Watching Man of Steel for the fist time

>watching Man of Steel for the fist time
>it's awesome
Holy shit, I expected an absolute dumpster fire based on the reviews. This movie is pretty awesome. I feel like people judged it based on modern capeshit standards, when it's actually a fantastic sci-fi alien invasion movie with a bit of heart.

I thought the action scenes were done about as well as you could hope for but it was another shuddering pile of shit from Zacky

Stop, invincible son

Did people seriously have an issue with this scene? It made perfect sense to me. Although, I have a son, so I guess it gives me a different perspective.

It was a bad setup. Exposing his powers or letting Pa Kent die was a false dilemma.

It's a great movie until the action starts

Not really. As I've said, once you have a son of your own, you'll understand. I would literally give up my life for my own boy.

Pa Kent was worried that the government would swoop in and steal his son from him, and deny him any chance of living his own life and making his own choice. As a father, that's absolutely terrifying future for your own son.

Yeah fuck this scene

The action scenes, specifically the Smallville fight and the final fight, are some of the best I've ever seen.

Watching his father die was not something Clark ever would have done. The movie is fine, but this is NOT Superman.

>this is NOT Superman
This is the problem with ALL the criticism of this movie. It's all judging the character and motivations based on previous conceptions and knowledge.

If you erase everything you've ever known about the mythology and judge it fairly from the ground up, Man of Steel is pretty fucking enjoyable and sensible. You're trying to apply 75+ years of conceptions about a character to a completely new genesis, which is wrong.

The visuals were done well IMO but a lot of the writing was shit. The biggest problem I had with it was:

>be superman
>your whole point is to protect Metropolis
>destroy 90% of Metropolis

>destroy 90% of Metropolis
It was like 30%, at most. Just a few blocks. And live I've said before, this is a new genesis. Superman's purpose ISN'T to save Metropolis. It's just to do what he can.

Superman is one of the only heroes I've ever seen where people always expect him to solve every problem with zero casualties. The fact that people died during his efforts is no reason to declare him a failure, because had he not tried, the casualties would have been infinite.

>You're trying to apply 75+ years of conceptions about a character
a completely unfounded idea of 75 years actually

a vast majority of the things people complain about have direct comic book counterparts across those 75 years they refer to so much

ironic

The thing is that you have to fucking let go of the comic book shit. Comic writing is nothing sacred. Most of it is just the son of necessity. MoS is the first media in over half a century to take Superman as a new concept and build it up independently, and to me, that's the goal of creative media.

FUCKING THIS TIMES A MILLION. Retards who hate Snyder kino never bitch about the movie itself, more about WELL IN THE COMICS, X ISNT LIKE THIS SO THIS MOVIE IS SHIT!!! Just because it's a foriegn take on the boring boyscout that is Superman doesn't mean it's bad. Same shit with Batfleck in BvS, they explained so many times why he became an edgelord. He played the role well and the movie was solid. Just because a character isn't played word for word from the source material doesn't make it bad. It annoys me how people can't look at a film for what it is anymore without forcing meme comparisons.

>the boring boyscout that is Superman
The funny thing is that the Animated Series was a subversion of this over a decade before, but it was at a time when capeshit hadn't cemented itself yet, so people were more accepting. Ever since the "feelgood capeshit" era that Iron Man started in 2008, people only want completely accurate and non-confrontational capeshit that just panders to their need for comfort anf familiarity.

>invincible son

>let me shot my alien son to see that he is invincible.
>of course just because neddles cant piece him it means he can survive a nuke
>the gorvernament will never take him and try to make a weapon out of his guts

>but this is NOT Superman.
it isnt. it was Clark kent.
Clark kent needs to learn to be superman

Watching BvS now. 30 minutes it. It's wonderful follow-up to a movie about the paranoia involved with an alien that walks among us.

As I've said before, these are sci-fi movies, not capeshit movies.

>actually hating kino
Also NOT MUH SUPERMAN isn't a valid argument. It just shows how petty and stubborn you are to change

Im fucking defending the movie from the invincible son argument user

I love in the Smallville fight, there's a moment when a train gets thrown where the camera's zooming along and the train silently creeps up into the frame mid-throw, it's great

Most of the people shitting on it were just parroting things other people said. Then it kept snowballing.

The people weren't ready for him.

>based on the reviews
you're an idiot faggot who should lurk more

Why are people still blaming superman for the damage the terraforming machine did again?

Because the view Superman as an infallible god character that stops all problems before they start.

probably because he handled it in the worst way possible.

>whats that? A huge machine is destroying metropolis?

>better fuck off to this completely uninhabited part of india for a few hours!

>they handled it the worst way possible
>completely misunderstand the plot
wow so this is your brain on Marvel

>lois lane falls away from a nascent black hole

makes sense why zod was so hellbent on taking her captive, she was some kinda freaky hyper dense alien

Poor and shitty writing. Especially, since he didn't even try to run to save himself.

not muh is a perfectly valid argument that highlights the artists inablilty to keep his dick out of the soup.

