Could Buffy work in 2017, or would they completely ruin it?

Could Buffy work in 2017, or would they completely ruin it?

No, the exact same show would be considered outrageously sexist today.

Maybe. It would be even more SJWy today. That show was the fucking start of Tumblr culture.

Look at what a massive faggot Sensitive Joss Whedon has turned into and you have your answer.

>a show with women that are stronger than the men 99% of the time would be sexist today

god i can't even imagine joss whedon even trying.

pretty sure tumblr culture literally kicked off with twilight, the complete antithesis of buffy.

NO. Joss Whedon will have full control over it and while he has good ideas, he has proven time and time again that when given full control his ideas turn into batshit crazy drivel.

they would ruin the campy aesthetic the show had, which was one of it's strongest aspects.

Dude Drumpf is a vampire LMAO

Buffy was kinda of famous for normalizing left-wing social justice in a time when that type of stuff was not seen a lot in genre TV. Willow the gay was pretty unique for its time. Its all considered to be tame now, because the Overton Window shifted so hard during the Obama years.

And Spuffy is the epitome of Tumblr.

>normalizing left-wing social justice
explain.

It was nothing explicit per se. But I distinctly remember tons of editorials and commentaries explaining how Buffy was a feminist show and Whedon always confirmed that.

whedon said that after the fact for brownie points. the intention was "strong female protagonist" and that was that. the entire lore of all slayers being women was fun, and there's no way he thought for more than 7 seconds about it. he went "hey, no one's done this before" and that was the entire thought process.

saying that doesn't make it true though. The hot action female has been a staple of genre fiction since forever. It's literally one of the oldest archetypes that pander to male nerds. I suppose in retrospective, Xena, Lara Croft, Red Sonja, Wonder Woman, Supergirl etc are all feminist icons now but the characters were originally created because male nerds liked sexy, strong women in their fantasy shows / games and comics.

I think at first. Then he started to buy into his own bullshit. That "subtext" of the Watchers controlling Buffy and how they made the first Slayer was such "evil patriarchy" imagery.

>how they made the first Slayer was such "evil patriarchy" imagery.

They did? I don't remember that one at all. I thought the first slayer was that prehistoric chick from that surreal dream episode. The watchers as organization already existed in caveman times?

That would have worked except there were female watchers as well...

They captured some girl, tied her up, and forced a demon into her and then controller her and all other Slayers. Why they would chose a girl and not the most fearsome warrior was never explained. That pretty on the nose to me.

>The watchers as organization already existed in caveman times?

That was the implication from what I could tell and I think the lore confirms that.

in 2017
>buffy will be black girl and will have boy name like michael
>xander will be white girl and will have boy name like xander
>willow will be ftm tranny and will have boy name like will
>giles will be flamboyantly campgay drag queen and will have girl name like gigi

read the comics and find out

>reading comics
>in 2017

maggot (You)