I wasn't here when Gravity falls ended. How come people didn't like weirdmageddon?

I wasn't here when Gravity falls ended. How come people didn't like weirdmageddon?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ERj4O_v7_Ck
io9.gizmodo.com/after-just-two-weeks-gravity-falls-fans-complete-incre-1784794817
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They answered the big mystery halfway through the second season so everyone stopped caring, just like Twin Peaks.

because Sup Forums hates Mabel

Because it was probably one of the least threatening bill episodes when he should have been at his scariest.

Rushed

This
Also somewhat this, but their shouldve been more serious mysterys after this

It was rushed, probably should've been longer, and too much time was spent rescuing Mabel for her to have very little relevance in defeating Bill.

Part 1 was decent, Part 2 was awful, Part 3 was disappointing.

I wasn't here when it ended either. After binging the show it just felt off. Anything of actual importance was rushed while Weirdmageddon as a whole felt like it went on too long. Too much filler, too rushed substance. Also characters doing complete 180's on any development they had felt awful.

Which characters are you referring to specifically with the development thing?

They wanted a downer ending. Basically, they failed to realize that, for subversive as it could be at times, Gravity Falls is, at its core, a kid's show. It was never going to end on anything but a happy note and that's fucking fine.

I knew it was never gonna happen on a kid's show, but I still think the story could've gone alright if Mabel died.

Mostly Stan during the whole "everybody circle up" bit, Soos running off to be with his dad even though there was an entire episode about him being over it and content with the fact that his dad left him, and everything involving Dipper still going nuts for Wendy even though one of the earliest episodes that season gave him closure about it. Admittedly that last one goes beyond Weirdmageddon and plagued the second half of season 2 in general, but still.

Also, Mabel still being a selfish moron who expects Dipper to sacrifice everything for her despite supposedly learning her lesson about that.

I can't be the only person who was absolutely convinced that Bill wasn't going to be the main bad guy. He just never had that vibe to me. He seemed more like the weird trickster villain who's either the herald of the real bad guy or running away from the real bad guy.

When he actually turned out to be the ultimate evil of the show I was super disappointed.

He definitely didn't come off as the series' ultimate villain in his first appearance, and didn't really come off as it in his second. (Though being singlehandedly defeated by a little girl that time didn't help)

While irritating, I could almost pass that off either because she's 12 or because sometimes you get kinda oblivious to it with family, siblings in particular.

Then I remember how many times she got called out for it, accepted it without bothering to change, and ultimately giving away the space/time remnant at the end. Sure she may not have known what it was, but she knew it was Dipper's and still gave it away.

And even if she didn't know what it was, it was pretty obviously important looking.

It would surprise me if she didn't have even an inkling of what it was considering Ford and Dipper openly talked about it in front of her.

Bill was better when he had to be wily since he had no physical form, had weirder harder to understand motives, and was more about his psychological effect on the characters. Once Weirdmageddon happened his motive was boring "take over the world an build big bad guy castle" crap without any of the surreal oddness of some of his earlier appearances and especially his AMA. Worse since he was all powerful he had to be both stupid and totally passive in the finale so that anyone had a chance to beat him and barley did anything despite supposedly having a central role. Keeping the apocalypse confined to one shitty town also ruined the great "oh shit" cliffhanger that kicked the finale off as the stakes just kept getting rolled back.

Basically Bill was really well received at the start and could have been a good villain but at some point somebody dropped the ball on making him more than a typical boring kid show villain in the second half of the finale. It's not a big deal because it's just par for the course but after all the clues and buildup having Bill be a big scary monster who runs after the kids felt like a cop out.

Can you blame them?

All of the tension is spent in Weirdmageddon Part 2 trying to convince her that she can't live in her own personal fantasy world while the people around her die in the outside world. The momentum of the 3-part series finale stops to coddle a delusional brat.

Dipper constantly sacrifices his personal happiness for Mabel and just when he's about to take a personally fulfilling job, Mabel throws a tantrum and makes a deal with the series antagonist. In the end, he decides to once again gives up personal happiness for her co-dependence.

Mabel can't even say goodbye to a pig until the next summer and some poor bus driver has to go against protocol and risk his livelihood to make sure this insufferable child gets her way.

Mabel's a selfish, spoiled brat who constantly bends the wills of those around her to get what she wants. This is even brought up in-universe by Bill and she still doesn't change as a person or show even the slightest hint of growing up. Not once has she done anything for Dipper that came at her own expense. Kristen Schaal does a great job on her voice and Mabel's certainly a charismatic character, but the way she's written is so profoundly unsympathetic and makes for an extremely poor role model for young girls who watch the show.

