Adventure Time

Is this still the best Sup Forums show on air?

The animation is still charming. Its morals are more subtle and less enabling than others. The humor is more on point than a lot of adult cartoons thanks to better voice direction and timing. Its probably the most imaginative and experimental show in recent memory.

So why did you abandon it?

Other urls found in this thread:

overthinkingit.com/2013/07/23/adventure-time-morality/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because the show's direction became way top fucking social justice warriory. Too many Fedora tippers on the show.

Because it tried to become more story driven and failed at that. Also, the humor was never anything special and being "experimental" means jack shit if you still bend to the knee of the Status Quo.

It's unironically my favorite show of all time but fuck off OP, it's done more than enough shit that anyone who drops it needs offer no explanation. AT expects the audience to put up with a very large amount of bullshit.

Still love it though. Not sure how it ranks compared to any other show on air because I go from sort of disliking it to adoring it but it's at least up there I think.

>Is this still the best Sup Forums show on air?

The fact that they are people over the age of sixteen who still believe this is laughable.

I actually left around season 3 because the schedule was so erratic and it was never good enough to go out of my way to stream.

I came back recently to the newer episodes and found a better appreciation of the show for all the reasons listed above. I could see why people would leave since the show drops plotline and makes retcons pretty frequently. I atleast have the benefit of having all the episodes laid out for me to binge or watch in my own order.

Kinda needed to phrase the question in the OP that pathetically to maximize my bumps.

What does that mean?

I left after Breezy and I hear it got a lot better after that. I just can't imagine dealing with all that shit to get the good parts.

I'd say the characters have each changed a lot. What would the show need to not be status quo to you?

Newfags communicate via buzzwords. No one knows what they mean.

it means AT is fucking shit. it got stale by season 5 and nothing has changed since then.

>The animation is still charming

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is nearly 80 years old and it still looks better than 90% percent of animated shows on TV, including Adventure Time.

>Its morals are more subtle and less enabling than others

Yeah because morals soooooooooooooo make a show, I remember when it first starts and was pretty much a parody of all those forced morals tripe, now it's unironically "moral heavy", it's in quotations because it's so pretentious, it forgets its own morals half the time.

>The humor is more on point than a lot of adult cartoons

A fucking voice actor on Adventure Time made a better show on Adult Swim.

>better voice direction and timing

Yeah, cause I can soooooo feel the feels(TM) of the later seasons from all the unenthusiastic, forced and unnatural voice direction, and timing is something it lost back in a better time.

>most imaginative and experimental show in recent memory

"Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason." Jerry Seinfeld
Adventure Time expects it audience to just aspect it's weird "avant grade" way of "storytelling" as a means to cover up all its plotholes, inconstancies and all around terrible story structure that barely has the main character affected by or learn from the world he inhabits. Maybe that's way Steven Universe is so much better, sure the gems know everything, but Steven doesn't and he continuously learns and grows, yeah he should ask more questions, but he's goes though the motions of an actual character whenever a revelation pops up.

fucking wrekt

wew, i thought all the AT apologists left this board forever ago.

There was a huge gap between episodes airing at one point and I never got around to picking it back up. I wouldn't NOT watch it... I just don't.

Then I'll translate then.

The moral in pic related is actually insightful and teaches that friends and lovers won't always stick by you if you stray away from what you were upon meeting them. Also not to force romantic love on an infatuation when it's clear that you want different futures. Compare this to Steven Universe's "Greg the Babysitter" where it comes up with the enabling and just not true moral of 'you choose whether to grow up".

The show is just more funny than most others because it's complemented more by the direction (pacing, character expressions, and the voice acting). Shows like American Dad, whose humor reminds me of AT, fail because their animation is so static and whenever they go into an irrelevant joke, it slows down the pacing of the plot of that episode.

It really is just imaginative and experimental. I cite episodes with guest animators to support the latter.

i dropped in frost and fire when finn became a massive fucking creeper out of nowhere. things were good, great even, between him and flame princess, and then he just suddenly shat it all down the drain because he had a dream with the cosmic owl in it.

I don't know how that makes AT's animation bad.

