ITT: Plots that just exist to make you suffer

>Jerk character notices everything bad they did in the past.
>Jerk character tries to act nice to everyone they hurt to compensate them.
>Others start treating them like shit.
>Jerk character goes back to their mean personality.

>character tells a small lie
>lie gets bigger and bigger
>the truth comes out and bites them in the ass
it's just the same thing everytime I can't deal with it

This image and post speaks for itself.

I'm sure all of you can go figure out the rest.

>you will never put your daughter through lewd obedience training

>Character causes problem.
>Other characters need to convince them to help fix it.

>its a the world will just be a better place without you episode
every fucking time

>character is routinely shit on by the group
>character gets fed up
>character tells group to fuck off
>group stages an intervention
>character goes back to being the punching bag

or

>character with obvious physical flaw (fat, nerd, ugly, etc) tries to hook up with attractive character of the opposite sex
>gets shot down or led on and then crushed
>there's someone out there for everyone speech
>ends up with rule 63 version of them self at the end of the episode

>It's a "some Jackass puts on an obviously fake disguise of another character and everyone believes it without a second thought"

Spoonfeed me on this one please

Pacifica didn't totally regress on character development, the show just didn't give her any good material to work with after her focal point episode.

It's gotten to the point where even if it's done as a joke, it's gotten old

If I had to guess

>Bully character has spent most of series being a bully
>Episode comes out showing serious reasons for character's attitude
>Bully character connects with main character establishing an interesting rapport and possible romantic continuations in the future
>Episode ends with bully character and main character seemingly becoming friends
>Next episode, status quo kicks back in and bully character never shows any indication that the previous episode happened

>Wanted criminal on the run happens to look like main character except for one physical feature (eye color, tattoo, different size nose, etc)
>Everyone, including friends and family, mistake main character as the real criminal

I loved it when Adventure Time did this, then it turned out the disguise was so obvious that everyone thought it was a joke and were playing along with it.

>character A is always bullying character B
>character B has enough and gets back at character A or tells them off
>other characters come in and start accusing character B for bullying character A

Fosters?

>idiot routinely gets in the way and ruins everything around him
>one of the characters gets fed up and tells the idiot to fuck off
>idiot bursts into tears and runs away
>everyone demonizes the other guy for making the idiot cry

>kid is being picked on by a bully
>the parents/teachers/principal don't do shit about it
>kid finally stands up to the bully, only to be humiliated even more
or
>kid overpowers the bully
>the teachers catch the kid overpowering the bully
>the kid gets punished while the bully gets off scot-free

>guy is a doormat to all his friends
>he finally stands up for himself; decides he'd rather do his own thing for once
>everybody calls him selfish or tries to put him down for trying to look out for himself

the one you mentioned.its so frustrating

>MC finds perfect soulmate in one episode
>the last 5 monutes of it they notice the tiniest flaw
>break up with them because of status quo

>MC tells friend a harsh truth
>friend doesnt listen thinking that its just jealousy
>MC has never ever been that kind of person
>friend treats MC like a jerk the whole time
>shit goes down
>friend is easily forgiven

>no one likes character
>everyone treats character like shit
>suddenly character can benefit them in some way
>oh shit hes the best thing ever
>this is paraded as a happy ending
alternatively
>oh shit hes the best thing ever
>cant do whatever the hell anymore
>goes back to being hated, the end

>the "oh shit you saved me now i gotta be enslaved to you but actually make everything worse" episode

>writers running out of ideas
>"aaand then the two friends fall for each other!"

Well, how would she know that the plane couldn't fly?

>Character is being bullied by friends or family
>character decides to leave go it alone
>character does well for themselves. (Good job, nice place to live, better food, makes more money than before, etc)
>despite showing that he/she is better off without them, character is forced to go back to old group (usually for stupid reason like 'they're my family' or 'i care about them')

Yeah I hate real life too sometimes.

Can you give me a situation in a cartoon where the last one of those happened?

>If you get fight back against a bully you're just a bully yourself!