The message young girls get from Mabel is "it's okay to cry and whine until everyone gives you what you want regardless of the sacrifice they make for you." It's a horrible message from a horrible character.

When they revealed that the apocalypse was confined to gravity falls, It really seemed like they were building up to the barrier breaking and the apocalypse going global to show just how fucked shit is, but that never happened.

The show started as a funny charming comedy based around horror themes. This was its appeal.

Later episodes deviated from it and final stretch was just a series of bland premises, lackluster comedy and at best generic comedy plots, like the election one.

Weirdmageddon failed to redeem it, producing rather unimaginative plot with some ill-conceived character interactions (I'm looking at you, Mabel).

I can understand people being upset with how Mabel's character development ended up. I'me definitely one of them. But in what world does Dipper actually taking Ford's offer and it going off without a hitch make any sense whatsoever?

Dipper was always going to go back to Piedmont with Mabel. He might've postponed accepting the offer til after graduating high school, but him ditching Mabel at that exact point goes against many of the lessons and development that had been accumulated by then.

That's because the plot needed a reason for Mabel to get mad

Why do we still have these threads nearly everyday

But if they were never gonna bring up who broke the rift after it happened, what's the point of having Mabel be the one? It just makes her actions in Escape From Reality even less sympathetic.

Because he gets the chance to do something out of the shadow of his twin sibling and get a chance to join the captivating mysteries that Mabel had only been tangentially interested in. Stanford made a pretty compelling case IMO. Dipper even reasons that Mabel is a charismatic, friendly person who can instantly build (platonic) relationships with people around her and that he can visit her or she him from time to time.

They were also turning into teenagers and he probably figured that at some point, she'd find a boy who'd mean much more to her than him. Hell, she didn't even get into relationships with boys and they still meant more to her than him.

The moment probably would've been more convincing had Stanford not been a rushed character who appeared as main character in like 4-5 episodes, but the idea of Stanford being this reflection of Dipper's potential is there and Dipper connects to Stanford more than any other character in the series.

Sup Forums feels emptier without them.

It's pretty obvious the writers lost interest in Mabel in favor of Dipper as POV character but especially the Grunkles who were the only ones with satisfying character arcs and development in the end (and then mostly Stan).

Mabel mostly meandered in the background, as people have said making her have no interest in the mysteries or weirdness was shitty because it made her role secondary, it also kind of pitted her against us the audience who cared about the mysteries.

The big Dipper and Mabel conflict, the fear of them growing apart as they grew up, was never even really addressed since they brought some fantasy vs. reality bullshit in out of left field. It didn't make sense since Mabel was all about real life as a social extrovert she just wanted to stay a kid and if anything Dipper caring about supernatural stuff was more head in the clouds. Mabel just wanted to stay a kid but she liked reality she just liked her current reality. Her bubble didn't even reflect eternal childhood which would make it poignant it was just "lol 80s" randumb goofiness.

If Part II had Mabel caught in a convincing illusion and she really had to make a sacrfice and give up a reality with emotional resonance and accept that she and Dipper eventually will actualy grow apart to some extent it would have been emotionally effecting and shown character growth. Instead she never learns or gives up anything plus the whole conflict building since they showed her worrying about growing apart was totally sidestepped in favor of "well we'll always be together" which isn't even true.

the entire message with mabel causing trouble vs dipper causing trouble was that

mabel was a girl and fragile she can't handle harsh punishments, pat on the head and a cookie.
dipper was a boy so his punishments have be hard and crushing.

Up to and including straight up getting his ass kicked on multiple occasions.

>HOLY SHIT MABEL THERE IS AN APOCALYPSE OUT THERE AND YOU DON'T WANT TO HELP BECAUSE I MAKE MY OWN CHOICES?!
>Lol no don't worry, i'm beta anyway, i will do as you wish.
>HOLY SHIT, STAN FORGOT EVERYTHING!
>Lol no he is fine lmao

I didn't believe he's going to be a bad guy at all. Well, I guess he would, but I expected him to be sort of a trickster demon messing with all people, not a dimensional invader.

Bill was basically Mister Mxyzptlk and Q at first and they were neutral. This show shows why. If characters are omnipotent there's no good reason they wouldn't just annihilate the protagonists if they were evil, so they have to just be fucking around with them out of boredom. I still think they could have done a better job with Bill but it would have been hard. Maybe he never should have gotten a physical form or maybe his true motive should have always remained unknowable, he could have gotten more Cthulu-esque as the show went on.

