Hey Sup Forums. Thinking of reading Civil War II, but i've heard mixed reviews on the story line...

Hey Sup Forums. Thinking of reading Civil War II, but i've heard mixed reviews on the story line. I have a few questions...

1. Is the story over?
2. Is it worth reading?

>1. Is the story over?
Yes

>2. Is it worth reading?
Fuck no.

1-It's over
2-It's SHIT. Stay away

Mixed? Mixed?! MIXED?!?!?
Are you fucking shitting me
Yes, that shitshow is over, and no, you should absolutely not read it. If Bendis' name on the cover didn't clue you in, I don't know what to tell you.

>1. Is the story over?
Yes.
>2. Is it worth reading?
NOOOOOO

It's a hot garbage fire, sure to be reposed as story times of pain. The only slightly redeemable thing is the art at certain points, and I only recommend looking at that if you can somehow get the pictures without the words attached.

Noted and filed. Do not read :)

>Thinking of reading Civil War II
Don't

>Mixed
Yeah, bullshit. The event was fucking terrible

Can someone give me an idea of the story, alongside what made it so awful?

Its a story trying to make you think its a conflict of ideologies ripped straight from Minority Report when in reality its about 2 drunks fighting and dragged everyone else into it followed by shameless advertising of the next 5 upcoming events

Loved this post.

I got the impression that it was the comic side of the argument trying to make some cash from the film release of Captain America: Civil War

Somebody summed up the plot as "Two drunks drag their friends into a fight."
Neither Tony nor Carol come off as sympathetic or make you want to side with them
Doesn't even feel like a Civil War.
Derailed books, some of which pointed out how stupid the whole thing is.
Blatant cash-grab based on the movie.
"Damn you Dr. Strange!"

And that's only the tip of the iceberg

>about 2 drunks fighting and dragged everyone else into it
Actually, Tony Stark was the only one that wanted to fight, he instigated everything and dragged a bunch of teenagers into it too. Carol seemed much more composed by comparison, which is saying a lot about how crazy Tony was.

>Doesn't even feel like a Civil War.
Yeah, there was only one real huge battle that started for no real reason and then ended for no real reason. After that Tony goes out on his own and fights Carol one-on-one.

They also wanted to base the war on current events, so they chose BLM.

And they couldn't even stay on message with that. The book ends before anyone can learn a lesson or draw a meaningful parallel to the movement

>so they chose BLM.
And they failed miserably because Ulysses' powers have nothing to do with racial profiling.

Hey remember when Carol abducted a random citizen because she thought she was a HYDRA agent, had ZERO proof, and accidentally made her a potential threat/headache in another book because of her actions?

New character (Inhuman, because of the Inhuman push) can see the future. He predicts bad things will happen and Carol decides to stop future crimes before they happen. Tony disagrees, because he's a futurist and he.. respects the future?

Carol gets War Machine killed. Then she doubles down and becomes a dictator. Tony pretends he cares about the future stuff, he's just angry about Rhodey.

The "Civil War" is one small fight with people who have no reason to be there (the GotG care about this why?), then there's something about Miles Morales killing HydraCap in the future, Tony and Carol fight over him, Carol puts Tony in a coma. Future shows a promo for 6 upcoming events, then ascends and disappears to hopefully never be seen again.

That's it. That's all of it.

do these writers not know that "conspiracy" is a class of punishable crimes?

In January last year, someone on NeoGaf leaked info about the first issue:

>You guys have absolutely no reason to believe me, but I’ve read the script for the first issue of this. Here’s what happens (hint, it’s pretty bad)!

>The guy who can see everything in the future? He’s an Inhuman named Homer. I shit you not. No code name, no Inhuman moniker, just Homer.

>Homer helps the heroes beat some big bad and Captain Marvel takes the opportunity to start using Homer to solve future crimes.

>OFF PANEL, both War Machine and She Hulk die fighting Thanos as Carol learned he was landing on Earth to try to get the Cosmic Cube again thanks to Homer.

>Tony swears revenge on Carol for getting Rhodey killed, while Jennifer lies dying on a table, her last words urging Danvers to keep using Homer to look into the future, even though she’s, you know, dying.

Some people believed it because it sounded like the kind of setup that Bendis would write, and other people were in disbelief that it would happen. But since the spoilers were released in January, there was enough time to make changes (for example, Homer's name was changed to Ulysses).

Sure enough the leaker was proven correct once the FCBD issue was released (which actually showed the Thanos fight) and the first issue was released (which matched up with what the leaker was saying).

