So Sup Forums wtf happened to comic books...

So Sup Forums wtf happened to comic books? I'm not an elder wizard like some of you as I really didn't start reading a shit ton of stuff til about 2006 to like 2011. After Runaways well went away I lost interest in some Marvel stuff. So I decide to pick up a trade recently. It was the new Squadron Supreme series and I really enjoyed the idea of different members of other squads being in a new team. Then I get to this shit. From what is being called the Ultimates. The fucking Ultimates man. That was one of my favorites! What the fuck happened? How did Marvel get to this fucking point? Are there any good comics left that my ignorant ass just doesn't know about any more or is it all this shit?

Why has this shit become so cringy? Is it really hard to sell to the younger audiences and shit? They don't even buy comic books man

Kieron Gillan's Young Avengers happened, and it's tainted Marvel.

Wow who knew that one day we would have to have "diversity" rammed down our fucking throats like this.

You are a white male, comics have moved on, so should you.

You should try reading Champions so you can get #woke

I'm actually Mexican you low test faggot. Try again. And if "moving on" means making ethnic and female versions of established characters to look good PR wise, where the fuck are we moving on to?

>Mexican
>Not white

Oh man keep telling your self that

And comics are moving towards PC titles and constant events. Didn't say comics were moving in a good direction.

>Are there any good comics left that my ignorant ass just doesn't know about any more or is it all this shit?
Yes just not at Marvel.

>PoC
>doesn't like comics becoming representative of nuAmerica

Clearly you have internalized white kyriarchy. Read tumblr more and then at last you will truly free yourself of your inner whiteness and your outer penis.

>user pretends he reads comics

>Good comics left
From the top of my head there is
Vision by Tom King (ended)
Moon Knight
Cage! by Genndy Tartakovsky
Sueperman Rebirth
Hillbilly by Eric Powell
The new Nova run
Foolkiller
Aquaman Rebirth
Deathstroke Rebirth
The Flintstones by Mark Russell
Sixpack and Dog Welder
Carnage (ending)

You didn't really read the comics in questions I assume.

If you enjoyed Squadron Supreme, you will enjoy Ultimates, you just saw a fucking scene of America Chavez flirting and talking about her girlfriend and that makes the comic bad?

Or are you complaining about America Chavez instead of the comic itself because as far as I'm concerned if you are calling Ultimate bad you're just dumb.

Does the new Nova have Richie Ryder in it? He was the shit in Annihilation

You mean Pandering the comic book? It's no Millar/Hitch book that's for damn sure.

Nigga, it brought back Richdard Rider

The only thing annoying me about America right now is the fact that they are now calling her one of those made up genders and promoting her upcoming solo as such, because the writer is of said made up gender.

Pandering to what? Marvel doesn't even promote the book, the black characters in the book are actually "themselves" they didn't take identities from other characters.

I enjoy the book because it's basically the new Fantastic Four.

Holy Shit I love this. Fucking Old man Richie Ryder is cool. What issue is this up to?

>It's no Millar/Hitch book
And we can all be glad for that

the second issue came out last week, that scene is from that issue.

So far, so good

We'll now I see the type of Cucks that this appeals to.

>Ryder
Fuck off, Bendis.

>Going to jail because the cop arresting you is a woman

? Don't get the joke I guess

It appeals to non cucks that actually enjoy reading a good story, instead of most of the pandering that happens in other books, which you apparently accuse of this book is doing.

You are just being an idiot at this point, you don't even give reasons why you dislike the book.

Only Bendis calls him "Ryder"

I'm assuming he is talking about what Bendis did in GoG Original Sin tie-in.

The Ultimates was a perfectly fine book though, the Al Ewing one. It was a lot better than the powerhouses one that came before.

Is, the book is still going, the artist changed though and I don't feel the new artist(or colorist) are doing a good job like Roccafort was.

Comics grew up, now it's your turn.

>reading capes because they "matter"
>in 2017
how small of a box does your world have to be to think anybody still gives a fuck about them

Douche chills reading this page

How's the rest of it?

