Hey man why don't we take the harry potter world and make a story about a guy that runs around the world collecting...

>Hey man why don't we take the harry potter world and make a story about a guy that runs around the world collecting magical animals
>Nah, I might be 12 years old but i'm really mature for my age, let's make it about an evil conspiracy and have it set entirely on new york city, also have as many ties in with the original movies as possible.

Why Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

variety.com/2016/film/news/fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-five-movies-1201888226/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

don't forget

>blonde johnny depp as wizard hitler
>wizard president is a black womyn

The scenes with the animals were 10/10 animal kino

The Potter world without the school kiddie stuff was interesting, but a story in a euro setting would be better.

Wouldn't mind if she didn't looked like a hunger games aristocrat.

I liked them, I just wish the movie was about that, instead of being pretty much done with that plot around halfway trough the movie.

If that triggers you so much just be thankful that it managed to have 4 white leads in the current year.

Maybe because the most formidable beasts are the studio executives who are prey only to one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises? Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert. Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

>I just wish the movie was about that
they needed a 5 film plan, so more of that will probably be sprinkled throughout. just wait for the animal scenes supercut

>just wait for the animal scenes supercut

God, I hope.

>Atlas Shrugged in good tier
>1984 higher than brave new world
>LotR and Harry Potter in the same tier
Kill yourself nigger

It won't get better since it seems that they want the next movies to be about the young Dumbledore fighting his boyfriend with help from his sidekick Newt.

This is obviously impossible because this is just how the book is written, but a 5 movie plan I would of preferred infinitely to this would be dedicating every movie to a different place in the world, and probably making the movies closer to 1 and a half hours instead of nearly 3 hours long.

Maybe it's because I was a kid when I watched the original HP series and grew up with it, but I couldn't stand FB. The character was a legit aspie and the story was very childish.

i liked it

was better than the last 2 HP movies

the books where shit as well

dam bro when you even in highschool yet?

>This is obviously impossible
variety.com/2016/film/news/fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-five-movies-1201888226/

>they needed a 5 film plan
they did fucking not

This practice of pre-planning sequels in such a way as the one or two good ideas are sprinkled over movies that are predominately dogshit just means the first movie is as shit as the first sequel used to be.

The simplest way to make people want more is to make good movies then, and this seems beyond hollywood, not shit all over the audience.

I liked the sperg, the muggle baker and the sisters.

But everything regarding the cloud of evil child magic felt stupid and completely unrelated to the magical beasts plot.

>Yates teased on Thursday that the second film will take place in another global capital city — not the upcoming pic’s New York City setting. “It will be very different,”

Well, one can hope, but it's probably still going to be more about autismo than about looking for animals.

Fantastic Beasts isn't a franchise yet nor is it adapted from any real books.
I don't see how the pasta applies.

*upvoted*

t. r_the_donald

*gives gold*

Stop it

this. I really liked it. the baker having to lose his memory at the end is really sad to me, even though he gets to meet his waifu again. the thought of having that adventure and seeing all those amazing things, and then having it stripped away from your life as if it never happened is pretty hearbreaking to me.

it was a pretty welcome break from "british school kids have a magical scooby doo adventure" over and over. and there were barely any tie-ins to the rest of the series, op, I think the most overt was when they mentioned dumbledore in a passing comment. it worked just fine as a self-contained story.

Thanks kind stranger.

Hey, here's an idea for a franchise in the HP universe.

Drop the idiotic wizard-hitler storyline and just have it be about tracking down progressively more aggressive/illusive/hostile/intelligent beasts. But everyone says this.

But instead of having the muggle go "hey wipe my memory I don't want to live in a world where magic exists and everything is amazing," develop the character along the lines of him showing magical affinity/ability, when by all accounts hes a muggle and shouldn't have any at all, and develop a storyline around if magic could be used by anyone, why the magical academies are keeping the wizarding world so small, and then expand from there.

>the baker having to lose his memory at the end is really sad to me

That was alright.

>it worked just fine as a self-contained story.

Maybe in the sense that you don't need the other movies, but it's definitely not self-contained when half the movie is expend setting up things for the sequels.

harry potter has been capeshit since at least the fifth movie, fantastic beasts is the doctor strange to the mainline avenger flicks

i wish they went to the US but in present time

maybe visit the american equivalent to hogwartz

reminder the magicians is a better continuation of harry potter than anything hollywood or rowling is ever going to shit out

Annoying how schools from other countries are only referred to in one single movie and then forgotten about.

Why would they be mentioned when 99% of the HP plot happens in Bongland and Hogwarts?

>in present time

fuck no , 1990s maybe

Dunno.

Could of been mentioned in fucking fantastical beats tho.

its a good movie stop being triggered

but what happened to the real guy that he was "impersonating" the entire time?

It was a very disappointing movie with a very promising premise that goes out the window for yet again the same shit.

> wizard president is black woman

Considering this movie is supposed to take place early 1900s.... not sure

It's cool to see the USA in this settings side of things and also it's a kids movie you autist.

>It's cool to see the USA in this settings side of things
spoken like a true burger

>WE WUZ MAGICIANS AND SHIEEEET

Were you really expecting a well-crafted adventure film from one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

I'm not American I'm an alcoholic

>have as many ties in with the original movies as possible
Name one.

Yes, it's a kids movie, and I wanted it to fully embrace that instead of going the pseudo adult drama that still feels like a child wrote it.

Dumbledore is going to be a major character, and admittedly I shouldn't have assumed this to be certain, but to me it's obvious they're building up to Voldermort being one of the black smoke things childs.

Fantastic Beasts was honestly way better than it had any right to be. I thought the setting was really cool and hunting down different magical animals around New York was really fun. Main character was oddly charming in a autist kinda way as well.

Can't fucking wait for more Dumbledore backstory and the Paris setting too. Hope the inevitable Dumbledore vs Grindelwald fight is Dumbledore vs Voldemort (OotP) tier.

>they're building up to Voldermort being one of the black smoke things childs.
No. Tom Riddle never repressed his magical abilities.

I don't think that's what they're going for honestly. I think the whole obscurial thing was set up for Dumbledore's sister being one. They're definitely getting into their backstory so Ariana is going to have to be addressed at some point.

Isn't Voldemort like 10 years away from being born?

Yeah, that was bullshit.

I'd be surprised if that isn't what they're going for, at most I expect it to not be a major plotpoint, and just be hinted at maybe near the end, if not that, THEN I'd be actually more ok with it.

>Dumbledore's sister being one
ACTUAL MAJOR SPOILER
Dumbledore has epic battle with Grindelwald. She dies in the crossfire.

>muggles can all actually use magic
holy shit, mind blown, that would be genius

David Yates is a hack

I found the movie enjoyable and comfy.