Thundercats 2011

What did you guys think of this show? I loved the art and saw so much potential for the story and character development but I feel that the pacing was shit and the plot twist/cliff hanger at the end was totally unnecessary...

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ThunderCats_(2011_TV_series)_episodes#Episodes
youtu.be/co2Z4m9i5nY?t=15
youtu.be/xuWLThMuf7k?t=79
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Wasted Potential: the Show

This.

Also, Lion-o should have been the Wilys' age and it all would make more sense.

We all agree that every single character was hot as fuck, right?

This. The first few episodes are really solid and it only gets worse over time. Writers had a massive hard-on for Tygra, and Cheetara was a cocktease

I fucking loved it
anything I didn't like, I disliked because of how it contrasted with how great it was otherwise
... which was often. but never too severe.
He was, pretty close.

Wasted potential. Kit was fapbait, and I loved it. Easily forgotten.

Bad

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to hate Tygra.

Kit was the best thing we got

The pilot was really fucking good. Like, Gargoyles/ ATLA levels of well written. Sadly, that makes it all the more obvious that the guy wrote those episodes was kicked off the staff right after, since nothing that came after ever really lived up to the premiere. As everyone else said, it's a glaring example of wasted potential.

Sad but true. How do you fail so bad that the only likable female character is a child?

I was on Sup Forums during the premiere and everyone seemed really excited about it. The excitement waned when every week, the episodes seemed to get worse and worse. It's sad that one of the best-written episodes in the series was penned by one of the voice actors instead of by the main writing staff.

>Wasted Potential: the Show

Pretty much.

Also, it was kind of awesome how it completely glossed over genocide. But I guess we couldn't show the kids all those cats getting skewered and skinned.

picture mostly unrelated.

The pilot was amazing. It is one of the best opening episodes for a Western action cartoon ever.

But with the sole exception of "Song of the Petalars", which was the best episode of the show by any possible standard, everything after the pilot sucked ass. The guys who wrote the pilot had a whole fucking Show Bible ready to go, but they were given the boot after writing the pilot and the series writers fucked around with everything.

The show had a shitload of potential thanks to the pilot. That only a single episode of the show's run lived up to that potential is not just maddening, it is confounding to this very day. How could they have such a great premise and fuck it all up like that?

Tygra was cool though

The Duelist and the Drifter was pretty good though.

Therein lies part of the problem with this show, though: Tygra is not the lead character, Lion-O is. But the writers felt the need to make Lion-O a c-u-c-k-old to Tygra in every possible sense. Lion-O was always in Tygra's shadow, and it never. Fucking. Stopped.

that's how that always works. women dont understand that they're meant to be childlike, and men don't understand that they aren't

>Women are meant to be childlike

Does that make it easier for you to imagine women as young children, you fucking pedophile?

>It's sad that one of the best-written episodes in the series was penned by one of the voice actors instead of by the main writing staff.
how do you figure? actors-turned-directors are always the best directors. star trek proved that

I think it's really fucked up that you can have all kinds of gay on tv now, but not a drop of blood, when you have a cast wielding swords all over the place.

Tygra felt like a bad fanfiction character. The only real development that he got was in the episode where it was revealed that Lion-O killed Tygra's adopted mother in childbirth.

Awww, are the faggots fucking up all your blood'n'guts TV? There there, you can still watch "The Walking Dead", where - statistically - most of the world's gay people are either dead or undead.

> The guys who wrote the pilot had a whole fucking Show Bible ready to go, but they were given the boot after writing the pilot and the series writers fucked around with everything.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ThunderCats_(2011_TV_series)_episodes#Episodes

It's sad that he actually seemed to care about the character and series, but the writers didn't. He also wanted to write a script using the character Bengali from the original series, but it was turned down because Tygra wouldn't be as special anymore if there are two tigers in the show.

And nobody ever listened to Lion-O.

"Guys, our people just got genocided. Maybe we should stop being so racist to all non-cats."

>Oh my God, Lion-O, you can't ask someone to stop being racist to non-cats.

"We are on the run and have no allies. Maybe if we weren't dicks to everyone we meet we'd get allies."

>You've lost your mind, Lion-O.

>Episode 26 synopsis
>After Pumyra's attempt to steal the Tech Stone ends in utter failure, the ThunderCats are tossed into an automated trash disposal that is set to drop them to their deaths.

Anyone else amused that literally the final episode starts with 'into the trash it goes'? I mean, that's what happens when you piss away all your potential....

wasn't kit the only one to actually give a damn about him?

The Thundercats reboot was a project where nobody involved with it gave a fuck about it. Every last frame speaks volumes of the utter lack of passion, care and arse that went into making it.

Ha ha, oh wow.

Pretty much. Which was frustrating. Lion-O had his share of fuck ups, but he was usually right on the big stuff and was their rightful king. You'd think they'd at least pretend to show deference.

Yep . Hence why they are shipped together now. Lion-O deserves to be happy.

Based on their track record, the writers would have had Kit betray Lion-O at some point as well.

She was 8 years old...

So?

