How does Sup Forums feel about Deadpool getting Oscar buzz?

How does Sup Forums feel about Deadpool getting Oscar buzz?

I mean it's probably just because the Oscars want a blockbuster to attract viewers, but still, not too shabby for a film that released in February.

>Deadpool getting Oscar buzz

Was it kino???

>Seeing the salt on other websites because the MCU has yet to get a serious award

It's fun seeing the hubris of Marvelfags blow up in their face

Glad to see something other than drama/biopic get some buzz.

It seems like any film that has a respecatable cast or director, that covers an important event in history, historical figure or social matter automatically gets Oscar buzz just because it's the right sort of film, even if the film itself is hopelessly mediocre.

I heard I honestly didn't expect it to be true though

>When the best movie in the year has pegging
>But as a joke

yes it was a movie

It's not really unusual for a genre, science fiction or fantasy film, much less a pure action film, to receive one or more nominations. It's highly unlikely Deadpool will actually receive a nomination for an award that most people take seriously. To date, the best anything has managed is Ledgers Best Supporting Actor win. However, visual effects is a common nomination (several MCU films have gotten those), The Dark Knight and Superman The Movie are the only films that have gotten more than two technical nominations, so Deadpool getting something (possible a writing nomination) isn't outside the realm of possibility but it's highly unlikely.

>Thumbnail
Strongbad Movie. That's what I saw, and that's what I want.

they're going to pull a mad max on it: nominate a very popular movie that the normies actually watched to remind them that the academy is still relevant (because they say so), but at best they'll give it B or C series oscars like special effects.

>biography
>antiracist/antifascist/antisexist etx
>has "American" in the title
>based on true events
>protagonist portrays an LG to character
>movie includes tracking shots
>movie has an old era gimmick (mute, B&W, classic musical etc)
>movie is a guilt trip
>actor died during filming or before release

Any movie that checks any two of the above is an immediate Oscar contender.

*LGBT character

TDK should have won Best Picture that year but wasn't even nominated becaus "muh pro war message"

Two more you forgot.

>about WWII (especially the holocaust)

>about the film industry

You know, I always thought Sup Forums was being uppity when it was talking "kino" and "taste" and then going back to the Marvel movies. Then I realized that outside of The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man's first film and The Winter Soldier... someone said something about a TV Show and that's what I realized Marvel's big screen drops were - high-budget TV Shows. I actually realized that I wasn't going in for a cinematic experience, good or bad, but I was essentially paying to watch a TV Show stretched 2 hours.

Like, an example, Batman v Superman was am overall BAD movie, but it was a MOVIE, there were all sort of things like color saturation, motifs, etc, or attempts at them. Marvel's just feel like a serial I should be watching on the couch every Friday rather than in theaters.

>fantasy
The Return of the King won 11 Oscars in 2003, including 'Best Director' and 'Best Picture'.

No, Benjamin Button should have won best picture. TDK was still much better than Slumdog millionaire.

The Dark Knight didn't deserve Best Picture in 2008. That should have been Wall-E's. It did, however, deserve to come a close 2nd-5th.

But ever since Beauty and the Beast won the democratic vote for the win - and was veto-ed for it - back in the early 90s, and Babe's almost-upset, they created the category to shaft animation because it wasn't uppity enough. You can look at how Babe was the straw that broke the back when the "Academy" decided that animation was tearing their art form a new one.

>Oscar
People actually care about those?

Why do people still care about the Oscars when it is just a Hollywood elite circle-jerk?

It was a good movie. Best picture should mean "best picture", not "best drama".

Spotlight was such a boring fucking movie, like I can't understand how people can enjoy that movie, let alone think it's MOTY.

>Gets a Golden Globe nom. Won't win anything.
>OMG GUYS OSCAR BUZZ!

I'll take a good serial adventure over an awful, pretentious movie.
Serials are fun. This is why people made Raiders of the Lost Ark popular; it had an old serial film feel to it.

Most of us don't want to watch Snyder fellate himself while being nailed to a cross.

