Why do cape movies often decide practical designs > cool designs? It's fucking capeshit...

Why do cape movies often decide practical designs > cool designs? It's fucking capeshit, people who like this shit want to see over the cop badass stuff

Cause that would cost money.

What's worse though is when comics carry over those ideas of lamer costumes.

A lot of the designs fall apart and look trashy in live action, even faithfully recreated.

Budget is a huge factor. If they made a cheap looking CGI monstrosity for Blackheart (for example) then the film would have been an even bigger joke.

Another factor is the actors themselves. Sometimes they flat out refuse to wear something that looks like what Scarlet Witch wears in the comics.

I think it might be the case that one person did it and was successful, so now everyone follows suite. It wouldn't work for every character, but I think since MCU went subdued, pretty much everyone will.

bump

>Sometimes they flat out refuse to wear something that looks like what Scarlet Witch wears in the comics.

Then find a new actor/actress, it's not like capeshit movies are known for having high art performances or super good acting, it's all cheesey in the end no matter what

if i had my way, every hero would wear body armor or power armor, and wear clothes that cover as much of the body as possible

I am willing to admit that this is mostly limited to myself, i understand some people want mroe flashy costumes, but i cant help what i like

i don't see anything bad if you pick practical over flashy.
then again, you need to take powers into consideration: if you're making a guy like colossus, it won't be practical at all using a suit that covers the entire body. or if you're making a guy that's (nearly) invulnerable, he can wear pretty much whatever he likes.

This

>Jennifer Lawrence refuses to actually put on the mystique makeup
>Director replaces her and handwaves it in the script with Mystique feeling uncomfortable in the skin she was wearing as Xavier's "sister"

Did that happen?

It's what everyone wants to happen since Jlaw is mystique and hates wearing the makeup

you do know the reason for it right?

I don't know about that. Yeah, cape movies aren't putting away Oscars but they use good actors for most of their characters. I would hate to see some genuinely bad acting in cape films.

A lot of people like to say it's because the teams behind the movies are lazy, underfunded, or in extreme cases they'll say they just hate the source material. But usually it's because of these two reasons

>the costume can't be feasibly be translated to 3D, because part of the costume is actually inhuman or artistically construed bodies
A big example being Cyborg, I mean just look at the fucking troubles the DCEU is having with that
>the actor can't bring the costume to life
Henry Cavill just can't pull off a brighter, cloth costume because his build wouldn't portray the look Snyder is going for. Same goes for Scarlet Witch, or the lack of Thor's helmet in the MCU. You saw how ridiculous Cap looked in the Avengers. It wasn't a bad costume, he just doesn't have the very specific attributes to pull it off.

>It's fucking capeshit, people who like this shit want to see over the cop badass stuff

No, they don't.

People who watch cape movies want to appear nerdy but not TOO nerdy, so they don't like things to look silly or unrealistic. They want "comics but for adults" and even if the whole thing is meant to have a lighthearted tone it has to look like that so they can take it seriously. Case in point, all the Sup Forums retards on this board who don't give two shits about comics.

Also the fact that some designs just can't be adapted to real life, in which case it makes you wonder if they should even bother making a fucking movie at all but God knows they've got to milk their epic geek cash cow. But that's unrelated.

The biggest culprit is that actors, producers, and marketing people all want the actors' faces to be visible.

You can only get around this with something like Iron Man's face-cam. Otherwise it's a minor miracle to have the protagonist keep his face hidden for an entire film.

There's this growing trend of trying to ground everything in reality. For the lizard from spiderman as an example, apparently they thought a lizard talking would look silly and unrealistic, along with the actor wanting some version of his face/performance visible in the character, and the general idea that if he looked more like a monster, he wouldn't be relatable or seem redeemable.

I have not seen this since it came out but damn if he doesn't look more like Apocalypse than Oscar Isaac did.

>Cap's Avengers costume wasn't bad

Just stop this meme.

>A big example being Cyborg, I mean just look at the fucking troubles the DCEU is having with that
I'm actually a little confused on that personally. I never really thought of Cyborg a the sort of Character who ought to be CGI, like say, the Hulk. Maybe prop and costume with some CGI edits to the joints, like The Winter Soldier, but not just a little peek of a guy's real face, and then the rest was made in a computer.

I get that they wanted a more classic design, but it just didnt work and perhaps should have opted for the raptor snout. But the cardinal sin was dropping the torn lab coat for the majority of the film

Because we are only starting to learn how to make "cool designs" look cool.

Studio was too stingy to do Neo Dio right

Because "cool" designs look shit in live action. See every single series of Power Rangers for example.

