So what was Boromir's problem?

So what was Boromir's problem?

Other urls found in this thread:

tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Athrabeth_Finrod_ah_Andreth
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Being the best character.

he posted on the wrong board.

He was human. Other than that, thinking he could use the tool of the enemy against him when that's exactly how One Ring gets you.

Buttmad that his dad was a do nothing faggot while a hobbit was busy saving the world.

He wasn't a Gary Stu or protected by plot armor.

He was /ourguy/

>Aragorn turns up, a superhero with no loyalty to his people yet still threatens his father's rule
>Years of fighting back the enemy, watching his people die for the rest of the world with no thought or thanks
>Best chance to finally get a leg up on things is instead being whisked away by a bunch of fools to be destroyed in a plan that has minimal chance of succeeding

tragic hero

Tolkien needed a sacrifice for emotional impact.

The player was tired of all the other players playing the same halfing rouge, so he let his character die, so he could get the hell out of the campaign.

Not being a Mary sue.
When he was first introduced I thought I would hate his guts. I was rather surprised to see that I felt bad at his death.

Being played by Sean Bean

They really should have went with Boromir's plan

>If Gondor, Boromir, has been a stalwart tower, we have played another part. Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay. You know little of the lands beyond your bounds. Peace and freedom, do you say? The North would have known them little but for us. Fear would have destroyed them. But when dark things come from the houseless hills, or creep from sunless woods, they fly from us. What roads would any dare to tread, what safety would there be in quiet lands, or in the homes of simple men at night, if the Dúnedain were asleep, or were all gone into the grave?
>‘And yet less thanks have we than you. Travellers scowl at us, and countrymen give us scornful names. “Strider” I am to one fat man who lives within a day’s march of foes that would freeze his heart, or lay his little town in ruin, if he were not guarded ceaselessly. Yet we would not have it otherwise.
>If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so. That has been the task of my kindred, while the years have lengthened and the grass has grown.

tolkien couldn't escape powerfaggotry, he was determined to portray everyone except humans as being amazing in some way

by taking a noble but not actually special human and corrupting the shit out of him, he made his other characters appear more impressive, and the ring seem more powerful

That's not really true, a major theme of the story is how everything that was strong and grand is pitifully fading away

Is this from the books?

From the fellowship of the ring, Council of Elrond chapter. A lot of the important historical bits are established there.

the elves were only declining because they couldn't maintain their sanctuaries after the one ring had been claimed or destroyed, because their own elven rings would also stop

the dwarves weren't declining at all, the children of bard and beorn weren't declining

gondor was being restored after the war

gandalf only left ME because the reason he was there was finally resolved

But plan A worked.

But that's Eddard Stark lol

Sauron did nothing wrong.

This has nothing to do with "seeming" and everything with establishing what is.

He didn't reform Gondor's tax code.

The grand theme of Iluvatar was for elves to fade away, men to rise up and dwarves and any other race or creature to remain sidekicks.

QUICK ON THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD WHAT WAS ARAGON TAX POLICY?

His motives are made a lot clearer in the books. He was not a bad dude, just battlescarred and saw the ring as what he needed to save his people after years of blood shed.

He was corrupted by the ring, but in the end saved the rest of the group. Without him the journey probably would have ended there.

>the dwarves weren't declining at all
Did we read the same books?
>the elves were only declining because they couldn't maintain their sanctuaries after the one ring had been claimed or destroyed, because their own elven rings would also stop
The sole reason they had to rely on the ring was because elves have 0 magic, only Maiar do. The whole of Arda was corrupted by Melkor and has been in constant decline (and that was why humans were made, but that's another long story). Sauron wasn't really all that powerful and even the Numenoreans were able to defeat him. The reason why he's so powerful by the start and end Third Age is because because Arda itself was getting weaker and weaker.
>gondor was being restored after the war
Everything was quite hopeless before the Mythopeia miracle, whatever it was called. And Tolkien was writing a sequel where Gondor declines as well but stopped because it was too depressing.

