It's a not believing in super natural bullshit without evidence and wanting a rational explanation makes you closed...

>It's a not believing in super natural bullshit without evidence and wanting a rational explanation makes you closed minded episode
What lesson is this supposed to teach children?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8uPmeWiFTIw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you don't want to lose your friends you have to pretend that you go to church

This doesn't apply much today

Sometimes you should shut your fuckin' mouth and sit still.

Also don't be a smug prick when you think you're right. That's it. Don't be a smartass. It's fine to have disbelief, but don't be the smug 14 year-old telling kids Santa ain't real. Also Jews are lizard people because Mary self-fertilized like Komodo Dragons.

But it's okay for others to impose their beliefs on you though?

In most cartoons it's
>OH MY GOSH SOMETHING SUPERNATURAL TOTALLY HAPPENED
>No there is a rational explana-
>NO YOU ARE CLOSE MINDED

Yes, but I fail to see how this can be considered an X-File.

The Supernatural is real. You're being willfully ignorant.

>Scientific minded character strongly refuses to believe in Supernatural/Magical Cliches or Divinity beyond simple skepticism.
>Despite living in a world where those things could very well be possible
>Their main defense is they're scientific minded

>Sometimes you should shut your fuckin' mouth and sit still.

When there's supposedly paranormal events and possible hysteria going on?

Dont be the fedoratipping faggot telling Grandma why shes a sheeple

Yeah that Episode was silly, I mean her talent literally is fucking magic

Not to assume they're automatically right due to a lack of evidence in the past.

In other words, the lesson is preconceptions can be wrong.

Religion is a convenient metaphor, since it also includes the lesson of not being a faggot towards people of other faiths.

The problem is thinking that your "proof" and your "knowledge" is statistically significantly different from anything else. You only know a tiny percentage of even the small amount that you're aware there is to know. a little humility isn't so much to ask

[Citation Needed]

>Religion is a convenient metaphor, since it also includes the lesson of not being a faggot towards people of other faiths.
unless you're muslim

America has had a large number of Muslims since the 1920's where a bunch of refugees were allowed to move to a small midwestern town.

The problem isn't Muslims, its Muslim newfags.

Okay, but when Grandma starts asking why the colored kids go to the same school as the white ones, you're the one who is going to have to explain.

Those episodes are annoying, they just showcase the writer's own ignorance of what science is.

No, but insulting what your friends believe is a quick way to lose them
That's why you don't discuss politics with friends, either. The moment you find something you both disagree strongly on your friendship will suffer greatly.

If you would stop being friends over disagreeing about this type of thing then you weren't that good friends anyway.

It's drastically more valid than faith, AKA "I have no proof and why should I?"

When have newfags NOT ruined a thing? Honest question.

The United States Constitution grants you freedom of religion, not freedom from religion. You can pick your own God or Gods, but you have to pick at least one. No Godless atheists allowed.

>no godless atheists allowed
This is what victim complex driven atheist crybabies really believe.

no it isn't. Grow up.

If they are retarded enough to be religious they honestly aren't worth having.

yeah but a sixth sense is unique only to her friend isn't magic. the fault of that episode is that she was bad at conducting experiments. she just strapped sensors to her fiend's body and did nothing.

This. I have discussions about people's political and religious beliefs all the time even though I am not religious and probably aren't the same politically as them.

The lesson was stupid
>I learned to have faith in something I don't understand because I am lazy and gave up rather than try more to figure out how something works

You know the Jimmy Neutron christmas special that Sup Forums hates? How everyone hated Jimmy for insulting and emotionally scarring Carl just because he thought that believing in Santa was unscientific?

What kind of lesson is that supposed to teach children?

That something that makes another person happy is stupid just because you don't like it?

>That something that makes another person happy is stupid just because you don't like it?

No, something is stupid for being stupid.
But either way it's normally just a character not going full idiot and everyone hating them for it.

>people hate being redpilled
hmm.

No one cared that Jimmy didn't believe in Santa. They hated him for going out of his way to make Carl not believe when it makes him happy and doesn't hurt anyone.

If something that makes someone happy is them being a dick then obviously people aren't going to like it.

And he was fucking wrong.

Name 3 ocasions where it happened.

You're an asshole for being rational. Believe in ghosts and god and all that stuff if you know what's good for you.

>Weird and supernatural things happen all the time
>Someone claims something happened
>Nobody believes it and thinks it's stupid despite it not being anywhere the oddest thing to happen

Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea did that a lot. A giant sea spider and a werewolf happened last week, but you're shocked about a different type of monster?