This.

Because Gravity Falls was kind of a big deal, user

Having the twins split up at the end is a good way to show growth. They simply won't always be in the same place together but that doesn't mean they can't still be close, makes them interesting reflections of Stan and Ford as they are the same but different.

The show never said they can't split up (until the end), just that they should be good to each other. While it would finally be a sacrifice for Mabel which would fix that whole issue.

>going off without a hitch
Life doesn't go off without a hitch, every choice does have positives and negatives but we are comparing Dipper getting a life changing event to Mabel wanting her brother to be around for her sake.

>er bubble didn't even reflect eternal childhood which would make it poignant it was just "lol 80s" randumb goofiness.
Which gets even worse with Dippy fresh. She can't stand losing her brother, but is fine with creating a more perfect version of him to be a replacement.

They could have shown she had a real bond with dipper, maybe she felt she relied on him (and others) in some aspect, that could play into why she is an extrovert cause really she is scared and over compensates when really she can do it all herself. Instead it just looks like she doesn't like not getting what she wants.

The whole stuff with the bubble just makes her seem more shallow than anything.

It could have been a great episode if the bubble had really looked like Gravity Falls during summer and she really thought it was real. The bubble Dipper could have acted like Dipper but said, "we'll always be together, Mabel, things will always be just like this." Maybe she would think the real Dipper was an evil clone. The real Dipper could be honest and say that while they would always love each other things probably would change as they grew up because everything changes.

Mabel could have to choose to make the sacrifice to accept a reality where not everything would stay the same and they would grow apart a little and turn her back on a world of her forever with Dipper and her friends (who she couldn't tell apart at first from Dipper and her friends). It would have been a great character growth moment.

Instead the court scene was almost the opposite of this. Dipper gets her to leave by saying he'll always be there for her and giving up the thing with Ford. Now, I think the Ford apprenticeship was a bad idea, but it sends a stupid message, "since we will always be together I will always be there for you if things are hard." But unless Dipper and Mabel are roommates for the rest of their lives with no outside commitments or responsibilities at all.

You could make it so he had no real goal outside of messing with people, making deals and chaos. That is simply his nature

Problem is that doesn't make for much of a final antagonist. But there are a few characters you could have had simply take advantage of this chaotic nature

I know this has probably been discussed to death, but I still don't get why the stuff with Mabel and the rift wasn't adressed in one way or another during any of Weirdmageddon, or even in the journal. It was such a big major scene, so I doubt they just forgot about it, The only reason I could think of is that Alex truly thinks Mabel is 100% blameless.

Mabel was just protecting her birthright.

I don't get the reference.

It's not a reference. I was just agreeing that Alex doesn't think anything wrong with Mabel into bigger words.

>Dipper and Mabel stop Bill before Weirdmageddon
>"Kids, I gotta tell ya, you're making a huge mistake."
>Dude, you're straight up evil.
>"You think I'm evil?"
There is a rumble from beneath the mystery shack
>"I'm just trying to save this dumb dimension."
The portal tears open and begins sucking Gravity Falls in.
>"This is exactly why mortals shouldn't mess with space time."

Alex generally can't write female characters, just look at Wendy

It wasn't even slightly scary. Like, I know it's for kids, but really?

A bunch of non-spooky keyhole-head, 8-ball eye and pacifier sucking monsters?
Just turning people into a throne?
Fighting Bill in a mech made out of the shack?

Come ON.

Also Mabel was at her worst.

I think it is more just lack of thought

Weirdmaggedon was going to happen, they just didn't know how and had 3 episodes
There needed to be drama with the twins
They didn't want to split them apart

But the best example is the Zodiac, it clearly does not fit with how the show turns out which they even point out in the episode. It simply had to happen cause it was a thing they wanted to do

Yes if you watch this clip again I still think this is one of the strongest sequences from the series, maybe even up there with NWHS. But the episodes after it take all the huge moments and fallout from them and either ignore them (Mabel breaking the rift, just look at that expression of horror and regret on her face when she realizes, never even brought up) or undone (the end credits make it seem endtimes, you hear screaming an helicopters, then you find out the world didn't end and nobody ever even notices, no consequences, nothing changes at all due to any of this).

youtube.com/watch?v=ERj4O_v7_Ck

After this scene the Internet exploded and hype levels were super high but there wasn't really an on level payoff.

So did Mabel just forget that she sorta caused the apocalypse, or did she deliberately not tell the others?

She forgot because the bubble hypnotized her.

