‘Aquaman’ & ‘Justice League’ Writer Will Beall Talks Tone Of Both Films

Beall teased the tone and scope of Aquaman while praising director James Wan’s approach to the film.

>"It’s going to be fun, it’s going to be really fun. What we’ve come up with and James [Wan] especially — he has a really clear idea of the tone he’s going to have, and I think Aquaman is one that’s going to blow people’s minds, not just visually, but I think the story and the scope of it is really great."

>“I think Justice League again is, what you’re going to see — I hope I’m not going to get in trouble for saying this — but it’s much more fun, much poppier, than … I haven’t seen Wonder Woman yet, but Batman vs Superman was a little more somber. But Justice League is a lot more fun. And I think that feels to me like the direction those movies are heading now."

heroichollywood.com/aquaman-justice-league-beall/

FUN
FUN
FUN
FUN
SO FUN, GOOD
WAY TOO MUCH FUN UP IN HERE
SERIOUSLY, SO MUCH FUN
DID I SAY 'FUN'?
FUN

Hell yeah fuck fun we don't want that shit here

>We want the Marvel audience. We want them so bad.

GODDAMMIT IT'S JUST SO MUCH FUN

>W...we can be like Marvel too! See? FUN!

If I cut off the fun in the edit room, would this tank?

ah yes the old Star Trek Beyond

>people didn't like the last one because it was too dark and serious make it more like Marvel

I'm scared by how many times fun was said

These guys just can't win.

>Make dark movie
>People talk shit about it
>Try to make fun movie instead
>People talk shit about it

Beyond was good though

They just don't understand that BAD movies will always have shit thrown at them

It's not about tone, it's about being bad.

Well the latter wouldn't have been happening if they weren't on such a "we're darker" kick in the beginning. FUCK MARVEL didn't help either

I watched Beyond while falling asleep and I thought it was great

either of these angles would be fine if the movies were actually good

Yeah it was much better than Into Darkness. That was embarassing.

I'm still pissed at Into Darkness

ST09 wasn't so bad. It was a good enough leaping off point for the new franchise
But man, JJ dropped the ball fucking hard.
It was just shit on so many levels. The basic plot, the "It's not Khan" lies, Kirk and Spock's forced friendship, Khan's magic blood, the interstellar teleporter.

Kinda beating us over the head, aren't they?

Meanwhile Affleck was on Late Night and said "I'm totally still directing Batman. Really. Everything is fine. Eat your Soylent Green."

How about you make a good movie? Dark, light, it doesn't matter if it's good.

>It'll be fun

Yeah, about that...

>How credible are your sources
>Very

This was the same guy who accurately described the shit show that was Suey Psy SKWAD

That guy has been right about everything in the DCEU so far

Who is he anyway and what did he say?

Batman vs Superman was a fucking slog, at least the marvel movies have some interesting shit to look at.

Okay I'll bite, what do you want?>It's not about tone, it's about being bad.
>would be fine if the movies were actually good
>it doesn't matter if it's good.
Even if the movie was good it will be shat on regardless

>Even if the movie was good it will be shat on regardless
How do you reckon that?

He watched the early cut of SUICIDE SQUAD (which he claimed was "amazing") and accurately described all the changes caused by the reshoots.

it will be fun to see the Snyderistas scream that Marvel ruined their capekino by making the studios demand more quips.

if a movie gets shat on that means it isn't good

I know that's hard for you to grasp

That picture is about the SUICIDE SQUAD movie and the guy explaining how the movie turned out after the changes that was done to it.

It has nothing to do with the JUSTICE LEAGUE movie.

it's like the old "how's it going" "great, great, you know, really... great." schtick. The more you tell me you're doing great the more suicidal i think you are.

"Fun, fun, you know, really fun." I'm getting "we literally just laugh on set because we have no clue what the fuck we're doing at this point and could all be crying."

>9 January 2017

On one hand: DC movies have been dogshit.
On the other: James Wan has a very good track record.

I'm conflicted.

>explaining the changes in SKWAD
>in January 2017
m8

>9 jan 2017
fucking moron

>Even if the movie was good it will be shat on regardless
Not really

>That picture is about the SUICIDE SQUAD movie
You know we can see dates and look this up ourselves to know he's talking about Justice League right?

