Thoughts on 52?

I want to get the TPB's

Other urls found in this thread:

comicsalliance.com/mark-waid-slams-dan-didio-and-dc-comics/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Positively Awesome.

52/10

it's good.

Very well scripted (in opposite to Countdown they had a goal instead of just playing around until the next event started), fun & crazy. Best "event" in years.

it's great + it made great stories out of the shit that was identity crisis

It's pretty great

Legitimately one of the greatest comics I've ever read.

If you had to pick the weakest story from this which would it be

This

Adam Strange and his group getting home.

There's nothing wrong with it, the other plots just grabbed me far more.

I dont agree thats the weakest, i say the whole Cassie and the rez cult is though i guess you can count that as an offshoot of Ralph's line but the space shit spawned the worst recurring line where they just do that plot two more times before folding into REBELS

Garbo.

Do the TPB's have the commentary? That shit is gold

It's one of those freak lightning in a bottle incidents. It's the best weekly DC ever made and I'm sad that they've never managed to replicate it.

Editors hated the fucking thing though because it was a clusterfuck to them with last minute hand ins. Countdown was 52 done right.

I loved almost everything except the Booster Gold stuff. All the time travel and the finale - eh, I just don't care. But Renee, and the Elongated Man, and Starfire and the Dudes - they were incredibly well done.

I wish they just kept Booster Gold as a schemer like in the beginning. There's something unique about a superhero like that.

One of my all time favorite comics.
The original trades do, although I don't think the reprints kept them.

Solid series with great writing and consistent art

READ IT NIGGA

The last great thing DC did.

It's fantastic. Black Adam was one of my favorites in this.

My favorite part was the mad scientists island.

>Countdown was 52 done right.
Only from the Editors point of view. For pretty much everyone else, it was garbage.

They were really awesome and even if a lot of it seemed so random, it played a nice role in the end.

I like it.

Didio, don't you have something better to do than shitposting on Sup Forums?

Isn't 52 next to Countdown?
Was it good?

Get off of Sup Forums, Didio.

Countdown was uniquely bad

>Countdown arena was uniquely bad
fixed

Having to read infinite crisis to get some backstory on this.

I just bought it

It looks good

It is good.

Do yourself a favor and try and find the torrent of the 4 vol version (its out there) cuz you can read the weekly commentary along with each issue.

the fact they didnt just include those instead of the backup sketches and other shit in the collections is a ballbuster

52 is god tier

Didn't Mark Waid later reveal they went off from the original goal and Didio flipped his shit behind the writers' backs about it?

Nah, Countdown made me cringe each week. Countdown Arena, OTOH, was so brain addled, I could actually laugh about it.

Don't know about an original goal, but Didio hated what they were doing anyways:
>>comicsalliance.com/mark-waid-slams-dan-didio-and-dc-comics/

Yes, 52 was supposed to be about what happened during One Year Later after all the comics skipped forward a year. It was supposed to explain how Green Arrow became mayor, Why Jonn had a different costume, what happened to Batgirl to explain her now being evil, and various other Status Quo changes.

You can see them trying to do so at the beginning but by the end they sort of shoe-horn it in during World War III.

Countdown was 52 done right because it was how Didio and the editors conceived 52. So Catwoman has a baby One Year Later, imagine in the weekly you can see the baby being conceived. So Jason and Dick fight over the Nightwing mantle OYL, imagine seeing how Jason actually put on the mantle in the weekly and why Dick stopped being Nightwing. 52 was supposed to prop up and advertise the monthlies, while the monthlies also advertised and propped up the weeklies.

The problem is, as Countdown showed us, syncing monthlies and weeklies together is extremely difficult. Imagine having to stop your storyline to shoe-horn the latest event (Flash died) while not being able to actually affect the story or be important in any way. The people reading the monthlies didn't want to pay for some weekly event that didn't have anything important to add, and the weekly readers resented having their stories hijacked by the event of the month.

Also, Waid, Morrisson, Rucka and Johns are A tier talent, they write great comic books. The writers of Countdown were all newbies (so Didio could control them).

I loved when Black Adam was rampaging in their islands the scientists decided to fight back instead of being scared shitless with MAD SCIENCE.

That was fucking awesome. Especially since Adam at the time was considered at least superman tier strong.

Thought they did in the TPBs, while the recent rereleases had some post issue commentary (but not all) and the Omni had none.