I think some part of it is also that superhero movies aren't really made for fans of superhero comics, and are generally not really accurate to the source material in more ways than just characters appearances. They are adaptations made for general audiences, and so must fit the sensibilities and aesthetics that are popular. This of course leads to alot of confusion and frustration for comic book fans. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people talk about how gritty and realistic Superman is after seeing BvS, and then when I explain that not only are the comics not like that but are usually the exact opposite, and try explaining stories like Superman Beyond or DC One Million or Kingdom Come, they stare at me in confusion. Or when I had to explain to my roommate at the time that Batman comics are nothing like the Nolan movies and that the Arkham games that he thought were goofy and silly were much more accurate, and he just flat out didn't believe me. The fact is that movies are not made for the fanboys, and wanting them to be will just make you mad.

It's not a bad costume. As a drawing it would be great, it's comic book as fuck. It just looks like shit in real life.

Which is exactly the point that user is making.

They're not cool, OP.

Know what? The only thing they needed for that costume to work was the M hat.

That's it.

You don't need anything else.

Scarlet Witch not having it is like Wolverine with a different haircut or Spider-man without the halfmoon eyes. It just doesn't work.

that looks ridiculous.

Because stuff from comic books usually ends up looking ridiculous in reality.

You mean that's NOT Bao?

except good actors elevate those simple writen characters with their acting abilities, also they bring their fandom with them, unknown and unexperienced actors would just make it more obvious how shallow and baddly writen the actual characters are.

But the opposite happened in Dr. Strange. The classic flaming head Dormammu would likely be cheaper than the giant CGI face they went did. I think it's more that they think some designs look too ridiculous.

If you don't do it with CGI Cyborg would literally end up looking like a cheap sci-fi TV show character.

This. There is a line that they can't cross in which it feels too silly and cartoony to the general audience.

Sure, that's why people bitched about the X-Men wearing black leather for years and years, only MCU apologists have the opinion you have because once they did it, you considered it cool, but bitched otherwise

Nobody thinks like that outside of MCU fans, people still bitch about how the Transformers look, and literally nobody bitched about Superman in past movies or any of the characters from the first two Batman flicks who were straight out of a comic or cartoon design, people didn't bitch about how the original TMNT looked either, or Spider-Man in Raimis movies, or etc etc etc

People who like cape comics make up less than 1% of the cape movie audience. Their opinion is totally irrelevant.

Yeah, because we all know how poorly received the movie that featured this utter ridiculous shit was...grantid, I'm sure somebody will argue that this "was a grounded and realistic Goblin", but if you weren't blatantly splitting hairs you know this looks god damned ridiculous even still, it's straight out of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

No, kids certainly don't care about super heroes being realistic and grounded, and neither do casuals or old people who are probably only into it for childhood nostalgia to begin with

Dormammu's original design looks like a discout Ghost Rider, so I have no complaints

>villains are held to the same standard as heroes and not historically afforded greater leeway for ostentatious costuming
lol ok

Not gonna lie. I actually enjoyed the Power Rangers goblin suit.
Really blended in well with the whole Raimi-camp style to me.

this will always look goofy on screen no matter what

>>villains are held to the same standard as heroes and not historically afforded greater leeway for ostentatious costuming
This thread was literally about a villain....and there are just as many villains who are screwed out of an actual comic costume....(zemo, mandarin who was screwed out of a character period)

And uh, yeah ok so pic related ,point moot. Not only was Spider-Man completely comic looking, and a success that nobody bitched about for not looking serious enough, and a hero....but he also got to wear a mask! Gasp...I just remember all the people complaining that they couldn't see him emote through that full face mask! Not, nobody did, because nobody cared and people in general don't care about that shit but pretentious film makers and idiot apologists for those film makers do

Once again, all the people who bitched for decades now about the X-Men wearing all black, both casual and nerd alike

She's an insufferable bitch who refuses to put effort into anything.

*cough*

Granted it's going to be hard to pull the Goblin off in any form of live action.

People always say so, I disagree. I think Goblin could easily be done in live action you know, if some effort and faith were put into it. Sure you wouldn't do the straight up by the books OG Goblin but a more detailed design could work, it doesn't matter if it looks "silly" what matters is if it looks good or not, and I think that could be done....just loose the brown purse that looks as if it couldn't hold a single pumpkin bomb yet seems to hold a countless amount, I'm all for applying some "grounded" way around that

And like I said, Regardless of it looking like the original design Raimi's Goblin was JUST as cartoonish and ridiculous but in it's own way

No, it doesn't.

>Point out a blatant characteristic of capeshit fans
>Th-that's not true! You're only saying that because you're a fan of the movies I don't like!

Have you considered the fact that some people on a board that's not dedicated to movies and should never have allowed threads about it don't like any of your shitty fucking epic Summer flicks?

