How did the Northern accent and the Southern accent develop...

How did the Northern accent and the Southern accent develop, and if distance is the answer then why is the southern accent spread across the south while the northern is spread across the north with slight variations?

I heard one theory said that in the south it gets rather hot in the summer and when you draw your words out you let more breath out and keep your mouth open longer, so you're somewhat cooling yourself off, while in the north it gets right cold so you try to keep your mouth closed as much as possible to keep the heat in. Is that a plausible explanation?

Also which accent in America bothers you the most. For me it's the Minnesota accent, I fucking hate that "oh you betcha" bullshit. It's like nails on a chalkboard, I could barely get through the movie Fargo without vomiting from their speech patterns.

Also for you Northerners it's Soda or Cola not pop, and pin and pen are pronounces the same way. I once traveled to Cedar Point and a girl in front of me in line at some restaurant said she wanted pop, I cringed and wanted to yell at her.

>TLDR accent thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KylF4mZXf1Q?t=68
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_accent
youtube.com/watch?v=ErmygcbqYC0
youtube.com/watch?v=vk-7CMpT38E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

People from different parts of Britain among different social classes moved to different colonies, simply put. Later on, migration from Germany, Ireland, and other places further shaped the accents of the North, Midwest, etc.

>I heard one theory said that in the south it gets rather hot in the summer and when you draw your words out you let more breath out and keep your mouth open longer, so you're somewhat cooling yourself off, while in the north it gets right cold so you try to keep your mouth closed as much as possible to keep the heat in. Is that a plausible explanation?

That's entertainingly stupid.

I'll call it pop if I want faggot.

I'm from New Jersey and everyone here calls it soda. That's it.

I don't have a thick "joisey" accent, and most people don't, but I do know that I have a bit of an accent, especially when I start getting pissed off. That happens with everyone though.

Also the NY/NJ accent is supposedly influenced by the original Dutch settlers of then New Amsterdam, now obviously New York.

>while in the north it gets right cold so you try to keep your mouth closed

No way man. We just move faster in the NY/NJ area and are typically busier. We talk fast when needed because it's part of the culture around here. And not all northerners speak fast either.

New England accents have softer, non-rhotic R's because of British and Irish immigrants arriving after the 1950s. Most of the rest of the country has Rhotic R's because that is what English sounded like in the 1800's. (American English is closer to 1700's English than most British dialects of English, the Brits tried to adopt the accents of their German aristocrats in the 1700's to try and sound posh.)

The Southern accent didn't really come into being until the Reconstruction Era, it's a deliberate attempt at revanchism to try and maintain a distinct southern identity in the post-war era.

Southern accent is best accent. Actually many northerners have been enamored and endeared by my southern accent. I've been called quite charming.

T. Homosexual

The correct term is coke.

I have a Texas accent but not too bad. Do people like the Texas accent, it's pretty different then the general southern accent too imo

Baltimore accent checking in

It's mostly normal except for a few really strange quirks

>wooder (water)
>warsh (wash)
>ool (oil)
>far (fire)
>the way we pronounce long O sounds

It's soda haha wtf

>The Southern accent didn't really come into being until the Reconstruction Era, it's a deliberate attempt at revanchism to try and maintain a distinct southern identity in the post-war era.

false and insanely stupid

>soda
>cola
>pop
>not being Texas master race

It's coke

>tfw born in Virginia but I don't have an accent cause I grew up out of the country

Feels /fraudulent/

Hello, friend.

Is this why so many southern men sound gay?

>It's mostly normal except we speak like fucking retards

How does that happen? I get far and warsh, but wooder and ool?

Do people in England pronounce pillow... pillar like I heard?

It's kinda a lazy way to speak, to be honest

It's a weird mix between southern and northern accents, and Philly people speak similarly

youtu.be/KylF4mZXf1Q?t=68

Watch from about 1:08 on

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_accent

If you ask just about anyone, aside from southerners, the southern US accent sounds stupid. I don't mean that in that, "Hurr, this is stupid" but that it sounds uneducated.

Sure, it has some positive associations, like southern hospitality, but overall, most people automatically assume that anyone with a southern US accent is a dumb-ass uneducated hick.

How would you feel if your doctor walked in and said, "Howdy, ya'll. We're gunna give ya yer pap-smear nah. So just sit yer buns in that there chair raght thurr and get them feet in tha stirrups."

It's not lazy it's just a dialect.

Yeah, you're an idiot,

No one actually talks like that down south, you dipshit. Your only exposure must be from the jews in hollywood.

