Was Chris Farley really that good or is it just rose-tinted glasses for 90's comedies?

Was Chris Farley really that good or is it just rose-tinted glasses for 90's comedies?
Seriously, he plays the character Energetic Fat Man in everything I've seen with him. What's the go?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gkGFvtW0CSE
youtube.com/watch?v=ACErRwaQ04c
youtube.com/watch?v=TgvyparsP0c
youtu.be/XoNy2RBpw8o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

energetic fat man is pretty difficult to pull of properly. he did it pretty damn well.

can't you see he's clearly largely influencial?

Overrated physical comedy hack. He was also a very, very, very stupid man.

He didn't just play the Energetic Fat Man, he was the quintessential Energetic Fat Man. He was the human peak of the Energetic Fat Man archetype, there will never again be such a colossus among men.

Yes but why? He was a one trick pony and didn't really do anything else

influence does not equal quality
take a look at movies like the hills have eyes
it's fucking shit, but it inspired more talented people to make better movies.

It's so difficult most of them fucking die young

The 90's was a less cynical time.

people had a sense of humor back then. even if the jokes were silly.

He would have evolved into something great if he had just hung on until Sandler started carrying them all financially. Probably no main stream appeal, but great for us.

This, sad Chris couldn't make it through the drugs and alcohol and self-loathing for a few more years, would've been in Kevin James's place in all of Sandler's movies, and Sandler probably would've helped him kick the habits.

>be me
>watch Tommy Boy
>can't even tell what's supposed to be funny
That's supposed to be a comedy right?

you probably have no sense of humor or you're autistic

If he was still alive and clean today, he would have been one those edgy youtubers.

or probably obese and cringe and despise all other landwhales

I hated his shitty movies back in the 90's when he was meant to be good.

Same goes for a lot of Will Ferrell stuff, and triple for Adam Sandler.

In some ways, it's best that he died young. Hard to imagine a clean and sober Farley doing the same shit Sandler has been doing the last 10 years without cringing.

>>can't even tell what's supposed to be funny

here's a test: did you find airplane or the first 2 family vacations to be funny?

Would've liked to see him try something serious at least once though.

I mean, I've had my 15 minutes of internet fame due to my humor so I'd assume I'm fairly funny but I seriously couldn't tell where the jokes were. I made it to the point just after his dad dies and he mopes for about 10 minutes and then I turned it off.
I was only watching it because my girlfriend loves it but even she wasn't laughing. Like I got the premise that he's supposed to be a dim bulb who's in an eternal frat boy mindset but it never really went beyond pointing out that he's dumb, and the premise up to that point just seemed like a Billy Madison ripoff.

a lot of people here are saying he wasn't in his prime yet but he was nearly 35. he would've only had a few more years of heavy physical acting and then he'd end up fading away selling stand up dvds

anybody who thinks they're funny usually isn't funny

The movie doesn't really get going until they're on the road. impatient jerk.

I haven't seen any of the National Lampoon movies but Airplane was hit or miss with me. I liked some jokes, but didn't care much for the puns.
Historically I've preferred language, surrealist and situational humor over slapstick and run of the mill 'comedy movie' humor. Never cared for NBC-esque comedy either.

youtube.com/watch?v=gkGFvtW0CSE
If you can't even understand this then you're truly hopeless

Nah, I think he could've graduated to lite comedy/drama roles the way John Candy started to right before he passed away. There was always an underlying sweetness to Farley that would've lent itself well to quieter roles.

>I haven't seen any of the National Lampoon movies
>Airplane was hit or miss

you should at least watch the family vacation movies, but may I ask what show or movie you think is funny?

Every good comedian makes jokes that they think is funny, what's important is if other people think they're funny
As far as that goes, I was building a nice steady following and got plenty of OC run on popular sites and pages but I deleted my platform simply because I was running out of ideas and quit while I was ahead

Every story, and particularly comedy, should hook the audience from the start
It's the reason so many comedy films are only really funny for the first half and then shift to being more serious and plot-based
If you have the audience hooked for the first half, they'll feel obligated to sit through the rest, even if it's not funny
If you go to the theater to see a comedy, you expect to laugh or at least be amused. If you don't laugh and you're not amused, it's not a good comedy

Schindler's List

that had me literally rolling out of my seat in the theater I was laughing so hard. Though I was a teen so I might have been the target demographic then.

>Every story, and particularly comedy
its not a hard rule that needs to be followed.

I still don't understand how you at least didn't chuckle in the first 30 minutes of the film. But I hardly chuckled through me myself and Irene and my friends love that movie. So to each their own.

I still get a pretty good giggle out of it. The deer scene, the coat scene and the sales scenes all crack me up. For today's audience it doesn't have enough LE QUIRKY QUIPS to keep them sufficiently amused, but I love comedies from the 90s.

It got a smirk out of me but the music was Danny Elfman levels of distracting and my attention started to shift more towards the soundtrack than the situation

I'll probably watch the Christmas one this year since gf loves it. The only things that have really held up with me are Father Ted and South Park, but I feel like the latter has been on a steep decline since season 14 and haven't watched anything past 16

youtube.com/watch?v=ACErRwaQ04c

if you don't think this scene was funny you have no idea what funny is.

Eh, it's something they always taught in literary classes in the 90s so it's probably hardwired into my brain that a hook is essential
Also the internet has warped the everloving shit out of my sense of humor and I can't enjoy The Simpsons the same way I used to

The gas station scene is the best scene for me. this always makes me laugh.

youtube.com/watch?v=TgvyparsP0c

>the Christmas one
not the best one really imo.

try the first 2. though again, it might be boring in the begging. I think user, you may be impatient to get to know the characters.

>the internet has warped the ever loving shit out of my sense of humor

This may be it, honestly. Thankfully it hasn't affected me.

The funniest bit is still in the first movie:

youtu.be/XoNy2RBpw8o

The setup, the payoff and Chevy's punch line and delivery, all perfect.

Chevy Chase sucks

thank you very much haha

he probably would have put a shotgun blast through his face after being in an adam sandler movie

>tfw this generation would think the naked gun movies were "corny"

The last funny movie ever made was Tropic Thunder

prove me wrong

You're right, but are saying the things you're not supposed to say.

He's like Harvey, but without power. His last moments were recorded by a hooker. He had been up for days, and it was her time to go. She was at the door, leaving, and he said repeatedly " please don't leave me." Even though they'd been high together for days, and he hadn't paid her for anything but company, she still wanted to go. When no one wants to be around you, and you'd rather die...

He's clearly large in any case.

>he probably would have put a shotgun blast through his face after being in an adam sandler movie

Anyone who doesn't like Chris Farley must have some fucking baggage.

Police Squad is the greatest series ever made. Leslie Nielsen was a God.

I can't. It broke it. Even Zoolander 2, I couldn't even find a reason to laugh

People only care about him because the fat slob was apparently depressed and ODed

oh shit, no dubs...yet true...*backs away slowly*