And don't believe anyone saying that She-Hulk wasn't intended to die in this. She barely got a mention or any further appearances after two pages designed to set up the new Hulk series. In other words Bendis planned to kill She-Hulk off with a missile to the chest but changed it to coma after the reaction. (eventually Kelly Thompson had to damage control it by showing it was Thanos who put She-Hulk into a coma instead)

This was early on in the event so that gives you an idea of how bad things got, and got worse.

For that matter, the "war" happened by the fifth issue.

I feel like the "profiling" argument was made before they decided what Ulysses powers were, but at least two of the books that made that arguement were by Bendis, so that defense falls flat..

The fucked up thing is that Ulysses cant even predict the future, just a mathematical estimated guess at best. And for some reason this gives him the status to ascend and join the cosmic deities super special club with Eternity and his friends. He literally fucked off into space Poochie style

Like I said, the fact that Carol still comes off as more reasonable and less irrationally violent says a lot about how horrible Tony was.
For fucks sake, he was angry at Carol because she dared use Ulysses' intel to stop Thanos (which as shown in USAvengers, means that she prevented Thanos from getting multiple Cosmic Cubes and killing almost every superhero on Earth), even though this had nothing to do with any of his prior criticisms about Ulysses.

>Reading Modern Bendis

The last thing he wrote which I enjoyed was the final issue of his Avengers run

most of the events you just described take place in issues 1 and 8.

what happened in the middle 6?

NOTHING OF CONSEQUENCE

Ulysses has a vision about the Hulk killing everyone, even though Banner was cured at the time. Hawkeye kills him and gets acquitted and this ends up not having any consequence on anything whatsoever other than Tony claiming it's all Carol's fault.

they can barely wrap their head around the notion that assault is a crime

did they like change his abilities half way through or something?

because in the beginning it seemed like the former, mathematical estimation shit.

towards the end, it seemed like "this is the future, theres no avoiding it" kinda thing (which sets up his cosmic bs)

CWII falls under the 'I read the whole thing for free thanks to Sup Forums's Storytimes and I still feel like I want my money back' category

>One superhero working for the government arrested me and yelled at me
>Another superhero freed me, and then half the hero community came to fight the chick that arrested me because they thought she had gone too far
>I HATE ALL SUPERHEROES
>I'm going to hire a super-villain assassin to kidnap people to try and recruit them to my cause
To be fair, how could Carol possibly expect anyone to be this stupid?

Everything about that setup was fucking retarded
>"Lets try not to escalate things"
>Proceed to bring every single hero to Bruce's location pretty much guaranteeing an episode
>Everyone finishes each others sentences like theyre some weird hivemind
>"Bruce is experimenting on himself doing *blank*!"
>Peter and another hero (forget who) act shocked pretending to know what the fuck that even means
>EVERYONE COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT CHO HULK AND THE POSSIBILITY THAT IT MAY HAVE BEEN HIM IN THE VISION

I'm pretty sure they can tell Banner and Cho apart by looking at their faces user.

It's not really the next 6 events is it? I wouldn't put it past them

Marvel done goofd

To be fair, the Stop Thanos Plan was a total shitshow. You know exactly where someone is going to be in three hours, you have access to a person whose sole powerset is opening up portals to other places, not one but TWO super science geniuses in T'Challa and Blue Marvel, and the plan is "have everyone punch him a lot?" How is it not "teleport Thanos into a prison cell" or another universe or the fucking SUN. Throughout the book, Carol reacts to the visions without thinking about them, which gets people that are supposed to be her friends killed. But she keeps going anyway because "If I give up they'll have died for nothing!" She's so gung-ho about punching out the next predicted threat that she doesn't do anything to even try and limit the collateral damage.

And if Tony had mentioned any of that instead of his "I respect the future!" bullshit, it might have been a half way interesting conflict instead of bloated event fodder.

>TA Hulk's tie-in had Tony meet up with Bruce
>This does not come up at all in the actual event.

It's great because Banner had finally gotten completely rid of Hulk, had done everything in his power to confirm it, etc.

Then he dies and somehow his corpse hulks out when revived by the Hand.

They got a glimpse of A Hulk in a flash and just assumed it was Banner

I genuinely want to know, but I'm not picking up this book

It wasn't a glimpse, they all experienced it like they were really there.

Just chalk it up to him "evolving" his powers

At least two of them were events we know are happening (Monsters Unleashed and the Hydracap event)

At least 3 of them are upcoming events (IvX, Monsters Unleashed and Hydra war), one is something we don't know about (Thor Odinson with Mjolnir fighting Loki with All-Black the Necro Sword) and then a bunch of wasted pages showing alternate futures from old stories we already know will never happen (Age of Ultron, Days of Future Past, Killraven/War of the Worlds and Old Man Logan).

