The Last Unicorn

youtube.com/watch?v=YHvWmJREROY

Why is this scene so revered and loved? Molly just comes across as entitled and a narcissist. The unicorn doesn't owe you anything. People live and yearn to see a unicorn their whole lives and never see one. But because you have been blessed, you feel cheated?

Other urls found in this thread:

vice.com/en_au/article/the-sad-strange-legal-battles-of-last-unicorn-author-peter-s-beagle
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It was the idea that all virgin women could see/interact with a unicorn and seeing as how there were so many unicorns before, it would make sense that she was upset.

When it was proven to her to be untrue?

Molly is sad because she is old now. That's it. That's the whole thing. It's a feeling that resonates strongly with a lot of people. What she is literally doing is yelling at the unicorn, sure. And it's kinda a dickish first impression, yeah. But what she is symbolically doing is lamenting her own fate. She's not really mad at the unicorn, she's mad and upset that she's old, and she misses being young, and the unicorn pretty much knows this after listening to her. Which is why like one minute later when Molly says she forgives her, (which is Molly's way of saying she herself is sorry) the unicorn is like "it's cool, bro" and goes on to accept Molly.

The unicorn represents beauty in the world, user. You can't interpret the scene like she's just some chick.

Also she lives in a shitty place, and has been given hardships and corruption over her life. Life taught her that unicorns come to help and save pure maidens, and she held onto that hope for a long time. But the unicorn never showed, and that hope was beaten out of her. Now that she's been thoroughly beaten down, now that she's old and ugly, now that there is nothing to hope for, a unicorn appears. It had been a real hope all along, it just never chose to show itself when it could have actually helped her.

Except all the hope hadn't been beaten out of her. Just 5 minutes ago, she along with the rest of the bandits ran after the illusions on the mere hope that it was the real robin hood.

The unicorn represents the loss of youth. You'll understand when you hit your middle age.

You're confused about this scene? I'm more confused of the scene before it when they are saying Schmendrick can't make Robin Hood appear or something.

In addition to reminding her that she's simply old, the unicorn serves as another mockery to Molly Grue. Seeing a unicorn in her current state is kinda like a big fuck you to every dream Molly ever had.

See, seeing a unicorn to a little girl isn't about getting to look at a rare funny pony with a horn coming out of its head. When you see a unicorn, it means that you are officially the prettiest daintiest little princess on your block, that you are a good virginal being of immense purity deserving of this great honor. Some modern audience might not get it, but purity and chasteness were a big thing surrounding unicorn mythology and highly valued.

So Molly grew up hoping that someday she could earn the honor of being that special pretty princess that a unicorn shows herself to. And she has that hope for years and years, it seems she even wished it into adulthood after most young women would put away such childish things. She's lived a hard life and that kinda dream probably kept her going. And now she sees this unicorn, and what is she now? She's a dried up old hag. She lives with a gang of bandits, her husband is the leader. It's not unreasonable to guess that she has been raped and gangbanged six ways to sunday. She is, at least in her mind, very far away from that virginal ideal. She's used goods. The unicorn, symbol of purity, shows up after all that, and it's this huge insult and humiliation now.

Imagine if you were a kid, and there was something you wanted, like a shiny red bicycle. But for some reason you just never get one. And you want it a long time, you dream about riding that bike, for years and years, but Santa never brings it for Christmas no matter what and you don't get to have one as an adult either. Then one day when you're really really old and crippled and you can't even walk anymore, somebody shows up and says "hey, guess what? here's that bicycle you were waiting for! :^)" and it just makes you feel like crap because you can't even ride it.

I bet she frequents /mlp/.

The whole movie is full of confusing scene

You mean when they said he couldn't make legends into reality? Then he conjured up some illusions to fuck with them?

Come to think of it, making a legend into reality is kinda what he did when the unicorn turned into a human

What confused you about it? Molly said he was a shit and they should kill him so he let loose and managed to come up with something.

It makes more sense if you're familiar with his other stories about Schmendrick, and why he had so much trouble with magic.

If you read the books, you'd know he kind of pulled a spell that had already been done. Another magician had turned a male unicorn into a human, and he ended up marrying a young woman and ruling a kingdom as a mortal.

It's a "Where were you when I needed you most?" moment. As in, where were you when I was still innocent. It's pretty sad.

But it's a little triumph that she can forgive. In the book she's very close to the unicorn after this whereas Schmendrick goes all emo because he no longer has her to himself.

>casting shade on granny

I see the character design is similar to the movie.

