/SIG/ - Self-Improvement General

These threads seem to pop up from time to time and it seems relevant given how jaded everyone here (including myself) is.

Exchange ideas and strategies to become better and now wallow in your own filth.

not*

eat your vegetables

Work yourself up to the necessary state of self-discipline to achieve personal goals. It starts with small steps. Really the start of anything positive begins with positive thinking. A lot of anons are very, very, very hateful and berating towards themselves when they have no reason to be. If there's any page we can take from the Tumblrina's notebook, it's that self-care is crucial and begins by replacing negative thoughts about yourself with positive ones.

Eat your bell pepes ;^)

>A lot of anons are very, very, very hateful and berating towards themselves when they have no reason to be.

Right here is my problem. I can't help it, my default is self-loathing.

How the fuck does one go against their default state?

It's definitely not easy, I'm still struggling with it, but I'm better about it now than I was a few months ago, and better a few months ago than I was years ago.

Like I said, steps, right? The first stage is realizing it's a bad habit that you want to stop. The next stage is catching yourself doing it. Like any other bad habit, you get a lot of power back in your own hands when you realize you're doing it, like biting your nails or chewing loudly or something. Transition it from an unconscious part of your life to a conscious one, because you control the conscious. Don't even worry too much about stopping the thoughts just yet, worry about catching yourself having them. From there, you can turn it into something positive, or if not positive, at least something constructive.

>catching yourself doing it

So more or less being aware of mental states? Sounds hard as they can just creep up but I'll keep this in mind.

That is not your default state. It is the state that was beaten out of you as a child and replaced with a servile one. Recognize that each negative thought is your enemy and that you have to kill it. You can even literally picture it in your thoughts as a dragon, Muslim, Tumblrina, or other creatures which are evil by nature and that you have a duty to slay. And then picture yourself killing it. Or you can work on clearing your mind of all thoughts when they become negative. Or a very similar method is to "push" your thoughts away and picture in your mind an impenetrable iron wall separating you from them.

As in, the state you want is the one that was beaten out of you.

I never even thought about it as a state. For me, the thoughts creep up just about all the time, no matter whether I'm happy, sad, occupied, mad, whatever, so I catch myself having the thoughts and move on from there. What's it like for you?

Meditate. Seriously, look into it. I know it sounds gay and New Age but it's actually a remarkably beneficial practice. There have been modern brain studies that back up the benefits of it. It helped me in so many ways.

I recommend Mindfulness in Plain English and Evola's book The Doctrine of Awakening.

>Sup Forums is a Christian board!

Christians meditate too. Google "Hesychasm."

Don't underestimate the power of meditation anons

Actually make it a daily habit, even 10 minutes makes a big difference

Its just like working out the more you are consistent with it the more benefits and results you get

Close both eyes and imagine there is a flame burning in the middle of your forehead, feel that? Its your 3rd eye

Heck

Best time of the day for this?

I'll try this out.

Like you they creep up on me but I don't catch them until quite a bit of time has passed, usually because I'm distracted.

In the morning for me, like, as soon as I get up. Just sit up in bed and clear your mind. Helps set the mood for the rest of the day.

Anyone here trying to raise their spiritual power level? Or are you all either gaytheists or christ-cucks?

Fuck, I'm such a tired mess when I wake up. I'll attempt this, though.

I had been NEET since highschool and before, started working a month ago and already I am outgoing enough and dont really have much anxiety

Its feeling good, I have been offered a promotion, enjoying the money and the freedom

NEETs dont know that when you work, work becomes like a second NEET home, you just get creative with more ways to stay entertained

You can do it whenever you want. Just avoid doing it when you're really tired, like late at night. You're not trying to enter a trance-like state or day dream or fall asleep. Those things are likely to happen when you're tired. As

Said, I think morning is best.

>going to social event tomorrow, likely with lots of girls my age
How can I talk to cute girls without looking like an autist, Sup Forums?
This no gf feel is really starting to grind on me

It only works for me at night as a transition state between waking and dream

The morning is generally about coffee, children crying and needing to be somewhere. I don't fucking know any responsible human who ever has free time in the morning.

study all the maths that are out there in the world just because muh dick. Read literature. Run for stamina and do gymnastics for balance.

(no gay, gymnastics like walking on your hands are serious acts of discipline and concentration)

It will make you fucking powerful

Self improvement is masturbation.

Channel the hatred.

Take any energy that comes through the current and use it to blast away the obstacles.

If you can't love strength,

HATE WEAKNESS
A
T
E

W
E
A
K
N
E
S
S

To be honest, I feel like a large step for my self-improvement would be to quit Sup Forums. I end up procrastinating and staying up all night because of my bad Sup Forums habits, and I feel like this site also mentally exhausts me, fucks with my attention span, and speeds up my perception of time so that time moves way too fast for me.

It won't even need to take ten minutes. You can work your way up when you're ready, but even taking like two minutes to just empty your head, stare at a blank point in your mind and head on into the day can make a huge difference.

