HACK

Memes aside, let's talk about this guy for a moment.

Most of Sup Forums seems reluctant to criticize him, because Blade Runner is still fresh in our minds and we all liked it. But understand that calling him a "hack director" does not mean that he makes bad movies. Blade Runner is good, Sicario is good, Prisoners is good, Arrival and Enemy are decent. But Villeneuve himself is the weak link in each production. He, himself, brings very little to the table.

He embodies calculated, professional competence, with no real creative spark or genuine talent. He picks good stories, he surrounds himself with talented cast & crew, he faithfully executes the filming of each screenplay, but he does nothing to elevate any of it. There's no poetry or beauty in his framing, camera movement, mise en scene, or editing. Just cold, competent clarity.

Imagine a film directed by a computer program, a low-grade AI that translates a script into a shot-list. And you've got Villeneuve. And that, in a very literal sense, is what "hack" means. "Hack" does not mean "bad," it means he stands there and lets the cast & crew do their work without much interference. I imagine his main function on-set is to make sure everything gets done on schedule and on budget.

He is not a BAD filmmaker, he is true neutral, he is high-grade mediocrity. He doesn't fuck anything up, but he doesn't know how to bring what's on the page to a higher level. I wouldn't pick on him if people weren't so quick to hail him as a "great director." Because this overblown reception, more so than the rise of capeshit and franchise blockbusters, signals a bleak future for cinema. It means we've completely forgotten what a director is actually supposed to do. The only difference between Villeneuve and a nameless Marvel Studios hack is his choice of source material.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/S75OKnM_BKU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I agree with most of what you're saying, but BR: 2049 got to me in spite of myself. It is absolutely his best film by a wide margin, and yes I'm including his non-English shit.

Denis "Hot pocket" Villeneuve

Give me one reason why mods shouldn't range ban you for making these daily pasta threads?

He is cheeto dust. Nothing more.

Everything you said could be applied to any director who doesn't come out and proclaim themselves as artists, and not filmmakers. There is extreme passion in all his films, that cant be denied. Now stop with this stupid meme.

>implying a director who can produce a good movie in a studio environment doesn't make him one of the best directors working today

if you want *sniggers* creative sparks watch an indie movie

the real talent of a modern big budget director is knowing how to keep the Weinstein's of the world the fuck away from the project before they force you to add a cute animal sidekick and edit out the sex scene

Blade Runner>Prisoners (I'm a sucker for the atmosphere)>Sicario>Arrival

This

His movies have too much of a distinct tone and aesthetic for him to be perceived as a studio bitch. He's not a genius, but he's definitely not a hack. He's an above-average director with a good taste in scripts.

If Villeneuve is true neutral, does that make Nolan chaotic neutral?

>But understand that calling him a "hack director" does not mean that he makes bad movies.
No, you retard. He's a hack because he makes mediocre movies. It's not the other way around derp.

He's lawful neutral for sure

>He picks good stories, he surrounds himself with talented cast & crew, he faithfully executes the filming of each screenplay, but he does nothing to elevate any of it
Have you actually read any of the scripts of these films? Except for BR, they are utterly generic, Villeneuve miraculously made great films out of them. Sicario could've been just another B tier mexican drug trade film everyone forgets about, but because of Villeneuve's execution it's one of the most prominant slow burning thrillers of recent times.
Or take the threeway sex scene in BR2049. That could've easily been a completely ridiculous cheesy scene, but because of his execution it's genuinely emotionally involving and one of the better scenes in the entire film.
And you talk like every film should be "poetic" and "beautiful", which is quite a close minded ignorant statement.

You lost your train of thought somewhere in all these walls of texts.

How many more times are you going to post this awful pasta? You think you're saying something important or original when you're really not. Funnily enough that's exactly why Villeneuve is a hack.

Why don't mods delete threads that are the same daily pastas?

One thing to note
This half breed thinks tfa is good and is only back now for episode 8

what you're describing is a good producer, not a good director

why do people act like his work started from Prisoners? you guys always talk about him being le reddit director but it seems like you've not even seen his pre-mainstream work

>villaneuve
J.J. Abrams x Alfred Hitchcock
>innaritu
J.J. Abrams x Luis Bunuel
>cuaron
J.J. Abrams x Orson Welles
>nolan
J.J. Abrams x John Ford
>abrams
Spielberg x Frank Capra

All memers, all safe, no innovation.

So what you are saying is that J.J. Abrams is the most prominant innovative director of our time?

>J.J. Abrams x Luis Bunuel

To accept Villeneuve as a quality director is to garb yourself in a coat of hot pockets and video games and then writhe around on the ground in a supermarket while screaching and slapping yourself on the sides of your head.

He is cheeto dust. Nothing more.

Nothing more than a hack, a useful tool for studios to trot out to say "Hey, we're making art house!" I cannot wrap my head around the adulation he receives, let alone the wide praise this has got. The film trudges from set piece to set piece, leaves us no real questions or anything to think about really.

The worst part however was Deakins' "look at me I'm acting!" cinematography. This poor sap has become a parody of himself to appease his internet fans (much like Refn after Drive)

The same bullet that kills a capeshit fan will also kill the Villeneuve and Paul Thomas Anderson fan. They come from the same root, from the same doritos stained console. They are frauds, and as a warrior of cinema it's my duty to expose the fakes and the inauthentic when I see them. I will fight with nails and teeth until the last imposter has fallen to the ground

I have about as much respect for Denis Villeneuve as I do for the dogshit on my shoe. He is reddit. He is video game hotpocket. He is capeshit. He is cheeto dust. I'm literally screaming right now and slamming my arms down on my desk just thinking about him.