Unicorns are selfish cunts who only show up to the "pure", without understanding the difficulty of living as a mortal, of desire, or love, or sacrifice, any of that shit. Molly is pissed because only NOW does the unicorn show up, now that her life is nothing she wanted it to be. Now that she's married to a dope, and his band of idiots, far from her dreams of knights and adventure. The Unicorn failed her, because it thought itself better than her.

you really don't get it? she's older, no longer in her prime...the whimsy in her life largely disappeared and she settled in with those ugly idiots in the forest. Now suddenly here it is, the most beautiful thing in the world. A Unicorn.

but the fact that she can indeed actually see the unicorn for what she is - means she never gave up. It's like shock that her faithful heart has finally payed off, when anyone else would have forgotten such nonsense.

unlike haggard, who believed too much, so much so that he coveted all of them for himself. his conviction toward the impossible was such that it drove him insane and numb to anything in the world that wasn't as beautiful as a unicorn.

This minor character resembles the movie version, too.

This.

That dude unicorn was hot. I forgot why I didn't pick this up.

>I thought I was going to die.
He did. And walked dead through the rest of his days.

The use of different fonts is a neat touch.

I don't like the butterfly from the movie very much. It's the cartooniest, silliest thing in what's fairly grim and somber for a kids' film. It doesn't fit in.

What happened to that improved version of the movie? Was it actually shown in theaters? Was it ever released on Blu-Ray?

>improved version of the movie
?

yeah, i too feel he's an incredibly weird and tone-deaf way to start the movie. I outright think he's the worst part of the entire thing.

but luckily, he's there only very briefly

Supposedly new scenes were added and such. Saw it on several animation news sites.

Thirded. I liked the idea of butterflies only speaking in riddles or some shit though.

>Excellent well, you're a fishmonger!
Fuckin cunt.

Reminder that the Harpy had saggy tits.
Saggy, old, bare, naked tits.

I was disappointed I missed out on the tour but I also heard about some shady shit going on with how the author was being treated. He's old and I believe he has memory issues but shit like this breaks my heart.

vice.com/en_au/article/the-sad-strange-legal-battles-of-last-unicorn-author-peter-s-beagle

Reminder she not only had saggy tits, but three of them.

>Molly just comes across as entitled and a narcissist.

Jesus Christ OP

Molly was once a young girl in rough circumstances who believed in unicorns and believed in magic. Eventually her innocence and wonder was beaten down and stripped away by everyday life and she's no longer the person she used to be.

She's pissed off at the unicorn because she waited so long and held so much faith and now her miracle has happened, but she's old, worn down, cynical, betrayed and completely not a virgin. That's why she's pissed.

The best part of this movie is when the harpy eats the freakshow lady and the girl says, "That's how she wanted to go." Really, Molly? She wanted to be eaten by a huge bird?

It was a dark humor spin on the freakshow lady's modus operandi, if I recall. I can only specifically remember her saying something about the animals/monsters she captured having to forever remember they were once in captivity because of her, but I think there was a general theme of "if they kill me, all they'd do is make me famous forgetting killed by a monster" or "I'll always be a part of their lives" or something.

It was something like "she chose her death long ago" and it was the unicorn who said it. It demonstrates that she doesn't have a human mentality. There's a certain lack of sentiment.

>"Do not boast, old woman. Your death sits in that cage, and she hears you."
>"Oh she'll kill me one day or another. But she will remember forever that *I* caught her, and *I* held her prisoner. So there's my immortality, eh?"

The Unicorn warned Mommy Fortuna that the moment the Harpy is freed it'll kill her. Fortuna knew this and reasoned that since the Harpy is immortal and holds grudges, she'll live on as a bad memory forever even if it does exact revenge on her.

Because the whole world is magicless and dead. Were entitled for purpose and magic in life, or life shouldnt have made us in the first place.

I thought Schmendrick was the one who said that. To be fair, Madame Fortuna does admit that she knew from the start when she imprisoned a harpy that it could only ever possibly end with that harpy killing her later, but she always had a "shit man, it was worth it" mentality over it because she knew the harpy would always remember her, and in this way she would achieve immortality in a way few mortals can accomplish.

Whoops meant for

I want more.

Naw, Schmendrick was freaked the fuck out. He hated Fortuna but he was horrified at how she was mauled to death. Unicorn didn't give a shit. She says her kind are incapable of regret.

He's in the novel.

Thank you for posting this, user!

Will based user bestorytiming the rest of this?

>I never really understood what you dream of doing with me after you caught me.
Truly 'twas a purer time before /mlp/