"I wanted to do a sprawling, 'Godfather'-like epic at the street level of the Marvel Universe," says Bendis...

> "I wanted to do a sprawling, 'Godfather'-like epic at the street level of the Marvel Universe," says Bendis, who is reteaming with artist David Marquez.

>Marvel Comics is bringing back The Defenders as a comic, but this time it’s coming with the Netflix state of mind.

>Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Iron Fist, heroes who are headlining their own shows on Netflix and are to team up for a show called Defenders, will now partner up on the publishing side.

>Brian Michael Bendis, one of Marvel’s most popular writers, and artist David Marquez, who worked with Bendis on books featuring Spider-Man and Iron Man, are behind the new ongoing series, which will launch in June, after receiving a preview in the publisher’s Free Comic Book Day offering in May.

>Defenders was a comic Marvel first launched in the early 1970s and it mostly included a fluctuating roster of heroes, with Doctor Strange and the Hulk being strands throughout. In 2013, Netflix and Marvel announced their plans for a Defenders television miniseries.

>While it’s true there’s the upcoming Netflix show, Marvel’s senior vp executive editor Tom Brevoort says the roots for the new book grow from 2012, when Bendis wrapped up his run on New Avengers, the team book that consisted of Cage, Jones, Fist and Daredevil — along with Wolverine, Spider-Man and others.

>“There are a lot of fans who will say, 'Oh they’re doing a TV show, so of course there’s going to be a comic,' but at least in this case, there’s a comic I can point you to," Brevoort tells Heat Vision. "Read the last two pages of Brian’s New Avengers! Certainly that there is a big new exciting Netflix TV show coming is a good excuse for us to get to that story that we planted the seed on.”

>Thus, Defenders sees Bendis' return to private investigator Jones, whom he co-created, and Cage, whom he returned to prominence in 2005 by including him in an Avengers lineup that was initially met with skepticism. And of course, Daredevil, for whom Bendis wrote a defining run for five years, working with artist Alex Maleev, in the early 2000s that was gritty and grounded.

>“You will get Jessica Jones looking out her window, street-level, and my return to Daredevil, which will be different than what I and Alex did before,” says Bendis. "And Luke and Danny, characters that I have a strong affinity for. I spent most of the oughts being mocked for the love of Luke Cage. Now that Luke Cage is a household name, I just sit back in my chair and laugh and laugh.”

>In keeping with the tone of the Netflix shows, which, of course, are based on the gray worlds of the heroes’ stories, Defenders sees the group banding to take on the various criminal empires vying for dominance in New York City and the neighborhood of Hell’s Kitchen.

>“I wanted to do a sprawling, Godfather-like epic at the street level of the Marvel Universe, really putting out hooks down and creating a modern, elaborate organized crime story that is different than what has gone before, but builds on everything that has happened to these characters, as individuals or as a team, and putting them in the hardest battle for the street that anyone can imagine."

>Marquez paired with Bendis yet again
>MCU synergy yet again
Fucking YAWN.

FUCK OFF BENDIS

>For Defenders, Bendis is reteaming with Marquez, both coming off of the event series Civil War II.

>"Usually, when an artist is finished with a book like that, they want something quieter,” says Bendis of the artist, who, like Bendis, lives in Portland. “This is the least quiet, ‘quiet book’ to do after an event.”

>Bendis says his authorship of the book is going be ongoing, a hallmark of the writer in an era where many scribes do just half-year or yearlong contracts.

>“I love ongoing titles. I love what happens in the second year of titles…. There’s a lot of hit-and-run writers and artists, I get that, but I find the real substance is when you’ve made a commitment. If you say to yourself, 'I’m only staying for six issues,' you've already kind of left. If you say to yourself, 'I’m staying,' then you really commit to it on a level that is important to the reader."

Jessica Jones is supposed to look like an ape though.