Do you think we're retarded?

>if a movie gets shat on that means it isn't good
"Critics are always correct"

Even if the movie was good expect

"copied marvel lol"

"not muh X"

I wonder how "FIRE SNYDER" has never crossed their monds

09=Beyond>>>>>>>>dogshit>>>>>>Into Darkness

>"Critics are always correct"
they haven't been wrong yet

I can only imagine he has some iron tight contract for a million DCEU movies

Filming for JL started literally days after BvS came out, so it was already too late.

Oh God, it is going to be a total mess isn't it?
You saw how badly WB/DC reacted to BvS being panned by their butchering of Suicide Squad

I can only imagine what they did as a kneejerk reaction

Nothing, yet. Once filming is done? Chop chop chop.

>this
>WB attempts to uses their edgey realism from the Nolan movies by getting Zack Snyder and his pretentiousness to direct MoS
>evryone hates it becuse it's not like the Avengers and it dosen't look colorful
>suits re brightened, quips are added, Zack's pretentiousnes is still kept to appeal to Nolanfags where as Suicde Squad is given to Ayer so he cans appeal to edgy teenagers and Harleyfags
>people still complain about the lack of fun of BvS and Harleyfags end up hating SuicideSquad
>WB says fuck it and slapp Zack's wrist and buts Ben as the Exective producer of JUSTisce league. More fun is added. More Quips are added
>everyone complains that it's too fun ad they are copying off Marvel
Doesn't matter since capeshit is cancer. The last really good Capeshit was Captain America 1.

Also it all hubs around his wife's production companies.

>bleak bluegrey smokey JL image finally released.
>WW movie shaping up to be blue and lensflarekino

THIS LOOKS FUN GUYS. ..

SO FUN
IT'S JUST GOING TO BE SO FUN

It's not that it's not "fun" it's just that it's so fucking bleak which plays counter to one of the movies primary leads.

Superman isn't bleak, he's full of optimism and hope. He'd come to Batman sternly as he's bringing bad vibes to his city but he'd not come off so unhinged.

The hearing would have been a great setting to show who Superman is. But instead we get a piss joke and the destruction of the captial building and a pretty lackluster response to such an act.

A room full of innocents just died and Superman looks like he just smelled a fart.

I want good DC films. But we're not getting those at all.

So much fun they're gonna have to cram it down our fucking throats!

This is the mentality of a 2-year-old who will be entranced by anything as long as it has pretty colors.

I guess there's truly no mistaking the audience Marvel is shooting for, though.

>The hearing would have been a great setting to show who Superman is.
How? Some kind of belabored speech that reads like a character sketch? I didn't need to hear that. It's pretty apparent that Superman is trying to help. The hearing wasn't about deciding whether or not Superman was good or bad, but how to hold him accountable and make sure he acts in the best interests of people without inciting conflict.

The courtroom scene served to show how unhinged and vindictive Lex was, more than anything. He set off that bomb to fuel Batman's hatred for Superman, to sow distaste for Superman in the public eye, to kill Senator Finch, to cover up his involvement in the Africa affair which she had just learned about, and the fact that he didn't give a shit about his own secretary was icing on the cake. The courtroom scene was not about Superman. It was about Lex.

I agree, a bit of talking from Superman would have served some purpose there, and maybe would have helped the film seem a little more friendly, but ultimately it would have just been fanservice. I don't need Superman to monologue to know what he's about. Actions speak louder than words. Superman's moment of redemption came during the Doomsday fight.

>evryone hates it becuse it's not like the Avengers and it dosen't look colorful
kill yourself

Just because that is the most easily vocalized reason doesn't mean it is the primary reason. Man of Steel was a terrible film. It had a bad script, fucked editing, and boring action.

>people still complain about a lack of fun in BvS
And that the movie made no motherfucking sense, and that it was way too long, and that it was ridiculously brutal, and that it had the worst Lex Luthor anyone had ever seen, etc., etc.

>Suicide Squad
If you legitimately think anyone should like Suicide Squad I wonder how you fucking dress yourself. Squad has the most egregiously terrible editing I've ever seen outside of low-budget VHS'

You know what Marvel has that DC needs? Decent fucking scripts.