>New suck up comes along and causes trouble
>Wilt, the nicest fucking guy in the house, says that the guy is bulling bullshit after others also told the ones in charge the same thing
>WILT STOP BULLYING THE NEW GUY

that episode was rage inducing

>I'm planning a big surprise for a birthday/anniversary!
>For some reason I'm going to be a jerk and pretend I forgot, even if I have to flat out deny when the person in question is clearly fishing for acknowledgement

I don't know what they were thinking with it. It just feels so off

>new character joins for the episode
>new character is an asshole who does bad things, but ONLY in front of the MC. acts like a sweetheart to every other character
>MC tries to tell everyone what bad things the new character has done, but nobody believes him, as if they believe this total fucking new person more than the MC they've known for quite some time

That's fucked up. Family Guy kind of fucked up.

Seriously how retarded can you get?

First time posting on 4 chan?

>Character works for a company and is very good at their job
>they make one little mistake and now everyone calls them a complete screw up despite all of the good that they've done

God, fosters had so many hateable characters that never got shit on enough, it triggered me as a kid

It was the plot to the second Rio movie.

This thread is bringing back memories I'd repressed. Please stop.

>the "oh shit you saved me now i gotta be enslaved to you but actually make everything worse" episode
>not the "Oh shit you saved me now I'm gonna be your slave then make you feel guilty for all the things I do for you that you never even wanted me to do for you."

OK, I'm gonna guess that the first one is Phantom Menace.
Don't know about the second.

Hey Arnold?

>New character shows up
>Blames established character for everything/established character is suspicious of new guy
>Everyone abandons their friend for new guy

Every fucking time.

The only character with the proper level of hate was Cheese. Coco is cancer.

Aka Bendy

Seriously? If it was just Bloo it'd make sense, maayyybe one of the others, but Wilt? He is pretty much known as the super nice guy of the house and had been there a long time

I never realized how meanspirited that show was because they tried their hardest to make it come across as whimsical and endearing. Kind of a weird inconsistancy to have, tonally speaking.

I hate the moral stories to just be yourself.

The main one is the old Rocko episode where he's tired of being short to where he can't do his job properly and I think crashes his car because he can't see over the seat. Then the "there's no in-between" shit happens where he wishes he was bigger and has a dream he's a fucking giant.

No, he wanted to be like 2 feet higher or something so he could do some shit for once and life wouldn't suck so much.

Why do shows do this? Cut out the middle ground to make things more drastic to prove a point that's only a point if it is in fact that drastic? In this episode's case he was too big to move around the place he was at or something and was crushing everything like being a monster.

God damn I wish that shit would stop, it's differently used in newer shows too.

The story where the guy a character on the show looks up to is an asshole.

To a lesser extent, some marketing famous guy like the face on some bottle of drink who's a dick to sale his product, but everyone thinks he's awesome and radical at the start.

>"I'm tired of not being acknowledged for the great deeds I do and all the help I give!"
>"Alright here's your life as a respected person"
>It's the generic rich looking dude who's sad and lonely at the top and is in front of a fireplace in his chair and robe scenario.

>Character(s) don't trust the new character(s) because they're either shady or being an asshole to them and only them
>No one else believes them
>"Sorry we didn't believe you" at the end

Really? In your 8th fucking season? After everyone has already bonded and known each other for years? Even Eileen says "Why are you being so mean to them?", I don't know, it's almost as if the only reason they'd say that shit is because they were telling the truth. You get sent to fucking space and you trust some robots that break into your dome over your own friends? God damn what the fuck was even the point.

>Show introduces a generic tough cool girl
>becomes love interest of character
>Sticks around despite not being interesting at all
Bonus points for if she doesn't get along with the best friend/messes up the dynamic, but best friend is told to suck it up.

>it's a "if the thing you like starts to make you not focus on your friends as often as you used to, you should drop it because it's probably an addiction or a bad influence" episode
slowly but surely these plots kill me

This is why status quo can be fucking retarded at times.