Look.
It was never gonna be anyone else. And, frankly, this is probably one of the least bad books for him to be on.
Though
>no Misty
>no Colleen

>Making comics just like the TV shows/movies
I hate this trend. The Death of Wolverine was a thing just because someone didn't finish watching The Wolverine.

>says Bendis of the artist, who, like Bendis, lives in Portland.

thats a weird thing to add considering Marquez moved to Portland to live near Bendis since they were planning to work with each so much...

>"Now that Luke Cage is a household name, I just sit back in my chair and laugh and laugh."
Yeah I'm laughing too. That Bendis actually believes Cage is a household name.

>>Bendis says his authorship of the book is going be ongoing, a hallmark of the writer in an era where many scribes do just half-year or yearlong contracts.
>>“I love ongoing titles. I love what happens in the second year of titles…. There’s a lot of hit-and-run writers and artists, I get that, but I find the real substance is when you’ve made a commitment. If you say to yourself, 'I’m only staying for six issues,' you've already kind of left. If you say to yourself, 'I’m staying,' then you really commit to it on a level that is important to the reader."

is Bendis trying to call out fucking Warren Ellis

This was set up at the end of Mighty Avengers, guys. They literally get as close to saying "Heroes for Hire/Mighty Avengers are going to become the new Defenders" as possible.

>d.o.a.

Bendis set himself up for a new H4H at the end of his New Avengers run.

He was going to do it with Deodato, then for whatever arcane system Marvel uses to decide when books should be made, the plans got changed.

Well, at least he's back to street level I guess. I expect the same old reckless abandon in regards to continuity though.

>This was set up at the end of Mighty Avengers, guys.
"Set up". As if they ever planned to return to it. Mighty Avengers ended like eight years ago. Stop defending this garbage.

Talk about the single least surprising comic announcement imaginable.

On one hand, Bendis is going back to street level, where he's best.

On the other hand, Bendis is making sure to attach himself to a synergy product again to make himself look better.

>David Marquez
Bendis still hoarding Marquez
I hope that at least he won't keep Schitti

Bendis has no problem hating his fellow Kittyfags. Only he can have her. He probably also hates Whedon and Aaron as well.

user, this was set up as far back as the end of Bendis' New Avengers. Bendis has been talking about doing this book for years.

Mighty Avengers ended like a year and a half ago for Secret Wars.

I know it gets confusing when Marvel reuses the same titles.

He means Ewing's Mighty Avengers.

Nice, a containment book, I'm OK with this

It's also a team book.

>He was going to do it with Deodato, then for whatever arcane system Marvel uses to decide when books should be made, the plans got changed.

I believe Bendis said Heroes for Hire didn't happen because Marvel wanted him to focus on other books at the time which I believe was his X-Men run.

Well, yes, but I mean "the Defenders name". Look. They were OBVIOUSLY going to do a new H4H-As-Defenders book, and given the lineup it was never going to be anyone but Bendis. The line up includes his OC, his favorite character, and one of two characters he ever wrote well.

>Bendis doing street level book

Maybe this one won't be completely terrible

>“I love ongoing titles. I love what happens in the second year of titles…. There’s a lot of hit-and-run writers and artists, I get that, but I find the real substance is when you’ve made a commitment. If you say to yourself, 'I’m only staying for six issues,' you've already kind of left. If you say to yourself, 'I’m staying,' then you really commit to it on a level that is important to the reader."
For once I have to agree with him. Although I put a lot of the blame for this trend on Marvel for the relaunches that enforce it.

I'm sure.
since that was during the whole post-AvX/Marvel NOW shake-up.

and Bendis has clearly replaced Deodato with Marquez as his go-to along with Maleev

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

everyone thought the same with the new Jessica Jones, and look how thats turning out...

"Fuck bursts of quality, I can push out shit for years" -Bendis

Why? Alias was a massive piece if shit.

Look at his Miles Spider-man too,

>>Bendis says his authorship of the book is going be ongoing
>going be on going
CARLOS!