>this entire post
pic related
>Superman's moment of redemption came during the Doomsday fight.
lol wat

>waiting to decide the tone of a movie during editing

DC keeps pouring money into movies, realizing they fucked up, and then just throwing MORE money at it to fix it while they overlook glaring problems in the next project they're rushing through planning

They've been desperately trying to catch up to Marvel and that attempt to do things too quickly has repeatedly fucked them in the ass

It's also quite clear that no one at DC gives a flying fuck about scripts. Directing sure, editing absolutely, but they couldn't give a monkey fuck about the scripts for these billion dollar movies.

Instead Superman walks in looking constipated, is ground zero for an enormous piss explosion, and walks out looking even more constipated.

Meanwhile, law enforcement has to stand around and watch him fiddle with the bodies, because the sum total of America's military might couldn't prevent him from so much as walking across the street.
Which puts the entire point of the Senate hearing into question; it's like Congress having a special session to decide whether Uranus can be allowed to continue orbiting the Sun.

Truly a defining moment for the Man of Steel.

>nd then just throwing MORE money at it to fix it

Signs point to them putting out their 2017 stuff and punting to Batman Universe, potentially with Batman #6.

I think WW and JL will finally prove to them that their "superhero creative leads" just don't have the Right Stuff.

Are you having fun yet? Hey, are you? Are you?

Fun

IT WILL BE SO FUN YOU'RE GOING TO FEEL DEPRESSED THAT YOUR LIFE CAN'T BE AS FUN AS THIS MOVIE

What's the matter? Still stubbornly refusing to judge the film subjectively?

Yes, Superman's moment of redemption came when, even after being criticized, demonized, and generally seeing the worst humanity had to offer and being made to feel guilty for it, he still gave his life for those people. His death humanized him to the world, and without any need for a stuffy speech, the world now completely understood what Superman stood for.

>the sum total of America's military might couldn't prevent him from so much as walking across the street.
>Which puts the entire point of the Senate hearing into question; it's like Congress having a special session to decide whether Uranus can be allowed to continue orbiting the Sun.
You're missing the extremely obvious point, just like everyone who hates BvS. The government knows Superman means well. They know he is on their side. The problem is that his actions have long-reaching and unforeseen consequences. Superman has been acting completely independently, based on his own judgement, and while his intentions have been for the best, the government understands that everything he does is like ripples on the surface of water. I assume you were also baffled by the meaning of Pa Kent's speech, then.

The fact is, if the government decided that Superman could no longer interfere with any situation before there being a federal/global decision made, then they would tell him so, expecting him to at least consider their decision. Yes, he would not have to listen at all, but for the legal process to just jump to that conclusion and say "well fuck it, let's let him keep acting without being held accountable" is retardation on a gigantic level.

Why do people trying to defend Man of Steel and Batman v Superman defend these strange alternate-universe versions of the movies

>you just don't get it, an entire film's worth of conveyance happened offscreen
headcanon and internal consistency are not proper arguments when talking about problems in works fiction

This is why discussion about these movies never work.

Denial is not only a river in Egypt, it's apparently a pocket dream dimension where everything you are a fanboy of is flawlessly wonderful.

All of this is in the movie, or is so analogous to the themes and events in the movie that it should be easily apparent. Name something I talked about that isn't actually a part of the movie.

>All of this is in the movie
nope
>or is so analogous to the themes and events in the movie that it should be easily apparent
that's not how film works, buck-o

>name something I talked about that isn't actually a part of the movie
The entirety of your fabricated theme revolving around the army's interpretation of Superman's will and impact.

One of the biggest disappointments about this entire endeavor is wasting a solid Batman. Granted the death and destruction left in his wake isnt great, but thats a script problem. Ben really tried with this and it sucks to see him struggle with whats given

He isn't really that good. All the praise is how "he looks like Batman" and "how he fights like Batman". When people are praising the costume over the actor, things aren't going too well.

Ultimately he did nothing that Jon Hamm or Josh Brolin couldn't have.