So the 6 events thing wasn't just hyperbole. Marvel have become the ultimate parody of themselves

Only two are (Hydra Cap/Secret Empire and Monsters Unleashed. I think one was possibly IvX and the rest were prior events, one of which Bendis has been pushing a lot before (the Killraven one; he and Brubaker kept trying to push that alt future five years ago, which might be great since it would bring the MacGregor stuff back in print)

Shit, I forgot about the Thor one.

There is nothing mixed about this shit. It pushed Ulysses to the forefront despite their being countless telepaths, time travelers, and clairvoyants who could either confirm or deny his prophecies.

Most of the marvel heroes should't have even showed up for these big battles because none of them really gave a damn about these prophecies.

Honestly, the worst thing about this event is that it ruined Ms. Marvel. Kamala had a great thing going, but now thanks to this event, she lost her role model and her place as a small-time underdog hero you could root for.

-Inhumans v X-Men
-Monsters Unleashed
-Hydra/Captain America story
-that Killraven/Cap/Iron Man story that Bendis/Brubaker/Fraction were setting up in their respective Avengers/Cap/IM runs
-Sentinels attacking the Marvel heroes (with classic Wolverine back?)
-Ultron doing shit
-and Thor back as Thor vs Loki (weilding the Godbutcher's weapons?)

Besides the hair and the attitude, can you really tell the 2 apart? Like if Cho just went nuts do you really think people could tell or even care?

yes.

Cho Hulk has bracers and special pants.

It was 7, not 6. My bad.

Some are confirmed (Monsters Unleashed, IvX), others are previews of future storylines (like Loki with Gorr's powers fighting Man-Thor, Miles Morales killing HydraCap, again).

Others I don't know if they're supposed to be anything announced. Inhumans fighting War of the Worlds martians, Ultron kills the avengers, and a Sentinel with a lot of dead people (some impaled, and what appears to b wolverine?) and Miles Morales looking sad.

Chinese eyes

>Inb4 Sup Forums

Cho is Asian, even when he's green you can tell by his eyes

He's not Chinese.

Fair enough

also by the tiny bulge in his stretchy pants

Let's not forget that at the end of it all 616 Shadow President congragulates Carol on a job well done and gives her a promotion.

I know that, it was a joke

>Miles Morales killing HydraCap, again

I'm actually quite surprised they restrained themselves and didn't reuse that one double-page spread again. Anybody have that picture where they showed three comics had it?

Yup, this is a very accurate representation of how it ended. Except for the "died on the way to his home planet" part, you just know Bendis will use him again.

the sentinel one was just days of the future past

I don't know if he will, I can't remember if he ever used Layla Miller after House of M. And he has to know the reception toward this series was pretty awful so unless they're putting Ulysses on the Inhumans show he might just stick to something else.

hes going to be in the new Ultimates book.
Ewing already confirmed.

with Miles Morales?

I mean, if the idea is to prove for once and for all that Ulysses visions are butt, that's a way to do it. It'd work better if it wasn't at the same time he ascends to be one of the big shots of the universe

Thank fuck PAD took her and never let her go.

The only good thing of note in this event was the tease of real Thor will be back as Thor fighting Necro-Sword Loki. That's how bad this was.

>Ewing already confirmed.
Source?

Yeah, because Miles is the one seeing the vision. A lot of people were confused because they didn't realize that a character is seeing the vision and not really participating in the event. Like Medusa was seeing the Killraven future, she wasn't in it.

Ok, that makes more sense.

Okay, here's my list on why this event was so awful.

