Rock & Rule Thread

This thread's fucking special, if you wondered about this film or wanted to discuss it this the fucking place and I'm the reason why, so get the fuck in here.

Starting with a storytime, this is Issue 25 of the Marvel Super Special, back in the day they used to do Movie adaptations, so we got Blade Runner, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal and yours truly

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!nUVCjY4K!j_xiBq2bSicootuCq-Hvv14HGKsQAUrxzOuNteSGU5k
youtube.com/watch?v=p4OJl6gujCw
youtube.com/watch?v=Q62RjHfX5yM
youtube.com/watch?v=O37op2fVAPI
imgur.com/a/sP9gB
mega.nz/#!DEkFxDIY!z8zN7BW-F--KcY-duWZEj3_Ou8yUrnYwUWABvstgD0A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

And now we can finally begin.

As I progress through the comic I'll make some notes, aka, since it's well known by now that this film has 2 different versions, I'll begin by pointing some differences out.

Begining with the title crawl, instead of ''Another Time, Another Place'' as it was in the original crawl, they included an entirely different card before the crawl where they explicitly tell ''the war was over and now the inhabitants are mutant dogs and rats'', Because MGM hated the movie and ordered to change it.

Because a fire destroyed all prints they had stored for the film, the Blu-Ray was sourced from a half-faded 35mm print of the US Release, aka while some parts may look good, the movie suffers from altered color pallette in spots as well as being too dark in general.

Mok in his limo driving through Ohmtown is much clearer in the Canadian VHS version of the film than in the Blu-Ray.

In the fifth panel you see Omar and Angel, this scene and another were re-animated for the US cut because they thought because MGM didn't like the VA for Omar (Greg Salata), he had to go through an overhaul to try and make him likeable

Most changes in the movie were made around Omar, most notably his voice which was replaced by Paul Le Mat, in Panel 5, instead of sneering at Angel as seen in the Canadian Cut, Omar just stares at her with a zoned-out smile in the US Version.

The first song in the film, Born to Raise Hell by Cheap Trick, suffered during the re-mix process, which is about as mysterious as it gets, because the US cut's soundmix is very messy and loud compared to the cleaner and better mixed soundmix from the Canadian Cut

In the case of this song, the backup vocals are so low you can barely hear them, while the drums, guitars and lead vocals are all at the same volume and sound like a goddamn mess.

Another big change between versions is Omar's reaction to Mylar wanting them to give ''One good reason why I should let you guys finish'', Omar's response in the Canadian version is an overt threat while growling in frustration, while in the US version they tried something snarky with him (How about this? *threatens with guitar*)

Angel confronting Omar was also has some big changes between versions, the first being that they re-animated a simple shot of Angel getting up and asking ''So why'd you walk?'' into Angel getting up and saying that same line but in a much sassier and passive agressive attitude.

Omar then replies in the canadian version ''Sometimes I walk, sometimes I talk, I'm talking now'', which is a shot that was completely removed in the US version, so what happens is that Omar is much weaker to Angel's pressure as well as them both not featuring that mutual knowledge of each other as the Canadian Version hints.

There is also a previous scene with Omar, Dizzy and Stretch in the car, both versions share completely different dialog exchanges, with the US version shoving some hamfisted self-awareness in Omar in an attempt to make him likeable

>See you guys later...
was changed to
>You guys were great tonight, see you around.

Even though both scenes have the same shot of him kicking the can over.

John K. wrote on his blog about Rock & Rule, and other from completely despising the movie and how Canadians designed characters, he was explict in his praise for Robin Budd's work on Mok, with special attention headed towards his lips.

And you can't deny that those are some of the most detailed lips in animation, Robin Budd certainly has a thing for lips, given that his animation for The Devil in Nelvana's short The Devil and Daniel Mouse, as well as Han Solo in the animated segment from the Star Wars Holiday Special share similar animation on the lips, with Jay from RedLetterMedia describing Han Solo's face as ''a bunch of flesh precauriously hanging off from his head''

And as I forgot to mention, one of the more noted changes in both cuts is when Toad asks Omar to apologize and he replies in the Canadian Version

>I'm sorry....dicknose!
And in the US cut he says
>I'm sorry....dogbreath!

Keep in mind that I'm just using the comic as an example of where the changes in the movie are, the comic follows the movie dialog very loosely, yes it uses art from the film, but the dialog is obviously compressed, as it was common back in the day.

Oh, this is an awesome movie. Haven't seen it in a while. Anyone have a good torrent of it?

Was saving it for the end of the storytime, but you can have this

Long story short: This is my restoration of the original Canadian Cut, originally this could only be seen in a VHSrip, but now I've synched it with the Blu-Ray but you might get some cuts to low-quality VHS footage here and there a lá The Thief and the Cobbler Reccobled Cut

thanks bb

For comparison sake this is the Canadian Version as it were (skip to 1:07:02 if you wanna compare)

youtube.com/watch?v=p4OJl6gujCw

This is the US Version (skip to 1:06:15)

youtube.com/watch?v=Q62RjHfX5yM

And this is the restoration.

youtube.com/watch?v=O37op2fVAPI

does anyone know how to get the soundtrack?