Well they're not wrong. Everyone knows that ironic deaths await us all. Best to be a believer to avoid tempting fate.

Sokka in Avatar
MLP

>actually been told this at my work

People are fucking gullible.

>People live in the scientific age where logic and science have created an amazing life free of real worry and yet people are spending their time scared of ghosts in their back yard
It's just weird to think about.

The oracle on Avatar got everything right for what we saw.

Also there is a fucking ton of magic on their world.

The people told me that there are things that are explainable through science and that would be classified as supernatural. I told them that there are things that science can't explain yet but that doesn't mean we won't figure it out in the future. Their response was I treat science like a religion.

The most adamant of these people also said that I "trust math too much".

>free of real worry
Besides we'll never be free of superstition since ontop of unstoppable memes planting the inkling of the supernatural in our minds since we're children. But things like ghosts aliens and demons are also manifestations of deeper subconscious concepts. Science is still a long ways away from truly changing human nature.

But to the average Joe the most they see is bending and that is natural to them.

youtube.com/watch?v=8uPmeWiFTIw

>Supernatural element exists, so therefor anything must be possible
>Character gets called an idiot for saying x existing doesn't mean y exists

That you pretentious whiny little hypocrites who want everyone who says "bless you" arrested, fired, assaulted, suspended, sued, and court martialed, and have never been raped, tortured, or had your families murdered for your beliefs, are in fact hateful close-minded bigots.

But it is still supernatural.

And anyway, being "open minded" like OP said, is be open to new things.

Sokka ironically believed bending was magic even though Katara doesn't. Though maybe she's just offended he flippantly called it magic rather than respecting it.

>since it also includes the lesson of not being a faggot towards people of other faiths.
Correct, you're supposed to convert or destroy heretics.

>Berenstain Universe people

In the avatar universe though bending is natural, because it can be observed and follows some sort of laws.

The definition of supernatural pretty much implies nonexistence, at least in the empirical sense.

t. fedora

What's there to explain, blacks and whites go to the same school because their parents pay the tuition.

That there's more to life than just facts.

That being right isn't as important as not being an asshole.

Indeed. There's a lot of lies out there as well.

That /x/ is always right.

The lesson is that you'll be scorned for pointing out the Emperors nudity when he's naked. Why? Because the world is an irrational, illogical circus of absolute insanity. Up is down. Left is right. 2+2=5. Everything you know is wrong.

>The lesson is that you'll be scorned for pointing out the Emperors nudity when he's naked. Why? Because the world is an irrational, illogical circus of absolute insanity. Up is down. Left is right. 2+2=5. Everything you know is wrong.

It's less of that and more of just don't be a cunt.
Just because you're right, morally or empirically, doesn't mean you should be an asshole to the person in the wrong.
It's more about being decent then anything else.

>That something that makes another person happy is stupid just because you don't like it?

>Heroin is bad. Stop doing that.
>It makes me happy you closes minded asshole!

you're thinking of superstition, which is "this is true because i don't know, it just is"
faith is "someone told me, and I believe them" which is a little more valid.. it's also basically what you do when you "know" most things, since it's not as if you ever ran those experiments yourself.

Or just because he's the goddamn emperor.
and what's more likely, that he's wrong and literally everyone else is going with it, or that there's something YOU aren't seeing?

the moral of that story is that kids speak their minds, not that they are automatically right. You should always feel free to speak your mind, but it should be kept in perspective. No matter what, you are still just one person.
If it turns out one person WAS right and everyone else was wrong, it's important not just to laugh it off, but to launch a full investigation into what happened, how the system was allowed to become this way, and basically overhaul everything so that that extremely unlikely event isn't possible anymore

Wematanye

>It's less of that and more of just don't be a cunt.
Being a cunt is subjective. Telling people they are wrong, no matter how polity you do so, will sometimes end in people thinking you're a cunt. Just because people don't like being told they're wrong. There's just not a whole lot you can do about that.

The bigger lesson is that humans like to wallow in their own ignorance. Oh well, nothing you can do about that. So, you might as well let them destroy themselves.

"Excuse me sir, I don't know if you know this, but smoking is bad for your health." "Oh my God, don't tell me what to do cunt!" "Can you believe someone people. Just let him smoke man, life is short." "This asshole wants to ban cigarettes." "Fuck you I need muh cigs." Welcome to Earth.

