END OF THE ROAD, Galvatron

what did Sup Forums think of this gem of a movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7ld197bAc8w
tfwiki.net/wiki/The_many_deaths_of_Optimus_Prime
tfwiki.net/wiki/To_sell_toys
youtube.com/watch?v=yhLh4pw44uw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It touched me

Fun ride but a bit played out. Also, Touch is one of the worst songs on the soundtrack. Dare is the better stan bush song, and Instruments of Destruction is the best song on it in general.

the animation is so good and it's just so much fun on a conceptual and technical level that you can easily forgive the silly excuse for a plot

good movie

By a wide margin, it's better than anything Bay ever made.

I used to play war for cyber tron multiplayer to its soundtrack. I always got hyped for that.

Ive always believed that myself but how could you make a new movie with the Gen 1 characters? I cant see it working on a live action basis

>instruments of destruction not hunger

Step it up user

Literally me

>blasting instruments of destruction while playing as the cons
>nothin gonna stand in our way for the bots

Hype as fuck

>the animation is so good

Eeeh, its alright. If you want to see really nice mecha animation from the 80's, Macross: DoYou Remember Love is top tier.

It's good for a children's toy commercial you weeaboo

Macross is also a children's toy commercial, though.

I first saw it when my only exposure to Transformers was Armada. I was pretty torn up when Optimus died and I didn't fully understand why.

Saw it when I was 4 when I rented it from a video store.. Holy shit did it scar the fuck out of me at some scenes.

I love it to this day. I think I rented that VHS til it was worn the fuck out.

It was cool at first.

Then Prime died

Then the asshole in your pic, who fucking got Prime killed,, gets the Matrix for no good reason, on top of just being an unlikable shitstain

I was a kid when I first saw it an I'm still salty about it

Does Macross sell toys to children? It's always seemed more of an adult collectors thing.
At least nowadays, I can't say for back in the day.

>that scene inside unicron when the autobots are being melted by acid

gotta say the first time I saw the movie that scene played in my dreams for a solid month. granted I was a kid, that part was just really shocking. I watched it 3 more times.

...It was damn near perfect.

>Instruments of Destruction

You mean Hunger, right?

Classic, energetic and fun, but way too overrated by most transfags. I know it's not the movie's fault, but I wish it hadn't been quoted and referenced so fucking much in other media.

Saw it first when I was just getting into the franchise, didn't care to watch it all the way through at first, but I was surprised by how many big names they killed off.

Pure nostalgia. As per tradition, every year on my birthday I watch it and the gi Joe movie.

Just re-watched it the other day, it's oddly better than I remember it being.

I somewhat forced a friend to watch it with me, and he kept commenting on how brutal all the carnage was, which was funny.

Imagine being a child that went to see the movie to the cinemas with all his hype for his favourites characters. Then all are dead.

It empowered me.

>All those Autobots that were slated to die in the movie, but for whatever reason they didn't make the cut
>They still completely vanish from the series in the last two Seasons anyway

Shit was tight. I'd rather watch it on repeat for 6 hours than any one of the new movies. Never have I been so bored watching explosions than during those movies.

Fantastic, even by today's standards.Great soundtrack, tons of great fights, and the animation for the most part holds up well today.

Let's also not forget great voice work from Peter Cullen (as usual), but also Leonard Nimoy and Orson Welles.

There was a story in the comics where Straxus did that as well. Scary shit.

Fuck Hot Rod.

Strong opening but kinda petered out towards the end. It's been a while though, might give it another shot.

It's one movie full of quotable, classic lines, whereas Bay's 4 movies only have "nononononono".

"Why do you throw away your life so recklessly?"
"That's a question you should ask yourself, Megatron."

I had alot of fun imagining what UK comics/tech spec Grimlock would do to Wheelie.

Heh heh.

"One shall stand. One shall fall."

"Nobody summons Megatron."

something something FUTURE (FUTURE)
something something CROSS OF HEAT
TRANSFORMER
something something something BURNING HEART! (BURNING HEART!)
DA-ASH DA-ASH DA-ASH DA-ASH! TRAN-TRANSFORMERS!
youtube.com/watch?v=7ld197bAc8w

Jettison some weight or we'll never make it to Cybertron.

It is a total clusterfuck, but if you can watch it with the eyes of a 7 year old child, then it is hell of a lot of fun. You just need to suspend your disbelief quite a bit more and enjoy the ride while blasting up the music to max.

That's not an achievement. I could take a shit and it would be greater than anything Bay ever made.

The movie was a coming of age story with the young generation taking up the pace of the elders who heroically sacrifice themselves for their sake. Hotrod makes mistakes but learns and becomes a better person in the end. Of course coming from the rollercoaster of silliness that is the G1 cartoon, this is probably too difficult to understand.

The only fault with Hotrod was that they didn't knew what the fuck to do with him later on, and typecasted him with his most monumental fuckup from the movie, making him a blundering idiot.

Hunger and Nothings gonna stand in our way were the best tunes in the movie, along with the metal TF theme and DiCola's electronica soundtrack. Unicrons theme was blood chilling.

Yeah, but I'm so fucking sick of the TF movie being quoted over and over and over again.

It's like the joke in the comics where Rodimus keeps saying "Till all are one" every time he is about to fart. That's how over used the movie quotes are.

Fellow Decepticons Astrotrain has requested that we lighten our burden

>robot who turns into a vehicle with wheels
>makes a jokes about roads
This movie was true kino and no one ever realized.

>they didn't knew what the fuck to do with him later on,
It's been a few years since I watched season three but I seem to remember Rodimus and Galvatron not showing up that much. Ultra Magnus and Cyclonus were the main focuses of most episodes.