Get the fuck over it you whiny faggot, you're even more triggered than the average Tumblr landwhale. All day long on this board it's nothing but crying and complaining about a handful of shitty Marvel books. How about you stop worrying about shit you don't like and read things you DO like? And if you can't find a single current book that suits your taste, you're welcome to take a look at the half a century of Marvel comics that you most definitely have not read everything good from.

Your impotent tears will not accomplish anything at all and only serve to further promote the books.

>he doesn't just read Euro and Mango

comics are just old men trying desperately to pander to younger audiences now and failing miserably.

the old guard wrote real shit for everyone

>they are now calling her one of those made up genders
Wait, really? Why? Because she's from some weird alternate dimension pocket universe rather than an actual Earth?

>Are there any good comics left that my ignorant ass just doesn't know about any more or is it all this shit?
As always, even when a company is at the worst, there are okay to good comics still being released along side it.

Or there were months ago, anyway. Deadpool and Ms. Marvel were both pretty great, and the latter was written by a white woman muslim convert, a poster child of modern SJW nonsense. I liked Amadeus Cho Hulk and its intersection with Civil War went better than Ms. Marvel's. Gwenpool is also better than any of the knee jerk negativity around it was, no doubt because it brought in the Doctor McNinja writer, I don't know what's been going on with those comics now, though. Civil War II sort of killed my interests in Marvel for a bit.

Of the most recent offerings, USAvengers had a pretty good initial issue. People have pointed out the second issue of Nova with Rider back was good as well, and Sam-only Nova a little while ago also had a bizarrely good issue guest starring the Captain.

>complaining about a handful of shitty Marvel books
In this case, he's actually complaining about a good Marvel book. The least he could do is bitch about, I dunno, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl or that new Wasp comic.

>Cage! by Genndy Tartakovsky
Excellent coloring job and a few laughs here and there but I wouldn't say it's good

>Deathstroke Rebirth
Convoluted mess with a few moments of brilliance. Might make more sense as a collected trade

>Moon Knight
Gorgeous art but very character driven and not super-heroic one bit. I liked the first few issues before it started getting batshit crazy

>Superman Rebirth
>Aquaman Rebirth
Both of these are some much better than anything I could have expected

Now I guess I have to track down Foolkiller #1 and the Vision trades since everybody seems to like them

It's a legit good book with one incredibly awkward and unnecessary page.

>Convoluted mess
literally too dumb for comic books

Reddit may be more up your speed.

Try finding old storytimes on Desuarchive if you're feeling cautious

>Ms. Muslim
>good

>Posting something that's over 3 years old
>Something that wasn't even physically published
>When the writer no longer works for the company

Yes they are calling her Marvel first Queer Latina, apparently being a Lesbian is not a thing now.

No it is convoluted and messy. Plenty of flashback pages either serve no purpose or are only continued on the next issue. Do you expect me to remember all that shit when I read over a dozen other comics in between? Also the art is terrible and the haircut they gave Slade makes him look like an old faggot

I thought Queer was just another term for gay. Are they trying to change definitions for words again?

Isn't queer just an all encompassing term for "not purely straight"? Also it's weird to me that queer has become a term of endearment for them. I always remembered it being kinda like "fag" in that it's meant to be offensive to them but whatever.

The solicit for her ongoing was enough to turn me off from the book at all unless I heard good word of mouth after it comes out, so it's not like I really care either way. Ultimates^2 is more than enough MAC for me.

>the haircut they gave Slade makes him look like an old faggot
Slade isn't exactly a young guy.

And unfortunately that single page has damned the entire ship

>reading Marvel

you get what you deserve for being a Marvelfag. Marvel is the Call of Duty of comics.

I wish Marvel had the consistency and unironic approach to it's genre that Call of Duty has. Too many books try to not be superhero books instead of embracing it and they try to change up the formula every other year instead of sticking with something that works.

Queer is a term that the gay/lesbian/etc. community is deeply divided over. Some people like it as an umbrella term, some people view it as specifically political and a reclaimed slur, some people hate it because they remember being called it as a slur.

Queer is just what cool kids who don't want to identify a binary by calling themselves "bi-sexual" call themselves, so they use queer because it's more hip and "in-the-know"

>And unfortunately that single page has damned the entire ship
That applies to most of these "SJW pandering comics." It's telling that for the vast majority of them, people only ever post one or two out of context pages or panels.

