JSA Storytime: Captain Atom

Good evening owls,

guest-starring Magog

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cw9dK2hrr1A
scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1017?ArticleID=188736
comicbook.com/dc/2017/01/06/dc-rebirths-wally-west-doesnt-remember-having-kids/
forbes.com/sites/robsalkowitz/2017/01/06/marvel-sweetens-its-retail-value-with-new-digital-bonuses-for-comic-buyers/#54625423e702
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Max, you cock

>time for a Meaningful Lesson Flashback

Is the implication that killing Nate is right?

That's our Magog!

no, it's a cackhanded setup for the rest of the issue

killing a pure husbando is never right

Oh Magog! What will he do next!

spoiler: it involves being a dick

kick his ass, please

and he's a chauvinist to boot

kek

Booster :(

Why would Max make his staff fire radiation? To force Nate to absorb his attacks and cause the very catastrophe he is trying to prevent?

youtube.com/watch?v=cw9dK2hrr1A

Max is trying to kill Nate (because he's a serious disruptive element), and he's a very hard man to kill.

Woah, the blast was so strong it fucked with the page itself.

Oh my god the radiation is actually messing up the page!

I thought Max were trying to kill Magog by LIFE'S order?

actual scans--I know, right?

As anyone who is following this page already knows, GREEN ARROW has always been my favorite comic character and it was the GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW series by Denny O’Neil, Neal Adams and Dick Giordano that inspired me to get into the comic business. After having drawn both characters in backup features, I was fortunate enough to have been in the DC offices when Denny announced he was resurrecting the title. I marched straight into his office and said, “Okay, who do I have to kill?”

A dozen years later, I returned to Green Arrow with THE LONGBOW HUNTERS, which led to the first series with the character starring in his own title and, ultimately, to the CW series ARROW.

And now I’m home again.

Now, if I can just talk DC into letting me write the book… and a hard-cover edition for the 30th anniversary of THE LONGBOW HUNTERS would be nice… and a pony… and a Red Ryder B.B. gun…

scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1017?ArticleID=188736

He kind of is, too

Why am I suddenly reading Magog with Canderous' voice? It doesn't even make sense. I guess I've been playing too much KOTOR.

Jeeeeeesus Nate's scary when he lets loose.

also, these civilians are really stupid

That last part is kinda mean on Percy but I suppose that's when you should look at annuals and minis and shit.

Saw someone cosplayed Warlord on his site, too.

It fucking snowed today!

Hey look, it's Azzarello's Wonder Woman

Did I miss some news? Is he back at DC?

HI X-user

I admit I'm waiting on Seven to Eternity because the first issue was a crawl.

Doing covers for GA.

Holy shit, X-user's back! It's a New Year's Miracle!

it didn't snow here but it's cold, user, I'm so cold

;___;

SORRY page out of order

Okay I didn't expect Magog to blow his own head apart.

and now, page 17

He'll make you kill each other with rocks and your bare hands!

welp

Damn, that's a good Nate scene.

Hiya OP! Yeah, the first issue was pretty decompressed. The real plot starts with the second one, which is funny since the first arc is only 4 issues long.

You can't keep a bad X-fag down!

>it didn't snow here but it's cold, user, I'm so cold

You Texans wouldn't know cold if it walked up and shook your hand.

>Max didn't make him say "Don't lose your head" or similar

I lived in Chicago for five years.

so even for Max, this is a new level of fucked-up shit

we know what happens when Nate eats way too much energy...

He explodes?

comicbook.com/dc/2017/01/06/dc-rebirths-wally-west-doesnt-remember-having-kids/
I fucking hate DC coloring sometimes. This shit coloring makes art look generic house style art.
As good of an editor Marie Javins and Alex Antone are, their Superhero books really suffer from mediocre art.

don't you have teenie comics to be writing, Mark

i thought we were off tonight

i'm hype for Spencer bringing back Nixon

Nah, few citizens is not a new level. He controlled best boy Supes and tried to kill few good people by him. It's worse.

we're off tomorrow

wait, what about Dick Nixon?