No it didn't, don't bring that stale old argument back up again.

Even if it did, wouldn't she have remembered after leaving?

It's really not clear anyone was hypnotized, them rubbing their eyes for a second could just mean they were distracted by the shiny colors, there wasn't some huge behaviour shift, also Mabel never mentions it afterwards ever

She wasn't hypnotized. She was seduced by a false paradise and it's clear and fine. But the resolution is so stupid, you are compelled to make excuses.

It's an argument I've seen a lot

Lots of people grasp at straws to stave off realization that there is no god.

Mabel didn't tell anyone because she fell in love with Bill and gave it to him on purpose and didn't want anybody to know.

It makes as much sense as these other excuses.

>It's really not clear anyone was hypnotized, them rubbing their eyes for a second could just mean they were distracted by the shiny colors
Didn't Wendy do the same thing after being hypnotized by Robbie's CD?

It felt rushed.
Many hints and clues littered throughout the series amounted to nothing.
Bill's threat had been exaggerated.
It wasn't as climactic as we had expected.
The relationship between Stan and Ford wasn't developed enough.
Ford's return did not upset the status quo in spite of it being everything Stan had worked for for decades.
Mabel remained incredibly selfish.
In spite of unleashing eldritch horrors onto the world, Mabel was still treated as if she did nothing wrong.
Dipper tells Mabel she was right to prioritize her feelings above his future.

Alex Hirsch is not a subtle writer.

I disagree with the main villain part, Bill's first appearance makes it clear that he was interested in both the family and Dipper. He also was the only villain in those two episodes that knew what the book was(many theorized he was the author of the books, believing he reach some lovecrafting transcendence) That said what's disjointed is he is doing a "job" for someone else the first time and seems upset he loses out on. Also I didn't understand why the barrier needed to be their, Bill seems like the type he be more angry he didn't break Ford and wasn't going to bomb the world till he corrupted him, it would seem more in character for a chaos god and would help the ending not be as bad.

>Dipper tells Mabel she was right to prioritize her feelings above his future.
This is what I don't understand, what would have stop Mabel from staying there too? She could claim the same thing or just want to stay with her brother. That's at least what I did with my sis, she got a apprenticeship 2500 miles away from home and I just went over there with her and grab work so we could still hang out. We were roommates for five years before I found my husband. This show acts like if one gets a chance of success they have to do it alone and following them is never an option.

You know, looking at all the episodes before, that's exactly what Mabel would do, she look at Dipper and say "Well I'm staying too! You said we should stick together and that's what we are doing!" and she likely pitch something nutty like being Stan's apprentice.

That would have made more sense. If their parents would consider letting Dipper stay, why not Mabel too?

Mabel being a shitty character is an overall worse thing, but it is relatively subtle - you only realize it fully once you stop to think how many times Mabel fucked Dipper over.
On the other hand Stan acting like a little jealous bitch is the most OOC moment ever, when I saw Stan refusing to complete the zodiac it was almost like being hit in the face by a punch powered by bullshit.
Stan is not the most honest person and he doesn't always have the best judgement, but there is no way in he'll he would refuse to kill fucking Cthulhu and prevent the death of everybody he knows, what the fuck were the writers even smoking?

Hey, guys. They just released dropped lyrics for the Gravity Falls intro.

Gravity
Falls is my home
I will never be here alone
Chasing after the monsters
I'm right here with my brother
What's going on in this town
This journal, that he found
It will remain a mystery
The secrets of Gravity
FALLS!

The spoiler text is shaped like a bullet

>but there is no way in he'll he would refuse to kill fucking Cthulhu and prevent the death of everybody he knows
over a "Thank you" no less.

DEEPEST

Are you making fun of that girl that was chit-chatting during the puzzle, or rusing us?

What was the best episode and why was it Northwest Mansion Noir?

>Northwest Mansion Noir
This is the most egregious misspelling of Not What He Seems that I've seen in my entire life.

>Character goes from one dimensional to legit interesting
>Cool antagonist and visuals
>Shipping fuel
>B plot was fine
It's not that hard to explain

>They answered the big mystery halfway through the second season so everyone stopped caring, just like Twin Peaks.

This, but not just that.
They teased that the ending would be dramatic and someone would probably die. Seeing Stan lose his memory made me think that was the loss, but they backpedaled on that immediately.

>sacrifices himself to stop Bill
>the sacrifice was having his brain wiped
>afterwards everyone is sad, but then he remembers everything
>"oh ok, we're all happy now!"
>THE END

WTF? That's pretty fucking poor writing considering how well done the rest of the series is.