I know, I'm not arguing it was a bad movie. I am, however, arguing, at least, that it feels like a film.

Also, in terms of "serial" I mean by continuous. Not as in "old movie serials". Snyder was a bad fit for the film, but it did at least feel like a film. When I watch Marvel I don't feel what you call a "cinematic experience". I felt like I was just catching a show. It may be good, but it certainly didn't feel like a film any more than it did a binge watch.

I know it got globe noms but usually when the one throws out a nom, it usually doesn't get anything from the other but if it got noms in both I would die laughing.

Deadpool getting an oscar.. wtf

Exactly. The Imitation Game and Theory of Everything leap to mind. Haven't seen Spotlight but seems like the same thing.

Painfully mediocre, predictable and cloying yet were lauded with accolades for being the right type of picture.

Important subject matter doesn't make it an important film.

Final nail to the coffin might be Zootopia's lack of nomination.It's relevant since media creams themselves over racism all over the world, but it was released early in the year so nominees might skip it altogether just like the Lego Movie. And second: it's about Talking Animals, it may be omitted because for this very reason, not taken seriously at all.

Fox thought this movie was going to bomb, and look at the run it's had. From not even making back its budget to highest grossing rated R movie and so far a golden globe nod. It also got a Writers Guild nod too just yesterday. Which means SAG is going to be involved.

>just like the Lego Movie
I'm certain the Lego Movie snub was due to it being a toy vehicle and also having a very silly title.

But underneath is a thoughtfull movie with universal message

either way Oscars are a joke, its simply Academy's circle jerking. Gonna bet on Moana, boring clusterfuck like Brave, but it has a brown strong independent princess.

>But underneath is a thoughtfull movie with universal message
Obviously, but the point was it was casually dismissed for those reasons, not simply because it was released earlier in the year.

And at least Moana had nice music. They did fuck up her character arc though. It should've been about the tension between how much of her leaving on the quest was because she had to help her people and how much was her just being selfish and wanting to go out into the world. They touch upon it a bit earlier on, but then it degenerates into a "believe in yourself" moral. The movie would've been much better served being about how selfish heroics can be, given that Maui's own arc relies heavily on that. I'm sure you could slightly rework Tamatoa and the Island Goddess into that somehow too.

It could use one last rewrite, but as the directors mentioned on vimeo , they were running out of time, to the point they had to reused charade models from frozen and zootopia in the realm of monsters.This movie apparently it was released this year to recoup the losses Zootopia was going to generate, they were wrong, Zootopia did great at the box office.

The thing about the Oscars is that they should represent the pinnacle of the year's best films. Meatloaf himself was on the panel and said it was a shitshow and they look at director names over movies half the time. He himself won't name names, but he said that he wouldn't want to hang out with the voters because they care more for who it is than what they actually did that year. I don't think he's spoken about it since, but I remember him talking about it when the reporters asked how the panel was.

I personally lost my respect for it when they took the Oscar votes AWAY from Beauty and the Beast because it "by count", won. Seriously, what the Hell was up with that?

If it gets a nom for anything its because the Academy is desperate to appeal to mass audiences. It doesn't deserve anything. The special effects weren't that good, the camerawork was serviceable but nothing more, the script was entertaining but unspectacular, and the acting was standard. Maybe a nom for costume design but that's probably the only one I could take seriously.

..it didnt get it because it.. won?

Mad Max: Fury Road got ten nominations last year.

Won six.

Because it had a female lead.

So do a lot of movies. What movies don't?

Aside from The Thing and 12 Angry Men and some others.

>Caring about Jews giving each other statues

AKA Spotlight. Not a bad movie. Not best picture of the year though.

Spotlight was a fucking glorified movie and Mark Ruffalo had the most blatant "I'M ACTING" performance I've seen in years.

it was veto'd because of politics of letting animated things win in the academy.

No I agree. I'm just saying it wasn't bad.

*glorified LIfetime movie

every time I see stuff like liberals asking if deadpool will get a boyfriend, I laugh a little bit more.