Is Rango the best animated film of the 2010s so far?

Is Rango the best animated film of the 2010s so far?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7nMo8duNJNU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Do you know how they make it through each and every day? They believe. They believe it's going to be better. They believe that the water will come. They believe against all odds, and all evidence, that tomorrow will be better than today. People have to believe in something.

Yes, it is definitely the best of the decade, and will likely hold on to the title during the next 3 years.

Yes

Yup.

Definitely very, very good, but some of its more juvenile moments really ruin the tone for me. It's like the gargoyles in Hunchback of Notre Dame or B.E.N. in Treasure Planet, the comic relief should have been relieved. Especially since it's organically funnier by itself.

Rango, ParaNorman, Wreck-It Ralph, and The Lego Movie are holding all the top spots for this decade. Zootopia was good too but not on the same level. Not nearly.

Haven't gotten around to seeing Kubo, though but literally WHO HAS

Do you mean the owls or something else?

>CGI

No.

You also forgot about the Tintin movie from Spielberg.

No, it isn't.

But it is a great film.

Good taste user. My older sister and I dragged our 12 year old brother and her friend to the theater to see it. Fucking amazing on the big screen. Laika doesn't need the views to keep running, but seeing that level of craft on a big screen was unforgettable. The story isn't perfect, but visually it's one of the best movies I've ever seen. Do yourself a favor and see Kubo.

Kubo is a brilliantly realized film but the writing is mediocre at best. Also, they made me hate Matthew McConaughey. His character could have been great if they'd let an actual Asian fellow voice him or at the very least someone who has literally anything but a southern accent.

yes
even my dad (who hates animation) likes it

>deus ex machina plants come to life and show Rango exactly where to go

Nah, movie is overrated shit by furfags/scalies

Paranorman was great but Rango was just better. Better acted, better designed, better written, and better animated.

That part always bothered me, too.

I really didn't like it. The rattlesnake, however, is probably the most badass "villain" (if you can even call him that) in the last decade of animation.

>>deus ex machina plants come to life and show Rango exactly where to go

>Better written

No.

I will concede on some of those other points, though.

And holy shit, was the art ugly in that movie. From characters to scenery. I'm not usually an art/graphics stiff but I just couldn't get over it.

It's not deus ex machina though. It is foreshadowed the first time he enters the desert, during his nightmare scene they move/transform and are shown with a face. Then later on in the film there is a whole conversation about the trees walking to find the water. Sorry, but you are incorrectly stating that the trees are a new element that comes out of nowhere. Maybe you should watch it again and pay more attention.

The Man With No Name being the Spirit Of The West was brilliant.

Maybe you should suck my sphincter.

The CGI art is probably the best in all animation. As expected, this film was produced by Industrial Light & Magic, who have been at the forefront of computer effects since the beginning. If you are bothered by the fact that everything is stylistically designed to be scruffy or rough, that isn't the fault of the movie. Maybe you are just adjusted to the art of every other animated film that is supposed to look "pretty"?

Maybe you should.

The fact that the art was ugly is one of the reasons that I like it so much. It was a bold look and it's unique in a market saturated with adorable animal characters.

I need to watch this movie again.

That beetle was hot because of him

femanon, plz.

>"Hello, brrrrother. Thirsty?"
>gives him a glass of venom
Metal as fuck

I already did while this thread was up.

Saw Kubo, but seeing Princess Kaguya right before it really didn't help. It's still good, but juat not as good as kaguya. That and it has one gaping plothole that kinda pulled me out of the experience.

its said that its inspired but El Topo but i've seen both numerous times and there isnt a shred of similarity between the two.

>wreck-it ralph

The first half is literally a generic video game parody that hamfists in shitty references just to appeal to gamers and then the second half sits in some barely relevant kart racer and tells more of a story about a separate character.

I really feel like I'm missing something about this movie.

just watching it for the first time, really decent movie.

It's really good. Princess Kaguya was probably my favorite so far unless I'm forgetting something.
It would be awesome if they made a redwall movie with similar art

I just wish it wasn't marketed as a kids cartoon. The movie was clearly more adult oriented.

>Rango
That's not how you spell Inside Out, OP.

