/swco/ - Star Wars Comics & Cartoons General

Through the Door edition

>Upcoming Releases:
swbooks.net/updates/release-2017.htm

>Out This Week:
Rebels 3.11: "Ghosts of Geonosis" (January 7)

>Star Wars Rebels Season 3 - Mid-Season Trailer
youtu.be/upN-7ALj2OU

>Download links: (Check here for new Rebels Episodes + Books, Comics, Films, etc)
pastebin.com/nWsKtSya

>Disney Canon Guide:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t1KovH_1GYLDTAe3yrleeWiuzwulm670o_anQqr5Rcg/pubhtml

>EU Recommendation List:
docs.google.com/document/d/147N5EgCnZmcPaDYvnGQwl9cn7BhBroFb7mD2C4cmWb0/edit?usp=sharing

New Recon
youtube.com/watch?v=NM7pTSxJKyY

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NM7pTSxJKyY
vintagegeekculture.tumblr.com/post/155552054408/a-star-wars-trading-card-featuring-members-of
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What about the droid attack on the Wookies?

anyone got a stream for the episode tonight?

first for the pwoer of the dark side

What ABOUT the droid attack on the Wookies?

Say it with me: Madame Mandalore!

Why is Disney intent on ruining Mandalorians further than they already were?

Funny enough, the stream is already on Part 2.

>not Lady

Almost had me there

I'd been staying out of this thread for a while but I realized when the mid-season trailer went up that I'd missed the entire first half of rebels so I started watching the first episode today
Hot damn

Get in here and join us

>Recon sneak peak

cool

Mega when?

I don't particularly like Sabine, but seeing the butthurt in posts like this, satirical and serious, is worth it

Also;

>Implying EU Mango were better

what's so important about Mandalore anyway?

Jesus, Chopper, you ask a lady before you shove it in her mouth. That's just proper etiquette.

CHOPPED

It's really hard to think anakin became this.

>Male Maria and Chopper

This appeals to me more than it should...

it could provide trained personnel and weaponry to whichever side can woo them

>black female Imperial
>not Rae Sloane

Why does this show love to waste opportunities?

I'm not even a Mandofag, Mandos were always stupid but they keep getting worse

And don't get me started on Sabine, she exists solely for marketing purposes

Well the new Imperial did presumably die (Filoni strikes again) so I doubt they would want to waste Sloane on such a poor showing from the Empire.

I'm sure we will see her eventually, but with Thrawn in the spotlight, you can see why they're not using her right now.

Whoa, Mr. McDee, I think we hit a Wookiee back there.

>she exists solely for marketing purposes
Wrong. I'm not saying Sabine is a great character, she's easily my least loved on the show, but things aren't as simple as "she's just for marketing"

I don't like pacifist mando.

they could have gotten to an escape pod, or braced for impact, although im not sure being stranded on geonosis is better than dying

Her only purpose on Rebels would be to interact with Kanan. Not get fucked up by the Ghost without seeing Kanan.

Fifth Brother's corpse is a more interesting character than Sabine, she is shit.

>Almost had me there
Lucas would prefer they use alliteration.

She's totally for marketing

>le hip dyed hair girl who is ALSO boba fett

Yeah, not for marketing at all

>Fifth Brother dies the exact same way Maul "died" in TPM
Poetry

>you will never be as gangsta as Chopper
It hurts so bad.

By your logic, Boba or Phasma were just for marketing too.

And yes, I know, its kinda harder to defend Phasma...

Reminder not to expend your (you)s recklessly against Resistance baiters.

>hurr

She exists because people liked the original Boba Fett

But they were

Are you new to Star Wars?

The franchise is legendary for merchandizing
Star Wars: The Lunchbox
Star Wars: The Toy Series
Star Wars: The Flamethrower

It's why George made so much money

Phasma was for marketing, and Boba was just a character whose popularity exploded out of nowhere

>not wanting a femal boba fett who actually shoots things
if this was the 80s you would be over the moon

Merch comes after the design choices are made, not before.

Star Wars designs are never chosen with toy sales in mind.

