To the people of Sup Forums who also watch anime: Do you enjoy Steven Universe? Whenever I watch it...

To the people of Sup Forums who also watch anime: Do you enjoy Steven Universe? Whenever I watch it, despite having only seen maybe a dozen shows, it makes me crave to watch a proper anime instead because SU feels like such a watered down one.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ou7oK9LWNuY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I fucking hate. To much crying. Everything looks like shit minus the background. Also gay space rocks.

I used to like it, and kinda still do, kinda.
But holy shit Steven is such a little fucking bitch.
It's just intolerable, one fucking thing and he goes to tears.

I like the anime feel to it and like that it's one of the few cartoons these days with an actual story to tell that isn't capes. For me it's up there with gravity falls, over the garden wall and such. This one is more up my alley because of the slight Mahou should aspect to it and the fact it's somewhat of a harem /ss/ show. I hope that one day we get a short spin off of Greg and the Gems.

As someone who enjoys anime frequently I'll have to disagree. SU is a damn fine series even as far as anime goes. You are wrong.

I like it. That being said, outside of the direct references to anime either in background references, or compositional references, Steven Universe isn't really all that anime-like. Its a standard western cartoon but with an actual focus on characterization, and ongoing plot.

If anything I'd say Steven Universe is like a Venture Bros. aimed at kids.

Wakfu, and the last airbender are more anime inspired, imo.

This...

The main character is absolutely grating...

Just, everything about him...

> Do you enjoy Steven Universe?

I enjoy it much the same way that I enjoyed Avatar. It's close enough in a lot of ways to a modern shonen anime, but because it's written by a bunch of american writers the dialogue feels so much different.

I look back on the latest leaked Steven Bomb and think that we've come a long way in western animation, but then I go back and rewatch Mob Psycho 100 and realize we've still got a long way to go.

Yeah it's okay. I just wish it ACTUALLY FOLLOWED A SENSIBLE AIRING SCHEDULE.

Man...
What a clever use of ellipsis...
Really fires up the ol' rice cooker...

Aren't the "not big" animes notorious for horrendous airing schedules and hiatuses?

Clever use of ellipsis?

It's just how I write online...

Do you have a problem with that user?

i watch anime, but also enjoy SU it makes me horny and makes me wanna FUCK

apart from a few rare cases like Code Geass and Kekkai Sensen, they're mostly on point with new episodes every week for 13 week seasons.

Steven Bombs are fucking weird by any standard

Nah, "not big" anime are usually self-contained into a single season that follows a pretty strict schedule except if there's a soccer game or an holiday or something. Sometimes for multi-season shows there'll be hiatus of relative length between seasons but usually once a season starts, it airs until it ends.

Manga however can suffer for some pretty drastic hiatus

>Steven Bombs are fucking weird by any standard
How the hell do kids stand bomb formats? Does anyone know if they fucking hate it or don't even realize it's going on?

I tried to watch it. I was bored out of my mind and the color palette is going to give me eye-cancer.

I enjoy it. The characters are interesting and the premise of overcoming grief really strikes true with me. As for the anime-ness of it one of my friends, rightfully so, compared it with panty and stocking in how it feels like a blend of western and eastern tropes.

They're probably perfectly happy to watch the same old episodes over and over again. I know I was fine with watching repeats when I was a kid.

No, Steven is an annoying little twat who ruins the show.

It triggers my autism. I'm trying to masturbate to Steven's fat mantits and you're breaking my concentration.

