How do you logically explain this scene if you subscribe to the belief that he's human?

How do you logically explain this scene if you subscribe to the belief that he's human?

autism

the unicorn dream/memory is not part of the movie...it's a scene from Legend which Riddley spliced into blade runner many years after the movie was released.

The point of the scene was to show that Gaff was there, and he's going to be after them , maybe he gave them a head start first becuase it's his partner

I know, I'm talking about the Final Cut. I'm just trying to retain a sense of ambiguity, because it seems way too one-sided to the point of being conclusive that he's a replicant. Which I hate.

>it's a scene from Legend which Riddley spliced into blade runner many years after the movie was released.

Thats not true. You posting this in every BL thread wont make it true.

I took it as he had a dream about a unicorn and his partner left this to show he knew about the dream because it was implanted in his head. There is no other way he would know about a dream that Harrison Ford had unless he told him off screen.

Maybe the spanish man was making unicorns before and Descard saw the dream after he saw the paper unicorns. Because dreams work like that too.

Exactly. Where's the fucking ambiguity

i dream therefore i am?

He saw his friend making paper horses and was like, what's that? A paper horse. Cool. Then he dreamt about it.

That's fucking stupid but I'll have to take it

How can you possibly say this with literally 0 evidence of him making the horses other than the one shot with the horse. He makes all kind of shit, for all we know he could make orgami figure for all of the dreams of the replicants.

I am just saying. I think he is just a replicunt. Since they hire them as Blade Runners. However his clock was without a 4 year limit.

>However his clock was without a 4 year limit
Yeah, but this appears to be a retcon, so that Ford could appear in the new movie.

In the original, Gaff says "It's too bad she won't live," meaning that Rachel (and presumably Deckard) have the standard lifespan of a replicant.

>being this clueless about visual symbolism
Stick to capeshit.

Not canon

You can't. That's why Deckard is human in the earlier cuts, and a replicant in the later cuts. Scott retconned his character.

Being this naive..

'It's too bad she wont live' can be interpreted any number of ways, especially when you take into account 'then again, who does?', it might not mean anything at all
The entire point of the movie is making you question what defines life and living and what it means to live

Deckard literally picks up the paper unicorn and nods to himself.

He gets it, even if you don't.

No, he's explicitly saying Rachel has a limited lifespan.

"But then again, who does" is just a way of saying that life is what you make it, and a short lifespan can still be meaningful.

Deckard wasn't built with a four year fail safe, because Tyrell was absolutely convinced he was the perfect replicant. Roy's batch always knew they were replicants and had mental breakdowns; Rachael was the next step and made to think she was human but the abrupt realization of the truth gave her a mental breakdown; and Deckard was the final step who thinks he's human and slowly understands through self reflection that he is actually a replicant, by questioning implanted memories of a unicorn when his better judgment tells him they never existed. The fail safe wasn't needed anymore because he was the first mentally stabilized model.

>it might not mean anything at all
Yeah you're probably right, I mean 99% of the dialogue is throwaway meaningless gibberish right?

> Unicorn was filmed for Legend
Not true, it was filmed for blade Runner, just not included in Theatrical release because studio meddling (which also was reason for narration, "happy ending" and other changes to make it easier to understand).

> Ridley Scott added it in years later because he changed his mind

Again, not true. Unicorn first appeared in Directors Cut, which infamously had 0 input from the actual director. It was based on recreating the pre-meddling version and based of Scott's notes.

The Deckard is a replicant theories came from Directors Cut, Final Cut adds barely any new evidence either way.

Yes, but you're concluding this from the sequel, not the original. There's nothing in the original to suggest he's a replicant with a longer lifespan, nor is such a model even mentioned.

It literally doesn't matter whether Deckard is a replicant or not, Ridley Scott saying and showing he is as an absolute fact makes Scott a dumb fucking idiot and a hack.

>The Deckard is a replicant theories came from Directors Cut
No, they date from the original, which contained a number of hints, albeit subtle ones.

For one thing there's Rachel's line, "Have you ever taken that test yourself?" Also, Deckard collects other people's photographs (which are seen spread out on his piano), just like one of the replicant gang. There may have been other clues too, but it's decades since I've seen the theatrical cut.