The real reason? Tumblr. But not what you guys say about SJW stuff. I'm talking about the cutesy Fandom type of tumblr. You know, the kind that draws fan art and ships all the characters. They usually emcompas the specific demographic of 20 something middle class white women with plenty of free time and disposable income. The kind that cosplay and buy key chains at cons. There's a huge untapped market there that's dying to be pandered to and if they can crack it, the money will pour in like how Nintendo found the untapped gamer market with the Wii.

And it's not a bad market to pander to, after all studies show that half of gamers and comic readers are women. The problem here is that they don't like the same stuff that boys do. They play games, but instead of call of duty and gears of war, they play sims and iPhone games. And they read comics but not stuff like Captain America and Iron man, they read Saga and Scott Pilgrim. Stuff that they can buy in a trade with a solid beginning and End, where they dont need continuity and tie ins to keep up. The thing here is that Marvel is changing everything to make them look like indie comics with constant #1s and line changes, even though that audience isn't going to start there anyways because it's really hard to get into no matter what.

It's like when Sony and Microsoft released they're discount wii remotes years after the market got used to the wii and it never cough on. Marvel is reaching out to the Fandom side of comics, even though they won't ever try. They had success with Kamala, but they jumped the gun and pushed her too fast, and guess what happened. Her new fan base stopped reading or buying because it scared them off before they got comfortable with the world. And that mentality has pretty much infected the whole line and now neither side, old or new, is happy with the end product.

Is there social justice pandering?
Of course there is.
Is it everywhere?
From all the bait that's posted on other boards and sites, it only seems like that.

About half of the bait posted is over 2 years old, from cancelled books, only had one glaringly bad moment in other wise mediocre/decent book, or all 3. It's like click bait that works every time.

Marvel's trying to recreate Kamala's success with almost every female title they have right now but it's not working for obvious reasons.
The constant events are a drag and it makes long time readers weary and newcomers uncomfortable to try things out.
Also relevant.

>I had a discussion at ECCC with someone in comics, I’m not going to mention who, about how busy the convention was, and they said that some of the attendees were probably just “Tumblr fans.”
>I asked what she meant, and she said that she felt there was a growing group of fans who love the characters and love MOMENTS of stories, but don’t read the actual comics ever. She said that they will buy a CHARACTER X t-shirt in a heartbeat, but don’t own any graphic novels.They will reblog a scene they like from a comic, but never go to an actual comics shop to get that same book.
- Gail Simone

Reminds me of how after the whole Mockingbird "controversy" happened, Cain said that if you want to show your support then you should support the book.

Many tumblrites interpreted this as "go buy Ask Me About My Feminist Agenda shirts off of welovefine." So they showed their support for the book by buying a bunch of t-shirts from a company that isn't even associated with Marvel where none of the sales would in any way help Cain either get the book uncancelled or get another gig at Marvel thanks to post-cancellation support.

>Many tumblrites interpreted this as "go buy Ask Me About My Feminist Agenda shirts off of welovefine."
Amazing. Any links/images?

>So they showed their support for the book by buying a bunch of t-shirts from a company that isn't even associated with Marvel where none of the sales would in any way help Cain either get the book uncancelled or get another gig at Marvel thanks to post-cancellation support.

That's so stupid it honestly sounds like a twist I'd expect from a bad sitcom on TV.

I forgot about that. This is a level of idiocy that if I didn't know about it, I would think you're lying.

There is no sitcom as bad as reality.

>They play games, but instead of call of duty and gears of war, they play sims and iPhone games
I remember this one video that tried to argue against that and how companies should go after the female casual market more by saying "so? games are games"
Sup Forums was ticked off by that particular moment.

Just read Moon Knight. Id rather read bat-shit crazy than shit

Nor is there any funnier ones

source? Most I saw of the controversy was just people passing around links to the book.

Cage! is my personal favorite comic of the list. It's really expressive and fluid in a way most comics aren't.

Well it's done by an experienced animator.
The guy who made Samurai Jack, Sym Bionic Titan, and Dexter's Laboratory