It's a kids show and morals give a show a point beyond just mindless events. I'm not advocating for hamfisted morals akin to "Now what did we learn today kid?"

That guy teamed up with Dan Harmon. Have you seen the original Rick and Morty? It's honestly pretty bad.

I don't know why your projecting the feels as part of my argument. It hardly gets feelsy or breaks away from the irreverent, yet serious tone on all the characters.

To say Finn or any of the other characters don't change is just untrue. Now you bring up a good point, Finn specifically doesn't react the way a normal person would and is either really stoic or way too intense. That's an issue I notice, but I just go with.

honestly I think that arc gets a bit too much hate. i think they handled it bad with subsequent episodes where Finn keeps fucking up long past the point where he should have got his shit together, but the basic concept is decent. Finn fucks up in the first legitimate romantic relationship he's ever had and goes through a pretty bad slump but eventually emerges on the other side a bit stronger in character works fine enough.

the problem is the relationship with FP was so damn hollow because before the breakup they were seen together like 4 times and that's it. Finn spent more time moping over his girlfriend than he spent interacting with his fucking girlfriend, that right there is a fuckup.

in the long term i think that arc, while awful to enjoy at the time it was occurring, was alright enough because it made Finn feel more real (at times infuriatingly so) and now i find his current state of him sort of being chill and on the level more believable, or something like that.

Puberty is probably the blanket reason why he became such a creeper. It sounds lazy but it explains his creepiness in episodes like the one where he plays with living dolls or kisses a shitton of princesses.

Most people hate the show for what they wanted it to be, rather than what it is.

Flute Spell was a amazing episode btw.

>abandon it
I do the same thing I always do. Catch up once every year or so

On the topic or morals in AT I remember reading this article which I thought was sort of interesting
>overthinkingit.com/2013/07/23/adventure-time-morality/

Soley focued on the first season but I think it has some neat stuff on the topic of AT's moral lessons and how it applies to fairy-tales and stuff, even if I think the author didn't exactly get the show.

the thing is finn and flame princess are supposed to be the same age. so why is FP acting way way more mature about it?
inconsistency is my biggest issue. things just seem to happen.

Age is not the same as emotional maturity.

i agree that that in particular is a load of bullshit. i mean, i GUESS i can buy that FP had the potential to be mature all along, but it really was awkward the way that switch was flipped. she was just like "okay, i know i'm a sheltered teenage girl who basically never dealt with the real world, but now i'm gonna up the ante and get my shit together unlike Finn" but the fact that it actually worked is pretty dumb, and not very satisfying storytelling. i don't know.

also, holy fuck how is her whole "no lies in my kingdom" policy still going strong? it's been like 3 years show. when that happened i was like "oh neat, the show's gonna have her try this policy then fail horribly because all honesty all the time is a terrible idea and FP will suffer and then actually mature" but that just never fucking happened. so i guess she is totally mature? and her all honesty policy actually works? that's fucking retarded dawg. i'm dumbstruck that this has never been elaborated on, i guess the writers either forgot or give so little shits about FP that they don't care enough to go into it.

>So why did you abandon it?

I didn't. I won't defend everything about it like some people will, but I still enjoy it for the most part.

I agree with all of these to some degree (aside from the Snow White comment, modern day cartoons are made as cheaply as possible so no shit it won't look as nice as fucking 30's Disney) but think none of them are bad enough to make the show terrible, or even not good really. That doesn't make it objectively great or anything but I certainly still like it lots.

I think you summed it up pretty well with that.

Flute Spell was really fun and showed a lot of maturity for Finn in how he deals with relationships. It honestly helped me get hooked back into the show. I always dug Huntress Wizard's design and her episode being so tight was just pure fanservice for me. Considering she was a busy background character and the ending of this episode was so ambiguous, I doubt this'll be her last appearance.

>Because the show's direction became way top fucking social justice warriory.

I think you're confusing AT with Steven Universe.

The first season had plenty of morals, Thief City and The Ocean episodes come to mind.

I'm with these fellas. Just because I don't make 24/7 generals or make hundreds of daily threads about every little thing about this show does not mean I abandoned it. If anything, CN abandoned it by not showing it anymore.