>girls
>on a mongolian knitting forum

>It would be awesome if they made a redwall movie with similar art

Alas, there will likely never be another ILM movie for a long time. Especially now that Disney owns them, after their acquisition of Star Wars. I'm going to assume Disney doesn't like guns, smoking or drinking in their animated movies. Not since the 1930's anyway.

Yeah, all those spaghetti western references

Only if you judge it against animation that is in english. If you actually include foreign films then I'm sure there's better animated movies.

>a redwall movie
I fear the monkey's paw effect too much to wish for a Redwall movie.

Holy shit there's a rango art book?

Fuckin ordered.

Well, I haven't seen any animated film, western or not, from this decade, that I would consider superior to Rango. In fact, Rango honestly makes the competition seem dull and unambitious in just about every aspect.

This is still one of my favorite scenes in all of animation.

youtu.be/7nMo8duNJNU

>"Beautiful isn't it."
>"Yeah... it is."

>Rango honestly makes the competition seem dull and unambitious in just about every aspect.
I don't know, the CGI for Zootopia is pretty fuckin' tops. I mean, hi-def pictures of the characters fur look fucking real.

The art is easily the best thing about Zootopia. The rest of the film is alright, but I'm not nearly into as much as "those" types.

OFFICIAL 2010s ANIMATED MOVIES TIER LIST
GOD TIER:
Rango, Lego Movie, Zootopia

HIGH TIER:
Wreck-It Ralph, Inside Out, Frozen, Toy Story 3, The Princess and the Frog. Paranorman, Kubo and the Two Strings

MID TIER:
Monsters U, Brave, most of Dreamwork's stuff, Despicable Me movies, Winnie the Pooh, Finding Dory

SHIT TIER:
The Lorax, The Smurfs movies (if those count), Cars 2, whatever else I forgot

Only thing I disagree on is Princess and the Frog being High Tier. I know it was the last hand drawn, but aside from the villain it really is a mediocre movie.

>Rango was 7 years ago
>Still no CGI movie that comes even close to looking this good

zootopia should be high at best

>Wreck-It Ralph

Why does this movie get so much praise? Put that in mid tier at best, bordering on shit. Not sure about Zootopia being god tier either. Kung Fu Panda 2 has more of a claim to that.

I didn't like it either. I think what we're not getting is just how many otherwise intelligent and tasteful individuals are inexplicably swayed by this part

>hamfists in shitty references just to appeal to gamers

>it has one gaping plothole that kinda pulled me out of the experience.

Mind elaborating on that for us dumb-dumbs?

Moon people aren't suppose to have emotions yet throughout the movie they express emotion. Mostly anger, because they needed to be obvious bad guys. Would have been more interesting if they figured out a way to make them passive, but I'll forgive it a little since it did give us some good stop motion action sequences.

Yes.

>Moon people aren't suppose to have emotions yet throughout the movie they express emotion.

That's just them being hypocrites and/or not having perfect self-restraint. It's not a plot hole.

The Illusionist came out in 2010 so no. Rango is still pretty good.

I haven't seen this movie, but I've heard it can be pretty mature and the animation style is quite impressive. What am I in for?

I thought that it wasn't that Moon people didn't have emotions but that they weren't supposed to care about humanity. The Moon king wanted Kubo's eyes because it would blind him from humanity.

do stop motion count?

Out all the six or so movies where animals work together to get water that was Stolen it is in the top 3.
I didn't really see anything that great about it. Plus the plot had been done so many times, the western setting didn't really help.

Some of the characters looked pretty cool, except for that one love interest that had the Human lips, that was creepy.

kinda pissed nobody mention this

especially you

Wait, Rango came out in the last seven years? I actually thought it was from late noughties.

Stop motion is animation, so sure.

I liked it but Lego Movie is better

Ya'll better not be talking shit about best lizard waifu of the decade.

It was legitimately different than your standard Pixar/Disney shit and so beautifully detailed. I don't think it was a great movie but I really appreciate it for being it's own thing

then Anomalisa.

>you're in the club and this nigga slaps yo girl's ass

what do, Sup Forums?

she's a top-tier waifu without actually being pretty. That's how you know you've created a character with genuine personality folks

T H A N K Y O U..

Fault of the writing, but I think what they really meant was that the Moon people, being almighty as they are, lacked the need for empathy and compassion.