>Hideaki Anno
>Yasujirō Ozu
>Hayao Miyazaki
>Ishiro Honda
>Akira Kurosawa
>Takashi Miike
>Mamoru Oshii
>Ryuhei Kitamura

This isn't a film discussion board, its shitposting about the latest hollywood blockbuster.

>no Mamoru Oshii
Hideaki Anno. He should move on from EVA

He's on the list, user. And are you familiar with the work of the other directors?

>
HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

where should i go to discuss film?

Oshima

Old - Ozu
Contemporary - Koreeda

No recent nip directors come even close to Koreeda

No love for Hideaki Anno?

>no Fukasaku

I don't even like EVA that much, but not even fans think he's done anything else great.
Mamoru Oshii, Miyazaki, Takahata, Yuasa and Watanabe are the goats.

forgot kobayashi op

>no Okamoto Kihachi
FAGGOT

>but not even fans think he's done anything else great.
Gunbuster, Kare Kano, Love & Pop, Shiki-Jitsu, and Shin Godzilla. Cutie Honey is decent.

Kurosawa was the best storyteller and overall the most gifted filmmaker. Ozu, however, captured the zeitgeist of the times and the spirit of the Japanese people better in his film than anyone before or after, with the possible exception of Masaki Kobayashi's The Human Condition trilogy.

Satoshi Kon deserves an honorable mention if you are going to include Anno.

>overall the most gifted filmmaker
Little known fact: While Ishiro Honda doesn't get credit for it, Kurosawa's 80s films (Kagemusha, Ran, Dreams) were co-directed efforts. Kurosawa was losing his vision at this point in his life and asked his lifelong friend to help because he couldn't do it alone. Btw, Honda was the director of the early Godzilla movies.

Millenium Actress & Perfect blue are good
Paprika and Tokyo Godfathers are trash
Kon is overrated as fuck.

coming in to give some love to:
Seijun Suzuki
Hiroshi Teshigahara
Toshio Matsumoto

eva fans are the last people you want to ask for insightful opinions about eva

you've never seen any films by shimizu or yamanaka, or gosho so don't think you know anything about japanese cinema, criterioncore faggot

What Japanese films would you recommend? What are the top ten essentials?

I appreciate the recommendations. I'll check them out and take them into account in my Japcore rankings.

Audition is kino.

Is Miike for the faint of heart?

No love for 90's- 04 Shunji Iwai?

Mamoru Oshii is the GOAT

get better taste

No love for Kitano?

Fuck OP. Abandoning your thread. Stupid bitch. Fuck you. Cocksucker. Gook fucker. Stupid slope loving white bitch

>Kitano
>He has received critical acclaim for his idiosyncratic cinematic work, winning numerous awards with Japanese film critic Nagaharu Yodogawa having once dubbed him "the true successor" to influential filmmaker Akira Kurosawa.
Whoa. Have to check this guy out.

sono bth

He is no person!

yeah buddy

I love him user

what's some essential suzuki? ive only seen branded to kill & tokyo drifter

>no Kon
pleb

Any love for Shusuke Kaneko here?

I don't understand why people could dicksuck Miike but ignore Kitano

Shunji Iwai.

how could you miss Satoshi Kon?

>Hayao Miyazaki

Embarrassing. No anime director should be on a list of best Japanese directors, but at least Eva had some great moments.