1) Only 4 months of planning compared to years in advance. I don't get why Marvel boasted about this.
2) Bendis is in charge.
3) There is no consistent flow. For example, 0 issue shows this demon Inhuman girl, but she has nothing to do in the plot. She-Hulk being comatose then getting angry adds to...nothing. The deaths don't have any real impact.
4) War Machine and Hulk were just killed with no real reason than...editorial wanting them dead. That's the long and short of it. It didn't even feel like shock value deaths because they weren't even a part of the story. Bruce Banner's entire appearance doesn't even last a full issue.
5) What was with the release schedule for this book? FCBD shows how Rhodey and She-Hulk bit it, then we got issue 0 that develops Rhodey and She-Hulk? And then it glosses over what happens to them when we catch up? Awful storytelling!
6) Iron Man being against stopping Thanos and the Celestial makes no sense because the opposite is just letting thousands die? I mean, if the GOTG came down and said Thanos was coming, they would have prepared all the same.
7) There is a middle ground! An obvious middle ground! If a disaster is coming up, take steps to stop it. Better to be prepared than not at all! If it's a suspect, give them a warning, observe, then arrest if they seem like they will commit the crime!
8) What was Tony Stark's goal? He starts a fight outside the Traskileon and cause a lot of damage, but the fight didn't mean anything. Is he trying to kill Ulysses? Again, he was just anti-Carol yet never said what his goals were!
9) The fights had no meaning! What was Tony fighting for at the Taskileon and Washington D.C.?
10) OH MAN, CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT MILES MORALES IS GOING TO KILL CAPTAIN AMERICA?! We'll show you that two page spread 3 more times in the main event book!

Hold on, I got more

You pretty much nailed everything bad about the main book. The tie-ins either made things worse, tried doing damage control or were only tangentially related to the event.

>A lot of people were confused because they didn't realize that a character is seeing the vision and not really participating in the event
>tfw Bendis is to smart for most people

11) This event barely felt like a Civil War because there was no real focus on the group of heroes. It was mainly Tony and Carol being assholes to each other. There was only one fight involving two armies clashing, and we had no reason to get invested because we don't know what they are fighting for.
12) Bendis trying to make Miles the center of attention when nobody, NOBODY believes he would or even can kill Captain America.
13) There were not many heroes at all in this event. The first Civil War at least tried to go beyond the normal staple and bring in so many characters, where this Civil War just felt so small in comparison.
14) This event didn't even feel like an event. It just felt like a string of things happening. You could say that about the first CW, but it felt like a boiling point was happening through the course of the book and there was a global thing going on, while this just felt like a shitting match.
15) The last issue was stretched out to show previews of future events. Not only that, but 3 we knew about, 3 won't happen, and only one we didn't know about.
16) Ulysses becoming one with Eternity?! The whole event was POINTLESS if the thing they were fighting over just leaves the planet/dimension!
17) Why wasn't Eternity in chains?
18) Old Man Logan reference to let us know that Bendis is going to watch that film.
19) Why were Logan, Vision and the O5 X-Men on Tony's side when they are actively trying to change the future?
20) This event came a month after the Civil War film, making the hype for it dead on arrival.

The only good thing I can say about this book is that it does look nice, but I'd rather have this artist team up with a writer who actually gets action going. Say what you will about Mark Millar, but at least he throws in more fight scenes in a single issue than Bendis does in 4.

it's bad

don't bother

He seems tailor made for Ultimates2, seeing as he's a cosmic being now.

He could also show up in Royals, where the Inhumans go to space.

>We'll show you that two page spread 3 more times in the main event book!

I think it was twice in the main book, once in the Spider-Man tie-in issue.

think it was recreated in the Steve Rogers issue as well.

not just copy/pasted, but actually redrawn

>She-Hulk being comatose then getting angry adds to...nothing.

Pretty much what was brought up in She-Hulk was supposed to be killed off. Then when it leaked, people got upset, then they quickly changed it. It wasn't like the thing with Hydra Cap where dumb people legit thought they changed things in the second issue of Cap because of the outcry. There was enough time between January and whenever the second issue of Civil War II was out to change things.

Imagine if she did get killed off, and you took out the pages where Carol talks to Jen and Jen gets angry, there would be absolutely no fucking change to the book.

>War Machine and Hulk were just killed with no real reason than...editorial wanting them dead.

Supposedly War Machine's death probably came about because Bendis assumed War Machine was gonna die in the trailer. (Also remember that by this point, there were rumors that Marvel Studios was filming multiple death scenes so it wouldn't get leaked, and Marvel Studios wasn't really communicating with Ike and the creative Committee, which included Bendis)

You missed:

>Doc Sampson getting uncerimoniusly revived for no reason in the first issue; further robbing any investment the reader might have had for any of the deaths in the event.

>Tried and fails to make an argument for BLM

>Save for Ulysses pulling a Poochie, every twist in the book was predicted months prior between our bingo card, covers, variants, solicits, Marvel Now books, leaks, and ownership of a brain.

> The book followed an exhaustive pattern of having someone die, making Tony and Carol scream at each other, then having Ulysses have a vision so the scene can end.

>Relied too hard on tie-ins to explain and detail character development and thought processes, further emptying the story of anything meaningful. I
The fact that most of the tie-ins pointed out how dumb the premise was didn't help either.

