Storytime: Guardians of the Galaxy #16

I don't ordinarily dump Bendis' GotG, but seein as his run is coming to an end in just a few issues, I feel obliged to help see it out the door.

>Groot made his face look nasty and scary and mean
>It was a face Groot had to practice, because it wasn't exactly his scene
FUCK THAT SHIT MOVIE GROOT

>Bendis

This is painful.

Old Groot used to actually have dialogue. Remember, Sup Forums? REMEMBERRRRRRRRR....!

I remember
I remember all the Guardians and I will always be that guy that rants about it when he hears a casual talk about the movie

So is this the only decent Bendis issue by virtue of cuteness?

It's literally the only Bendis floppy I've ever paid for. He's no better at aping Dr Seuss than he is Mamet but it's cute and simple enough that my nephew can understand it and be amused.

Knowhere Corps here to remind you they are the only interesting thing in this issue.

>I will always be that guy who rants about the 4 issues by Giffen I read where Groot talks instead of the 30 succeeding issues by DnA where he doesn't

ok

bump

>this is a little nice cosmic colla-
>kitty pryde
Forget it.

>it's a bendis cameos in his own comics episode

even when he didn't talk his personality and look were completely different fagolord

but you were talking about dialogue, faglord

carrying a torch for "old groot" is fucking stupid as he was even less of a character and had no personality beyond "arrogant deposed ruler-in-exile"

actually I just said that I remember all the guardians in response to an user that talked about dialogue

and I liked his old persona more than feel-good space druid

yeah but he served the same purpose as he does now: looking out for rocket and being the giant wooden team tank. the old personality was never explored or capitalized on beyond a few jokes (and only appeared in like 8 or 9 comics altogether) so I really can't be arsed to give a shit about him becoming a glorified meme

it's a lateral move at worst and probably at best too

His old persona was barely a character used mostly for filler though. I like the calm gentle Groot more.

that was sort of alright

>Mantis barefoot again
>block her feet every time

Isn't this supposed to be the first issue of the last arc Benis is doing? Why the hell is it a Seussian issue about Groot?

Maybe I've missed something.

It's the second one, actually. Every issue of this arc follows one member of the team as they deal with their stay on Earth. The previous issue was a Ben Grimm story

Whoop, so I did miss something, that makes alot more sense now.

This issue was cute it just didn't make a whole hell of alot of sense in the larger scale.

Technically he looks different now because of the black mirror nonsense.

Sorta, but he's still a subpar writer even doing Seuss and I noticed he went into overdrive on the stupid fake space references. I mean I'm sure it helps here with the rhyming and all but I have to feel that a better writer would use actual cosmic marvel references.

But like I said, it's cute enough that my young nephew could grasp and enjoy it.

Apparently there isn't a ground floor on this trainwreck. I miss the stern and stoic Monarch of Planet X. Armadillo sliding from down on his luck genetic freak trying to become human again to a grinning, "I'm going to rob a bank near Central Park midafternoon and only Groot can stop me" fart of a villain. The inclusivity mug coming out of nowhere.

I feel like this was a weak attempt at a Christmas story that got delayed and rewritten for some reason.

it wasn't great but let's be honest he's done way worse

>Adam Warlock
>Richard Rider
>Wendell Vaughn

Take out Kitty and Bendis' dumb OC Hala and it's perfect

Fucking Bendis can't make up space words, seriously you can't just fucking throw one random made up word out there just to mask your lack of writing skills.

Establish one like Flark and D'ast and stick to them.

Yeah and I honestly kind of hate DnA for doing the "I am Groot" thing especially since Giffen's Groot was much more interesting.

Imagine had the continue the Monarch angle, MCU Groot would have turned out differently.

I mean James Gunn said he based his version of Groot on his dog and in his mind he just replaced the barking with "I am Groot"

No, he sucks at aping Doctor Seuss but it's an inoffensive issue with a simple story so it's not the worst he's done.

>That Bendis

I want to take that face and photoshop it on the cringey panels from his shitty stories, like the "STOP RAPING ME!" Wolverine panel.

>Isn't this supposed to be the first issue of the last arc Benis is doing?
Second issue of the last arc. First issue was the one about Ben Grimm that had a mildly touching scene about the F4, then a little bit of Bendis doing his usual continuity ignoring, and ended with the reveal that the whole issue was just a big ol' advertisement for his Doom book.

All told, it was probably one of the best issues of the run, mainly because it didn't have a single actual Guardian in it.

Wait, when has Groot ever met Impossible Man? That aside, I really want an unlettered version of this page.

>She-hulk
Bravo editors.

>Giffen's Groot was much more interesting.

What was so interesting about him?