I think this is the last issue of Gen Lost that I read.

After mentioning it for weeks, I finally started storytiming the first few issues of Clean Room

looking like HYDRA Civil War event is called Secret Empire

time travel now!? i had forgotten all of this series

unstoppable wasp was really good and the overreaction of hate is hilarious and sad.

I'm so happy it's not Booth art.

Nate's had one jaunt into the Bad Future already

>don't you have teenie comics to be writing, Mark

I'm busy learning to be #woke

RIP digital free code you get with your Marlel physical release. Marvel really isn't leaving their audiences a lot of reasons to spend a dollar more on their products.
forbes.com/sites/robsalkowitz/2017/01/06/marvel-sweetens-its-retail-value-with-new-digital-bonuses-for-comic-buyers/#54625423e702

it is fucking mind boggling to me people bought comics for the code. this new move seems like a no brainer they should've done for the start

Between this and the 10% overshipping titles, marvel R E A L L Y wants people to read their shit and is determined to continue shitty ways instead of seeing what they're doing wrong.

Spoiler: it's the fact that they just announced a new event when CW2 just finished

>Reading anything Memender at all in the first place
Haven't you read books of bland protagonists constantly victimized for the sake of deep characterization enough times already OP?

I didn't read it, but I found this exchange about it interesting

twitter.com/OliverSava/status

/816668321231884288

I also saw some eye-roll worthy "Marvel's problem is that they're still offering safe alternatives to new books instead of committing fully to the New Audience" comments on Twitter. No, really, both/and is the way to go if you want to continue making money while attracting this New Audience, who might also, hmmm, actually want to read something like, say, a Tony Stark book, having seen three Tony Stark movies.

Opena art son/daughter !

It was honestly a nice incentive.

the alcoholism in Fear Agent hit me in the right/wrong place

you get the code, you pass along one or the other to a friend, you've got extra value. Now it's "lol extra shit you might or might not want" at comparative random

>you get the code, you pass along one or the other to a friend, you've got extra value. Now it's "lol extra shit you might or might not want" at comparative random
I've also seen people selling them for a buck or two on ebay so they recoup a couple dollars on their physical purchase and somebody else gets a cheaper digital copy

Honestly with marvel is sounds like they hit with a new audience a good bit, but said audience just isn't in the DM/diamond market, i.e. where most of the money seems to come from and it isn't as stable as normal comic fans.
So they're trying to have the best of both worlds by trying to get their old audience more invigorated but doesn't realize they're just doubling down on bullshit people don't like.

>Marvel's problem is that they're still offering safe alternatives to new books instead of committing fully to the New Audience
I can see this point definitely. For example Sam Wilson book really suffered in terms of plot structure, importance and sales when they brought back Steve. Now it's just a useless book that Spencer will use as a mouthpiece until it eventually gets cancelled.

Hmmm. i think i was forgiving of that aspect and chalked it up as a choice to show her lack of socialization.

sidenote, feels weird saying things are overwritten while rereading Starman because that is some purple prose.

maybe it's a me thing, i'd just rather have Thing X and a Grab Bag than 2 copes of thing X

apparently trading codes was a big thing for the carol corps

also the Sam Wilson book just pissed off the New Audience something fierce with that last sisue

Can't say I agree with Whitley being better on shorter stories.

Sam's books quality is irrelevant to it's "importance" or whatever I think. i don't think spencer/marvel is like "that's the book that doesn't matter"

Lopresti's Nate always has the best hair.

there's overwriting that works and overwriting that doesn't. Starman is like Mawrdew, it's all part of the style, as compared to like, Late Claremont.

I think what the comment I read is advocating, though, is more like "Your Spidey book will be Miles only and you'll like it", which is just a way to lose sales from the significant Peter block.

Is that the new event that was like WE CAN'T TELL YOU RIGHT ABOUT ANYTHING BUT IT'LL BE GREAT?

And worst-case, you're inviting a HEAT 2.0. Now with social media!

awwww, that old J'onn

>HEAT 2.0
PEAT?

