Is this the best theatrical version of Superman?

Is this the best theatrical version of Superman?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZzYTQffU-I8
youtube.com/watch?v=gHBwTjJcXss
youtube.com/watch?v=78N2SP6JFaI
youtube.com/watch?v=IZEfq3ti8ho
youtube.com/watch?v=FHpOVBEXCxM
youtube.com/watch?v=pX3coWDnTrU
youtube.com/watch?v=u1ZVRm1KcZY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes.

Hell, I would say it's one of the best versions of Superman in anything.

Easily.

Nope.

/THIS

Best theme of Superman? youtube.com/watch?v=ZzYTQffU-I8

Are the Famous Studios episodes worth watching too?

>it's triumphant, bright, and hopeful
it's basically supes in music form.

>Dat new orchestration
Man, does this sound so vintage, so epic, so fresh and bloody glorious!
Thanks for posting user!

he also invented flight as a power, since the budget was not good enough to show leaping tall buildings in a single bound

But they rarely showed him flying, he leaped in most of the cartoons. I assume that Superman's flight was copied from Captain Marvel doing it first although these cartoons may be the first instances of Superman flying.

That version of Superman didn't take down the KKK.

They are pretty similar. They have, in some instances, lesser plots is the worse thing I can say about them.

>was copied from Captain Marvel

Nope, it predates the first Captain Whiz Bang that Cap appeared in.

I remember Grant Morrison saying that this is absolutely the best Superman theme song because the dun-duh-duh is the perfect tempo to sing Su-per-man to.

>Superman, Superman, Superman Superman Superman duh duh duh da duh.

I can't really disagree

It's an outdated yet quaint interpretation of the character

>first Fleischer Superman cartoon was released on September 26, 1941
>Captain Marvel flew regularly since Whiz Comics #5 (cover date June 1940, before the Fleischer cartoons conception)
>Superman didn't have flight as a defined power in comics until 1942/1943

Why bother lying about things that can be easily disproven?

I feel like there will always be a place for a bright superman to remind us of what we could be

The artwork is really nice on backgrounds - which makes them really special when you can find the cleaned up ones, not some of the poor quality versions you sometimes find on DVD for a few bucks or on tube sites.

The Warner Bros youtube channel has uploaded good quality ones.

youtube.com/watch?v=gHBwTjJcXss

does it have all of them?

I hope user meant it's literally outdated since it's set in the 1940s.

>5 Hours Ago
>This video is not available
Fucking damnit.

Most of the Youtube music topic videos are unavailable outside the US but it doesn't take much effort to use a proxy if you're that bothered by it.

fuck off Snyder

Snyder is awesome

best Superman of them all

pls stop Snyder

>This video is not available
FUCK

Any Superman theme that's composed as a march is a good Superman theme. If your Superman theme can't be performed by a high school marching band, you're missing the point.
This is why the Zimmer theme fails.

Personally I agree with this. Though I still regard it as the goat. Maybe with a little too spare of a "character".

Only the first nine. All of them are available on the Internet Archive, but the one's on the Warner Bros. YouTube are from the remastered DVD release, so are of higher quality then the IA ones.

That robot army episode was the best. Crazy good animation for what should be static, metal machines.

>Zimmer
is he the most overrated composer in film right now? every single theme of him is so recycled I can by now recognize instantly it's one of his.
and some movies sound so fucking similar to each other, it's unbelievable he could get away with it. compare The Rock Pirates of the Carribean or Gladiator.

*with Pirates

Super

Yeah, he's garbage.

This animation quality really puts contemporary stuff to shame. Why the fuck can't we do this kind of quality anymore instead of outsourcing to Japs and Koreans?

It's a theatrical cartoon, you fucking dumbass.

Fleischer Superman is the best Superman. He's not overpowered but he is still, without a doubt the Man of Steel. I don't really vouch for the later shorts which happened at the end of WW2 and are racist af and also sport inferior animation.

At the risk of being a contrarian, I always preferred this
youtube.com/watch?v=78N2SP6JFaI
It's so bright and colourful and full of hope and positivity. Not like that Snydershit.

Perfectly good alternative IMO.

The Famous Studios shorts really didn't click all that well with me when I first caught them, save for 'Eleventh Hour'. Propaganda aside, the short was surprisingly dark (or it could've been the poor quality of the film), and that fucking bell still haunts my memories.

There are fucking kikes out there right now, despite knowing they are Satan and the serpent seed will still pretend to be fucking noble like Superman and fight NeoNazi and Nazi "scum bags" Lol. How fucking disgraceful can Jews get for fucks sake.

"No."

youtube.com/watch?v=IZEfq3ti8ho

This one sounds so majestic and grandiose in scope, like truly legendary tale of a mythic figure.

It embodies what Superman had become by the time of this film, a true icon and the embodiment of heroism.