>Judd Nelson will never reprise his role in a Devastation sequel

Well, he dies in Armada too. Went out like a G too.

He dies in almost every continuation of the series. It's practically a running gag at this point.

Optimus dies a lot.

Let's see:
G1 three times
Primal dies twice
Once in Armada, my memory of Energon and Cybertron is fuzzy but I think he makes it
Once in Animated
And at the end of Prime

Can't comment on anything in the comics though.

Not sure if it counts, but he does a lot in the Japanese G1 continuations as well. It is a fetish I think to bring him back and then kill him again.

They even kill characters that look like him or gained their power from him.

The man loves to die.

This'll help:

tfwiki.net/wiki/The_many_deaths_of_Optimus_Prime

Found a better one.

It was already a joke by the end of Beast wars season 1. Keep in mind, that was only the second new TF cartoon in the US at the time.
>Oh, you Optimuses do love to sacrifice yourselves, don't you

Still, by then, you have 5 Optimus deaths in the west; the G1 movie, twice in the Marvel comic, G2, and Beast Wars. arguably the half-death of his resurrected self in Dark Awakening, too.

Factoring in Japan, though, they actually killed G1 Optimus AGAIN shortly after bringing him back. Then brought him back a few years later.

>Can't comment on anything in the comics though.

He dies (and comes back) twice in the Marvel Comics US run. Three if you count G2.

Don't forget that Japan would often somehow link new leader characters to him, sometimes even making them look just like him to boot.

These characters also die. Truly, they are following in his footsteps.

>"Then it pleases me to be the first."

Ahh man I remember this movie having some good visuals, but this isn't one of them.

Look at Cybertron, it looks like fabric being ripped up.

The final fight between Megatron and Optimus Prime remains a personal favorite.

I can't stop seeing loss is everything.

in the comics Prime and Megatron enter a video game to decide the winner of the war.
It's discovered that Megatron was cheating in the game and was caught.

but in the fight Optimus killed some NPCs and demanded that he be declared the loser and self destructs in the real world.

Optimus is a glorious retard in the comics.

Pyro, after rebuilding himself to look like Optimus Prime, dies by sacrificing himself in Last Stand of the Wreckers.

Now how the fuck did that kill him? There doesn't even look like there's internal damage.

>Animated gets it over with in the opening three-parter
>He only dead for like, a minute to boot

Dare is the better Stan Bush song because he didn't write or perform it. He just did the vocals.

I think it was from Galvatron's arm canon.

The story and pacing is a jumbled mess, the only reason it's better than the bayformers is because its 80 minutes instead of 150

So much was cut from the movie leading to so many plot holes during production

Optimus in this movie is legit dead, as in for real. He got brought back because kids were traumatized by the death.

It was my favorite movie for the most of my childhood. I loved that thing. Watched it all the time, from when i was about eight to thirteenish.

I didnĀ“t know Jetfire had a human inside.

I'll never understand why they made Rodimus into the leader

To push more toys.
People (children) getting attached to last year's characters wasn't something executives or toy companies had planned for at the time.

tfwiki.net/wiki/To_sell_toys

I think that I don't care what Michael Bay does to Transformers, because nothing he does will EVER erase this:
youtube.com/watch?v=yhLh4pw44uw

I know "why", but why?

Especially in the mind of a child, Rodimus was never a leader or successor to Optimus, at best he was a placeholder.

To add insult to injury Galavtron was introduced in the same movie, who was basically still Megatron.

You mean why him specifically? Probably to mirror how Optimus Prime was young and foolish as Orion Pax, but climbed the ladder and became the wise, powerful leader we know and love.

TO

SELL

TOYS

That's literally it. To sell toys. They didn't know kids actually cared about the characters. It was not a factor in their decision. Money was the sole reason.

>To add insult to injury Galavtron was introduced in the same movie, who was basically still Megatron.
Are you saying that they might as well have done the same to Optimus and just gave him a new body like Megatron?

I'm just venting mango

I know this was a decision made by the deepest pits of executive assholes with zero understanding of their own product or stroy, but still.

Sure.
It would've been a cop-out and stupid as fuck. But I would've bought it as a stupid toddler

Reminder that Transformers vs. G.I. Joe was one of the best comics of 2016.

Not even for this?:

Its pure, undiluted 80s in animated movie form.

Did you just call me fat?

Pat Lee did nothing wrong

He set a HILL on FIRE.

>tfw I liked the DW run, especially the second volume with Shockwave

>Pat Lee is still a terrible artist, Don Figueroa is overrated as well

xD

I still find it amazing, almost 30 years after seeing it as a kid. Yeah, it's cheesy as hell, but it's Transformers fighting Orson Welles, you can't fucking top that.

it's the origin for a lot of Transformers stuff, so it could be worth a watch if you're interested, but it's in no way a "gem" or great movie.

It was fucking awesome, but it really shocked me as a kid. I had no idea Transformers could be so dark.

Isn't there a fake movie adaptation coming out this year?

The quality of this movie zig-zags so much it makes my head spin

The animation literally goes from Movie quality to TV quality between frames

Maybe I'm a shill but I'm super impressed how the 30th anniv. Blu-ray cleaned up stuff in the background.

It's really something else if you ask me.

the soundtrack, the lore, the humor and violence the chances it took...you know it's like it's a real fucking movie they were making. They actually cared.

and they succeeded big time I'd say. It's easily one of the most entertaining children's films I've ever seen.

emblematic of an era, perhaps. It could never get made today...not without having it be more about the stupid ass human characters.