I suppose thats fair. I guess I was enamored by the fact that we FINALLY got the right blend of realism/comicbooky fiction in a live action Batman. Perhaps under better direction, Ben might have done more.

Yeah user, it's not because of the omnipresent Lois Lane, or because it's never explained why is Superman traveling through the world (or just america?) on the beginning of the movie, or because Johnatan is killed by a fucking tornado, or because of that boring DBZ-esque fight that lasted for like, 40 minutes only to end with an anti-climatic snapped neck.

No, it was just Avengers fault, amirite?

Except the government and media are constantly discussing it. Almost every scene with senator Finch and the African woman revolve around discussing the conflict that results from Superman's actions. It is the main fucking theme of the conflict between superman and the government. I was going to say the army never explicitly says anything, but the army isn't even a part of the plot. We're only talking about them because that one user said they couldn't stop Superman if they wanted to, which is irrelevant.

But is it fun?

I don't think he said if it's fun or not in this article.

Yeah, they never once used that word.

Kinda funny, really.

Christ DC...

And when the dust settles not a single lesson will be learned by this movie studio or the rest of the industry they'll just keep looking at everything Disney is doing right and try to emulate it on the most superficial level. Rather than trying to actually understand why something worked they just want to try and find the simplest formula possible to replicate it in a manner which conforms to their preconceptions of how profitable movies are made.

Fox is still making cape movies like they were in the early 00s, utterly embarrassed by the source material. WB first tried to emulate the 00s Vertigo Graphic Novel adaptations/Nolan Batman grimdark aesthetic and are now scrambling desperately to find some other tone for their movies that conforms to their narrow understanding of movie making all the while clumsily chasing the promise of Avengers box office buckeroos. At least Sony was smart enough to just fucking team up with Marvel/Disney, which is odd considering they're arguably the most backwards retarded of the big four cape studios.

But Beyond was the best NuTrek movie by far

They haven't earned respect yet, if the movie turns out good, people will react accordingly.

But until then, they've made 3 horrible stinkers, and they'll be mocked accordingly.

God, I am hyped for Aquaman.

JL will probably be shit though.

His theme song will be Kid Rock's "American Bad-Ass"

Fuck you.

I hope they really do give him a memorable, adventurous-sounding theme though. Something that were genuinely cool.

Calling it now: Aquaman will be the first genuinely good movie of the DCEU.

For me Aquaman looks too tryhard. Not to mention hes probably more "fuck land dwellers" rather than "king pulled between two worlds" kind of thing unfortunately

They won't know. They probably think the Justice League is in Marvel. I will welcome the normies with open arms, as I put my faith in Snyder and his ability to make stealth kino.

Snyder's Aquaman, probably.

Wan's Aquaman won't be so tryhard. I hope.

Every movie they have released has been good. People will hate it no matter what. It's like the meme where you rate all women as "0/10 would not bang" and find reasons to do it after the fact.

But thats the thing user, Wan has to build off of whatever Snyder establishes

>Every movie they have released has been good.

Not according to the public and the critic.

>if a movie gets shat on that means it isn't good
I guess Hunchback of Notre Dame was a big fat mistake then and Age of Ultron was a masterpiece.

David Ayer didn't build off of THAT much of what Snyder established.

Who cares what they say? It's good and you can tell by evaluating the movies based on their own merits.

Yeah because it didnt need to, all that needed was Supermans death and Batman searching for other League members to remain connected. Aquaman however is being established, as well as Atlantis, Mera, and Vulko. Hes a prominent part of JL and Wan will have to be slave to whatever occurs in it sadly

Then why even come onto this image board to talk about it if you're content to live in your own little self-contained fantasy land?

>Not to mention hes probably more "fuck land dwellers" rather than "king pulled between two worlds" kind of thing unfortunately
Right. Because they just made him Namor.

Why do people trying to attack Man of Steel and Batman v Superman attack these strange alternate-universe versions of the movies?

>I guess Hunchback of Notre Dame was a big fat mistake
Correct
>Age of Ultron was a masterpiece
Age of Ultron gets the shit it deserves to get.

Im actually more mad about this now. All they literally had to do, was look at New52 Johns Aquaman

Every fucking interview it's funfunfun. Snyder fucked things up beyond parody.