>Sure enough the leaker was proven correct once the FCBD issue was released
Even before that. The covers of issue 0 and all that had Iron Man, Carol, War Machine and She-Hulk on them, and there was one cover of Thanos.

Bendis is that casual.

God, those Spider-Man issues were even worse! One issue of "Where's Miles?" then another issue of Miles summing up what happens in the last issue of CWII. Why to rip people off Bendis.

Literally what I was going to post. Exact words even. Stay away from this story OP. In fact, stay away from everything that has YAAS QUEEN SLAY!!! in it for a while. She has become toxic to entertainment.

>Imagine if she did get killed off, and you took out the pages where Carol talks to Jen and Jen gets angry, there would be absolutely no fucking change to the book.
You just reminded me that Jen says "It's not his future" line, and we never get a followup. God Bendis, do you have to murder ever character you don't care about?

If they show a major character die in the trailer, then they probably don't die! That's usually a rule in Hollywood unless that character death is the part of the plot the movie hinges on.

I thought of the BLM one after the 2nd post, but decided not to.

And even so, the BLM analogy doesn't work in some of the tie ins like Kamala Khan stopping that guy in the tank. HE STOLE A FUCKING TANK!

Yeah, and the sister-in-law has the gall to comapre it to stop and frisk.

Watch Minority Report instead. Same premise, more entertaining.

So an Inhuman gets the power to see in to the future. Captain YAAS QUEEN thinks it would be a great idea to use him to see into the future and stop crimes before they happen. There are two problems with this, however. The first is that they never take the time to truly test this kid's powers and see just how accurate he is. There are times that we the audience see that he is completely and 100% wrong, which is bad writing because you just completely crippled our wanting to side with YAAS QUEEN. How can we if the entire basis of her argument is wrong? I mean, she doesn't know that, but we do.

The second terrible thing is that Captain YAAS QUEEN does everything in the completely wrong way, even when she's right. For example, the kid has a vision of the Hulk killing all the superheroes. She should try to stop this from happening, naturally. So what does she do? She gathers all the superheroes around Bruce Banner, who at the time is cured of being the Hulk, and accuses him of potentially murdering them in the future. Now let us ignore the fact that you just accused the man whose powers are triggered by anger and extreme emotional duress of being the murderer of his closest friends and focus on the fact that she brought all of his future victims right to his doorstep. Did she not once think that some of these prophecies are self fulfilling? Sure, she had a glimpse of the future, but she never once stopped to think of how that future came to be. Hell, there were times when she was told she would be fighting some of her closest friends and she never once thought, "Gee, maybe I did something wrong to make them fight me."

And Tony doesn't come off as much better. He's against YAAS QUEEN because. Not for any real reason. Just because. Rhodey died due to stopping a prophecy and now he's pissed. That's it. There really is no reason not to use the kid, so long as you aren't stupid about it. But everyone is.

The story's over. It's literally shit. It makes Civil War 1 look like Kingdom Come. Characters are wildly inconsistent in terms of relationships, temperament, and motivation and the dialogue is really weird and in-direct. I think it's called "Bendis-speak". Well, whatever it is, I hate it.

And the wrap up to the event is basically an advertisement to a whole bunch of other Marvel events, spoiling the comeback of a bunch of older Marvel characters.

>Blaming Carol instead of Bendis, the dumbass writer who doesn't know how to write a story to save his life
Honestly I feel worse about how he handled Tony in the event. Granted Carol got the traditional "we need somebody to be the bad guy cause reasons" character derailment that usually comes from terrible hero vs hero events, but at least she had other writers doing damage control for her in other books. Tony seemed to be exclusively written by Bendis this event and his characterisation is so our of character it's painful to read. When you have the man who builds robot suits and sometimes actual time machines going off about "Not messing with the natural order" you know something has gone wrong.

The big difference here is that Carol is being pushed as being right. That is insufferable. She wasn't right. Nobody was right in this stupid thing. It was a gigantic clusterfuck and nobody will ever admit it. So we get a last page of Carol smugly getting offered whatever she wants by Shadow President as her retardation is rewarded and shall be rewarded for the next few years as I die a little more inside each day remembering how I used to be a fan of Marvel comics and cartoons

Layla Miller should have been The Other.

But Bendis had to create an ass-pulled OC character who exists as a pure plot device.

Ulysses, Ulysses
Soaring through all the plot contrivances
In search of NERF
Flying into the night
Ulysses, lots of other people can do the things you do
Ulysses, always making illogical plot devices, bringing confusion and stupidity to all