Except Sabine isnt even attractive or interesting in the slightest, she's just "le boba girl"

Phasma was for marketing, no questions. They quite literally designed her to be the new Boba Fett.

She sucks more than Boba, and that is really saying something

that was good enough for the original "look good and stand around" boba fett

>make shiny stormtrooper bitch your new boba fett
>nobody likes her and everyone instead jumps on the "random fucko with a riot baton" bandwagon

Should the next cartoon be CGI or 2D, /swco/?

I wouldn't mind an Avatar-like style. I think it would work pretty well with acrobatic fighting styles

>youtube.com/watch?v=NM7pTSxJKyY
Oh god, that's an Old Man McQuarrie protocol droid that transforms into the battle droid we saw in the mid-season trailer?

E W O K S
W
O
K
S

And more seriously, Lando
Lando was created because there weren't any toys for black kids to buy.
And that to be changed. All that wasted money

to be fair, TR-8R is the only person to have ever beaten a saber-user

Boba wasnt a main fucking character, stop trying to equate them when they clearly arent the same

2D might slow down the action due to production costs

There will be no more animated 2D, user.

2D or bust

Droids for lyfe.

For what it's worth it's not like Sloane would make a ton of sense here. She's a vice admiral by around the first season of Rebels so it's not like she's going to be running around investigating every planetary sensor that's tripped.

CGI is infinitely better for Star Wars, especially when you take into consideration how they produce and direct the episodes.

I'd like a more calm Star Wars show. Focusing on drama and story more than action. Slice of life, scavenger stories.

Do you prefer the canon mangos or the EU mangos?

No memes please.

>TFA
stop

>especially when you take into consideration how they produce and direct the episodes.
Could you explain how they're produced and directed? Why is CGI better for it?

What is it about Phase II clone armor that looks so inherently heroic, despite the obvious parallels to Imperial Stormtrooper armor, and the fact that they spent half the movie as bad guys?

>especially when you take into consideration how they produce and direct the episodes.
how do you mean

I'd favor 2d simply because it's generally easy to depict different styles in it.

Canon Mangos. EU Mangos are bad space Klingons.

canon by a wide margin.

But for what its worth, im not a huge Mando fan anyways. I just think the canon ones are generally ok, and the EU ones are shit-ok

Anything that's not by Traviss, that fucking hack.

Just looks like a stormtrooper with a different helmet to me.

vintagegeekculture.tumblr.com/post/155552054408/a-star-wars-trading-card-featuring-members-of
>A Star Wars trading card featuring members of Yoda’s unknown alien race at prayer.

>Very little is known about the race Yoda belongs to, but since the only examples of the species we ever see are wise, serene Jedi masters (there’s never one just standing about in the background in a spaceport scene, for instance), it’s reasonable to assume they are a peaceful, spiritual, live monastic lives, and never leave their homeworld. It’s doubtful they even have technology or space travel…and if they do, use them sparingly.

>George Lucas made it a policy to never show Yoda’s species. I guess it’s for the same reason that J.R.R. Tolkien added Tom Bombadil and never explained who he was, since in Tolkien’s words, “there should be some mysteries of a world unknown even to the creator.” For instance, the trading card above caused Lucasfilm to pulp the entire run to get it out of circulation. If George Lucas had a story idea behind Yoda’s race, we’ll never know it now, since he sold Star Wars and has no input on the projects.

>Anecdotally, I remember that in the days before the internet was a thing, and every kid was obsessed with Star Wars, there was a bit of folklore going around on my playground that Yoda was actually from a race of giants, but as they get older, they get smaller. Who knows how things like that get started?

AotC phase 1>ROTS/TCW phase 2>TCW phase 1>stormtroopers>>>>>>itroopers

You watched TCW as a kid and so your adult emotions are shaped by your childhood experiences

SNOKE IS YODA

>Stormtroopers that low

fuck off idiot

quads deserve an answer

well if i had to choose between a star wars story about a scavenger and a rebel, i would always choose the rebel

Is there more to this piece?

interdasting

>that statue
Wait, I recognize him

Does anyone know why CG Tarkin is so fucking tall? Mendelson is only one inch shorter than Cushing was but there's a goddamn six inch difference between the two bare minimum.