Still cackling over marvel have a $35 CLASSIFIED book and not telling retailers and readers shit about it

>there's overwriting that works and overwriting that doesn't. Starman is like Mawrdew, it's all part of the style, as compared to like, Late Claremont.

i agree, it just struck me as funny. i might have to storytime it to have talks and ask questions on Sup Forums about it. like a dwarf in the carnival talks about a bad dwarf messing with him. is that a dr psycho reference?

Spencer's event has been building in his books since SteveCap launched. actually even earlier, Standoff.

hell you could say it goes to Remender since he dropped the "EVERY TEAM HAS A MOLE" thing

how great would a miniseries of J'onn through the centuries between modern and 31st be. 1- issues, each a covering a century, end with him meeting Brande

At least it'll please all the optimists. Until it actually hits.

I mean at this point it's just another token representation book that's counting the days until it gets cancelled unless it gets huge boosts because of eventual Hydra war tie ins.
>I think what the comment I read is advocating, though, is more like "Your Spidey book will be Miles only and you'll like it", which is just a way to lose sales from the significant Peter block.
Yeah that's definitely a thing. Alternatively it could work as Female Thor type scenario where the book that replaces is selling much more than the previous one. But that scenario was a one off. I don't think that sort of thing will ever happen again.

I was always wondering:
How is Damian so tall here? How is he still alive?
Why is son of Grayson wears RED HOOD
Why is descendant of Hawk and Dove black?

Being a shapeshifter...should J'onn look that old?

The idea that Marvel will solve its current problems by devoting all the resources to (a very particular conception of) The New Audience and that's what will make it stick, it's just so wrong to me I can't even get into it.

I would rather have a digital copy than the comics equivalent of a cereal toy. Plus with how incentives work this is probably be going to be grouped up so nice bonuses you might genuinely want get grouped up with shit you don't want to buy.

The more pressing question is, I think, "Why are so many of the current Marvel books just not very good storytelling". This is how it was put to me by someone who loved Now 1.0, is way more into replacements than I am, but has dropped almost everything Now 2.0

overthrow the chains of diamond! Seize the means of distribution!!

Do people actually like J'onn or is it just the backlash against Cyborg?

Been wondering this for years.

I love that Shazam design

>Do people actually like J'onn or is it just the backlash against Cyborg?
bit of both probably

as has been discussed in threads before, they seem to stretched out and no organizing vision behind it all.

and i'm a supporter of their shit

My favorite one is Thomas Grayson, who is apparently related to Dick, has a name after Jason, yet has new 52 Slade's fashion sense.

Is Nixon still in charge? I thought that had long passed.

There's a good component of #2 but I think there's a lot of fondness for J'onn from things like the Chocos issue (thanks Ostrander/Mahnke)

There's definitely no energy to the tentpole books, at a moment when their general notice in pop culture is so high.

I like Gumby Plastic Man.

also named after Bruce's brother (or whatEVER he is)

Hohoho. Coming in late.

This weeks Superman, with it's Multiverse shenanigans really make me regret only having heard of Infinite Crisis like a year after it died almost immediately after launch.

This isn't really connected to anything in this thread, just a random thought.

Have an eSports Krypto.

>Why are so many of the current Marvel books just not very good storytelling
Who needs it when you can make it seem like you're always in the lead by throwing around free copies and making shitty incentive variants. Marvel is content with mediocrity while pushing the shit they really care about. Example: Post resurrection lineup of Inhumans and X-Men

>also named after Bruce's brother (or whatEVER he is)
also his dad

> no energy to the tentpole books

which is strange bc those are some of the few I'm really enjoying. SteveCap, both Thors, USAvengers...(I liked the first 2 issues of Riri but Bendis'll shit the bed)

that dex-starr is on one side but a human appears on the other is raising a lot of questions for me. i'll just assume it's Comet

SoCal Hal was the best thing

What are your favorite books of Marvel 2.0 user?

Maybe they should have dusted off old Magog a couple years ago. He's primed and ready for a Black Lives Matter storyline!

It would probably not be a good storyline.