Status quo works when there's actually a good reason for the status quo, aka the characters' own motivations and flaws force them into the situations they find themselves in. Bad writers misuse this, forcing character personalities to twist into unnatural shapes in order to either A. force new developments in the status quo to temporarily work for an episode, or to B. awkwardly force new developments out of the status quo to resolve an episode's plot.

Let me guess, Wendy?

Let me guess, Gravity Falls?

Teen Titans but I don't remember which ep.

>Bigger treat than the current antagonist appears
>old antagonist teams up with the protagonists to take down the new villain
>Old antagonist start liking to hang out with the good guys
>New villain is taken down.
>Old antagonist tells the others that from now on they will be friends.

>Dumb character tells the old antagonist a secret they have been hiding from them.
>>Old antagonist gets pissed off and decides to stay evil.
Or
>Old antagonist's memory got erased somehow and can't be recovered.

Actually I was thinking of a small webcomic. Ever since the introduction of the girlfriend the two friends haven't appeared together in a few years.

I had that in mind while typing, but it isn't the thing that made me say it.

I just remember a lot of 90s/mid-2000s shows had this focus on a kid's dream coming true or getting into this GREAT NEW VIDEO GAME kind of story.

But yea GF is the stronger example since it's a show I can actually recall and made most of the series not feel any progression from start to end.

>All of this thread

Why do writers pull this shit? Do THEY like this sorth of contrived shit? And it always goes back to squere 1 at the end and pretend it never happened, who likes to see their main caracters suffer for nothing and only get a cheap "yeah... sorry" at the end? And sometimes not even that.

Well I know in the case of King of the Hill, it's because FOX wanted to be able to air the episodes out of order.

As a result some story lines and development were dropped and it had to return to status quo at the end of each episode.

Or

>new character approaching
>he's perfect in every way
>everyone loves him, and he brings out the best in the main cast
>one character gets jealous or divine intervention happens so that character has to fuck off
>episode ends with everyone being miserable again

I can understand the reason but its a thing that can be solved with a 3 or 5 second flashback, 10 seconds tops.

It gets them paid. Unless a creator loves his characters to death and wants to have fun with them, they're usually just things for kids to look at while the story is something plain and simple like "dude school test tomorrow" because everyone gets paid to be simple and also "create" something.

The Spongebob Lost Episode did an ironically good "Just Be Yourself" episode.
>Spongebob gains the ability to fly
>suddenly everyone demands favors from him

>we need a minority
>we need a love interest
>we need parents that embarrass their kid
>we need to dad that doesn't care about his kid
>we need a tall character and a short character
>we need a role model
>we need a relatable story

All he had to do was say no but still enjoy being a floater.

>They have to have a woman character
For the longest time Regular Show was the only show I can think of where the series was just a guys thing, but in the end waifufags got their way and the obnoxious mole girl got to go into space and made the last season twice as worse as it already set itself up to be.

The series has been "Mordecai tries to get a gf but fucks up everytime" for years. It's been dead for a while.

I'm talking about how it was from a guy's view for awhile, I think the only episode that was from a female's perspective was Daddy Issues.

>this is my side of the room this is yours

>obviously fake disguise
>it's actually someone who just looks like that
>bonus points for very tall, with a moustache and trench coat

>they end up making a narrow "fuck zone" in the middle, where they can meet together only for sex

Example

how does that make you suffer?

That episode where Phoebe breaks her leg?

No, I think he means the one when Arnold saves Sid from the chicken advertisement.

honestly creators if they're restrained by having to maintain a status quo and/or negative continuity, then they really shouldn't bother doing any plots that would even vaguely look like they'd disrupt that, as it almost always end poorly

Like everything else in here it's predictable. It sets up everything else before the episode fully starts. The biggest twist would be if they switched sides, or destroyed the whole room arguing. Or some 3rd side comes in. It's all predictable and lets you know the episode isn't worth it.

See Adventure Time. The needless flipflopping and constant snapping back when it seemed things will change is the worst.

