Why does this structure look so huge even when we know its a model? what fucking trickery is going on here...

why does this structure look so huge even when we know its a model? what fucking trickery is going on here? and why cant CGI retards even emulate a tenth of this mastery?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/zZNKT2StC2c
youtube.com/watch?v=YUkGo3hymPg
youtube.com/watch?v=bL6hp8BKB24
youtube.com/watch?v=VvsRA_4tky4#t=5m30s
youtube.com/watch?v=w0TSTaKD-Ug
icgmagazine.com/web/humanity-2-0/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtu.be/zZNKT2StC2c

Am I the only one who though of this structure as futuristic LA Bank tower?

It's called movie magic, it is an ancient art lost to time.

You said it. CGI animators are not artists, they're engineers. They think it's cool because they can do anything with CGI. And then we end up with the Millenium Falcon chase ins Force Awakens. Nobody believes it's a ship, you feel like you're watching someone playing a PS3 videogame.
I think it has to do with the fact that you can't put the camera anywhere you want with models. With CGI, the camera follows the objects in such an unrealistic way, it takes you out of the movie immediately

Smoke helps, and the aperture.
You can probably tell that this spider is small just based on the things in front and behind being blurred.

oops wrong link
youtube.com/watch?v=YUkGo3hymPg

greebles
gag lights on the windows
perspective
smoke

A sun and an eye. Illuminatis confirmed

They add this stuff on cgi too, it still looks like shit most of the time

I remember a gif someone did from The Force Awaken trailer, the bit with the millennium falcon doing a looping. He simply stabilized the camera on the falcon. It was hilarious. The entire shot became completely banal.

It looks like a model, you are just suspending your disbelief.
There are so many different kind of professions in the area of CGI that throwing them all one group is incredibly stupid.

The PRODUCER think they can get away by doing anything in CG. The Artist will tell him, no it will look better if we combine real things with CG-backgrounds, but then the pencil pusher jews come in and say something about budget limits and it gets outsourced to an cheap Indian CGI company.

But you are spot on about camera movement and videogame aesthetics.

But here is the thing, its not the fault of the artform (CGI) its the fault of the people using it.
There are only 3 types of VFX scenes:

The one who looks like VFX but it is charming and you tolerate it.
The one where it looks like shit and everybody hates it.
The one you didn't realize was a VFX scene.

People ALWAYS complain about 2 but they never realize that 3 outnumbers 2 by FAR.

I never noticed all the little details before. Like the lit up areas where cars are parked.

>CGI is bad
>practical effects are superior

When will this meme fucking die?

youtube.com/watch?v=bL6hp8BKB24

The Force Awakens is not a good movie to begin with, so there lies your problem. A flying drone model of the Millenium would not help with the fact that the entire Star Wars universe is not realistic or remotely believable and that the entire franchise is based on the pervetion ad nauseam of 40 years old sci-fi paintings and concept artworks. It's a fucking license for god's sake. There's nothing novel about Star Wars!

How naïve or hypocritical must you be to blame the animators/modellers/CG artists/studios for their lack of artistry when all that is asked of them is to reproduce models, not to push boundaries in terms of artistic direction in any way? Not that they would have any chance to do so because every fucking 3 years, manchildren keep buying tickets to go see this and this or that badly written, overmilked franchise just so they can have their regular shot of fantasy.

And the industry knows that, and it will keep pouring money into big studios, and artists will keep working for those studios because who doesn't like working on big names with huge budgets, and fuck, they need to eat.

It's the light scattering a d just the overall quality of light and how it reflects off objects. It adds a depth and a realkty that would cost atronomical levels of money a d time to duplicate.

>When will this meme fucking die?
The real meme is that everything should just be done in CGI to save money, what I can tell from your vid is that practical effects touched up with CGI is the best way to go.

Because there is sweat blood and tears of an artist in it.
Not fat fingers of a virgin engineer.

A well made practical effect always looks more authentic than CGI.

Blade Runner vs 2049 is the perfect example of that.
>"only 70% of our shit is CGI, we re the best"

how sad is this ?

youtube.com/watch?v=VvsRA_4tky4#t=5m30s

nothing beats Crystal Steele's pixelated ass my bros

>the camera follows the objects in such an unrealistic way, it takes you out of the movie immediately

that's really more of an issue with the direction than with the effects themselves

but yeah you're right just because cg allows you to do anything doesn't mean you should

I thought the way cg was used in BR2049 was pretty tasteful

BR 2049 was david fincher level tasteful.

Most of BR2049 is entirely practical though.

I thought that's what I said

You can go on all day about practical effect being more realistic, but consider how limiting it is for the directors to stage around a giant puppet, or rear projection screen, or a stationary miniature. Even just being stuck with 180 degrees of motion on a decorated stage or just two blocks to shoot as a period piece can severely limit what the director can do with a shot. CG opens up so many possibilities for depth and motion that practical effects never could. That level of cinematography is just so much more important to me than worrying about the nth degree of realism in movies that have never aspired to be real in the first place

Huh. I assumed that the orange tint was colour grading.

youtube.com/watch?v=w0TSTaKD-Ug

This?

If a practical effect is available to achieve a certain scene the director wants to do, it's better. Atleast some form of a practical effect that the CGI can then be based on.

Not only for the finished product, but for the production itself. It's much easier for an actor to not try to imagine the environment and what's happening around him and focus entirely on his interior emotions of the character, it's much easier for the DP to achieve the framing and composition he wants, it's much easier for the CG artist to work on something with existing reference of scale and perspective etc. CGI is an extremely helpful tool, but if you're not Blomkamp or David Fincher (who worked specifically in visual effects in the past so they know exactly what they want) you most of the time end up with assigning all the work to an army of CGI rendering slaves from a visual effects company, leaving the company to be the actual creative part which is an impossible task because it's a whole army of people trying to form a singular piece.

Yeah, that whole sequence is done entirely in-camera.
>“That orange environment was done in three different ways,” Deakins remarks. “The opening part was on stage and, for this, I had Tiffen make some specific red filters for in front of the lens. While most of my lighting was tungsten-based Spacelights, there were some 20 Maxi-Brutes gelled green to give a feeling of yellow light against the predominantly red filtration."

>“The second section was an interior shot on location in Budapest,” he continues. “For this we had HMI sources from outside the windows, which were in turn diffused and gelled with the same color gels that we had used for lens filtration previously. Then, for the third part of the sequence, we had a very large set that used a couple hundred open-faced 2Ks and sixty 10Ks, with all those lamps bounced and gelled to maintain our color. All of the color scheme was controlled in camera and this gives it a reality I doubt it would have had if left to post.”
icgmagazine.com/web/humanity-2-0/

Deakins is so fucking based

My respect for this movie only keeps growing.