Who mocked Bendis for liking Luke Cage or even including him, imaginary bullies? People bitched about Wolverine and Spider-Man.

Finally, somebody else says it. I'm so fucking tired of the "Alias was good" meme.

Lots of people, actually. Luke Cage has never been seen as a "cool" character, outside of a few appearances like Parkerbolts.

Nah, his Cage boner and general obsession with big black males has always been mocked. And his Luke Cage was always really damn bland.

So it's generally agreed upon that Bendis is a genius, right?

This is Bendis' wheelhouse, Marquez is an amazing artist. I don't have hope exactly but i'm not totally dreading it

No seriously, hear me out. He consistently shits out turd after turd, and yet they sell like hotcakes. He always partners with Marvel's best artists. He managed to make all his favorite characters household names. Hell, he even managed to make his OC a household name in Marvel, to the point she's got her own TV show, do you know how hard that is? Bendis is a goddamn genius.

>Marquez is an amazing artist.
When will this meme end?

>I wanted to do a sprawling, Godfather-like epic at the street level of the Marvel Universe, really putting out hooks down and creating a modern, elaborate organized crime story that is different than what has gone before
OK, place your bets on who the crime lords are going to be. My money is on the Kingpin, Black Cat, Hammerhead, The Hood, Madame Masque and at least 1 OC. And not a single Luke Cage villain because Bendis doesn't care about them.

I really hate Bendis Cage

REINAS RATAS

Jessica Jones is not a household name. It doesn't matter how many shows she gets. She's not important.

You're just mad because your obscure fave will never be famous.

How tied up are Bendis and Brevoort? When Bendis sinks, will Brevoort go with him?

>When Bendis sinks
Bendis is eternal, baby.

What about them?

AIIIIIEEEEEEEEE

I just wonder how Bendis did it. What did he do that was apparently SO GOOD that he's been able to stick it out with Marvel for decades at this point?

Negro, sé más claro.

He sucks dick reeeeaaal good.

He must if he managed to get "Powers" two seasons.

BUILD WALL

>Implying that writing a beginning, middle and end in advance instead of leaving readers hanging is a good thing.
That's just rude and incorrect.

DCfag here. I really love coming into these threads and laughing at your misery. It's nothing personal or company war but these threads just always make me laugh.
Hopefully misery ends soon for you faggots.

Tell that to his arteries.

It's easier when no one cares about Guidoman and Blacksassygirl.

>DCfag here
No you aren't.

He needs to cut down on his output so he can put his focus on one thing, and one thing only. Maybe two.

Maybe that's the problem. Maybe that's why everything after Ultimatum was shit. When he branched out to do 3+ comics at once, he started to break down. Now he's doing 5, while wrapping up a sixth, right after finishing an event comic.

It could also explain the extreme levels of decompression in his books. I think he uses it to buy time for himself to fill out his other books when he's too overworked to make up meaningful content.

He needs to decide which two he really wants to do, and leave the rest to someone else. Maybe gaining focus is all he needs to get back to becoming sort-of decent.

>Hopefully misery ends soon for you faggots.
This might end up being good
All the other upcoming stuff sounds good and have great creative teams
Movies are awesome

Meanwhile Rebirth hype is dying down, nothing interesting coming up
A cinematic universe already six feet under.

Keep laughing

samefag

Honestly, I think it's going to get under 40,000.
The new Jessica Jones book came out like 2 months ago, and lost almost half of its readers by the second issue because of Bendis' infamous decompression. What Marvel needs to realize that they're not dealing with loyal customers when it comes to books like this. Now I'm not saying that they're not fans of the characters, just that they're not going to put up with the shit that we've been bitching about for years. This new wave of consumers will immediately drop something if they feel it's a waste of their time and/or money, and their purchase of Jessica Jones #1 (2016) will still be fresh in their minds when they see that Bendis in the lower right corner.

>he actually cares about the movies

>lost almost half of its readers by the second issue
You have no idea how diamond distribution sales figures work, do you?