I never understood his gay affair with aragorn. i'm a girl btw :3

You'd get tax cuts for each slain baby orc and crushed baby orc cradle.

There's a whole discussion between Finrod and Andreth that tries to establish a lot of the metaphysics behind why Humans were made, and their relationship with elves
tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Athrabeth_Finrod_ah_Andreth

I meant the elven rings, not 'the ring'. Elves don't have their spirit separate from their bodies like Humans do, so they feel the decline of Arda much more strongly than Humans can. Celibrimbor made the elven rings (based on Sauron's power) to help and sustain and prolong things.

>Watching FotR with sister
>Reach Boromir's death
>She starts to cry
>Never seen sister cry in a movie before
What did she mean by this?

>I would have followed you, my brother... My captain... My king.
That was probably the only good change the movies made

Internalized mahogany.

Nice.

Two Towers > The Third Age GBA > Return of the King with Faramir > The Fellowship of the Ring with fun PS2 port bugs > PSP Tactics > Aragorn's Quest >>>>>>>>> The Third Age PS2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ultra shit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Battle For Middle Earth

In fact their spirits are too powerful for the body to contain that their bodies would fade along with Arda and they'd be left completely invisible. Since LotR is meant to be set in prehistory Elves still exist today but they can't be seen in the 'seen world'.

We get it, you don't like RTS.

pretty much this

In the book though he suggests it but not with the same kind of passion. He is seduced by the ring slowly(which they do not show) and eventually goes completely mad(which was very well done in the movie because the actor is litteraly /ourguy/)

Doesn't the bodiless/dead elves go to the Halls of Mandos to chill until the worlds end?

>return of the king not first

That scene really got me too but camaraderie and heroic sacrifices always get me.

yes. The book is based as fuck.

The internet used to be a better place.

fucking crying lol

This makes it sound like the Rangers are fighting back lovecraftian horrors or something.

That's only if they were killed in battle, for some reason they go straight to the halls of mandos. If they simply faded over time they'd just continue to linger around. The Halls of Mandos are still part of Arda, just overseen by the Valar and separated from the rest of Arda so there's still unlimited magic there.

Still lots of horrors sprouted from Angmar, not to mention the wights from the Barrow-downs

>he was determined to portray everyone except humans as being amazing in some way
dumb secondary

Almost every major story in Tolkien's legendarium revolves around a human.

Beren? Human. Tuor? Human. Hurin? Human. Turin Turambar, the motherfucker destined to kill Morgoth? Human. Earendil? Human. Isildur? Human. Aragorn? Human.

They are man. Morgoth and Sauron left all sorts of things to fend for themselves all over Middle Earth. They used to have great kingdoms which were sieged and destroyed.

Since the Dunedain can't gather without being rammed by all the forces of evil, they scattered and live generally solitarily. This explains why the Numerorian blood they have is dying off. Though they honor there bloodline and are perpetually at war with the enemies of good.

>the motherfucker destined to kill Morgoth
lolwut

That's what you get for tax evasion.

Humans are awesome. Though in the movie Gondonians look dumb as fuck. to a point where it is scarely imaginable that they still hold Minas Arnor

dumb secondary

What is the Master and Commander of videogames?

Is Silmarillion a good read? What about that new book, Sons of Hurin? Are there any other essential Tolkien-core books? I just finished the Hobbit and LotR last year.

Long fucking game with practically nothing substantial? Sunless sea.

LONDON

Boromir and Sam were the only two heroes in the films/books. Everyone else had unshakable will and never had doubts.

