Home Cinema vs Going to the Cinema

Do you still go to the cinema or do you watch at home on your large screen television?

I can't see much of a motivation to go to the cinema anymore. With a large screen television and a short viewing distance the relative size of the image from your point of view is similar. And a good television will often have a more detailed and brighter picture than many cheap cinemas. A lot of cinemas have blurry, washed out, and dim images that strip away any of the benefits you get from a 4k Digital Cinema file. And 4k is also available at home now. -And- many films are only released in 2k even in cinema.

Audio could be a difference, but many home Surround Sound set-ups sound great. I suppose if you are living in an apartment you might get some complaints about noise at night from the neighbors. That is a point in the favor of the commercial cinema.

But when you go out you have to deal with people talking, not being able to pause the movie to get and go to the bathroom, and the very real possibility of bringing home bedbugs with you. Hey, it happens.

I suppose there is an appeal to just getting out of the house. Sometimes it's hard to watch a movie at home without distractions interfering. And of course if you want to watch something the moment it comes out when everyone is talking about you'll have to see it in the cinema or watch a CAM rip.

Which one are you doing? Are you still going to the movies?

Other urls found in this thread:

realorfake4k.com/my-product_category/real4k/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>But when you go out you have to deal with people talking, not being able to pause the movie to get and go to the bathroom, and the very real possibility of bringing home bedbugs
Don't forget be murdered in mass shooting.

>HD TV
>Ultra HD TV
what will they call whatever comes after ultra?

Super Ultra HD TV

UHF--->VHF
Very High Def TV?

It's still just 8k UHD for now, but I have heard some people throwing around the terms Reality Definition, Final Definition, and Master Definition.

>Go to the movies
>Woman talks to her friend the whole movie
>People checking their phones every 5 minutes
>People who work for the theater making noise just outside the door
>Theater is too cold
>People putting their feet on the seat behind you
>Weirdo sitting too close to you
>Fat ass crinkling a plastic candy bag the whole movie
>Audio is too low
>Theater turns the house lights on before the movie is over

Watched BR 2049 in AMC Dolby.

Best viewing experience in my life. Sound and screen were top notch.

Also, 8k is probably a long ways off. It is a pain in the ass to work with for little benefit.

is that imax

I would go to the cinema but I cant because of the one person policy they have.

I think it goes Super>Ultra>Mega>
Don't know what comes after that.

pusy tv

I've been dying to go to one, it's hard to get tickets for the one near me

Unless they start making 30 feet TVs I won't stop going to the movies

I prefer movies at home due to frame-rate: 22fps at the theatre looks horrible; any kind of motion just becomes a blurry mess, you wonder why they even bother with all this CGI action shit when it's impossible to make out in the theatre.

Going to the cinema during the day on a weekday is the best. Max 4-5 other people there (and they're mostly old people who are quiet ad respectful), it's cheap, you can get perfect seats

Super Ultra HDTV Turbo

I would go to the cinema more if there were less ads.

No the IMAX is inferior. At least the AMC theater. It's in 3D and the screen isn't big or anything.

Dolby has this awesome dual 4k projector thing going on and these giant speakers all around.

It's also has reclining leather seats.

only if I can download a new movie. fuck streaming.

And DolbyVision is HDR for movie theaters.
And DolbyAtmos is peak sound for movies. The sounds literally travel around the space of the theater.

it'll go back to just "television"
very....minimalist...

>But when you go out you have to deal with people talking, not being able to pause the movie to get and go to the bathroom, and the very real possibility of bringing home bedbugs with you. Hey, it happens.

But when you go out you have to deal with niggers and spics actively trying to ruin your movie going experience because they hate white people

fixed

>he complains about niggers and spics
>he lives amongst them

guess who else is a nigger and spic, user

Why buy a $1000 OLED when you can watch a movies in an OLED theatre for $29.99 only

>have 17inch screen laptop with 20$ headphones
>download 1GB mkvcage rips
>bring a hot cup of coffee and some pastries
>wrap myself in a blanket
THE ULTIMATE KINO EXPERIENCE

Why bother spending thousands on a massive TV when for a few hundred you can get some VR goggles and get the experience of actually being in the cinema, without all the crying babies and gang members?