Just post your pasta and get out.

I'm guessing this series will continue the plot thread from Jessica Jones where that woman wants to destroy the superhero community because she hates them for being smug and holier-than-thou or something.
As well as the usual Bendis trope of bad guys speechifying about how society needs them because something something we built this city and how heroes suck for messing with the natual order.

>that woman wants to destroy the superhero community because she hates them for being smug and holier-than-thou or something
Oh look, they're ripping off Cameron Chase.

Because in Marvel's case they're good.

Aww man what's going to happen to walkers PM and IF? Danny didn't get much focus but Luke at least seemed like an actual character.

Bendis a robot, because it feels like he's writing for every Marvel book these days.

If you barely watch movies to begin with, sure.

Not really, Cameron Chase was just an asshole government agent. Alison Greene is some Wall Street broker that's part of some secret conspiracy group that wants to destroy the superhero community by using their secrets against them or some shit, she's also apparently had some literally whos killed and has the Spot working for her.

They're fun and enjoyable.

They're mediocre films from an objective standpoint and way too self-aware.

Here's hoping this doesn't fuck up what Walker is doing in Power Man/Iron Fist

>hoping
>about Bendis

Oh he's gonna keep shitty alright

And THERE it is, friends! The ugly, truth.
YOUR CHILDREN have ascended from the DUNG of man.
I, alone have been anointed to SPREAD my ass for you!

FOR I LOVE YOU!

Dammit Bendis, walker is ready doing this story for PM and IF!!!!! Don't take his shine!!!

Let me SHOW you the power of my ass man!

Breath now!

Embrace the powerful tacos.

Embrace my LONG holy paenus!

Watch it RISE up. RISE into the ass of elves!

Brevoort was at Marvel for at least 15 years before Bendis started there.

he wrote some Secret Defenders issues when Marvel could just print money and didn't have enough writers to crap out scripts

Look, I hate Bendis too, but I don't think this is accurate. Luke Cage is a good character and I don't remember people hating on him specifically.

Maybe in the same way that casuals diss Aquaman, people dissed the tiara and blouse, but Luke in NA was less controversial than Wolverine or Spider-Man.

all of his books, and especially his events, sell pretty well?

and even when they're not selling GREAT they're still doing at least average sales. and Marvel is a business of selling comics, not telling good stories.

he thinks he writes better when working on multiple things.

you're also forgetting his 5 creator-owned books that have essentially stopped being made because his artists needed to be working while he was busy not writing scripts for them.

What's wrong with his art?

I guess you weren't around during those days because people definitely didn't like Luke Cage back in the day. They saw him as an outdated relic and a perfect example of the "angry black man" trope. Hell, Static's comic had a Luke Cage/Black Lightning parody in it, it was that bad.

different person, but nothing is wrong with his art.
hes just not "amazing". He does solid work, but its nothing great, or anywhere close to terrible.

>all of his books, and especially his events, sell pretty well?
That's not an answer. user asked "how". You replied with "he sells books".

>lost almost half of its readers by the second issue
>because of Bendis' infamous decompression
You're new I guess. Don't get me wrong, Bendis is shit and a cancer in the industry but you should read up more on how those sales figures work before posting anything else about them.

It's terribly static. Apart from that it's just boring. Not a horrible artist but even calling him good is a stretch.

he wrote some indie books that a Marvel editor liked.
that Marvel editor asked him if he wanted to write some books for Marvel, he said yes.
He then wrote some books for Marvel, which were generally well-received and had decent sales.
he then failed upwards to his current position.

> "I wanted to do a sprawling, 'Godfather'-like epic at the street level of the Marvel Universe," says Bendis
>Godfather-like

Maybe not, New Avengers released in 05, I didn't come to Sup Forums til 07. I don't remember anyone on Talk@newsarama having a problem with him.

>As well as the usual Bendis trope of bad guys speechifying about how society needs them because something something we built this city and how heroes suck for messing with the natual order.
Does he really do that?