the most in-character he'd gotten to be in a decade, really

the copypasta kind of undermines it, but it's a good question

Ragnarok continues to impress.

I am super-behind on that but I have all the floppies, I just need to sit down and start over from the top

>reminder there were a bunch of near-death experiences in the 80s ongoing, including some trippy shit with the Black Racer

Well, it's Whitley and it took a little bit of time in-issue to confirm everyone loves Harry Potter, so.

Nadia definitely has character similarities to Longshot. She's super inexperienced with the world and super interested in everything new: isolation since childhood, but a scientific prodigy instead of the harshness and edginess of Black Widow. And she is interested in everyone she meets: the donut seller, the immigration officer, the scientists. But the book itself takes that "rep for lady scientists" as its motto.

Ah, IDK. I don't know if I dislike it for anything I can actually argue out or if I'm just tired of this tone of book. It's inoffensive and it is actual teens instead of adult women.

>"I died, then I came back."

Despite the meme of comic book death, I'm genuinely curious how many comic book ressurections have occured, that didn't retcon the fact that they actually died.

I really wonder what Russell is going to do after Flintstones.

Possible spoiler for later: wasn't he sent to the future with this blast and met Powergirl, or am I thinking of another series?

Quasar died like 3 times in what we read of him.

I am just nearly 0% interested in teens these days, although yeah, Nova is hitting my button but that's in part the dynamic with Richie

shhhhhhh

Op what would you storytime once you're done with Captain Atom stuff? I nominate this Moorekino.

>the kino meme
Get out.

I think I promised everyone some Madge

I know this is kind of a ridiculous ethnic stereotype etc., but he's just so much fun...

Hey, in 2017, seeing a Russian stereotype who's genuinely a decent guy, politics aside, makes me think it's okay.

Are you doing the issues that crossover with Superman? Those were fun.

Did Champions come out today? Where's the storytime thread?

I think I have the whole shebang, Casey and DnA both

All this Max Lord has made me think if there's any comic which sits down and really thinks about what being a telepath would be like. Or telekinetic for that matter.

Aha, that's where it comes in

24 issues, bi-weekly, with changes on the fly--this is not the simplest structured series

I could ship it. Don't hate me.

r-r-r-recap

so, what do we think is waiting for Nate in 1994, the year of EXTREME JUSTICE and ZERO HOUR

can you share your logic with the class?

>year of Zero Hour

Oh lord.

I wonder how the DC timeline will be, like nu52 Superman came out post-9/11

Hey Op.

Still trying to catch up on new comics.
USAvengers already GOAT for unleashing Richard Nixon's Flying Volcana Lair on page fucking 2. TWO!

Marvel needs a shakeup, bad. One that ends with Ewing pushed as the face of the company.

New Flintstones was probably the weakest issue so far. Not wholly sure why. Leonardi not fitting as well with Russell maybe? Anyone, I'm sure you'll appreciate a bit of ho yay, right?

characters with steadily glowing eyes: go

(Nate, of course--Jaime has pupils more of the time than not, right?)

That's why it's such an interesting and curious choice, if you want to reconcile with/lead N52 Captain Atom back to something older, and you like dealing in specific years as much as that team did, which 1994 is it going to be?

Gosh, I remember 1994

After Guy, anything is up.

I love General Maverick. IDGAF it's not Ross, his intro page was great.

I HAVEN'T READ ANYTHING TODAY PLEASE NOT TOO MUCH SPOILERINO

OP is a fujoshit

I liked Flintstones a lot but the morals were too blunt. Needs less direct statement and more nasty humor. Loved "pterodactyl out of here!"

And here Winick starts kicking in on a theme with Nate that y'all can guess is really not my preferred, the "what have I becoooome" stuff

LOL

I hope DC adds the rest.

He really needs to stop doing cocaine already.

That is impeccable logic and I see it clearly.

Oh shit!

>oh no he's hot

Are we sure it's going to get into that? Obviously you can play around with Nate's powers there A LOT, but the solicit seems to indicate another jump in time next issue:

>Feb
>“Past Imperfect” part 2! An overload in the quantum field forced Nathaniel Adam back to the 1990s, leaving him stranded. With no powers and no clear way to get home, he wonders how his presence in the past might affect his future. But if he gets his wish…will that future include Captain Atom?

>March
>“Back to the Future” part three! Transported to the present day against his will, Nathaniel Adam struggles to move on from the shattered life he left behind. But General Eiling and the U.S. government have other plans for him—two words: Operation Resurgence.

The cover for the 3rd one has him weeping over the grave of a Tahara Sato. Unless that's not Nate.

The solicits are sneaky and give away pretty much nothing, there. But its Bates and Weisman, you have to ask "why 1994 specifically?" off the bat.

Wasp was absolutely terrible in every way

Beatriz in this outfit makes me miss Polaris

I'm open to the idea it might be a IRL event over a comics one. The newspaper headline talks about Shoemaker–Levy 9, the Kremlin Accords were signed, etc.

the metal not coming off: also a pet peeve/big view into how you see the character

right, it's just an interesting question to wonder "is he in a 1994 unique to this book, or is he in the DCU as it was in our 1994, or..."

Also she's kinda Nightshade-y, right? Background-wise and is a bit hesitant to push if she's got the space, 100% will push if she has to. And the OG Captain Atom had a villain called Fiery Icer, so they can clearly hit it off beating up that guy for copyright infringement. And Guy would be really mad.

DAMMIT

the kids immediately ask all the questions we also want to know answers to but are too timid to tweet

90s

bad future! very bad!

christ, that's a mullet for the ages

Yes

It's flat

>Makes me miss good team-ups and the good romantic/family duos Marvel sometimes had too.

So, Marvel needs a Rebirth? To bring back the HEART of the universe, the way Wally symbolically did for DC?

I don't know if I should make a RWBY reference or a Soul Eater reference...

definitely Soul Eater, Shinigami-sama is the best

They renumber every year anyway, what's the difference?

I don't think they need a Rebirth, I just wish they threaded their books differently and put priority on different people/creatives. And had more editorial cohesion.

I do not like this trope, no no no

Monica got this treatment in Ultimates.

is this the first *mention* of the kids in twenty years?

Speaking weeb I dunno how many of you ITT read Mizukami Satoshi but I went and finished Sengoku Youko after a comparison to Nova here and legit cried like a little bitch at that ending. That is the first time something's got me like that in years, I didn't even think I was that into it.

solicits when

>Filename
>Generation Lose

raise your hand if you didn't see this one coming

I runs the files, I don't makes the files

>I think of you as a friend
>I let you live

Great friend you are, Max. Great friend.

>BTW this is Gavril, and he will be your favorite character now

He certainly stole the show in the first issue he was in!