So, whats the big deal about Moore's Swamp Thing? Its supossedly the best mature capeshit hero run ever and whatnot...

So, whats the big deal about Moore's Swamp Thing? Its supossedly the best mature capeshit hero run ever and whatnot, but its suprisingly never EVER discussed here on Sup Forums. Is it that good? What themes and arc does it envolve? And since its a Moore comics, it does have a rape scene right

It's a fantastic horror comic and tells an amazing love story between a being of moss and a woman. among other things. I read it for the first time last year and it lives up to the hype

>it does have a rape scene right

Swampy gets raped by a planet near the end of the run

Moore took a c-list character who had a stellar original run and completely reworked the entire core concept. Man who thought he was turned into a vegetable finds out he was just a vegetable dreaming he was a man. Learns to expand the scope of his powers as he finds out what he really is, falls in love, goes to hell, has psychedelic vegetable sex, saves the universe just after Crisis on Infinite Earths, beats up Batman, dies, is reborn on an alien world, gets raped by a spaceship, comes home. The underutilized and ignored magical side of the DCU got a massive boost, and a certain blonde Liverpudlian magician/wanker made his first appearance. It helped lay the groundwork for the Vertigo imprint, it single-handedly inspired Neil Gaiman to get back into comic books, forever defined the character for every run that came after it, it was at the spearhead of the British Invasion of American comics. And after all these years it's still a bloody good horror comic.

it is literally so good that there is nothing to talk about other than "yeah it's pretty dang good man"

Pretty much. This is the same thread that people keep making about Sandman.

Swamp Thing gets raped by a floating robot in space. It's retarded.

The "romance" crap is also horrible.

The rest of the run is awesome though.

>best mature capeshit hero run ever

OP... this is a horror comic.

Just because it happens in the DC universe and Swamp Thing interacts with a couple of superheroes it doesn't automatically make it a superhero comic.

Favourite arc has to be the one about Roots like film getyinf shot on haunted ground.

OP here, thanks for the explanation, user! It sure got me hyped. Im familiar with Moore's work but never got the chance to actually read Swamp Thing.

It has the most brilliant rape scene in all of comic history.
Some kind user storytimed it recently. Check the archive- it's seriously fantastic. I didn't love it right away- but after the John Constantine arc it became my favorite series of comics ever.

It's a top 5 superhero comic run and a top 5 horror comic run. It loses momentum as it goes on, but the first 20 issues or so (and the annuals) are all-time classics. He basically created the Vertigo template that birthed some of the finest American comics ever.

>Its supossedly the best mature capeshit hero run ever and whatnot, but its suprisingly never EVER discussed here on Sup Forums..... it does have a rape scene right

You answered your own question.

>So, whats the big deal about Moore's Swamp Thing?
It was the first legit Horror comic that was published by DC in nearly a decade that was doing well. It was also the first mainstream Horror comic since EC's Horror comcis that was actually scary.

>Its supossedly the best mature capeshit hero run ever and whatnot, but its suprisingly never EVER discussed here on Sup Forums. Is it that good?
It's very loosely a superhero comic. Swamp-Thing kind of boarders the threshold beetween, horror, super, suspense and sci-fi. Moore took full advantage of that and did all kinds of stories ranging from sci-fi epics featuring Adam Strange, to full Dante's Inferno with Etrigan and The Phantom Stranger, to just plain down to earth stories about racism and whatnot.

>What themes and arc does it envolve?
The first volume is a re-introduction and a retcon of Swampy's origin, giving him a new motivation and opening up doors at to the kinds of stories that could be told.

The "American Gothic" storyline was about Moore using different horror tropes as symbolism for "real" horrors in America. Nukeface is a statement on the drunken carefree attitude people have about nuclear waste. There was one issue about a woman who turned into a werewolf when she was on her period and it was intercut with her facing sexism and a framing narrative about Native American Tribes isolating menstruating women to a certain hut.

>Darth Vader
u wot

He wrote some Star Wars and Doctor Who backup strips early on (hence the Cyberman standing next to Darth)

that's pretty neat-o

Only Alan Moore could write a PMS werewolf and not make me think it's hilarious.

best "American Gothic" issue

Except for the woodrue arc, I found the first half to be uninspired and uncreative; Not bad, but just uninspired. It contained your average horror stories, albeit good, and with a twist in themes and narrative. It had some good ideas splattered here and there, and the one and two issue arcs were better than the longer ones like return of Arcane and Monkey King ones. It gets better when American Gothic starts and it really takes off from that issue where Swampy visits the parliament. The later half was much better than the first.

The Boogeyman issue was my favourite.

>mfw Anatomy Lesson
Being Alec(?) is suffering.

Being Matthew Cable is suffering

It's well written, beautifully drawn and it keeps going places you wouldn't expect.
There's not really much to talk about since nobody hates it. Now Bob, let me tell you about Pennsylvania.

>The Boogeyman issue
How did that reporter in Sandman know The Boogeyman was dead? How did anyone know he was dead?
>get tortured
>go insane
>at least I've got a hot wife and psychic powers
>car crash
>oh shit, gonna die
>possessed by evil wizardman
>save wife's life
>in a vegetative state
>wife is having sex with an actual vegetable
>body loses weight so much wedding ring slips off
>wife thinks that means you're okay with her fucking a vegetable
>die
>reborn as a bird
>have to put up with Dream's mood-swings
I do not envy him.

>die
>reborn as a bird
>have to put up with Dream's mood-swings

OOOOHHHHH FUCK I NEVER MADE THE CONNECTION

I think it would be fun to be a servant for Dream.
That is until Dream fucks everything up in Brief Lives.

>I think it would be fun to be a servant for Dream
You go ask Merv how much fun it is. Regular Joe's don't get no respect around here.

>It has the most brilliant rape scene in all of comic history.

The organic spaceship one? Or the one with Abbie and Arcane?

Quick reminder that the first two comics Neil Gaiman ever wrote were pure fanfic based on this run.

And it's romantic