>he didn't even try to run
did you miss the part where he was limping because his ankle got caught in the car door?

>pa kent was worried the government would swoop in and steal his son

... uh, superman. The government can't do shit to him.

and what part of that betrayed a lack of understanding of any sort?

>snyderfags WILL defend this

>based on the reviews

And this thread gets hundres of replies...

>Superman was in India for hours
The Black Zero event took place over less than an hour. Superman was in the Indian Ocean simultaneously, he was there because if the World Engine was not destroyed, the gravitational field around the Black Zero would keep the military from being able to drop the payload that would open up the black hole into the Phantom Zone.
If Superman chose to stay in Metropolis to "save people" there would be no people in India to destroy the World Engine. Stop eating paste.

>>better fuck off to this completely uninhabited part of india for a few hours!

he went there to destroy the machine. Are you just trolling now?

>The government can't do shit to him.
You're falling prey to the whole "NOT MUH SUPERMAN" shit. He was like 18 at the time. They didn't know how powerful he was, or if he was invincible or whatever. They only knew he was different and was going to scare the shit out of the world.

What was stopping superman from just destroying the metropolis side of the world engine?

No it isn't. This is a different incarnation, different style, different attitude. Why the fuck would you want to see a complete rehash of Christopher Reeve, or Brandon Routh?

Why develop a character one way and then force it to be something completely different because it needs to adhere to a formula checklist?

>They didn't know how powerful he was
Because they were idiots.

The people who bash this movie usually fall into the following categories

People who are upset it's not the Reeve's Superman.

People who can't form their own opinions and just repeat the negative comments they've seen online

People who haven't even seen the movie and
just repeat the negative comments they've seen online

Company drones. Those idiots who only have the ability to like DC or Marvel, Sony or Microsoft etc. They'll shit on any product that's not from the company they love no matter what

People with no attention spans who bitch about things that were addressed in the movie but they were too busy shit posting to notice.

Because that's what remakes are.
Snyder films never follow formulas, and that's a good thing.

OP here. I feel like you fail to realize the context. The script writer and director were both men with children of their own. When you have a son, regardless of the circumstances, you fear for his well-being at every turn. You would do anything to keep him from falling prey to any government organization. You would give your fucking life, trust me.

Once again, MoS is not a movie for nerds and Superman fans. It's a movie for actual people who are living their lives and understand the importance of family.

I feel this is the only scene in Snyder's entire career where he failed to accomplish what he intended, all the other memed ones are just people not liking what he intended.

>because they didn't know the meta information that I knew because I've been reading about the character for 75 years!
fix'd

how would they know how powerful he was? You think his family would be shooting him to see if he's bullet proof?

This. Superman's family only knows that he's special. They don't know he's a fucking god, yet. and they wouldn't risk the well-being of their only fucking son on the assumption that he was.

Because they didn't investigate at all the possibility their adoptive alien son wasn't a normal human.

If snyder films never follow formulas he wouldn't have made a bunch of comic book movies.

They knew he wasn't a normal human. They just didn't know the extend of his power, like you do, because you've known Superman your whole fucking life.

again, entire gist of superman is nothing humanity's got is an issue for him.

>They just didn't know the extend of his power

Because they made zero effort to investigate it and did everything they could to make him ashamed and afraid of his powers.

Because that's what the plot needed.

>the entire gist of Superman is something I've construed from 75 years of development, and am unwilling to drop in order to evaluate a new take on the character
fix'd

You've made this shitty argument already and its already been destroyed.

Do you honestly expect a family to put time aside to shoot their own kid with bullets? They were probably way more concerned with making their son feel comfortable and loved.

Once again, like I've said, this is a movie for funtional humans with wives and families that understand what family means. Let me know when you move out of your parents' basement.

How so?

Considering their kid is an alien who can apparently see through walls and can't be injured no matter what happens to him, they'd have to be exceptionally stupid to just ignore all of that and pretend hes normal for 18-30 years.

Or you know, maybe they don't want their fucking son to go through all that? Like normal fucking children?

Your argument is still based on meta information. Just because their son can see through walls doesn't mean he is a fucking GOD that can't be killed. And at 18 years old, I imagine he very well COULD be killed. It's not about that. It's about their son's ability to live a life where he can choose for himself what he becomes.

Go through what? If he can't be hurt they aren't putting him through anything.

What kid doesn't want to be invulnerable? What parents wouldn't notice their kid is invulnerable? How did they not notice the superstrength?

My argument is based in the idea the kents had an alien crash on their farm, that has super strength, can hear/see everything, and doesn't seem to get injured no matter what happens, and they not only avoid trying to help him come to terms with these facts of his existence, they try to make sure he never uses or even acknowledges the facts of his existence, ever.

You're still operating on finite, meta information. If you had an adopted son that was super strong and had crazy abilities, you still wouldn't assume he was invincible in every situation.

Oh, so in man of steel, clark doesn't crash to earth in an alien ship, show unmistakable signs of super strength, awareness, and invulnerability from childhood?