That's the problem you create when every other female character sucks.

but that's not what happened

they did show him deference. the whole point was they were only tolerating him because he was the king. which is kind of even worse, but some of the best episodes were about Lion-O proving himself to them. he had to work much harder than he should have to get a little respect, but holy damn did he come through. so nice to see a legit protag like that.
doubtful. young adolescent for sure, just like Lion-O

Stop this fucking lie right the fuck now or provide a source. I'm sick of seeing this claim in every thread with no one ever giving a citation.
The two people who wrote the 2-parter wrote other episodes.

I think this show was one of those rare times that a remake/reboot is better than the original show. Hardcore fans of the 80s cartoon hated at (at least in some of my social circles), so I wonder if that had anything to do with it dying.

Then what did happen?

i can't believe there would be hardcore fans of original thundercats. I mean, fans, sure, but the kind who acknowledge it was silly crap but enjoyed it anyway. like He-Man fans.
kit and kat saved the day with all their allies in the bag, drove off mumm-ra who still basically won because he got the stone, they just barely managed to save bird city by lowering it gently enough to the ground, then they were just like oh well we'll keep fighting. the end.

Is it just me, or is it the older and more buff thundercats become, the more they resemble gorillas (crazy long arms, and short, permanently bent legs) instead of felines, stature-wise?

Women are children, they never grow up mentally. They just grow old physically. And honestly it's MEN who refuse to acknowledge the reality about women and stupidly gave them rights. Now look at all the chaos going on in society.

Thanks men. You are to blame for whatever destructive anything women unleash in civilization. In Germany's case welcoming Rapefugees.

Please leave and take your political talk with you. Let us just talk about Thundercats.

The first episode was written by Mike Jelenic. It's the only one he wrote (check the wiki). It sets up the rivalry between Lion-O and Tygra, Lion-O being a tech geek and an outsider, the cats' racism to other species' and Lion-O's dislike toward treating other races badly and in general paints the cats as a flawed, closed up society of elitist assholes, stuck in their archaic ways and who would prefer another ass on the throne (Tygra) than the younger, more innovative and caring Lion-O. Then the cat genocide happens.

In the second episode, written by Tab Murphy, it all starts falling apart. A shitload of estabilished things, including the exoticness of high technology to the cats, get dropped and forgotten. Tygra suddenly is better at using guns and tech than his geeky brother he laughed at, the cat genocide is glanced over, villains lose their motive (revenge towards their oppressors) to become "henchmen to the bad mummy guy" and nothing else, ever. And worst of all, Mumm-Ra's intro is weak, he seems less of a threat than his grunts. And it only gets worse.

What hurt the show IMO was Lion O being written like a beta loser. You can easily have a cast of assholes, but if your main lead is just a DOORMAT to these assholes instead of a pro-active leader who takes no shit from anyone? The end result is unbearable.

Even side characters like Pumyra? Joined the team and made Lion O look like a punching bag. I can't stand all the beta males working in media. Does any boy growing up look at these weak male protagonists and go "I wanna be that loser who no one respects!"

Now go tell this to your mother. She'll be very proud, I bet.

Jelenic is one of the producers. He had more control than any writer throughout the shows lifespan.

I think that's just one of the several body archetypes they went for.
uhh no, I meant the other way around..

>Does any boy growing up look at these weak male protagonists and go "I wanna be that loser who no one respects!

No child wants to be a punching bag, boy or girl. I think the writers may have been robots.

not that guy but my mom never grew up mentally
mainly because she had a cruel harpy of a mom and a dad who didnt man up and do something about it
but that is wayyy offtopic and not necessary to discuss here

most action shows have a hot-headed idiot as the lead, who gets inexplicably allowed to run around as he pleases, rarely learns anything, and stubborns his way into victory. I think maybe they were overcompensating

post wilykit
keep it sfw for god's sake, link it if it's not

Boy this guy is really pissed.
he should be

I see Sup Forums bitching about this show a lot and it bothers me a little,
but really I should keep in mind that nobody would bitch this hard about a show they didn't care about.. it just shows how much we liked parts of it. and that's... that's something

Oh hey when did (You)'s come back? Also I kept watching the show hoping the next one would be better but I mean he we are.
Wilykit was number 1 reason though, the artists did good.

as far as I know (you)s never disappeared. but then i might be using a different extension from you

and whatever else happened wilykit saved everyone in the end. and kat was there too.
do you think their pronunciation of rankin-bass was accurate? I can't manage to find any online resources that tell us how to pronounce either of their names. i think bass's first name was jules?

And suddenly I'm looking forward to the zombie apocalypse.

>i can't believe there would be hardcore fans of original thundercats. I mean, fans, sure, but the kind who acknowledge it was silly crap but enjoyed it anyway. like He-Man fans.

At least with the original series, the character's personalties were consistent from episode to episode.

Cheetara and Pumyra were allowed to be competent characters instead of just a love interest to fight over.

what personalities?

Jaga was basically Obi Wan Kenobi and showed up to give Lion-O advice whenever he did something dumb.