>It was never going to end on anything but a happy note and that's fucking fine.

There is such a thing as bittersweet. It doesn't have to be a sad or a happy ending specifically. I just have a feeling the higher ups at Disney wouldn't allow anything but a super happy ending with no consequences and nothing sacrificed. They could have shown Stan happier now that his grim past was erased. A better ending would have been if he still knew who he was, but only had memories up to a certain point in his life, like when him and his brother were first planning to travel the world on that boat. Then, in the last scene, it could have shown his brother taking him on that adventure.

WHORE

Alex raped us really bad with his massive dong of dissapointment and my rear still hurts, I will never forgive him

We miss the show, we miss the hype, and some people miss the shipping.

>Rushed
>Poorly paced (namely, far too much time spent on Mabel being delusional)
>Bill becomes a generic big dumb villain who's easily tricked for the sake of making it easy to write
>Make a cool moment with Stan sacrificing himself to defeat Bill, and then within three minutes backpedal with zero consequences in the most insultingly predictable way possible
>Countless questions remained unanswered
>Just overall not very exciting and poorly written

It's like they went out of their way to put as little effort into making the finale exciting/interesting as possible.

Also, whatever happened to the statue?

I'm sick of this, Sup Forums!
What will it take for you people to stop shitposting about me?

Yeah there's such a thing as bittersweet, but I swear there's always someone who argues that every ending should be bittersweet or that a show is only good if there's profound loss at the end or people die.

Gravity Falls had it's serious moments and even heartfelt moments but I doubt the show was ever going to have anything approaching a even a semi sad ending.

Dress up like Wendy and make things up to your brother.

Admit it.

>Gravity Falls had it's serious moments and even heartfelt moments but I doubt the show was ever going to have anything approaching a even a semi sad ending.

If the creator didn't jerk people around on social media and say the opposite, I'd think it was perfectly ok it didn't. The bait and switch is what's upsetting more than the result.

Nah, I'd still be pissed about how easily Stan gets his memories back.

they did, but Sup Forumsntrarianism runs deep

Because Sup Forums'll never let go of Alex for pulling a prank on it.

>Also, whatever happened to the statue?

Uh there was a huge international treasure hunt for it.

The Russians and the Japanese found their clues in maybe five minutes and made amusing illustrations to go along with the hunt while the Americans sucked ass and fought with each other over everything as expected.

Sup Forums got its ass kicked by tumblr, reddit, and twitter but we did find one clue. Most of the people looking for the statue were more interested than promoting themselves on social media than actually figuring out the clues and puzzles. People spread rumors that Sup Forums was planning to sabotage the hunt and cut other site's "teams'" gas lines and kneecap people but Sup Forums was just being ineffectual retards as expected mostly.

People ran into the woods somewhere in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night and got hurt or totaled their cars or got lost or something literally car racing to find a clue then it turned out not to even be there.

Everyone took so long figuring out the last clue that Alex needed to help and another clue was stolen by nuns.

Finally some fangirl and a family found the statue and got the prizes but it turned out Alex had put the statue on disputed property so the cops showed up and carted Bill to the police station where Alex had to bail him out. Then Bill's hat dissaopeared and there were conspiracy theories it was stolen but all that happened was that it had become infested by aunts so the cops probably threw it away.

All of that is true by the way, there were 50 threads or something about it here over the summer.

io9.gizmodo.com/after-just-two-weeks-gravity-falls-fans-complete-incre-1784794817

What prank?

That's part of the bait-and-switch They shouldn't have gone the memory wipe route if they were going to undo it seconds later.

And just like the GF update schedule, that fucking puzzle took forever. I'm sad Sup Forums didn't contribute all that much but holy shit at least we weren't those people.

I think the fanbase on here is much smaller than everywhere else, though. I mean the subreddit has 42k subs. They were bound to discover more

The subreddit doesn't do all that much these days. They mostly just post a few pieces of fanart a day, and most of those are posted by the same 2 or 3 users.

Bump

I think that's just different people having different opinions.

I'm never on twitter, and didn't hang on Alex's every word. Just let the writing speak for itself. So I never built the show up beyond what it was.

Rather than flesh out the zodiac, the thing teased since EPISODE ONE, they spent twenty two minutes nattering about Mabel's terrible imagination.

Yeah, Part 2 sucked. They squandered every possible chance they had for character development in it.

Because it was just THAT bad

>But in what world does Dipper actually taking Ford's offer and it going off without a hitch make any sense whatsoever?
The made up world where most of /gfg/ hides in