People hating steven seems to be a major complaint for SU. You may think he is a whiny little shit but at least he aint shinji

yeah but we can't relate to Shinji, Steven reminds us of actual Western kids

Thats the thing that actually reminded me of anime the most. The hyper emotional cast and the transformations

I think of him a lot more like Renton

A little shit in the first season who gets better once people actually tell him what the fuck is going on.

here's hoping the end of Steven Universe is anywhere as good as the end of Eureka Seven

>yeah but we can't relate to Shinji
I beg to differ

sadly

I think you haven't watched enough anime

have fun watching a decent show that only gets 12 episodes, will never get a second season and has enough time to introduce interesting ideas but not enough time to resolve anything it set up

SU is better than a lot of anime out there, given some points are fair, like complaining about it not having a logical release schedule

Shinji has legitimate depression. Steven is just fuckin gay
>Tfw they're the same age

One issue seems to be the writers are REALLY adamant about Steven just straight up asking questions and having the Gems give direct answers, because I guess they don't want long bouts of dialogue and little action. Anime isn't afraid to have that because their audience isn't hyperactive children who get bored if something isn't constantly flashing on-screen.

to be fair, anime also turns long exposition scenes that should be mostly talking into some of the silliest action scenes in existence

Death Note comes to mind as an example of this

>Anime isn't afraid to have that because their audience isn't hyperactive children who get bored if something isn't constantly flashing on-screen.
Yeah most anime just needs tons of fanservice to wrangle enough otaku's so that it can stay on the air.

Since Im too lazy to fire up MSpaint to make a image showing you my tastes. I'm just gonna write out my top 10 in no particular order.

>Hajime no Ippo
>Astrofighter Sunred
>JoJo
>Hokuto no Ken
>Golden Boy
>Cromartie High
>Konosuba
>FLCL
>Tiger and Bunny
>Shin Getter robo armageddon

And I do not think SU comes close to being an anime. Panty and stocking does a better job at being an america cartoon than SU does at trying to be anime. Also its just not an engaging story, I don't like the music, I don't like the character designs. All these things add to the fact on how american this show is.

That's fine. SU already has some pretty silly action scenes already. I'd prefer that over Steven just asking absolutely nothing despite the fact that he should be SUPER curious.

Both cartoons and anime need to hit a market to make money. Difference is anime doesn't need to do it 100% of the time whereas cartoons can't stray too far away from the norm because if they do, they get cancelled for lack of merch opportunities, lack of overseas appeal, or bad ratings. Look at all the action cartoons that get canned. Look at the fact that Disney denied Craig McCracken to do any plot development for Wander Over Yonder until season 2 where they then cancelled the show before the second season even premiered. Cartoons are treated like trash over here unless you pander hard to easy kid humor. Poop jokes, SHOUTING!!!, lots of slapstick and bodily harm jokes.

I don't know whether I love you for liking Hajime no Ippo or hate you for liking Konosuba

> Cartoons are treated like trash over here unless you pander hard to easy kid humor. Poop jokes, SHOUTING!!!, lots of slapstick and bodily harm jokes.

and then there's cartoons for adults, which need to trojan horse their way into genuine drama like Bojack Horseman

I'm a pleb with pleb taste in anime but yeah.
I like it. Maybe that's why. Because I have no taste.

oh please, Bojack is an exception

most "adult" cartoons are just a bunch of sex jokes and attempts to be edgy that are basically aimed at viewers 12-20 not actual adults, things like Family Guy and Sausage Party

Emotions are hard to deal with and the series doesn't go easy on them. When I recommend the thing to my friends I do mention the fact it does get emotional from time to time and drama like that isn't for everyone clearly. Also. Work on your punctuation. Ass.

And the thing is, I don't think that's on the company's fault because Netflix seems like they're the only ones who WILL let you stray away from the norm because overseas appeal and merch is a non-factor for them, and they function differently than Nielson ratings. It's how shows like Always Sunny can get 10+ seasons despite getting under 1 mil ratings, because it does super well on streams long after the fact. It's almost the equivalent of DVD sales.

I think Bojack has to sneak it's way into being a dramedy because audiences would not have watched a out-the-gate animated drama since it's so stigmatized here. Either you're for children or you're Family Guy.

I thought konosuba was enjoyable, mainly for being a parody of similar shows.

>Chromartie high
Still waiting for the Blu-ray.

Yeah. Sucrose and I have similar tastes in anime so I appreciate all the little nods.