The Fleischer theme is by no means lesser, but it tells of a different Superman, before he attained mythic proportions.

I'd also like to offer the Animated Series intro theme by Shirley Walker.

youtube.com/watch?v=FHpOVBEXCxM

I think it strikes a pretty much perfect middle ground between the Fleischer and Williams themes.

Man of Steel / BvS... fuck the haters

YouTube proxy solves the problem, anons.

yes, now go back to bed.

Isn't having a spot in the theme that you can go "SU-PER-MAN" to kind of an unsaid rule about Superman themes? The Donner films did it, TAS did it, but I'm not sure about other Supes shows like Lois and Clark for example.

>At the risk of being a contrarian
>post John Williams

user, that's what most people think of when they think "Superman theme", if anything the theme of the shorts is more contrarian just from the fact that they are less known today alone.

lol

>Official Blu-ray release never
I really wonder why WB hasn't done it yet? They've already remastered it for their own official dvd release a few years ago and they could release it via the Warner Archive which is produce on demand so it can't be the cost.

The only thing I can come up with is that since they're all in public domain they know that once they do release it officially on BD that it'll just instantly be copied and re-released by a bunch of other companies.

I know a collection of them was on Netflix at one point.

So, is the Zimmer theme the worst one?
youtube.com/watch?v=pX3coWDnTrU

While the prints that are out there in PD-land are Public Domain. Warner owns the rights to the 35mm film masters and any new media scanned from them.

Didn't know that, got a source? I assumed that since the shorts themselves are in PD that while WB does own the original masters once they release them anyone would be free to copy and re-release those releases?

All things considered, yes. Yeah, most of the villains in it are pretty forgettable but goddamn, the art, animation, and presentation puts most shit today to shame.

Only if Superman's revival in JL blows everyone away.

it sounds more like an outtake from his lion king score than superman to me

Because those shorts were freakishly expensive. Each one was $30,000, which was a gigantic sum of money at the time. Adjusted for inflation that's the equivalent of about half a million dollars. That's half a million per short. The whole series had a cost about 8.8 million dollars in today's money
(That's including the Famous Studios shorts, the Fleischer's only produced 9 out of the 17 total episodes so if we're just counting the Fleischer's cartoons the total cost comes out to around 4.65 million in today's dollars)

Now in a fit of supreme autism, and because I had nothing better to do, I looked up all 17 of the shorts and added their running times together. The whole series has a running time of 141 minutes and 44 seconds. Rounding that up to 142 minutes brings the shorts to a cost of about $61,972 per minute of animation or $1,033 per second. At the time film was shot at a rate of 16 frames per second so it comes out to a final cost of about $64.50 per frame of animation.

One minute of that animation costs more than some people make in a year, if someone else felt like throwing that kind of money at an animation project you bet your ass we'd get something as beautiful as the Fleischer shorts.

>film was shot at a rate of 16 frames per second
Whoops fucked up. Most animation is actually at 24 frames per second. Assuming the Fleischer's animated on 2's like most people at the time that's 12 unique frames per second at a cost of about $86 per frame.

If I'm not mistaken it's more complicated then "Fleischer Superman is in the PD". Warner Bros. and the Shuster heirs don't enforce copyright because nobody's making any sort of profit from what's already floating around out there in the form of 3rd party DVDs. The only profit is in fans wanting HD releases, and even then it's a small margin for the costs involved. They've released the HD DVD in 2012 already, there's nothing to warrant something like Blu-ray or Blu-ray 4K.

>Anecdotal, but I've only ever seen the Fleischer cartoons available in physical form from sanctioned 3rd party distributors or bootleggers who rip what's already out there from YouTube, package it with 40 other Golden Age of Animation cartoons and sell it for a dollar. Doesn't seem like a lucrative business.

>They've released the HD DVD in 2012 already
What? I've never heard of this release before.

>The 8-disc Blu-ray boxset The Superman Motion Picture Anthology, released in June 2011, includes all the Max Fleischer cartoons in SD as bonuses on the discs for the two versions of Superman II.[12] The nine Fleischer Studios cartoons plus the 13-minutes feature First Flight: The Fleischer Superman Series are on the Superman II - Original 1980/81 Theatrical Release disc and the eight Famous Studios cartoons are on the Superman II - The 2006 Richard Donner Cut disc.
My bad, 2011 and it was released in SD which is weird for a Blu-ray but they're out there.

Yeah, I've got that Superman set. Shame they're only sd.

Neither did the radio version. He took down the Clan of the Fiery Cross.

As good as the John Williams theme is, this will always feel timeless.

Supes

>like Lois and Clark

Not the best theme I've heard but you can definitely hum Superman along to it, so it fits the basic criteria.

youtube.com/watch?v=u1ZVRm1KcZY