That episode of Hey Arnold where Stinky's house burns down so he moves into Harold's room.

2edgy

Wasn't there also one where Arnold tries to help Eugene, but gets him injured instead too?

I watched my first episode of the loud house tonight and it was the one where Lincoln gets noise cancelling earbuds. Pissed me the fuck off because he's punished for trying to get some silence and his sisters are portrayed as being in the right. I mean, the older one was right that shutting out your family is wrong but how the fuck does that translate to "you don't deserve peace and quiet, ever?"

Every South Park episode where Wendy does something stupid and Stan just forgives her like that

On the same token
>If you kill the serial murderer, you're just as bad yourself!

Why does McCraken have to be an asshole.

>>guy is a doormat to all his friends
>>he finally stands up for himself; decides he'd rather do his own thing for once
>>everybody calls him selfish or tries to put him down for trying to look out for himself

That's seriously my life, with my dad.
>throughout my entire life, dad has berated me, made me feel worthless
>literally nothing I did was ever good for him
>finally get all A's for the first time in my life in college, only to be met with "why couldn't this have happened when it mattered back in high school?"
>didn't realize until I was older that it's really abuse
>mom refuses to acknowledge it, even when he's done the same thing to her my entire life

>finally snap and stand up to him
>he just smirks and reminds me I'm an adult and I don't have to stay
>says I can even take the car and he won't even report it
>pack my things, head to the bank to cash out
>find out my bank accounts were set up in this "in care of a minor" thing, giving Dad complete control of my money, and he never changed it over when I turned 18
>because of this I can't actually cash out without his approval
>mom calls me, crying, begging me to come home

>ten years later, he still hasn't done changed my accounts over and I'm now torn down to the point where I don't have the energy to fight outside of bitching about him online where he'll never see it

>he still makes life hell for both of us, wearing us down and trying to make us completely dependent on him
>can't get a job because (I still don't know how he finds this shit out) on the extremely rare chance I score a job interview, he'll contact them and pose as me, telling them I'm no longer interested

I'd probably have killed myself if it wasn't for the fact I don't want to hurt my mom. I think he's hacked my computer or something, there's just no other way he could've accessed the account I use for interviews.

Compared to some other Foster's episodes it wasn't TOO enraging. He actually was telling the truth and apologized to Frankie as well as saying she does a good job. I know its not much but hey

Are you female?

What if I am, and what if I'm not?

>It's a "character forcefully kisses other character in front of their love interest who instantly believes they're cheating" episode
Hate this.

I don't often advocate fratricide, but...

in Adventure Time's case it's more the writers being incompetent rather than any demands from the network like for most of the other examples listed in this thread

I think you'd be justified in this scenario with murdering him

Fucking Phineas and Ferb

If you are it's just another number of women who cry on Sup Forums about their personal life. Not to mention how you worded most of your post is very reminiscent of a woman.

>when just one character on a show with a core cast of problem-solving characters is seriously just a useless piece of shit
>honestly just the fucking worst ever
>the scenes they're in are always completely unbearable
>usually involves them being a scared and/or backstabbing piece of shit
>and always involves them ruining the entire situation somehow
>you can tell an episode is going to be 22 minutes of infuriating bullshit the MOMENT this character is revealed to be part of the plot
>even the other fucking characters in the show all hate this character

>yet for some reason
>almost every single official piece of material says this character is something like "the emotional support of the group"
>bullshit like "they may not be very tough, but they're clever and know how to hide"
>the very idea that somehow you can't possibly be a pussy and NOT frequently sell out your friends at the first sign of trouble
>even though they frequently make decisions that could get them and all of their friends in danger

Would you believe a jerk that's been treating you like shit your whole life would change that drastically overnight?

Would you shit on someone for trying to make amends?

>talks shit to your face everytime they see you
>makes fun of your head countless times
>steals your stuff and hits you
>this shit has been going on since kindergarten
Yes.

Most characters in cartoons are also children. 9-year-old kids don't fucking forgive.