I recommend checking out Revolutionary Girl Utena. It's one of the bigger anime influences on SU

I watch a decent amount of anime, and I think Steven Universe is great. I like the music and art direction and find that it has a lot of sweet heartwarming moments. SU is a super comfy show.

I thought it was shittier Slayers.

>disliking Konosuba

oh come on, its literally the best transported to another world show that has come out since No Game No Life, making one of the only two shows in that genre that are actually good

If you don't like parody I understand but at least Konosuba knows what its doing and doesn't try to take itself too seriously because of it, instead of shows that pander just as hard to otaku fans but also try to play things super seriously

Depends on what season

>lot of sweet heartwarming moments
I disagree. All they feel artificial, melodramatic and unnatural.

I was really impressed how far steven came as a character. I sat down and went through all 114? episodes prior to the steven bomb last month over the course of about 2 weeks. He actually becomes less annoying, alot more bearable, and actually kind of endearing from time to time as he tries to mend his relationships with the gems as well with the relationships with the other characters.

In just the first season this change was made so when I read about people bitching about steven I completely get it but you didn't watch far enough to actually see him develop into basically the second in command of the team as it were.

When I was like 13 that was popular.
As was fushigi yuugi and the slayers. And ranma 1/2 and tenchi muyo.
And also some others.

Best piece of shit is still shit.
>parody
Parodies are supposed to be funny.

>Utena
I watched that show back in high school with my lesbian best friend

Its so fucking silly, people think stuff like SU is over dramatic, Utena was what would happen if Kill La Kill tried to be a serious show

>This same thread was made on Sup Forums and people bitched so much about cartoons on the board it got pruned
>People here can basically have an anime discussion thread without being autistic rule nazis about it

Why do people think Sup Forums is a bad board, again?

Man you are giving me flashbacks from when I used to go to the palace chat.

You clearly don't watch the show or you'd actually have a point to make in your post about it besides just being a contrarian to the guy you replied to.

Cause fags like you make meta posts all day every day instead of staying on topic.

>if you disagree with me you didn't watch it
Fuck off.

>contrarian
Here comes this word again.

Because some really anally rentive SJWs pollute it from time to time.

I don't mean to bring it up but you asked.

because the mods don't follow the actual rules, they make their own rules up but then only enforce their own rules arbitrarily depending on how much they like a show or a fandom

this boards moderation is literal shit tier

It tries so hard to be anime, and fails at it.

I appreciate the way it's like "Ok look at DBZ and all the other popular shounen anime, what did they do wrong? Ok lets actually fix that".

Like how Steven doesn't just randomly gain huge boosts of power out of nowhere ala super saiyan. He slowly discovers his powers, trains and practices with them, and actually improves at a believable pace. I've quite enjoyed watching him go from a bumbling dumb kid to a competent fighter with a useful repertoire of abilities that he actually remembers to use and doesn't just randomly forget forever like so many anime characters would.
I also quite like the thought and detail that goes into the gems physiology and society. Most shows would just say "yeah heres some aliens, they do weird shit or something whatever we just make this up as we go". But SU spends a lot of time explaining how gems work, with their bodies being made of solidified light that gets projected out of their gem core and the things they can do make sense with that. The recent episode of them in the spaceship with gravity and lightspeed movement fucking up their bodies was very clever. And whenever they interact with homeworld gems and you see the differences in their attitudes and customs is always interesting. Like in the human zoo episode when Agate comments on how unuseful and chatty Pearl is, showing us how deeply engrained the idea of "pears are servants" is to gem society that we never see with the CG Pearl.

At least Renton had a fucking excuse, with Ow-reck-a being a borderline psychopath that was emotionally distant from him for half of the show while Holland beat the shit out of him whenever he got too annoying. Hell, even despite that, Renton's only real "bawl like a bitch" moment was when he found out he had been unknowingly slaughtering people for half the series. Then he recovered and turned into a badass.

Meanwhile, Steven has literally everyone coddling him and he still breaks down all the fucking time. Imagine if the gems took him away from his dad, Garnet bitchslapped him around whenever he decided to be "lol so quirky", the other gems didn't really give a shit, and Connie just used him as a power boost via fusion to facilitate the murder of gems.