All situational. How do they know that the ship didn't completely protect him? After that, what dangers did he experience during normal childhood? All they knew was that he was special. They didn't know he was invincible. They didn't know he was DC's Superman, like you do.

They made no effort to find out, either. That's my grievance here.

But hey, keep misrepresenting the argument. It totally isn't making you look bitter and exceptionally stupid.

Also the idea that MoS showed clark's ENTIRE CHILDHOOD in about six minutes is pretty fucking stupid, dog.

>They made no effort to find out, either. That's my grievance here.
Were they supposed to spend afternoons trying to kill their son? That's stupid as fuck, and once again it shows the disconnect between comic nerds and actual humans who care for each other.

How about that scene where clark pushes a school bus out of a river? Wasn't he about 8? Wouldn't that be a pretty strong indication that he's got something that should be investigated?

Just because my son can save a school bus full of kids doesn't mean he is invincible. You're still extrapolating data based on your meta-knowledge of the character.

how would they investigate? The only way to find out how durable he is would be to risk his life which is something a parent wouldn't want to do.

This.

>be injured no matter what happens to him

there is no reason they would know this.

You're one of those people who think the movie characters have all the knowledge of the story that the audience has.

Its kinda funny how hard you're trying to argue that it's perfectly okay that clark had zero character development until he was 30 with the idea that his parents cared so much about him that they actively ignored everything about him.

He wasn't a normal kid, so a normal childhood goes out the window.

I'd stop arguing with him. He's to retarded to understand what you're trying to tell him.

>Its kinda funny how hard you're trying to argue that it's perfectly okay that clark's parents didn't know literally everything about him that I know, since I've been reading Superman comics my whole life and he's been a major part of pop culture since literally forever.
fix'd

just when I think I can't hate this movie anymore.

snyder is truly operating on the next level or mental retardation

For about the fifth time, the kents had a ton of information that would indicate a "normal" childhood/life was not in the cards for clark, and instead of helping him deal with that, they shoved their heads in the sand so the movie didn't have to start until clark was henry cavil.

So you think since he has some powers his family should assume he's invulnerable and just shoot him in the face to find out just how invulnerable he is?

Why would they risk killing their son? Invulnerability is one of the powers you wouldn't test the limits of.

Jessica Jones address this issue perfectly with Luke Cage.

>Jessica Jones: Just how unbreakable are you?
>Luke Cage: On a scale of "I don' t know" to "I don't want to find out".

Why do you keep jumping to the idea of shooting clark?

Is it because you don't have an actual counter-argument and thus need to misrepresent your opponent's argument as much as possible in hope's he'll get bored and stop replying?

No, Clark's parents still only knew he was abnormal. They didn't want to admit that a normal childhood is "out of the cards" because they weren't living in the meta-world that you're living in. The knew their son was special, and they wanted him to be able to decide his fate for himself.

Why do you keep referring to the information the kents were shown to have had in MoS as meta-information?

Is it because you don't have an actual counter-argument and thus need to misrepresent your opponent's argument as much as possible in hope's he'll get bored and stop replying?

you're assuming his parents should know the government wouldn't be able to harm him. What would the government us to harm him?

Tell me exactly how his parents should have tested his invulnerability.

>Make a comic book movie for people who aren't comic book fans
Wow bravo Snyder!

I'm asserting the kents in MoS didn't even try to learn a single thing about the reality of clark kent and demanded he be a normal farm boy and pa kent even killed himself to make sure that happened.

he's referring to information that only the audience knows because they're the audience. The people in the story wouldn't know it. Like Superman's invulnerability

>Tell me exactly how his parents should have tested his invulnerability.

So basically you have no response to this.

>my son has x-ray vision
>he can lift heavy stuff
>SURELY he can survive a tornado
>and who cares if we blow his cover in front of a freeway full of strangers from across the country

Living on a farm is pretty hazardous. The fact clark hadn't suffered any sort of normal childhood injury, like breaking a bone or even needing a bandaid, on top of the fact he can push schoolbuses out of lakes (proving he doesn't even need to breathe) would tell anyone of remote intelligence that maybe there was something special about the kid that should be investigated.

S: Did you say your Mom's name was Martha, too?
B: Yup
S: Wow. Did your Dad also tell you never to help anyone ever? Even sacrificing himself to prove that point, yet you grew up and did it anyway, on a global scale, no less?

How about a goddamn papercut for starters and then go from there?

Welcome, brother!

>son lemme hit you with this baseball bat and see how tough you are.

>stand here and lemme hit you with this car

This is basically you

How about
>hey clark, time for vaccinations, this won't hurt
>needle breaks

That wasn't the dilemma. That's just what Clark thought the dilemma was.

>OP makes a fake ass thread about how he "found out MoS is actually good you guys seriously"
>Says a bunch of gay shit about how he has a kid
>Is now being fucking tossed around like a silly bitch about the invincible son scene for a million posts until the thread dies
beautiful