Criterion.com 50% flash sale

>Criterion.com 50% flash sale
>promo code: COOP
>Criterion looking to cash-in big on Twin Peaks nerds buying FWWM for a third time

whatchu copping, senpai? light haul for me, only getting the first WCP box set. gonna wait for the B&N sale in a few weeks desu

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Criterion_Collection_UK_releases
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>whatchu copping
>gonna

If you're going to act like a nigger then fuck off please.

>

Picked up Rebecca, Barry Lyndon and the Czech eclipse. Considering buying one more..maybe a renoir or something.

I'm also gonna wait for the B&N sale. Planning to pick up that new Lynch doc, In the Mood for Love, The Innocents, and probably a couple of others. Maybe Vampyr.

bought 100k thanks op

hello newfriend!!!

Has anyone seen La Chienne, The Marseille Trilogy or Marketa Lazarova? Been considering picking them up

marketa lazarova is a must

Just this

rip

Is there any reason to get FWWM if I already have the tp box set? Like does it look better or have extra features?

i haven't read any reviews, but early reports were that it would be essentially the same as the box set release. maybe a slightly better encode, but even then not likely to warrant a double dip unless you are a Criterion or Twin Peaks completist.

only extras not available anywhere else are new interviews with Sheryl Lee and Ray Wise

Seconding marketa lazarova. An essential movie

Thinking about The Vanishing, but it seems like the type of movie that I would watch once and never go back to. Can anyone comment on that?

Also considering l’argent and down by law

Well. I am tempted to be a twin Peaks completionist, especially because it's only 19.95

while the ending of The Vanishing may lose its shock factor upon rewatches (while still remaining quite chilling), the parts that focus on the culprit stay interesting

Down By Law is endlessly rewatchable imo

are these $15 or $20 after sale?

>free shipping after $50 otherwise its $7 shipping

they can go fuck themselves I'll just wait for barnes and nobles

It seems like mostly 20 and some are 25

I appreciate criterion, and looking at all the work and care they go through on a lot of releases, they probably are worth that price. But I just can't justify spending that much on a movie unless I truly love it, certainly never on a blind buy

Jesus fuck. Criterion must have access to my bank account because they have a sale literally every time I'm broke

>certainly never on a blind buy
i only do it if there is absolutely no other way to stream/download a movie i really want to see (btw thank god for FilmStruck; saves my wallet in the long run desu)

Spent $600 last 50% off sale through Criterion and B&N. Funny how for that much it's really only a handful of movies. Worth it, to me atleast.

The vanishing is an enjoyable watch. I've only seen it once though so i cant comment on its rewatchability.

L'argent, however is phenomenal, and I highly recommend that you pick it up

the kidnapper scenes in The Vanishing sorta remind me, if only superficially, of Bresson (in particular A Man Escaped and Pickpocket) in its focus on process, following the kidnapper as he prepares for, learns, and carries out his crime

La Jetee or The Great Dictator?

>buying physical media

My computer doesn't even have an optical drive anymore. I would buy a digital download, but not a bluray.

Tough call, user. Both great films but maybe go with La Jetee as you also get Sans Soleil

La Jetee/Sans soliel

The Great Dictator is maybe the worst Chaplin film imo. it's preachy, heavy-handed, and too didactic to a degree that's difficult to overlook despite understanding the film's intentions from a historical perspective, but worse and most damning, just not very funny

also, it has the all-time worst Criterion cover art

When will Blade runner 2049 be part of the criterion collection? That movie is KINO

What about Region B UK releases?

oh yeah, i forgot Criterion UK was a thing now. don't really see the point considering you guys have a lot of great labels like MoC, Arrow, and the BFI, that release many of the same films as Criterion US

is Criterion's brand recognition that big of a deal?

>buying media

The UK catalog is extremely limited, so there are no overlaps with MoC, Arrow, and the BFI.

The only Region B releases I'm interested is Dr. Strangelove, Stalker and Solaris

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Criterion_Collection_UK_releases

>not exclusively downloading remuxes of criterion releases

Digital download does not have extras. That's the main reason people are into Criterion.

Its always best to buy used discs after a while than to pay the full price.

>Digital download does not have extras. That's the main reason people are into Criterion.
Criterion could offer a store like steam where you can buy movies like games and extras like DLC.

Extras are for losers.
You could spend the time watching another film you haven't viewed yet.

What exactly do they have on disc that isn't on FilmStruck and is worth watching?

The transfer for Stalker is phenomenal

>2017
>buying physical media

Sucks being an Australian where getting your hands on a fucking Criterion is a hard enough process as it is and when you do it costs an insane fuckin' price.

I just wanna own The Piano Teacher man.

>B&N sale
I don't live in the states so this is kind of irrelevant to me. However, recently I have bought the following Criterion releases:
Mulholland Dr.
Tampopo
Good Morning
The Player

I usually get my stuff through Amazon, since they have good prices and don't rape you when it comes to shipping/customs, but does anyone have any alternatives for people outside the US?

When is this getting a Criterion release?

probably never (it already has a decent blu-ray release anyway)

tho they did Olympia but its going to be in that fuckhuge Olympics Films box set they are releasing in December

That release misspells Krieg as Kreig.

IQ89 mistake.

I'm sure it will get stolen and shared.

The shipping is nuts on these.