>Be me
>Be native New Yorker
>Move to Texas
>People do, in fact, sound like that.

>Soda or Cola
cola is a type of soda

There were so many accents in different areas though.

As an example, here in maine I have heard multiple old people claim that when they were younger you could tell what part of the state someone was from just by their accent. Southern/portland etc, inland south (say, bridgton denmark norway bethel area), downeast (the stereotypical "maine" accent you see on tv or movies), The County accent (heavily french influenced) etc.

You can still kind of hear it among really old people.

And this is just one relatively small state. I imagine places like new York state or Michigan had much more. Kind of interesting.

>I heard one theory said that in the south it gets rather hot in the summer and when you draw your words out you let more breath out and keep your mouth open longer,
Nah. Here in Canada, if you're from the west, you talk almost fast, but where I live in the east it's very slow and long. I sometimes can't understand other Canadians. A lot of people say there is no Canadian accent, but you'd have to familiarize yourself with the less mainstream parts of Canada.

Texas is fucking weird. go to the real south, not northern mexico.

I love nothing more than being served a country meal by someone with a thick country accent. Southern food is the best food.

Any other fans of Cracker Barrel here? I love the southern atmosphere.

youtube.com/watch?v=ErmygcbqYC0

lol whatcha talkin bout. A coke is when you want Coca Cola you stupid southerner.

t. Minnesotan

Agreed, if you want to sample the real south, visit Georgia or South Carolina.

Girls with southern american accent are cute af I don't know why you bully it

The Southern Accent, is actually a form of slowed down English Accent (One of the like 50, sharing similarities to most of the central England ones.), speed it up and it sounds similar to those.

The Creole Accent, is slowed down English-french. That is what you will hear in Louisianan areas.

Also, The south may be less educated, but holy shit are we wiser by a far and wide margin, Yankees have zero common sense it seems like.
(With the obvious exception of Florida on our front.)

Pacific northwest reporting.
I hate my accent.

>Always omit Ts, and if I absolutely have to say it, it's just a D
>"Pssific northwes' repording. I hae- my accen-."

Exactly, from Georgia. Georgia way more "southern" than texas. Texas is like 30% southern, 30% west coast, and 30% spics. The other 10% is bullshit.

I prefer the accent in the south of USA but Hollywood films always seem to portray anyone with a southern accent as somewhat less educated which I don't understand

>I heard one theory said that in the south it gets rather hot in the summer and when you draw your words out you let more breath out and keep your mouth open longer, so you're somewhat cooling yourself off, while in the north it gets right cold so you try to keep your mouth closed as much as possible to keep the heat in. Is that a plausible explanation?
I remember reading somewhere that this is how the Aussie's developed their accent, not sure if it's all down to that tho.

They also never do it right. Most people talking in southern accents in hollywood aren't from the south. Sometimes they get it alright, but well over half the time they get it wrong. I have a fairly thick accent and I love it. Not exactly "true" southern, since I'm from the savannah area, so it sounds different because it was a port, but still better than Texas accent.

youtube.com/watch?v=vk-7CMpT38E

Pittsburgh here. Yinz all sound like jagoffs to me.

Oops forgot to add that they were also suggesting screwing your eyes/face up because of bright sunshine could play a part too.

That video is how real southerns talk. Not that bullshit northern mexico mutt accent.

>if distance is the answer then why is the southern accent spread across the south while the northern is spread across the north with slight variations?

You're from the north so you don't know the variety of Southern accents.

I speculate that the southern drawl developed as the people had to speak to one another across greater distances. There's more room between neighbors, farms, crops, fields, barns, etc.

I love the southern accent it's like music.

Hello, New Jersey brother. Definitely hear a shit ton of the "joisey" accent down here by the shore. Jersey Italians are a living fucking cancer.
>parents moved from boondocks in NW PA
>called soda pop when we were kids
>now they've lost their original accents over the last 20 years
No matter where we go though, from Vegas to Dallas to Niagara Falls, people still pick up we're from New Jersey.

Yall got a distinctive accent, like the south, for sure. Anytime I go up north, mostly jersey or new york, it was definitely weird. Feels noticeably foreign. Still haven't been to the far north to hear their Scandinavian influence in accents.

or northwest from the northern east coast for that matter.

>no conservative southern girl with a drawl that sounds like she finna bake a pie and tend to the livestock
>only vapid city cunts who watch too much media and want to eat out all the time
LA is so shit