>mkvcage
Is that the new axxo/yify?

> t.why I don't go out to cinema anymore

Why bother watching movies when you can read all the spoilers on Sup Forums

OMEGA EDITION

I have a 65'' TV and 5.1 sound system and I still go to the cinema. TV, doesn't matter how big, doesn't compare to IMAX not to mention living in an apartment, I can't exactly crank up the volume to the max.

I just watch it on my computer.

>buys $2000 OLED
>gets burn in within a month

wow lad nice technology you have there.

>Dolby has this awesome dual 4k projector thing
Didn't know they did that in commercial theaters. Projector blending can create some incredible images.

Headphones bruh

I go to the movies every week. I don't even own a television. I live near 2 multiplexes and 3 independent cinemas that show both "art house" and older classic movies. Whenever I feel like watching a movie one of them is bound to have something good playing, in fact I can't attend all the shows I'd like to.

sad

Number of movies in ULTRA HD:0
Number of movies in 4K:10
Number of TV Channel in 4K (unless you're wapanese):0

you will always fell for your average cheap seller trap

>Do you still go to the cinema...

Nope.

Stopped buying tickets years ago. My TV and sound system are great.

FUCK Hollywood!

This, I just want to get the sony x900e.

>going to see br2049 again today in an atmos theatre
too bad there's no IMAX near here, but at least it's in 2D.

The overhead speakers were pretty sweet in Dunkirk plane scenes.

>tfw $10,000 OLED TVs have better contrast ratio and color accuracy than cinema screen projection

Due to Abe's mandate, Japan will be investing heavily in 8K

>go to the movies
>pay to watch movie
>still forced to watch ads

Yet even an old film projector from the 80s provides a better experience than the SHARPEST SCREEN WITH THE HIGHEST CONTRAST.

There are hundreds of movies out in 4k now. You're behind the times.

Sitting 15 ft from a 10 ft screen is the same as sitting 45 ft from a 30 ft screen.

Only advantage OLED has is that the blacks are actually black, but you then have the added disaster waiting to happen of screen burn in, you better hope an icon doesn't appear or a watermark when you are watching anything.

I'll stick to a decent normal TV with good backlight bleed prevention until something better comes along.

It's not. Neither is holding up your phone really close to your face, which I sometimes do.

>look at a hill from a couple yards away is the same as looking at a mountain from a mile away.

yeah,no. Remember when you purchased your first "full HD" TV ? What the salesman told you ? Do you know the TV equivalent of remastering ?

You can even choose your own seat. Perfect.
If they made some sort of networked version you could invite your friends into the same viewing session.

are you being ironic or genuinely excited about this absolute garbage product?

realorfake4k.com/my-product_category/real4k/

nothing because I ordered it off the internet and just walked in to pick it up

>of course if you want to watch something the moment it comes out when everyone is talking about you'll have to see it in the cinema or watch a CAM rip.

No movie is worth watching as a CAM rip.

Ever try having just a few friends over to watch a movie, vs going to the theater? Even the more annoying of them tend to shut up and stay put when they're at a theater. Meanwhile at home they're all invariably going to the bathroom, getting up to get snacks and drinks, and checking their phones.

>Also, 8k is probably a long ways off.

It's going to come sooner than you think since 4K TV is not a huge difference over 1080p but 8K actually is.

Kinda excited. If the studios had one ounce of innovation they'd offer direct streaming of brand new movies to these things and allow people to watch it in personal groups from their homes.

It is. It's a simple triangular function of side length vs height, so long as the two have the same proportion the viewing angle will be identical.

Viewing angle maybe, but that doesn't mean it's the same thing. Your brain can tell the difference.

Well in Australia, our best Cinema's are 2K with poorly calibrated projectors & old Dolby Digital Surround

4K HDR on OLED with Dolby Atmos is amazing in terms of quality at home, but size & atmosphere can't be beat at the cinemas

No they wouldn't cinemas make a lot of their profit from food / drinks.

I have a 65 inch 4k TV I sit about 5 feet away from. You don't know kino until you've watched Lawrence of Arabia in 4k at home.

Except the actual of experience of either scenario are drastically difference due to spectacle and ambience.

you are pretty much correct OP. I have been doing an "experiment" for the past year where I watch movies both at the cinema and then at home when they get on blu ray.