Tbh It's almost insulting that you're comparing that perpetually leaking, fat sack of shit to mah boi Renton "ace pilot and alien pussy destroyer" Thurston.

Except its no where close to shonen shows, its a slice of life show with sprinkles of shonenshit.

Nah its pg-13 version of Sengoku Rance.

at least it doesn't fall into over used shonen tropes, like tournament arcs, fights that last long than most seasons of anime, poorly explained massive power spikes and villains that spend most of the show just being evil for its sake and if they ever get around to explaining themselves it makes no fucking sense

>Do you enjoy Steven Universe
Not really
The plot isn't compelling enough to keep me interested and it's not funny enough to work as a comedy. It has severe pacing issues and the short episodes certainly don't help. Steven's also pretty unbearable, mainly because the world seems to bend to accomodate for his ideals, but also because he cries a lot and tries his best to be as unmasculine as possible
Top notch music though and I appreciate the fact that it actually tries to tell a story

oh please

as much as it pains me there is no way something like Konosuba would get a pg 13 rating in the USA today

we massively overrate shows for sexual content, and Konosuba, even if its mostly stereotypical fanservice has way more sexual content than you could find in a pg 13 anything now a days

It's like a roller coaster for me, except you get splashed with boiling water when going up and then splashed with acid when you get to the bottom.
I don't care much for those parts.

Just because it doesn't have those tropes doesn't make it better. Nothing I've seen from SU actually improves the shounen formula.

because it isn't following the shonen formula

thats part of what makes so many modern shonen shows bad, they do follow a formula

not having a formula can make SU speratic at times but its better than being predictable

SU isn't a shonen anime.
Sorry but I don't see it.

I like certain shonen and I like SU, but, you're not comparing the two accurately.

>At least SU doesn't have the same problems as shonen!
Because it isn't.

Though, I tend to be critical of SU, despite the fact that I watch and enjoy it.
I don't know if I think SU is good though.

The word you are looking for is sporadic.

Also Steven has a tendency to resolve much every conflict non confrontationally and amicably.

Then its not a shounen show then. I honestly don't why you people think Su is some action pack show when it has very little of it.

The plot takes a back seat most of the time, it feels more of a slice of life than a action show.

Pretty much.

Pardon my stupid.

so I guess you just don't watch the show

because I would love to hear how Jasper, Bismuth, Peridot, and Malachite were solved in non confrontational ways

also a good amount of the time they start with the confrontational and change tactics when its not working, like with both Lapis and the Cluster

all the drama is so forced it makes soap operas look good in comparison.
its not about the emotions, its about how nobody on the cast can deal with any emotions and resorts to crying and then a song to make them stop crying.

Peridot became friends with the CG.
So did lapis.

Malachite - see lapis and a fight that lasted about 30 seconds resulting in their separation.

This leaves Jasper and bismuth.
The two worst gems.

I said most. Not all. And resolve. I believe that Rebecca Sugar actually made a point of this early on saying this was intentional, something to that effect?

Something about not having any characters in the show be "enemies" or not stay that way?
Perhaps I remember incorrectly.

As a longtime watcher of anime, one of my problems with it is that it no longer surprises me. very rarely maybe. It's always the same plots, the same characters, same way of trying to be clever. What I like about SU that it's fresh, it's its own thing, I can never see where it's going. It does have a lot of issues like the awful townie episodes, but overall it's great. I just wish there were more cartoons like it, maybe even ones improving on what it does and daring to be even more story driven. Western animation seriously needs more quantity (not anime level, but a few more shows per year)

>FUCK OFF
Ahhhh did I touch a nerve.
>Here comes this word again.
And its a perfectly good word too describe your worthless post about a series you know nothing about and you continue to prove you know nothing about.

Like I said its not for everyone, but its like your opinion if you think its forced. I feel like the sad parts were paced out well enough and that the story bits were genuine but thats MY opinion. So yeah unless you have a new point to make shove off.

to be fair, isn't enemies that turn into friends/ally just another over used shonen trope

He very clearly explained his reasons for disliking the show. Relax, not everyone has to like it you clod.

