I don't get it. What made this movie so great? Is it another "it was revolutionary at the time" type deal?

I don't get it. What made this movie so great? Is it another "it was revolutionary at the time" type deal?

Design wise, yeah, since almost every scifi movie afterwards (for about 20 years) robbed it's city design. Even the Mario Bros. movie stole the Blade Runner city.

>it's another confused br2049 babby who didn't get Blade Runner thread

cool noir movie with ebin setting

It's a "OP is a dumb faggot" type deal.

Literally. LITERALLY stole it. They used the exact same set.

>What made this movie so great?
Atmosphere, sets, costumes, effects, dat score, and Rutger Hauer.
The story is almost incidental and the weakest aspect (like most of Scott's movies)

>The story is almost incidental and the weakest aspect
Can this meme die already? As far as Hollywood films go, Blade Runner is very complex. What more do you people need?
>like most of Scott's movies
Ridley Scott is not the genius behind Blade Runner.

>is very complex
Dude kills replicants and fucks a girl that is a replicant.
Literally the whole plot.

>Replicant kills replicants and fucks a girl that is a replicant.
Fixed

This. Its got some huge themes (what does it mean to be human), but its a very simple plot. There also isn't a lot of mystery either for what's supposed to be, at least in part, a noire type detective story.
I love the movie, and all 800 edits of it, but when people say they don't like it I absolutely understand why they might have a problem with it.

Great post. Here's my response.

Deckard isn't a replicant, Ridley please go

If Deckard is a replicant that means you support retcons that makes no sense.

/thread

Quotable, beautiful, unremarkable as mystery/noir.

Nostalgia goggles. It's a sci-fi movie with Harrison Ford in it. If it makes you feel better, it wasn't popular when it came out.

>but its a very simple plot
I don't really see why that bothers people. Most great movies have a pretty simple plot. Blade Runner's complexity is in its themes and its characters.

When I first watched it as a kid, it blew my mind when during the final battle the villain just decides to stop, saves the hero from certain death then chills out and talks about life.

Is there any other movie where the villain, not antagonist but villain, is actually a better man than the hero?

I'm so glad 2049 blew this retarded idea out. Making Deckard a replicant is an m night shamalan tier twist that misses the entire point of the film.

harry potter unironically

DECKARD IS REPLICANT AND K ISN'T GET IT IT'S ALL RUSE GUISE :D

>Blade Runner's complexity is in its themes and its characters.
Which fly over the heads of most normalfags.
I mean it's a bit of a problem for me too, but the rest of the movie so heavily out weighs it that it doesn't ruin the movie.
I think it could have benefitted from a bit more of involved an involved mystery story with complications, lies, and double crosses. Hell I think do androids dream... did it better. The replicant police station for example.

Maybe for you, but that's a non-criticism.

It's not a criticism dingus, I was elaborating on a point.