8 times out of 10 the experience is better at home. The few exceptions that I can remeber are Fury Road and (maybe) GotG vol. 2

For me it's a spectrum, with story telling at one end and visuals at the other. I appreciate a story driven movie much better at home while a visual movie with not much of a story is slightly better at the cinema. I also find it slightly hard to focus on the story at the cinema (people talking, kids crying, popcorn sounds, phone lights).

The problem is when you have both in the same package (story + visuals), cause it's hard to decide. This is the reason why I haven't seen Blade Runner 2049 yet. I still can't decide where to watch it.

My ideal cinema would be a pitch blank room where I can forget about the surrounding world and immerse myself into the film. Seeing the backs of other seats, the exit light etc. are distractions but a necessary evil I've learned to accept. Why someone would go out of their way to recreate them is beyond me.

>I appreciate a story driven movie much better at home while a visual movie with not much of a story is slightly better at the cinema. I also find it slightly hard to focus on the story at the cinema (people talking, kids crying, popcorn sounds, phone lights).
Are you American? Literally none of these things happen at movie theatres after the trailers end.
I don't want to sound confrontational but "I only go to the cinema to watch special effects" is one of the dumbest opinions ever widely expressed. I love watching dramas and thrillers etc. at the cinema because the big screen immerses you better into the story. It's not about seeing as many particles as possible in a CGI effect.

No, pixel density must also be taken into consideration.

I do have a 100" screen with suround sound audio. The experience is much better than in a real cinema. Here in Germany you must be living in a big city and than be lucky to even catch a movie in the original language in shitty small cinemas.
In the Netherlands a new cinema chain video streaming service will be launched soon. There u will be able to stream any film as soon is out of the theater and way before the bluray release for around 5 bucks. Once others follow suit here in Germany I will never go to the cinema again except perhaps some special imax showing.

>daily reminder that southern european countries dub their movies
AHAHAHA

not american. every country has it's niggers. This didn't happen years ago. Only lately it's been a problem (don't know why).

>"I only go to the cinema to watch special effects" is one of the dumbest opinions ever widely expressed.

I'm not that kind of retard that watches Transformers at the cinema. This was basically my observation after watching Fury Road. It's a great movie, but let's be serious, it doesn't have much of a story: go from A to B, now go from B to A.

My other anecdotal evidence was that I am more immersed in a story when whatching the movie at home. I don't know how you people manage to do this at the cinema. For this to happen the stars must align:
-best seat in the theater
-people not talking
-NO FUCKING KIDS! FUCK THIS RUINS IT FOR ME
-faggots that pull out their phone with the brightness on supernova setting
-people getting up in the middle of the movie to go to the bathroom

Maybe I should stop seeing movies when they first come out. Wait like 2-3 weeks. I remember doing this a few years back and the experience was comfy as fuck when there were like 10 people.

bruh turn down the back light to get your blacks back and stop the over heating.

I go to the movies almost weekly and I'm yet to see a phone light between the trailers and the credits. Maybe move to a white country, idk.

at this point it isn't funny anymore...just annoying as hell...almost every cinema at an university shows the films in the original language and most people i grew up with prefer it this way...just the dumb uneducated masses want their dubs. And all memes aside it is true that u can watch more russian and turkish film with original audio in germany than in english

I'm so happy to live in a small enough market that dubbing never became a thing. If they tried to introduce it now it would cause an outrage because people understand the value of hearing the actors deliver the lines, something they might not appreciate if they hadn't grown up with it.

>stop seeing movies when they first come out
this 100%, i haven't had a noteworthy bad experience since i started making an effort to only go on off days, odd hours, ect

I do that too, but it was never intentional so I didn't pay much attention to it. Maybe that's the key, stop seeing movies on release day.

Though I did see BR2049 two days after premiere and didn't see any phones or hear kids but maybe the film served as a filter.

I live in a white country. I was talking about metaphorical niggers. You don't have to be black to be a nigger. I believe brits can confirm this since they have their fair share of chavs.

I believe my problem is that I live like 3 minutes away from the 2nd or 3rd largest theather in the country. This attracts all kinds of dipshits from all over the place.

Whoops I meant I