>I'm sure it will get stolen and shared.
It's public domain so I wouldn't feel too bad about downloading it.

huh. really activates the old almond

They're trying to entice you to go for the free shipping over $50

why do these FUCKING sites never let you list all titles on one page and make you click a hundred times

Nothin personnel kid

still won't be complete as it won't have the long-rumored shot of Hitler's face superimposed over the sky of Berlin's stadium (he still appears in the film, but in an archival context)

btw this is a hell of shot to get in such an old film with relatively inchoate motion picture camera technology

IT'S 3 CENTS OFF YOU FUCKING KIKES

Buy a T shirt.

I'm tempted to buy an XL hausu shirt but at that price I could just go get another bluray for $20.

Anyone seen The Lure? I am enticed by the premise.

>look up fincher's shit on there
>benjamin button and the game

>fincher makes nothing but shit
Shocking

Going to get The River and Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence... Any other recommendations? Was thinking about getting something from Kiarsotami or Haneke

New Lynch doc is completely mediocre.

I loved the lure. It’s basically a coming of age musical with elements of horror. I guess it’s not for everyone, but I would highly recommend it if you’re looking for a unique and original film, especially if you’re intrigued by its premise

They should have released it what FWWM, then either would be worth getting. I'm not a big fan of Haneke, but you can't go wrong with Kiarostami. I'm thinking about getting The New World, its the only Malick I haven't seen, but I'm not sure how much I'll like it. Also considering getting Welles' Othello, a masterpiece, but I might see if the price goes down eventually

>the fucking breakfast club on sale Jan 2nd

Least expected movie tbqh

wow how does someone manage to make a post like that and not say anything at all

Completely agree regarding FWWM / Art of life

I really like the extended edition of The New World, if you are into Malick you will really like it.

The New World is my favorite Malick movie, but I'm also really into early colonial American history so take that as you will.

I do it all the time.

>Tampopo
>Good Morning
Weeb, lol.

How is the commentary track on The Player? From what I've heard there is one version of Altman's commentary that is different to the one that is usually slapped on most releases, it's somehow longer and "uncut" since the one on the DVD features producer Tolkin. Is that true for the Criterion blu-ray?

nigga you just reworded the premise...
but thanks for the recommendation I guess

Is there anyway to search on this site for the films that are for Europes region? Does the US site even stock them?

The Criterion edition is great even if you already owned the old Blu-ray too. Lubezki supervised the remaster.

You can search by country, should be on the left had side of the page when browsing movies.

Criterion are all region A.

They've got EU region ones now lad, look on Amazon UK.

I thought that was for where the movie comes from? I'll have a look anyway.

>I thought that was for where the movie comes from?
Oh, my mistake, that is indeed what it means.

Picked up LWAC boxset + Tampopo to give to my brother as a gift later

How much is shipping and does Barry Lyndon have any special features worth it?

I hate being Canadian at these moments. Get screwed by the exchange rate and the shipping fees so that the sale isn't a sale at all.

The New World is Malick's best and the Criterion release of it is one of the best looking discs I've ever seen

No worries, doesn't appear to be a way to search, probably safe to assume they're all region A anyway.

>New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
>Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
>New documentary featuring cast and crew interviews as well as audio excerpts from a 1976 interview with director Stanley Kubrick
>New program about the film’s groundbreaking visuals, featuring focus puller Douglas Milsome and gaffer Lou Bogue as well as excerpts from a 1980 interview with cinematographer John Alcott
>New program featuring historian Christopher Frayling on Academy Award–winning production designer Ken Adam
>New interview with editor Tony Lawson
French television interview from 1976 with Ulla-Britt Söderlund, who codesigned the film’s Oscar-winning costumes
>New interview with critic Michel Ciment
>New interview with actor Leon Vitali about the 5.1 surround soundtrack, which he cosupervised
>New piece analyzing the fine-art-inspired aesthetics of the film with curator Adam Eaker
>PLUS: An essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien and two pieces about the look of the film from the March 1976 issue of American Cinematographer

I would say it's worth it especially if you don't own the standard Barry Lyndon blu ray release.

they apparently have Sixteen Candles on the way, too

>buying media

kys

copped Kagemusha, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence and Akira Kurosawa's dreams

Did i do good?

At least Breakfast Club had a big impact on pop culture. They've got Micheal Bay's Armageddon on there for fucks sake.

sure the Criterion version is "more correct," but i prefer the color grading on the original blu-ray

and pls let's not get into a discussion about artists' intention, k?

>Barry Lyndon
>Straw Dogs
>Tokyo Drifter
Come at me

Nice viral marketing Criterion

in this case, Criterion does indeed BTFOs the earlier release

>Akira Kurosawa's dreams
>mfw Scorsese as Van Gogh

I hear you. Still just spent 38 leaf dollars on Videodrome though.

Ask your mom to buy you one as an early Christmas present

>all those polanski films

Criterion is scum

Alright I'm pretty convinced. Its more in the vein of TTRL-style Malick right? And just for a point of reference, what do you think of Malick's last few films?

>tfw they don't ship to Australia
fucking cunts m8 i swear

Not their fault Polanski is a good filmmaker.

It's like a bridge between TTRL and Tree of Life stylistically. The first 1.5 hours of New World is so brilliant that it feels like watching the best movie ever made. The 2nd half is incredible too but the first stretch is genuinely overwhelming.

I really like To The Wonder. Knight of Cups is my least favourite Malick. Song to Song I found pretty decent.

they don't have to carry a pedo's films

>they don't even have Polanski's best movie

trash

Not their fault a pedo is a good filmmaker.