Metal Gear Solid 3

t. female

They butchered Denethor so bad. Pippin looked at him with awe in the books, said that he looked more like a wizard than Gandalf. And though you get some hints of him slipping into despair, he was still noble and commanding. Movie Denethor was emotionally unstable from the start and I suppose they couldn't fit in all his development in the film without making it drag, but still it was grating to see

MGS4 - Solid Snake vs. Liquid Ocelot

Okay, not the guy you're talking with but I think he meant races. every other race has something exceptional about them, but humans don't, whereas you're talking about exceptional individuals. Whether humanity having so many exceptional individuals IS their special "thing" is another point entirely.

>Is Silmarillion a good read

it is a hard read but most who finish it prefer it to the Lord Of The Rings.

It is written like a sort of Bible and Tolkien died before finishing it. So his son took the liberty of compiling all his stuff and finished it. You can see this in the book where it varies and it give in an authentic feel.

But it's a hard read with many dates and descriptions.

Something cool too is that most people end up hating and like certain characters in an inconsistent way. The son of Feanor are a good exemple. I hate Maedhros but most people like him. I think he is a coward but anyway.

They also butchered Faramir for no reason. He didn't covet the ring in the books and certainly didn't take the hobbits to besieged Osgiliath. They could have just had the rangers fight sandniggers in Ithilien at that point of the movie, which IIRC happened in the book.

Thanks for posting from the books, all these plebs need to know that Peter Jackson's LOTR is not the best version.

At least make a pretense that this is vidya related

The Silmarillion doesn't really read like a story, it reads like a compilation of myths or legends.

The Children of Hurin book is good, and there's a new one for Beren and Luthien. I'd recommend reading The Silmarillion before reading those though. It's probably a better idea to have a general idea of what's going on in Middle Earth during that time period rather than jumping in completely blind. After that, The History of Middle Earth books and Unfinished Tales are good if you want to go more in-depth with the lore and history of Middle Earth.

kek

The council of elrond alone would make a really long film. The Jackson trilogy is abridged to the point of being full of lots of plotholes, plotholes that got meme'd like hell

LOTR would be better if Orcs weren't so one dimensional. They had a rather disturbing origin story though, elves being tortured to the point of turning into that fuck knows what is a dark concept for such a light hearted universe.

>I still think it's retarded
every. fucking. time.

>Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
>Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
>Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
>Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
>They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
>The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.
>Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning,
>Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

What does that even mean? Turin never even sees Morgoth.

Really? Like what?

>light hearted universe
It's not light hearted at all. The Hobbit was even morally ambiguous, but whimsical.

>such a light hearted universe.
haah
waaw

>for such a light hearted universe.

man I miss being 12

well compared to edge fests like Song of Ice and Fire or Warhammer it is

Shitty team mate

no one in the books ever got cut in half besides gore doesn't make things more mature unless you're one of the tards who go
>HURR ANIME ISN'T FOR KIDS BECAUSE IT HAS OVER THE TOP VIOLENCE

Listen here little baby. You're gonna get a lot of hurtful and degrading comments, but that ain't what I'm about. Let me just say, you are perfect the way you are. You hear me sugar? PERFECT. Don't ever change. You deserve anything and everything you want. Stay safe for me, baby girl.
>mfw thinking of you hurting

Like the
>why didn't they fly the eagles into Mordor
meme

Is this good helmet design?

Why didn't Elrond just kick Isildur into the pit?

because sauron would have noticed

Go look up Mandos' prophecy, dumbass.

Mister Ander - I mean, Master Baggins.

excellent for head protection, blows will be deflected off to the side. the dwarf helmets are awful however, flat and would absorb the entire force of the blow.

>HURR ANIME ISN'T FOR KIDS BECAUSE IT HAS OVER THE TOP VIOLENCE
Yes, the violence does participate in the overall tone of the setting.

the eagles are too powerful and sentient to serve others on command, only when they feel like it

What does it have to do with Turin, dumbass?

The council meeting is really one of my fav parts.
Seeing all those races together, discussing rumours over a course of multiple days was pretty cool.

I think I wanna rewatch The Two Towers now, thanks Anons.