Sadly this film never got a Soundtrack release, while some of the songs got released, sadly none of the songs by Lou Reed and Debbie Harry have gotten an official release, some others like Iggy Pop's song have gotten an official release but with a completely different mix, and to add to the confusion, the Canadian version of the film often has entirely different mixes for the songs compared to the US version, most noted the Send Love Through Finale.

But a friend of mine did cobble together an unofficial soundtrack of sorts, so it's the closest thing, unfortunately the torrent's down But I can set it up real quick

is this FILM worth watching?

and I forgot the image

Setting up the MEGA link for the soundtrack now, the folder also happened to include other stuff like the raw tapes, interviews, the comic I'm posting and random images

Don't want to interrupt the storytime so I uploaded the quote image somewhere else.

imgur.com/a/sP9gB

pity, thanks anyway man

Setting up a simpler upload, there's too much shit and I ain't got enough time to wait for it all to upload.

If you like 70's Rock & Roll, uncanny designs but great animation I definately recomend it.

I posted the Mega link for the Restoration of the Canadian cut before, but I'll post it again now

Ah yes, the famous demon of which its special effects was combining cow brains with animation (this is true) from the end of the movie, slighly teased (?) during all its promotional material, with the filmmakers intending it as a way to get people curious (?)

I'm going to have this song in my head the rest of the night. And I'm okay with that.
Thank you OP

Thanks for this thread, OP! Rock & Rule isn't the best film ever, but it kind of lingers in your mind long after you've seen it. It's such a shame we'll never have truly high quality versions of the movie and the soundtrack.

And now for the best part

It truly is a shame that the chances of a good print of the original version of the film turning up is slim, but I did restore the original version using the Blu-Ray, the Canadian version (sadly only in a VHS rip) and the Workprint intro/ending, which actually has better quality than the final Blu-Ray release

these old Marvel Super Specials mostly had behind the scenes photos, concept art and left it at that, this one they went all out and made a fucking great article about the making of the film.

>Be nice... Or be Dog food.

So... Regular food, for you dog people?

They refer to themselves as ''humans'' in the movie, which makes in the inclusion of the ''the war was over'' title card more confusing, because looking at it objectively they are just regular people with dog noses

Fun fact, for the Uncle Mikey sequence, the animator just did the opposite of what he learned in animation class.

sauce? sounds hilarious

''I told Tom Sito he couldn't make an animated character using cow brains and he actually did it, the absolute madman''

>main cast are all modeled after specific people
I like this

And that's it for Rock & Rule!

Download link for the fan-restored Soundtrack
mega.nz/#!DEkFxDIY!z8zN7BW-F--KcY-duWZEj3_Ou8yUrnYwUWABvstgD0A

And once again, download link for the film itself, in its original Canadian Version, restored.

Thanks for the storytime!

Thanks OP.

Nice! Thanks

thanks op
i wish we talked about this movie more

Oh fuck yeah

wait this was a comic?

no.....they just took stills from the movie.....

would be rather stupid to actually draw new panels and such when the film is already drawn.

They ain't the japanese, that's for sure. IMO this film sounds very appealing for the Japanese

Underrated waifu.

She's definately a keeper

I've been watching this film for ages and I'm still impressed by how well divided it is between the 3 main characters.

Attention !
Attention !

Cliche , MOK...

Have to hand it to Nelvana. They never achieved Disney, Pixar, DreamWorks, or Studio Ghibli levels of fame, but they pushed raw creativity and reveled in unrestrained id.

lot of wasted potential, that's for sure, one of the few studios that didn't think bouncy-rubbery pear-shaped cartoon characters = good, people irk at their artstyle yet it's probably something that everyone could've gotten used to and even admire.

I blame MGM for this

Been a while since I've watched RnR, bit weird seeing it represented as a comic.

She was the first female character where I realized they could animate boobies.

Agreed. But I grew up watching old school anime and adult French animated films. Fantastic Planet, Time Masters, and various old school anime opened me up to accepting wide varieties of animation. Even animation styles many consider ugly.

I bought the DVD of this when our Blockbuster closed. My kid and I watched it and then the all the special feature about the creation of the thing. It's like a tutorial of that time right before CGI took over. All the techniques they used were top notch funky DIY excellence. Apparently, one of the animators died during the production which delayed it. I too wished Nelvana had become another Pixar.

Lol, imagine being six years old and seeing an animated woman taking a shower after being kidnapped by monsters. Yes, you saw her tits and pussy. Vampire Hunter D left an impression on me that I never forgot.

I really wonder what movies people have been watching all their lives to think films like Wizards or Rock & Rule are ''intense'' creepy acid trips, it's like they were raised watching Dora the explorer or some shit, gets annoying.

I wish I had the DVD or blu-ray of this, apparently there's stuff like Commentary Tracks, image galleries and a featurette about the restoration, that stuff always interests me.

This is the Special Edition from "Unearthed Films: Red Blood Cel' with a 2005 date. 24382-7, UN-1012

Look for it on Ebay or something.

Still, Down and Dirty Duck and Heavy Traffic were both God Damn messes. I'm glad I watched them, but I don't think I would recommend either movie.

This movie came out after Heavy Metal, right? I can't help but think that winged thing in the bottom panel is some kind of reference.