That isn't contrarian when the reasons are explicitly stated. Nor is his opinion going to necessitate having not seen it. Criticizing everyone who says something negative about SU as, "you just didn't watch it" is silly at best

I'm sorry but don't but into this when you don't know a thing your talking about all the guy said was the exact opposite of the post for the sake of it. He didn't back it up with why. He didn't even include the word shit post and I can post what ever I fuckin please mr. Fun shit posting police. I can argue with shit posters as I please simply on the grounds that I disagree with them and I love it even more when they're rude about it. Thank you that will be all.

Don't bother. There's a reason SUfags are hated by everyone.

How much you find it overused or stagnant is going to be up to you.

Fair criticism of the shonen genre, maybe. But I didn't say it was bad or good. It was an observation based on how I saw SU. I could name similar shonen that do that yeah.

It's not a terrible thing.

Are you having a stroke?
Seems like it.

He gave reasons why. He found it melodramatic and over the top. If that's what he thinks I don't see a reason to doubt him. And I like the show, remember.

But If you wanted a private conversation with him, just say so, and we'll all close our eyes and turn around until you're done. Don't worry. I won't peek.

Big Sup Forums guy here, but also big on western animation. I think SU is one of those shows with really high highs and really low lows. Like, the show does some things perfectly, but some things terribly.

Pros:
The atmosphere is gorgeous. The dynamic lighting is pretty foreign to western cartoons and this show pulls it off. Very comfy.

Good soundtrack. Actually, fantastic soundtrack. I'll occasionally put on one of the insert songs because they're just really damn good.

Cons:
The characters are grating and unlikable, and their interactions are boring. Sure, I figure that western characters aren't moe and all that crap, but there's no engaging conversation. Stephen is such a bland, generic main character that there's no real potential for genuinely engaging dialogue. And I'm not hating on all modern cartoons here, stuff like Wander Over Yonder, SvFoE, even the fucking Loud House do a way better job at making their characters nuanced and fun to watch. SU is so bogged down by drama that it forgets to make us care about the characters.

The animation is also garbage. Yes, the art style is nice, but for all that effort 90% of the actual show comes down to lip flaps and uninteresting fight scenes. Like, for Christ's sake, don't they teach you anything about style at Calarts? Use a smear once in a while, though I guess that complaint can be lobbed at a lot of cartoons.

Overall, it's a comfy show that really fails to make you want to watch more of it, IMO. The characters don't draw me in, and the layers of drama for these unlikable characters further alienate me from the show. Maybe if you're a LGBTQ or whatever and can relate to the characters more, you'd find the drama appealing. But at the very least, it doesn't have universal appeal.

That said, if it came on TV, I wouldn't turn it off, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it, either. I'm just sad that something fairly mediocre like this gets endless seasons, while far better shows have come and gone.

>Loud House
>nuanced characters
ya that talking straight to the camera sure is nuanced, I mean what is more nuanced than just talking straight to the audience instead of try to set things up organically or cleaverly

Maybe nuanced is a bad term. Humanized would be better. Each character has a series of quirks that get them in conflict with one another, even if it's minor or verbal issues, which drives the story and makes interactions fun. You get to see clashes of personalities and such.

Just an example, I can't really think of a character flaw for Stephen. Maybe he's a little dumb, but that's not really blame him for. Not quite a Gary Stu, but he's not really all that relatable or fun to watch either. I can think of flaws for Wander, how his altruism and recklessness gets his friends in trouble. Or for all the Loud House characters or whatever, but the SU characters are generally so flat that it sucks the interest out of the show. Stephen doesn't feel real. He feels like some platonic ideal of a kid, and that's just not fun to watch.

Maybe I haven't watched enough of the show, but it would be nice to see a scenario where trying to be nice to people really hurts Stephen and his friends, and he gets some character development out of it. And when the show addresses LGBT issues, maybe the creator is more reserved about giving her characters glaring issues for fear of making them look bad, but it's just really, really boring how perfect Stephen is.