>that Young Justice episode where Wally refuses to believe magic exists until the eleventh hour
>fucking speedster
>who has worked with Captain Marvel
>doesn't believe in the unexplainable

Also get a good crack out of that

>and what's more likely, that he's wrong and literally everyone else is going with it
North Korea in a nutshell.

Usually it's because the doubter is being smug as fuck honestly

Heroin has several life-threatening side-effects while holding faith in a higher power does not.

Jesus!

This. Most people who think science is the proper avenue through which to understand life don't understand it themselves and just take the words of scientists to be fact. Some of them even pretty much do what they criticize religious people for doing, which is believe what they're told without any kind of actual knowledge just because they've decided a certain authority is trustworthy.

At the end of the day, as both a religious person and a scientist, the only thing I want people to do is go find shit out for themselves and form their own opinions. You shouldn't just trust someone, whether it's Einstein or the Pope, etc. Do your own research and understand the concepts of things yourself. In the eyes of mathematics and science, having someone tell you "oh yeah this is that" and responding with "oh ok" instead of "can I see the data, can I read the verse myself, how did you run your experiement, can you show me a mathematical proof, etc." you're a bitch boy whether or not what you believe is right or wrong. It's not the KNOWING, it's the SEEKING that matters

sorry for the rant

To be fair, you don't just pop a cig into your mouth and not know about the risks at these point.

"Excuse me sir, I don't know if you know this, but smoking is bad for your health" just comes off as preachy and makes it seem as though you're implying that they're too stupid to know the risks.

For fucks sake, they're called cancer sticks for a fucking reason, yet you're going to go in and ask "hey, you may not know this, but did you know that cancer sticks cause cancer?"

I'd put your ass on blast myself and I don't even smoke.

>Most people who think science is the proper avenue through which to understand life don't understand it themselves
They generally understand the processes that went behind how the science is brought about- observation, experimentation, repetition, all around empiricism- which is all they need. Why does every religious person try to act like this is some equivalent shit?

Kid Flash

>They generally understand the processes that went behind how the science is brought about- observation, experimentation, repetition, all around empiricism- which is all they need.

That's definitely not all you need to have something confirmed to you. People that have the mindset you have don't even consider basic objections like third variable arguments and get puzzled as fuck whenever I ask them for more details on what they're saying.
>yeah so this study says this so that's how it is
>oh, that's interesting. what study? what was their setup?
>uh, I dunno

It's equivalent in some cases because there are examples of people on both sides of the fence who don't bother or care to learn something themselves and instead just want to trust some kind of authority. Fuck man, it's not that hard to do a little reading and educate yourself on science and math. I'm not saying I'm a wise dude but I've felt for a while that it doesn't make sense to not pursue the truth of the universe with everything you have. I don't get how someone can not look into things like science OR spirituality and just kind of shrug their shoulders and not give a shit. I'll never get it. Why would you not want to know what's actually behind the shit you believe in?

>believe what they're told without any kind of actual knowledge just because they've decided a certain authority is trustworthy.
Alright go on and try to replicate every single scientific discovery just so you can be sure they work like people told you.

This retarded way fo thinking is what makes people believe they have the qualification to speak in matters they don't understand and that their opinions is worthy of being listened.

I disagree, heroin in the right dosage doesnt do any real harm, its dirty needles and mismeasurements. If it was administered by a clinic no one would die from it.

Faith in a higher power however has proven damgurous as hell time and time again, and its hard to find any of the positives religion used to provide, it really outgrew why it was helpful.

With all due respect kind sir!

>Alright go on and try to replicate every single scientific discovery just so you can be sure they work like people told you.
Not him but every credible source in the field of science and education have citations that allow you to read other people's findings as well as the conditions that they used to reach their conclusion.

And for most scientific journals, there are dozens of sources for you to look into if you want to learn more about a particular subject.

>Alright go on and try to replicate every single scientific discovery just so you can be sure they work like people told you.

It's not even necessarily the need to do that but rather the need to understand the actual logic behind what they believe instead of just "oh this person seems like he knows what he's talking about". If that seems too hard for you than tough shit, I guess.

>This retarded way fo thinking is what makes people believe they have the qualification to speak in matters they don't understand and that their opinions is worthy of being listened.

Nah, that's YOUR retarded way of thinking. People who think like you do are people who are read a "study" and all of a sudden are an expert on animal psychology. Or people who think that evolution is true, but can't explain why, barely understand the most fundamental concepts of genetics. Or someone who thinks that Christianity is true but has never read the Bible, never asked themselves hard questions like "is this translation accurate? what was this originally written in?" or "how was this put together, and when, and why?". Just general ignorant fuckers on from all walks of life who all share the common problem of not investigating shit and just believing whatever they feel like believing at the end of the day, because some dude in a white labcoat or white robes told them so.

