youtube.com/watch?v=QhnsC2V4_0w
youtube.com/watch?v=3H4Qas7SWXU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

best post of 2017

>there hasnt been a thread like this for a year

Stop shitposting.

(O)P

OP CalArts confirmed

Thank fucking god someone finally posted something like this for once. Everyone is shitting on the art styles of the newer cartoons nowadays and they're literally just smaller lined and every character has a bean mouth.

name some cartoons that DON'T had calarts style at least?

But except that it was commonly used for young and animal characters and is much more varied, while keeping it close to the basic shape than the current head shape. It is usually used as a guide, in short.

The current head shape doesn't do anything varied or "move away" with the basic shape. Instead it literally uses the basic shape as the main structure, rather than using it as the guide.

>popeye
>bean head

For the rest of the characters, read this:
johnkstuff.blogspot.ca/2007/01/animation-school-lesson-9a-tom-and.html

>Note how all the characters in Tom and Jerry are the same design. The only differences are what kind of ears and what specific species characteristics are tacked on to let you know what animals they are. Tom and Jerry themselves are the same design, with different proportions and different ears.

>listening to John K.
>ever

he may be batshit but he knows a lot about animation history and specifically design conventions, so shut up nerd.

>big head
>small cheeks
>calarts
E X P L A I N

>bland and crooked [...] Samurai Jack

John is on crack
and a talentless hack
who will never bounce back

Except that's their nose and the calarts bean head has the cheek sticking out.

t. SUfag who got mad at someone insulting the show's artstyle

They're mad because they got all their threads deleted because they were spamming like 8 at a fucking time.

where are the cans john

kek

Notice how the shape is a guideline and not literally the actual design.

The problem with moder cartoons can be basically boiled down to an excessive simplification. They can work consistently, but consistency is boring.

They need all those additional edges and curves and fine lines from these old cartoons, all that details to work into something dynamic instead of being drawings that function as empty space containers.

Took long enough. What were mods thinking?

About their next hotpocket.

>reading "overanalyzing old cartoons: the blog"

It doesnt fucking matter.
None of this matters.

Is the cartoon good? Ill watch it. end of story. Who gives a shit who made it or what university they went to.

OP wins the internet

youtube.com/watch?v=QhnsC2V4_0w

the problem isn't how regular design elements are used, but how they're used in contrast with other characters - jerry and tom use the same head shape, yeah, but their phisique/gestures/poses differ

here's a very cherrypicked image I made that illustrates what I think the real issue is in modern cartoons

That's just the fault of TV animation in general. Almost everything in OP's pic is theatrical, designed and animated by the same artist who had very high art credentials. TV animation has pretty much remained stagnate in it's production and pipeline ways since it's very creation, with just the few golden spots of networks wanting/allowing unusually high quality now and then (Outrageously high for TV, like, Ren and Stimpy, Avatar or DC action cartoons).

The only DC Action show that didn't have shitty stiff korean animation was Batman though. Everything else starting with Superman had diminishing returns and an overall bland output. As far as animation goes that is.

but even as limited as HB shows were they had differing character proportions (maybe excluding flinstones) - its not hard to do but it takes a bit to master

>but even as limited as HB shows were they had differing character proportions

They really didn't, at least not by much. They also loved re-using animations because surprise surprise it's cheap as shit.

Everything wrong with TV animation can be rooted back to HB and their "fuck quality and original ideas,get money and recycle Scooby Doo" attitude.

I feel like I remember the JL cartoon being pretty good, though upon rewatching, it definitely is very on-model and a lot more bland than B:TAS.

youtube.com/watch?v=3H4Qas7SWXU

Hi

Problem Solverz

Scooby Doo.

>heads with noses is cal arts style

Not many cartoons seem to use a proper height chart for their characters. Also, the difference between Wendy and Dipper in height was so utterly ridiculous for their age difference, it felt more like Timmy and Vicky (six year apart) than just 2-3 years apart.

Wait, there's only 3 years between them? I thought they were something like Dipper being 12 and Wendy being 17

Stop liking CalArts

>Not many cartoons seem to use a proper height chart for their characters
A few old cartoons had height issues as well. For example, in Chip n Dale RR, the team would be extremely small compared to Fat Cat in a couple of episodes, and sometimes they would be huge next to him in other episodes. Maybe I'm going nuts, but I think there was one episode where they were as big as Fat Cat, or maybe he was just small, I can't recall correctly.

Fuck you, alright? Just fuck you. I'm so fucking sick of you virgin neckbeard faggots who treat Steven Universe like an eternal fucking boogeyman, like your whole world would crumble into social justice if you were to just give fans of the show enough goddamn respect to talk about it in peace. Nobody does this shit to Ed Edd n Eddy threads or Samurai Jack threads, but the minute someone mentions Steven Universe you assholes flock to it and shitpost it into oblivion with "MUH CALARTS" or "MUH TUMBLR" or whatever retarded complaint you have at the moment. I mean for christs sake you were shitposting about Steven fucking CRYING, even though none of you understood the goddamn context of the scene. I don't know where the giant fucking stick up your collective asses came from Sup Forums, but it's getting fucking old. Fuck you hypocritical assholes who claim this is a board for cartoons then immediately do everything in your power to prevent the discussion of the better cartoons on TV these days just because you're afraid of something that isn't action or tits. Fuck you all.

