The Dunwich Horror (1970); also Lovecraft General

Is this movie any good?

Every time a Lovecraft thread comes up people always bring up the Carpenter movies, the Stewart Gordon movies, and The Void but I never see this one mentioned.

Is that because it's bad or is it just that no one has seen it?

I mean it stars Dean Stockwell, it can't be all bad. Right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pd5gWGfnK5M
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I guess no one's seen it.

This, if it's good, will be some lovecraftian kino

>creatures made out of light that turn animals into plants

not very lovecraft except the stupid "it's impossible to describe what they look like" shit

Damn, Natalie Portman is past her prime.

I remember when she was still jail bait.

>YFW this is what she looks like in her IDF uniform

oyyy veyyyy

Have you read the book? There's spooky vaguely religious text and shit. It's very lovecraftian.

very lovecraftian

Pls no. It was on Netflix for years.

That book was utter shit. So hamfisted and boring.

So was it good or not?

>I mean it stars Dean Stockwell, it can't be all bad. Right?

wrong
t. someone who has seen shitty Dean Stockwell movies

Just watch the Passion of The Christ
It's pretty much the same story but instead of God as dad it's Yog Sothoth

It's pretty much like any lovecraft story just longer.

It was a drive-in movie. Nothing special, sorry.

I just watched a movie called THE VOID, made in 2016. It's very good, and very "cthulu mythos". Try that OP.

>Is this movie any good?
It's good Until it jumps the shark at the end.

>Is that because it's bad or is it just that no one has seen it?
I've seen it and its remake. Both are okay. and interesting enough, both jump the shark in virtually the same place.

This movie is very 60s/70s psychadelic. It's not well acted either but there are worse things to watch. I've seen it twice due to a lvecraft itch.

It's...not great. Mind you, it's been a few decades since I've seen it. One of the most underrated title sequences I've ever seen though.
The remake, also with Stockwell, is absolutely atrocious.

>tfw no lovecraftian gf

that was the coolest trailer shown before bladerunner 2049 desu. I'll def be seeing it

no, it's pretty forgettable and cheap

Currently reading The Whisperer in Darkness and loving it.

Not quite jazzed about the movie version though...

youtube.com/watch?v=pd5gWGfnK5M

They are actual Lovecraft fans and do it justice. They just have weird production is all. Feels more like a play.

Oh, nice. Good to hear. I'll admit that I haven't really dove into the film version of a lot of things just because they don't seem to get the tone correct. It's kind of annoying because so far I'm LOVING the Lovecraft collection I'm reading, and it's actually living up to the hype and scaring me. But then when the movies get made they just go LOL STEAMPUNK AND TENTACLES! and call it a day

>it's very good
But it's mediocre at best

Ha I know what you mean. I used to have some crazy dreams after reading Lovecraft and thinking about these weird dimensions and beings. You are right though most have missed the mark with him. I might be partial to it because I saw it as a kid and it freaked me out but The movie From Beyond is adapted from lovecraft and captures a true sense of horror for me or did as a child.