Lion-O was brave and wanted to be a good leader, but also really immature and acted impulsively. Over the course of the series, he became less childish and a lot more thoughtful and wise.

Snarf was Lion-O's self-appointed babysitter and was always complaining and telling him to be careful. He meant well, but he was really annoying.

Cheetara was the moral compass of the team. She was a competent fighter and there were a couple of episodes where she had to single-handedly save the team. She also had low-level psychic powers (premonitions of danger, etc.) that she was learning to control.

Tygra was a tech guy and also a really good strategist. He was quiet and reserved and seemed really unsure of himself. He seemed more susceptible to mind control and magic spells than his teammates.

Panthro was an experienced warrior and he trained the others to improve their fighting skills. He was also a tech guy and he was really proud of the Thundertank. He treated it sort of like a sportscar.

The Thundertwins were curious and mischievous and they got in trouble a lot. Snarfer was very similar.

Lynx-O was a wise old man figure sort of like Jaga. It was really important to him to honor the traditions of the Thundercats and pass that knowledge along to the younger team members.

Bengali was really boisterous and enjoyed fighting. He had a magic hammer than shot lighting bolts. He was basically the Thundercat version of Thor. He was a lot like Lion-O in that he would often rush into battle without thinking.

Pumyra was the healer and sort of a bookworm. She was interested in botany and nature. Even though she had a pacifist nature, she would fight to defend herself of her friends. She would usually try to employ strategy first and avoid violence.

ooh somebody missed the joke. I watched the show, they had no personalities

One improvement in the new series over the old one is that Snarf doesn't talk.

They came back like two days after they were removed. Guess meme magic was too strong

honestly if the original snarf actor just made noises, that would be every bit as irritating. the improvement isn't the lack of talking, but the use if ikue ohtani. Even if her snarf talked I'd love it.. hell, especially if he did. adorable broken english? Ling Ling but more authentic? that'd be great

That was very much appreciated, yes.

I only remember Panthro being hot and QUALITY

Well, I appreciated reading the refresher.

Seems you misunderstood what I said. I said that's the start of the episode on Wikipedia, not the end. I just found it funny that's how the final episode begins.

oh I misread the fuck out of that. I thought you said after pumyra DOES steal the tech stone, not tries to

i still don't remember them being in the trash, I distinctly recall a brig

Sounds like you have huge mommy issues. Often the relation with the mother is a big influence on the relation with women, especially for autists

I've asked around, mine's better than most. Doesn't mean she isn't a child.
that doesnt relate to any of the other things being discussed here.

this

I knew it was going to be trash the instant Mumm-Ra spoke his first line.

Awful idea taking a character memorable for their voice above all else and not even trying to emulate it. They just didn't care.

this is a joke right? he's by far the least-changed character, the voice was dead on

sound ripe to me

youtu.be/co2Z4m9i5nY?t=15
vs
youtu.be/xuWLThMuf7k?t=79

New is dogshit.

That being said it was just the first sign, not a dealbreaker in and of itself.

>[pic]

My problem was Mumm Ra´s transformation, they keep it secret the early episodes but his monstrous form was show on a flash back just walking of frame without fanfare, like the fire lord on the Shyamalan movie.

DELET THIS

you're right, the new one was actually an improvement
iunno i dug that. it made it clear that that's his proper form but he can't maintain it anymore without help. they didn't really keep it that secret, they just aborted the first time they were going to show it, sorta jerking the audience's chain, keeping them guessing

That guy's right, you have issues.

Should have been on Netflix like Voltron is now. Little kids can't pay attention long enough to story lines that aren't full of fighting or humor. Did they even have action figures.
I'm still pissed this didn't get a second season it had so much potential. I enjoyed it as much as the He-Man reboot.

it was full of fighting. what's wrong with you? netflix voltron is more like the old days, not whatever you're talking about
but yeah it was good. and the he-man reboot was nearly as good, weirdly enough, with a lot less to work with
>did they even have action figures
they did, and they sold like shit. they did everything wrong they could have
>too many size classes so you can't get all the characters in one scale
>characters out of scale within a size class
>unpainted details
>useless magnet gimmick
>sharing space with classic tcats figures that nobody would want anyway

the sculpts were okay though

>It's sad that one of the best-written episodes in the series was penned by one of the voice actors instead of by the main writing staff.

Will Friedle is a legit nerd.

More like they wanted to kill him, since Will Friedle wanted Bengali to be a mentor/father figure to Lion-O.

Oh god this, the pilot was amazing, but then the writers were suddenly replaced by complete lunatics who worshipped Tigra like a god.

>Song of the Petalars
That episode was the first taste of the garbage that would be the show's legacy.

Please, making Moby Dick your first actual single episode story and shitting on the point that technology isn't typically used all that often was dumb.

Fair point.

It was the SECOND taste of the garbage that was to come.

huh, not sure i'd want that.

Well Bengali was intended to be much older, like how some people expected Panthro to help teach Lion-O and Tygra shit, but instead he does jackshit all for anyone.

Honestly I was more annoyed that they literally went the Infinity Gauntlet route with it, even over the Tygra fanfiction tier wankery.