ITT: The best comic book writer of your county. A little internationl thread for us, anons!

ITT: The best comic book writer of your county. A little internationl thread for us, anons!

I just love the work of this man. His name is Lourenço Mutarelli and his works are a interesting cross between Ted Mckeever and a dark David Lynch. He also writes books and made the most fame out of it, but its known here in Brazil as THE best author from the county. And i agree with it.

His art looks shit-hot.

Britbong here...I was going to knee-jerk it and say someone hyper avant-garde, obscure and patrician to fuck but in all honesty it's probably fucking Raymond Briggs. Most people over here just know him for The snowman or Ethel and Ernest but his "adult children's books" like The Tin-Pot General and the Iron Lady, Gentleman Jim, When The Wind Blows and the Wally books are fucking amazing. So either Raymond Briggs or Posy Simmonds, can't decide which desu.

One really interesting stuff was my dad saying that he took part of a fuckin free course with him, to how to draw comic books. Two years ago or so. Like, how the hell does a guy of his calibre even give free courses on Brazil? Its so bizarre. Comics are such a hidden art here, and only Mauricio de Sousa and his series "Turma da Monica" get some recognition.

Ted McKeever is dope af and WELL influenced by Lynch but ya image looks like something else entirely...gonna google this dude. I know, like, one Brazilian comic artist--the black dude who id the epochal comic about the three (black) sisters, totally forgotten his name though...black and white, fucking DEADLY with a brush, so expressive...dead now, though. I think L'Asso put his comics out in French. Hafta look at that Brazilian journalist who wrote for the print TCJ to find out his name, I've fucking forgotten it. Approaching middle age is a bitch, son!
That is crazy about ya pops doing a course with him.
btw not just saying this but in my meagre wordly travels, every Brazilian I've ever met has been fucking sound as FUCK ("sound" means "cool, nice", in Bongspeak, OP)!
Thanks for turning me onto the guy. I bet none of his stuff has been translated into English, though, has it?! Bastards.

Thanks, user! Brazillian people tend to be really nice to foreigners, actually. And yeah, i dont really think that any of his work got translated. But some of his work got adapted to cinema (O Cheiro do ralo and Natimorto) and those are great films. O Cheiro do Ralo is actually a book of his, and tell the story of a "bizarre" man who is in love with the most beatiful piece of ass ever. Yeah, that is actually the plot of the movie. I read the book in one night and it was a hell of a ride - and my incursion to the author. I read a Graphic Novel by him called "Diogenes" and holy shit, its was just too much. Perfect, just perfect. The man is clearly a madman.

I also forgot to translate the names, sorry user! O Cheiro do Ralo translates to The Smell of the Drain, and Natimorto to Stillborn.

Thanks user! Dunno if it's false memory syndrome but I'm sure the aforementioned Comics Journal writer reviewed a comic called Diogenes. I have a load of issues going back about 18 years.
Holy shit his work is fucking excellent! AhWoooHH fucking comics, dude is classed as an " underground" cartoonist, too--respect to anti-corporate fuckery! What are the biggest underground Brazilian publishers, please, OP?

Btw I CAN see the McKeever thing but he kind of reminds me of Al Columbia's stuff between Big Numbers and The Biologic Show comics. With a touch of Dave McKean. Anyway, he's legitimately fucking ace! Gorgeous brushwork!
PLEASE let this thread live so I can remember the name of the other Brazilian cartoonist who I mentioned who did the comic about the three black sisters...argh! Doin' me 'ead in!

Oh, Ba and Moon are Brazilian, aren't they? And isn't Rafael Granpa, too?!

Although Hector German Oesterheld might be a stronger dramatic writer, I'm still constantly amazed by the sheer volume and steady level of quality of Carlos Trillo. El Loco Chavez, el Negro Blanco, Cybersix, Custer, Clara de Noche, Borderline, Las Puertitas del Señor Lopez, Sick Bird... this was a guy who up until the very end of his life just couldn't stop writing. And he did it all. From the most traditional of comedies/soap operas to post apocalyptic noir, psychological thrillers, crime stories... it's absolutely nuts.
I miss him dearly, Sup Forums.

Yes they are! First brazillians to get that Eisner Award i guess. And im sorry user, but i really dont know any publishers from here. Everything is so underground and hidden that, combining with the fact that i live in a small city from Brazil, it doesnt help.

Have you ever heard about Shiko?
He is a fuckin amazing ilustrator/writer from the state i live, Paraíba. He got some serious shit going on, and you should check it out.

Huh. Never figured you for an Argentine.

Im the OP btw.
>went to check it out my fellow latin comic book writer
>date of death: UNKNOWN
>presumed dead

Fuck, Latin America is tough.

Oesterheld's story is fascinating and I'm surprised no one's made a movie yet

Hah what is it about Brazilian cartoonists and really expressive, loose brush work?!?! Fucking love it. Haven't heard of Shiko but that drawing is so good and so fucked up I shall investigate. Thank you once more, BrazilAnon!

>Judge user is an Argie
who would've thought

Rafael Grampá work reminds me so much of Paul Pope and Mike Allred. So based.

The dead Dutch (?) guy who Paul Pope frequently namechecks? He was a wicked genre artist. Would've been great for a Dredd story.

Well, when Robert fucking Crumb praises your brush technique to your face, you know you're fucking doing something good, am I right?!

Oesterheld was Argentinian. I actually think he went missing the same year Judge Dredd started

Oíd mortales el grito sagrado, che.

Yyyep. There is a pretty good book about it that came out recently.

Fuck me, that's some good art.

fight me

It may have a connection with how expressive and powerful the art we create here is. Everything, from cinema to literature to art, it is infused with heavy doses of social critique and expressive use of imagery.

Dunno about Pope, but I did see this in an issue of Aja's Iron Fist.

Fuckin nice. I wonder if Seaguy, by Grant Morrison, was inspired by El Eternauta. It recently was translated to portuguese in a nice trade paperback edition, so i guess im going to get it. Or just take an old version in spanish and read it with a Spanish Dictionary with me.

After this shit storm you have to be kidding.

he just had a bad couple of years, DK3 is good and Last Crusade was one of the best American comics last year

and that doesn't discount all the other GOAT work he's done over the years

I could bring up all start Batman and robin if you would like.

ASBAR is a brilliant parody of the very sort of 90s edgelord hero that TDKR/Watchmen imitators created

>still no Slaves of Mickey Eye collection
>STILL no Seaguy Eternal