Fuck off Ridley

>Since they hire them as Blade Runners.
There's nothing implying this in the original.
This is only stated in BR2049, and even then the police started hiring Replicants as Blade Runners AFTER the blackout and after the Tyrell corporation had been bought by Wallace.

He wanted to let Deckard know that he was there and he's letting him go. The fact that it's a unicorn is just a coincidence.

The oiginal cut was ambiguous, the DC was deliberately edited to make deckard a replicant, its really that simple.

Stay mad you clueless hack.

>He wanted to let Deckard know that he was there and he's letting him go.
He literally does that on the rooftop after Batty dies.

>The fact that it's a unicorn is just a coincidence.
Ooh, spooky ...

"those are Tyrell's niece's memories... "
It's clear that human memories can be read, retrieved, implanted. Despite Ridley's intentions, i like to think that it's commentary on the nature of memory and identity in the world of nexus and blade runner; the little material difference between human and replicant minds and the irrelevance of the destination between manufactured and experienced.

>How do you logically explain this scene if you subscribe to the belief that he's human?

It's a coincidence. Ridley Scott is not above bad writing.

Fuck Scott, Deckard is a human

i ignore it since its a polarising issue with pretty much anyone who made the movie, also isnt it only in the directors cut?

Tyrell implants memories, not dreams.

there is a certain type of person who needs to cover their ears and eyes and scream like a child that deckard is not a replicant

this same person will also claim that JOI was no different from any real girl

they must be purged from our realm, or at least from this board

Keep replying :^)

You write fan fiction about as well as Stephanie Meyer.

Did Morgan Freeman cut off Gwenyth Paltrow’s head, too? And did a midget kill himself on the set of Wizard of Oz?

>this same person will also claim that JOI was no different from any real girl
Being a programmed hologram literally makes JOI a lot different from any real girl, though.
The thing is, her being a program, and Deckard being a replicant, don't matter, and you fucking autists need to stop obsessing over it.

This is the only correct answer. Does it really matter? It barely has anything to do with the book. Thematically it really doesn't matter much whether he is or not.

Shame the sequel's story relied so much on him and Rachel though, how unnecessary.

Replicants don’t age.

>It barely has anything to do with the book
The movie as a whole has barely anything to do with the book.
Comparing an adaptation and the source material and crying about their differences is the most retarded thing you could ever do in regards to entertainment.

>GAFF MADE A ORIGAMI MAN IN THE BEGINNING
>THAT MEANS EVERYONE WHO HAS DREAMED ABOUT A PERSON IS A REPLICANT
retard logic

It's not a confirmation, merely a suggestion.

Dreaming about a unicorn and Gaff making a unicorn origami specifically for Deckard is a little specific, user.
It can also just be a coincidence to throw the viewer off, too bad it's ruined by Scott being a hack who literally can not understand his own movie

The Unicorn is because he is in love with Rachel, but she is not real. But they are very close to being Human. Battlestar Galactica covered the same ground. They walk among us today.

Coincidence.

Do you need to have seen the new movie to get this?
I thought it was just the guys thing that he did origami, and it was like a calling card.

because ridley scott is a hack

>Do you need to have seen the new movie to get this?
No.
You also don't need to have seen the original to understand 2049.

I never thought about that. Good point.

He's spying on deckard. He knows he's infatuated with this replicant bitch and probably fucked her brains out after coming home from a beating. Gaff could have guessed deckard thinks of Rachel as a mystical creature. Therefore he leaves a unicorn.

And Deckard makes the dream a memory... Cause he remembers it.

No i'm asking what does this have to do with Deckard being a replicant.

Watch the original Blade Runner to find out.
Why are you in a thread about the original Blade Runner without having seen the movie?
I really fucking hate this place.

I just watched the original movie, like 20 mins ago

no u

the thing about these debates is always this:
one side claims he is a replicant with evidence and logic, and the other side rejects it simply because they do not LIKE it lmao "that's dumb so no it's not canon xD"

No you didn't, because if you did, you'd understand what the unicorn origami had to do with Deckard maybe being a replicant.