>right hand side of the scene is funny
>left is sad

I love the fact they just reversed a typical MST3K shot for their big sad scene. It's such a nice little nod.

I enjoy the show well enough but the anime references can get hamfisted. They're usually less about paying homage to interesting and innovative series, directors and techniques as someone like Genndy Tartakovsky does regularly and more about just cramming in an obvious reference into the background like Family Guy does. It's less about paying respect to those that came before and more about throwing up a flag to say "Hey guys we like anime!" Any one worth their salt in the animation industry should have seen dozens if not hundreds of different anime just like any film director worth their salt should have watched hundreds of different movies. There's nothing special in watching them, it's required reading, what is special is showing the audience you took something from it and hopefully it inspired you to try to advance the medium as a whole.

Steven definately qualifies for "naive to a fault"

Its pretty hard to take you seriously when you apparently can't even get the main character's name right

its Steven, its the freaking title of the show man come on

also you sound like you just don't watch the show, Steven very clearly has flaws, I will give that they perhaps don't come up as often as one might like but he is certainly niave and stubborn both of which bit him in the fucking ass just recently, but then again you extend your claim to all characters in the show which makes me think you just don't watch it if you don't see the obvious and understandable flaws in characters like Pearl and Amethyst

>but at least he aint shinji
Hm let's see
>Steven has loving dad, space rocks and Connie who'll suck his dick if he asked them to
>Shinji has dad who hates him, literally hardly any friends and has to pilot a giant mech, and can die any second. Also had to kill one of his friends

They are not really comparable all the things they have in common is that their mom is dead and that they cry a lot.

In English speaking countries, it is not uncommon to pronounce Stephen and Steven the same.

Naive, sure, but to a fault? When has his naivete been portrayed as negative rather than quirky or charming?

>Its pretty hard to take you seriously when you apparently can't even get the main character's name right
I mean, it's not a huge deal.

>also you sound like you just don't watch the show,
Don't pull that no true Scotsman shit. I might not be obsessed with it, but I've seen a good chunk.

>Steven very clearly has flaws, I will give that they perhaps don't come up as often as one might like but he is certainly niave and stubborn both of which bit him in the fucking ass just recently,
If it takes 4 seasons to show that your main character has more than two dimensions, then that's a BIG issue with the show. How did being naive and stubborn hurt him, in this case?

>but then again you extend your claim to all characters in the show which makes me think you just don't watch it if you don't see the obvious and understandable flaws in characters like Pearl and Amethyst
Oh, sure, I actually rather like some of the side characters. But having faults isn't a boon, it's a requirement for a decent character. It means that at least for the side characters, the writers took an English 101 class. But sometimes it's a little preachy even with them. Or there feels like a bit too much unnecessary drama. Like that episode where Pearl really wanted to fuse and kept making shit up for an excuse. Sure, it's drama, and that's SOMETHING, but what's so engaging about Pearl that makes me even care about her in the first place? The show needs to devote more time to some basic establishment and exposition, so that you feel sympathetic to the characters, rather than bring up all the drama.

I rather liked Lapis, I feel that's how you pull of decent characterization. She got a ton of development and when the drama hit, it was after a long period of getting to know the character, and I actually sort of gave a shit.

ok so?

Still seems like a mistake that only someone who doesn't actually watch the show would make, I mean the show's title is his name, it would be like claiming you know something about Dexter's Lab but you seem to think his name is Dixter for no reason

Or, you know, you know a lot of people named Stephen and make that mistake. It's not exactly uncommon, you realize?

>When has his naivete been portrayed as negative rather than quirky or charming?
When peridot almost killed him when he talked to her drones at the kindergarten? Trusting a mirror that farts with him over the gems? Hell he is constantly assuming the best of gems and putting himself and others at risk. Sure it works out in the end but it doesn't mean it wasn't idiotic.

At least in season one. I think Jasper finally knocked some sense into the fucking idiot.