He is the most depraved video game infantilised manchild degeneracy. He is Saturday morning cartoons. He is non-neurotypicality. He is memes. He is video game. He is Inarritu. He is IMDB.

He is the dilution solution to actual directors.

>He is the most depraved video game infantilised manchild degeneracy. He is Saturday morning cartoons. He is non-neurotypicality. He is memes. He is video game. He is Inarritu. He is IMDB.

I think you're reflecting.

The only one of these that somewhat makes sense is Abrams
>comparing innaritu to bunuel
You really know nothing about film

I think Villeneuve is great and I'm a certified patrician.

Top 25 films of all time?

In no particular order:

Woman in the Dunes
La Grande Illusion
Sansho the Bailiff
Intolerance
Cold Water
Dead Man's Letters
Le Diable Probablement
The Spirit of the Beehive
The Great White Silence
A New Life
The New Land
Evolution of A Filipino Family
Time to Live, Time to Die
Stroszek
Days and Nights in the Forest
Black God, White Devil
Picnic at Hanging Rock
The Trial
Viridiana
Orphee
Bob le flambeur
Johnny Guitar
Sonatine
The Beyond
Cruel Story of Youth

>time to live time to die
>bob le flambeur
>sonatine
>the grand illusion
>woman in the dunes
etc.

Not the user that asked but good picks

>I'm a certified patrician.
Top ten novels, top ten operas, top ten paintings.

He said films, not flicks

My tastes in everything other than film are not that patrician, would appreciate recs
>Books
Stoner
American Pastoral
L'assomoir
Demons
In Remembrance of Things Past
Dead Souls
Musashi
100 Years of Solitude
Moby Dick
The Death of Ivan Illyich
>Paintings
Don't really know if I can list 10 specific ones, but I really like Magritte, Renoir, Manet, Pollock, Carmichael, Cezanne, Degas, Klimt, Schiele and Gorky.
>Operas
I haven't watched any

copypasta thread, nothing of value seen.

Didn't think Arrival was anything special, enjoyable yes. Prisoners was great, and Blade Runner was just mesmorising.He's got a good portfolio over all. Oh Sicario was good stuff as well.

How many films have you made OP? Do you think a director just hires people and then sits aside? As someone already pointed out, his films are too consistent in terms of tone and quality for them to be the result of everyone but himself.

>I haven't watched any
I'd start off at the deep end with Wagner. Not the ring cycle, but something more self-contained like Parsifal, Tannhäuser, or Tristan und Isolde. The prelude to Tristan is probably the greatest piece of music ever written

What are your top films, books, paintings and albums ?

>There's no poetry or beauty in his framing
youtu.be/S75OKnM_BKU

Off the top of my head, non-official:

Tree of Life
Ordet
Last Year at Marienbad
La Notte
Persona
The Battle of Algiers
Accattone
Tokyo Story
Au hasard Balthazar

Moby-Dick - Melville
The Sorrows of Young Wether - Goethe
Swan's Way - Proust
The Book of Disquiet - Pessoa
Lolita - Nabokov
The Wreath - Undset
Absalom! Absalom! - Faulkner
Crime and Punishment - Dostoevsky
À rebours - Huysmans
Don Quixote - Cervantes

-Klimt's Die Griechische Kunst II at the Kunsthistorisches museum in Vienna
-Klimt's Pallas Athene
-Caravaggio's Head of Goliath
-Vermeer's The Astronomer
-Velázquez' Las meninas
-Rothko's navy and black 1969
-Botticelli's Birth of Venus
-Poussin's The Holy Family on Steps
-Eyck's Adam and Eve
-Delacroix's The death of sardanapalus

Don't ask me for my favorite poems. I have at least 50 in my top ten.

>Accattone

fuuck finally someone mentioned this film on Sup Forums, usually only Passolini's Salo gets posted

>Tokyo Story
>Au hasard Balthazar
You really like these better than Late Spring and A Man Escaped?

We have similar tastes though so I guess I'm a patrician as well.

Yes and yes. I don't judge by made-up "objective" criteria, but just by how I reacted to it when I saw it. I saw Au hasard Balthazar at just the right time in my teens

arrival was trash because of the screenplay. the direction was amazing. sicario's direction was amazing. prisoners also suffered from screenplay/plot issues, but the direction was fine there

havent seen enemy, but all the direction in the films has been good

pleb af desu

>À rebours
Patrician confirmed

You know what's funny? i have about as much respect for denis villeneuve as I do for the dogshit on my shoe. It is reddit. It is video game hotpocket. It is capeshit. It is cheeto dust. I'm literally screaming right now and slamming my arms down on my desk just thinking about it.

It is the most depraved video game infantilized manchild degeneracy. It is saturday morning cartoon. It is non-neurotypicality. It is memes. It is video game. It is tarantino. It is imdb.

Excellent pasta

Watched two of his movies - Sicario (really fell below my expectations) and Prisoners (really fucking good). And i'm planning to go and watch Blade Runner tomorrow. For now, I wouldn't say he is a great director, but if we compare him to the rest of Hollywood... well, he is above most, desu.

Why did you dislike Sicario?