I just read O'Neil's The Question and I have to say I never realized just how huge a change in character Justice League...

I just read O'Neil's The Question and I have to say I never realized just how huge a change in character Justice League Unlimited did with the character. I didn't realize that in comics The Question has nothing to do with conspiracys or big government or like pop music and is more spiritual and zen.

How come this big change doesn't get brought up more with The Question?

Because a lot of casuals haven't read O'Neil's Question and only know him from JLU.

Because the cartoon based it more on Steve Ditko's run where the Question was a hard black-and-white objetvist.

>The Question was created by Steve Ditko to be a comic code friendly version of Mr. A
>Alan Moore originally planned on using The Question (as with other Charlton characters) but decided to create Rorschach instead out of fear that using Charlton characters for Watchmen would render them unusable in the future.
>Rorschach is a satire toward Mr. A's objectivist views
>DCAU Question has elements of Rorschach

On ennis' run we spend a few issues with constantine as a bum, before getting back to normal. And over a stupid cunt the irish inserted as his would be girlfriend.

Nothing to do with the man who trained swamp thing to stop hell's army

The Question is radically different in every incarnation
JLU is radically different from O'Neil which is radically different from Ditko which is radically different from Rucka which is radically different from Veitch which is radically different from New 52

>Because the cartoon based it more on Steve Ditko's run
No.

Most people only know The Question from the cartoon.

>which is radically different from Rucka
Are you talking about Montoya?, because Vic under Rucka didn't really seem radically different from O'Neil Vic.

I was talking about Rucka's Renee Question "run" in Detective Comics, since 52 probably had at least some input from the other writers

>How come this big change doesn't get brought up more with The Question?

Deep down, the root of it is that we love and accept this version of The Question.

That is, those of us who even know how different the comic version is. >_>

Not much use in complaining about the differences. Apart from the New 52 version, they were all pretty good in their own right.

As with everything, when it's welll done it's called a clever reinterpretation of the character, and if not it's a betrayal and a disgusting retcon.

I don't think another street level vigilante like the comic version would have brought much to the table in JLU, anyways.

JLU Rorschach is best Rorschach.

That's probably why they did it. Comic Question would have basically been another Batman without the plot shields.

Which worked in the comics because it was a different flavor of a similar idea, with both Batman and Question having plenty of room to be their own things. It's a classic No Perfect Pasta Sauce situation.

JLU as a huge ensemble needed sharper delineation between the characters.

>Veitch
i really enjoyed his mini if just for the fact that criminals hide in the bathroom when in metropolis because they know Superman would never spy on people in there

It was just so crazy yet totally worked.

(not sure why writers never wanted to use the Ditko Question. Even if you hated objectivism id think it would be fun to writer a character that had a totally different opinion than yourself)

Because when JLU was out, this guy was the most popular detective around
Vic even has a "I Know" poster in his room

C'mon Vic, it's pretty easy to "know" when two of your superiors are literal aliens

The Question changes from writer to writer. His thing is basically he's a Superhero with some basis in philosphy. Ditko had him as a Randian Objectivist and moral absolutionist. O'Neil wrote him as a Zen Buddhist and a humanist. Veitch wrote him as some kind of street sorceror Taoist. I'm not sure which philosphy Renee was following during Rucka's run in Detective Comics

>>_>

bump

New 52 is good too, you're just a faggot.

>Because a lot of casuals haven't read O'Neil's Question and only know him from JLU.

It's like you've known me my entire life.

To the anons who think they know what objectivism is, seeing in black and white is manicheism

>How come this big change doesn't get brought up more with The Question?

Because JLU's version of the Question was incredibly charming (thanks Jeffery Combs).

This

Fuck off, Johns.