You don't need to know everything or even anything. But if you're not even trying to learn about the world, seriously, what the fuck? We should always be in the process of questioning what we believe and investigating it. That's how shit like quantum mechanics came on the scene. It never would've happened if Planck, Heisenberg, etc. thought like you do

Certain types of Heroin can prove life-threatening, even in small doses that would normally be safe to consume.

Meanwhile, religion has helped birth nations, charities, education, and more. There are some dangerous individuals who condone violence but if you look into any large group you'll always find extremists who go too far.

To be honest, it's pretty dismissive to say that religion no longer has any positive effects upon society just because of the actions of a few outliers that don't represent the religion as a whole.

>le "either supernatural has to exist or it has to not exist" meme itt

You shmucks need to get with some dadaism. Seek out the human condition.

I like believing in the supernatural because it just makes the world more interesting. Same thing as souls. I know we're basically a bunch of brain connections and it doesn't go beyond that, but thinking we all have a soul feels warm and fuzzy inside.

Even if we're talking about extremists and ONLY extremists the conclusion is still the same.
>STOP DOING HEROIN YOU ASSHOLES

Personally, I'm more okay with people believing science without looking into it because, science by its very nature invites looking into it and people usually do and shit gets debunked and we all move on. Religion on the other hand is a viral meme that is resistant to critical thinking and can't even be tested so even if you get curious and want to look into it you're going to end up walking and talking in circles until you realize how illogical it is.

The sheer number of man-hours thrown into oblivion is pretty terrible, but a lot of human inventions do that, so meh.

>It's a "character tries to tell others about the crazy supernatural thing they saw, but they don't have proof and look like a crazy person" episode

A minority of violent extremists doesn't undo all the good that religion has done for society as a whole.

It's the same reason why I don't give a shit about a shitty community for shit such as single-player games, movies, comics, etc. because why should I discount an aspect of my life just because of dipshits who I will most likely never interact with on a daily basis?

I never said I was against religion. But if someone is being a stupid asshole it should be pointed out to them.

>What lesson is this supposed to teach children?
Sometimes people believe stupid shit. Some people believe if they wear their favorite team's sports jersey on game day, it increases their team's chances of victory. Some people believe Barack Obama was a good president. Some people believe everyone has a true love. And yes, some people believe there is a god. The point isn't that healthy skepticism is wrong, but it's wrong to be a dick about it.

Being okay with people wallowing in their ignorance because they believe in science instead of religion just puts you on the same level as any other ignorant piece of shit who believes everything they read without putting in the research.
>The sheer number of man-hours thrown into oblivion is pretty terrible
You mean like how we're shitposting in the early AM rather working on shit that could be a better use of our time?

>I never said I was against religion.
Oh my mistake then, I thought you were someone else.
>But if someone is being a stupid asshole it should be pointed out to them.
As long as their stupidity isn't harming anyone but themselves, why exactly is this an issue? If things get especially bad, there's already shit like prison or violence to teach dumbasses why they don't do stupid shit in public.

Like how the gov't is signing in laws to deal with anti-vaxxers.

>Like how the gov't is signing in laws to deal with anti-vaxxers.

Not sure if you're implying that this is good or bad, but actually it could be argued it's good because through their idiocy anti-vaxxers put other people around them at risk by making themselves potential carries of disease to those who may not have had a vaccine yet. And they also fuck up stuff for their kids.

>Being okay with people wallowing in their ignorance because they believe in science instead of religion just puts you on the same level as any other ignorant piece of shit who believes everything they read without putting in the research.
What the hell do you even mean? Am I ignorant if I believe a credible source on a scientific subject? How does that work?

I'm just saying, society already has ways of dealing with idiots once they start to affect people besides themselves.

For the record, it's a good thing that the gov't is signing in laws against anti-vaxxers, I just wanted to make myself clear here.

You're ignorant if you only read one or two articles relating to a subject without putting in the extra legwork towards actually understanding the subject as a whole, like those people who read a "scientific" article on how "dangerous" vaccines are without putting in the legwork to see that there's really nothing to worry about and that most of it is bullshit.

>blacks
>paying
>blacks
>parents
I know this thread is full of people who believe in bullshit, but you take the cake, user.