Yeah well, fifth brothers corpse might be eaten by a togruta by now.

McQuarrie hated them.

>Does anyone know why CG Tarkin is so fucking tall? Mendelson is only one inch shorter than Cushing was but there's a goddamn six inch difference between the two bare minimum.
care to show your work?

Sloane is still in the Academy at this point and was never captain on a light cruiser.

to make him appear more imposing, if he was shorter than krennic, he would come across as bullying him due to his rank, rather than genuinely more powerful like they wanted

She's an ISD captain in A New Dawn and a Vice Admiral in the Kanan comic. All way before today's episode.

Boba had a cool helmet and voice, wasn't either Imperial or rebel.. It's not odd, really.

Remember, there were very few people outside of the conflict at the time.

Tarkin is a full head taller than Krennic. But Cushing was 6'0 and Mendelson is 5'9. I just saw the movie like an hour ago for the first time and it was SUPER jarring.

I mean they already have a Tarkin with weirdly low res skin textures.

I think that you're thinking of Ciena Ree. Sloane's already a vice admiral by now.

Well the first and most obvious reason is that CGI encourages the animators to make the models move as life-like as they can. In a franchise where keeping everything equally canon to the Live-Action media, this is important to make the cartoons feel like a believable part of the Star Wars universe. Stylized 2d animation wouldn't work as effectively.

But to my original point, Filoni explained that when they started making TCW, Lucas instructed him to direct the episodes as if it was real, live-action Star Wars, not a cartoon.

The rooms, and locations? They're the sets, you build them, you build them properly. The character models? They're the actors, you treat them as actors, you direct them to appropriately make use of the sets you've built.

Also, just to extend that information, having actual sets and models being built means you can reuse them. Genndy's cartoon wasn't particularly flashy, and two seasons of the 2003 cartoon amounted to just 2 hours of footage. Meanwhile TCW and Rebels have about 150 22 minute long, incredibly high quality full episodes. They look better, and offer way more content, and part of that is literally because you can work so much faster, and produce so much more, with CGI.

Don't get me wrong, 2D animation can be pretty (albiet very limited, just look at the limited amount of artstyles, especially the more common and expected ones. Any 3D production worth a damn can put in significant effort to have a completely original aesthetic. Look at TCW for example, I can't think of a single other show of movie with that wonderful handpainted marionette-looking artstyle)

It's just for Star Wars, I can't imagine any animated show working half as well as the CGI shows do, even if you could get something pretty, like that TIE Fighter fan video.

arr rook rame

you assume the characters are as tall as their actors

I misspoke. I thought you were referring to Ciena Ree. The OTHER black female ship captain.

You never see one as a random bridge operator. For some reason they're ALWAYS a captain bare minimum.

You are rebel scum.

But more than that, I'd like to see third parties living their not boring lives in North Shaddaa.

Will we ever see her incompetent ass in Rebels?

>Mandalore and Sabine focus in Rebels

Aww, and they wanted me to watch it!

Their canon heights are also not that far apart. Krennic is 1.8 meters. Tarkin is 1.85 meters. That's a two inch difference mostly explained by Tarkin being an inch higher than Cushing is according to the wiki.

Guy Henry is 6'4, so that's why Tarkin is so tall in Rogue One

I really want to see a young member of their species. It's so hard to visualize Yoda as anything other than 900 years old.

you could have some scum and villainy, but everyone would want it to be about smugglers and bounty hunters, so it would quickly spiral into fast paced action that outstrips the capabilities of 2D

>Been a major Fettfag since I was a kid
>Read everything with him in it
>Stopped reading/watching EU after KotOR 2
>Check back in after The Force Awakens
>Apparently they're ruining Mandos and everyone hates them now

Fug

Why is Yoda wearing Beats earbuds?

The brain damaged version?

Well why did they use him? You'd assume given how important matching stats is in filmmaking they'd just use an actor that was more within an inch or two.

So what was his reaction when finding out Alderaan was his daughter's homeworld? And that he was torturing her at the Death Star?