>The movie as a whole has barely anything to do with the book.
Which is a shame, because a film that was truer to the book would be fucking awesome.

I'll watch it again. i'll be back in 1:57 hours/minutes

>with evidence and logic
There's nothing in the original movie that absolutely proves Deckard is a replicant, only implications.
The thing die-hard "Deckard is a replicant, guise!" fags don't seem to understand is that it doesn't matter, in any way or form.

Adulthood is when you realize that the international theatrical cut is the best version of Blade Runner

>There's nothing in the original movie that absolutely proves Deckard is a replicant, only implications.
Maybe if they added a caption to the credits, something like "DECKARD IS A SKIN JOB YOU AUTISTS", people like you might finally put two and two together.

> The thing die-hard "Deckard is a replicant, guise!" fags don't seem to understand is that it doesn't matter, in any way or form.
But it does matter: if Deckard is a replicant the there no point for him to even exist in the movie.

Scott is such an idiot that he couldn't figure this.

It obviously means he's not human, it's just that it's a fucking stupid idea that shouldn't have been in the movie. It's the sort of thing Riddley scott thought up, thought about for like 30 seconds and decided "yeah thats cool and deep he's a replicant lol" and then never gave it any further consideration, because if he did he'd realize it adds nothing to the story and makes no fucking sense

Enlightenment is when you realize the Director's Cut is the best version because the Unicorn imagery is aesthetically pleasing and not because of silly iconography or visual metaphors.

I don't see how it's impossible for Gaff to be scanning/reading Deckards memories. Twice he comes back to his apartment to find that somebody has been there, and even though he finds Rachel that doesn't mean she was the only one there. If he was being watched because it was planned for Rachel to run to him then it might make sense to read Deckards memories/dreams to get a sense for his feelings

I watched a different version. the one with out the unicorn

>not the workprint version

It adds emotional depth to Ford's character, which otherwise would be completely lacking in a cold-blooded killer.

It's also an important part of his personal development as the plot unfolds.

What's not to like?

maybe deckard and gaff had a little chat and he mentioned he dreamt a unicorn

So majestic

how does he not have emotional depth as a human?
how does he not have personal development as a human?

roastie

In the begginning of original movie in police station scene Bryant explains to Deckard details about 4 year lifespan of replicants. Why did he need to explain such things since Deckard had worked for a long time already as Runner?

It looks was recently turned on.

Gaff is the replicant and the Unicorn imagery are his implanted memories, he understands and accepts his situation, thus why he didn't kill Rachel. He basically did what Roy Batty did with the 'tears in rain' scene. As to why we see them from Deckard's perspective, either its just him thinking of the memory he helped implant, or it's originally his.

Because they're new models, right?

*like he

sounds plausible

>how does he not have emotional depth as a human?
Because he's a professional killer. Hardly somebody with their emotions front and centre ...

>how does he not have personal development as a human?
Because he'd just keep on killing replicants without giving a fuck. Instead, the plot forces him to sympathise with his victims.

i thought gaff was a replicant too, his eyes are a weird colour.

>Because he's a professional killer
>he'd just keep on killing replicants without giving a fuck
you're retarded

Deckard has been retired for a while, and the Nexus 6 are brand new models.

doesn' matter but in the novel they question deckard's humanity and he becomes doubtful about it, but eventually it's proven he's human. but ultimately humans live lives as kinda hollow and pointless and "programmed" as those of replicants, so the difference isn't much

But what if his a human instead?

okay, but what if Deckard isn't a Replicant, but is a Mexican?

yeah, yeah, but what if instead of mexican he is a replicant?

The point of Deckard being a human is to contrast his sterile existence with that of the runaway Nexus 6 group

It also makes it more poignant when he has his moment with Roy, if he is a human.

I don't care if Ridley Scott changed his mind, as far as I'm concerned, Big Dick Deckard is a human

the scene with Gaff folding an origami sombrero was a fucking retcon and you know it

Fuck off roastie.

Gaff knows Deckard is a replicant. He says he did a man's job. Gaff is also a replicant as well. Bryant knows this , but Gaff does not. He has Gaff keep tabs on Deckard.