>Sup Forums loves Timm
>literally same face and same body on like 90% of all characters

From a couple of things characters said in early episodes I think that the original idea was that Wendy was supposed to look freakishly tall for her age, but either they decided to drop that little detail or just forgot about it entirely when they decided to introduce her friends.

How much do you weigh?

The loud girls are late bloomers though, considering the girls don't seem to get tits until they are 16.

I'm guessing that the manlet originally intended for Dipper and Mabel to be younger, and Grunkle Stan to be much older, judging by their original character designs, but Disney told him to make them tweens so that the main audience could relate to them more. It would at least make more sense out of the wonky timeline and generational age differences in the Pines family.

I think the kids were always supposed to be twelve. From what I understand Hirsch wasn't happy with the original pilot designs (specifically Grunkle Stan and the backgrounds/props) and picked out a new team that made the designs cuter, which therefore aged down Dipper and Mabel.

The latter part could've also be partly Disney interference, but a big part of it seemed to be from the creative team changes.

>head is a circle
CALARRRRRRRRRRRRRRTS

>characters don't have fucked up faces
Automatically not Calarts

>the better cartoons on TV these days
So every cartoon that isn't SU?

That show has some of the worst animation, worst voice acting, and ugliest character designs I've ever seen. I couldn't give a rats ass about the lore, because I already experienced the animes its ripping off. Social justice has nothing to do with it either, there are other cartoons I find more enjoyable that have minority or gay characters.

The thing I like about HBs designs is they look nice with a proper animation budget, because they have well-designed proportions. They're made with the philosophy of golden age cartoons, but engineered to work with a limited budget too.

Cartoons are supposed to look exaggerrated tho

>TV animation is only HB
>the 80's and 90's never happened, we went from scooby doo to SU
Jesus, how ignorant is this generation?

boner

because it did

a quick reminder that this is CalArts

Hey John does this image trigger you?

C A L A R T S

>90's CartoonNetwork wasn't literally just modern day HB

Sounds like the retard is you.

Animation is a highly technical process, fag. I'm sorry he doesn't just want to draw some scribbles like Steven Universe artists and call it a day.

IS THAT A part6 REFERENCE!?

Further evidence that American animation has been garbage from the start and the only good designs come from Japan.

Thanks OP, saving this for future arguments.

>i'm sorry he doesn't just want to draw some scribbles like Steven Universe artists and call it a day.
Oh, you poor, ignorant soul

>and the only good designs come from Japan.
Thanks for the laughter.

But he's not wrong.

No, it's a Uzumaki reference.

>Oh, you poor, ignorant soul

Instant 100000+ replies

It's more visually appealling and provides good cheesecake material

the outlines given to Mickey and especially Popeye don't really do them justice
also I keep hearing about this Calarts meme but I've never seen it in action, what is it?

Steven Universe is one of the ugliest and least likeable protagonists of any show.

I know right? if he was real you'd be staring up his nose constantly, no one wants that
that shape of the nose is weird too
and that fucking hair!

The kid would be bullied constantly if he was real.

Do you hate black people?

unironically yes.

>bullying a kid with super strength

You wanna be the next Ritchard Gale?

He's too much of a faggot to use his strength that way on someone who's just calling him a fat faggot.

no, and he doesn't look black, he looks Latino, except with a pointy snake nose and grandma hair

But you didn't even properly trace the shapes, you fucking retard!
In fact, you just got that fucking image off tumblr you FUCKING RETARD

He didn't call the SHOW "bland and crooked", e called Samurai Jack's design "bland and crooked." In fact he loves the artfulness of the show. You can love Samurai Jack (the show) without loving Samurai Jack's character design.

>two slices of Howl's Moving Castle bacon
>can't just be fucking bacon
>has to be ripped off from somewhere else

jesus christ is there anything original in this show?

is there anything original under the sun?

>hurr durr nothing is original meme
>therefore let's just blatantly steal

you're right. next time i pitch a show i should just say it stars a spongebob-like character in a setting similar to samurai jack with side characters styled after cosmo and wanda and a villain who acts kind of like lord hater.

you're pretty triggered about bacon being drawn in a specified style

>i have nothing to rebuttal with
>i know, i'll use a buzzword! that'll stop the conversation dead in it's tracks
could have also said autistic instead of triggered if you wanted to go for maximum power.

the problem is the bacon doesn't look like anything from a ghibli movie, it looks like fucking scribbles

I'm thinking about getting a nose job.
Here's a quick sketch of what I'm thinking.
How's it look?

i don't think using the same bacon and using the same character are really all that comparable

>even dates a fat funny fuck

you know bacon in America, and bacon everywhere else in the world are two different things, yea?

I think he was trying to point out how bland each character looks in terms of how they move and how they rest. They're all samey bullshit, a la Family Guy, instead of being interesting.

>Howl's Moving Castle is now a real place
what point exactly are you making here?

explain the small eye pupils in the characters

But Connie's Indian while Khannie's Chinese or Japanese.

she's lao you stupid american fuck

That was a really stupid defensive move on your behalf. Sugar and her staff only know the american kind, so the grand move of making it a specific type from an anime is simply pandering and nothing else.

>Spotted redneck hillbilly neighbor

Are you stupid?