Nah, you're just wrong and I pointed out why

>Have you considered the fact that some people on a board that's not dedicated to movies and should never have allowed threads about it don't like any of your shitty fucking epic Summer flicks?
^proper use of greentext btw, faggot

In any case, if you were actually into comic books you'd go make threads about them rather than bitching about how much you hate comic book adaptions in threads for them, you clearly have autism on top of most likely being a poseur who's just pulling another strawman out of the bag and should probably kill yourself.

The giant rippling face was great though.

And it did look quite a bit like Dormammu.

The reason they haven't done this yet is because they had her for a 3 movie contract on the cheap, and she was probably attracting some amount of the audience because OMGITSJLAWWWWW.

While I hate her in the films because she's obviously sleep walking through them since she doesn't think she's being paid enough, it's only fair to point out that apparently the blue body paint gives her rashes. So it's not only the 4+ hours of make-up that bothers her.

>Implying I can't reply to your retarded Sup Forums threads when they're constantly shitting up my catalog
>All this projecting

Someone's angry that literally all they have in life is epic cool nerdy action movies about quipping men in rubber armor.

if that were true those people would hide and ignore every single thread about movies while making threads about comics they like to push the movie threads off the board

As someone who considers himself a Doctor Strange fan, I don't see anything wrong with taking a design like Dormammu's and ramping it up a bit like they did. The ripples in particular were a nice touch.

Nah you have autism, and you don't read comics either....the only people on this board who have trouble discussing comics are people who don't read them.

WHO /BlackheartRubyHeartSentinel/ HERE???

Marvel at least seems to strike a good balance with (most) of their movie costumes.

I don't know what DC are doing. They seem to think that making their costumes ridiculously over detailed and cramped full of crap is the right decision.

Just keep it freaking simple. These are superhero costumes not mech suits.

Give it the texture of the DCEU Superman suit & turn the diaper into a large wrestling style belt and it would work.

Go fuck yourself Superman & Diana's outfits are phenomenal.

Wow chill dude.

Diana is ok but Superman's is way, way too dark.

The red is perfect. The blue could be lighter but not much more so. Absolutely no lighter then the Blue on Cap's CW & AOU suits.

Still pissed they added those horrible groin lines he didn't have in MOS and made the waist & wrist bands the same blue as his suit. CONTRAST you stupid fucks.

Is he Super?

No dude, Cavill would totally look great in the undies /s

The only problem with the Cap costume in Avengers was the helmet.

Captain Puerto Rico

I kinda' enjoyed that on a thematic level.

>Why do cape movies often decide practical designs > cool designs?
Nolan

Eh

The problem of the goblins is that they are supposed to wear a mask that magically becomes a face that can talk and express emotions.

Because sometimes what looks great on the comic page looks awful on film.

They're shit m8

because MUH GOOFY
because MUH CHEESY
because MUH POWER RANGER TIER COSTUMES
because MUH REALISM

I hate this. People pretending that the whole concept is not goofy when it's "realistic". people thinking it's good because nolan made it realistic. At the end of the day, it's still guy dressed up as a bat beating criminals up. How is that not "goofy"? Oh, right, because it's "realistic"

either do it all the way, or don't do it at all.

oh wait, most people don't care about that shit. and it makes money?

oh well.

I Would argue that this design was easily as awesome as any humanoid robot with a monitor in it's chest they could have went with.

And really, you'd want to keep your mind deep in a bunker, and remote robots if you were smart.

3rd Hulk is best Hulk, let's hope that they keep with Best Hulk unless they can actually sharpen his realism further, instead of doing any sort of redesign.

Alternately, you can just take a short actor and put him in a heavy coat and mask for instant Big Guy.

Nortons hulk was better.

wat

Because no one would take it seriously. Western Audiences prefer more realistic designs.

Keep your shit taste to yourself.
Fist of the North Hulk was garbage.

Actually he tore that mask off way too much, so no. He'said a prime example of unmasking too much.

>it's only fair to point out that apparently the blue body paint gives her rashes

And? Rebecca Romijin had to put up with much worse. By the end of the first film she was throwing up blue vomit.

Nah, kenshiro hulk easily looked the best. Norton is also a much better banner than whats his fuck who just does the cliche trope of nervous scientist.

>Why do people go with their ideas that make millions of dolllars instead of apealing to my taste?

A true mistery

Shill kike

Kill yourself you have shit taste, Incredible Hulk looked menacing and was a force to be reckoned with....Avengers Hulk was a cartoonish blob that quipped and wasn't scary in the least bit, and also Ruffalo is a stale actor and looks like something is wrong with his fucking face

>cool
That looks like fucking trash.

And money is the main reason.

And then they can make the costume or cgi but it doesn't look good in comparison to the comic version and people will bitch about it not being true to its origin.

Karl Urban is a hero.

>blackheart looks like trash
Kill yourself, nobody will miss you faggot