I get the creeping up part. If they're that good at sneaking up on you, and like, you're in the mood before you recognize the thoughts, it could help to track down the feelings to the thoughts. Whenever you're feeling shitty out of the blue, imagine yourself mentally taking a step back and evaluating things, not unlike looking at the contents in a room. That puts you in the frame of mind to become more self-ware and start catching shitty thoughts.

>Quit Drinking
>Quit using Drugs
>Got a Job
>Eating better
Now I need to work on my exercise/fitness and finding new hobbies... the hardest of the lot

Howard Stern and other superjew Jerry Seinfeld swear by meditation.

They claim they wouldn't have been able to put in 14hrs days for years on end manic producing their shows unless they took time to meditate. Seinfeld did it in his car for lunch break, and after, Stern does it immediatley after his show.

They both claim it's like getting a few hours sleep and are full of energy again with no anxiety

But you just got trips.

That aside I've had similar thoughts, but I'm leaning towards just controlling/changing how you use it. IE, keep one tab open at a time. Deep down I like being here, but I get exactly what you mean.

I've gotten decent at pinpointing events in the day that have led to poor moods.

does playing the new wow expansion 16 hours a day count?

its kept me off here for the most part so thats a net positive right?

It's replacing a bowl of shit with a box of shit. Still a shit habit.

But as long as you're happier more power to you.

Even better, try to keep mindful around those events and watch for patterns that lead to bad spirals. Things'll get better, user.

>keep one tab open at a time. Deep down I like being here, but I get exactly what you mean.

The problem is that I wouldn't be able to stick to that at all, and I feel that cold turkey is the only way to go.

Disable the internet browser on your smart phone. Only turn it on when you REALLY need it to look up directions or something.

I started doing this about a month ago and now I waste way less time. If you don't have a smart phone or use it reasonably, good for you, but if you stare at it for hours a day, do yourself a favor and go a week without looking at it for anything besides emails/phone calls.

Also wake up early and go jogging if you live somewhere where it's possible to do. Started doing this a few days ago and it feels great. When you get home and can get a shower/have breakfast having already gotten exercise, you just feel good all day.

Have a good day/night, friends.

look up RSD on youtube.

Who?

Real Social Dynamics. Or you can read the book "The Game", but that is all old school tactics of pickup

Working out has been such a fucking boost to both my health and morale. I feel better and stronger both physically and mentally. I'm in to a four-day routine, working out Monday, wendsday, Friday, and Saturday, regardless of if I went to work or not. I started with a single set of ten push-ups a night, and I'm now at 100 push-ups, 100 squats, 100 sit-ups, and another 100 squats. I've almost got visible abs now, and my next goal is to start working on my shitty posture.

I assume you needs have seen the last air bender before. You are uncle iroh, and you room is your prison. You workout in your cell every day, and you will escape. The routine part is the hardest part, but forcing yourself to maintain it will improve you will power too. Pic very related.

I browse pol on a Google nexus 5 Android smartphone. Should I stop it?

Been working on:
>slightly better hygiene
>slightly better relationships with family
>saving relatively good amounts money
>being more focused and productive at work

Considering working on/long term:
>getting apartment
>getting car
>developing skills/getting non-awful job
>acquire newer/better friends and gf (old friends all split, feels bad)
>get a little /fit/
>fix shitty disgusting hair/beard
>drink less
>investing/debt reduction
>better sleep
>getting back into hobbies
>reconnecting with old friends/family

make life ok again~

this is literally what i want to do w/r/t getting /fit/
good job senpai

Speaking from experience, getting a car is a game changer. Tired of being inside?go somewhere. Got a craving for waffle house? Lets fucking go get some. Just be careful, the knowledge that you can go out an eat whatever the fuck you want with seduce you, and eating out all the time adds up real quick. It's good for people around you too though, since you don't need to bum rides off you family/friends.

Another personal thing I've been doing and highly recommend is just learning shit. I've got a bookmark folder labeled neat shit, and it's full of the widest assortment of shit that is fascinating to me, and thus I've done research on. Hit the random page on Wikipedia and read the article, look up people like Phineas gauge, teach yourself a language (I'm starting Japanese, but I would recommend something European first), learn 3d modeling, shit like that. The Internet is fucking full of everything you could want to know, and even stuff you don't. Find something that piques your interest, and learn ad much about it as you can, no matter what it is.

I think a great way to improve your life and at the same time physical ability would be martial arts.

I mean, think about it. You get to clear your mind and learn how to defend yourself the day a peaceful muslim or black dude wants to culturally enrich you.

I think its a win-win, especially with the violent times ahead.

Take Scottish showers (start warm, end completely cold)

Cold water is insanely good for your skin and hair, and the warm (not hot) water early in the shower raises your body temperature enough to keep you from jumping out of your skin when the cold hits.

Also helps you sleep.

>start working in a shitty restaurant
>see all the nasty ingredients and sludge they pump into people every single day
>motivates me to eat healthier
>bring an organic salad and bring it to work every day for break
>makes me feel refreshed and energized
>see sluggish coworkers eating the sludge we serve our customers every single day because it's free
>I've lost 15 lbs in a little over a month
>lifts and cardiovascular have also improved.

Change your diet you guys, fresh fruit and vegetables can do wonders. Also less carbohydrates can improve your cognition.

Good lads