So according to Wikipedia, he is human and is a cyborg. So what's his backstory...

So according to Wikipedia, he is human and is a cyborg. So what's his backstory? Did he have some "Robocop" style accident where prototype technology was planted in his body?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspector_Gadget_(1983_TV_series)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Chalopin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Bianchi_(cartoonist)
youtube.com/watch?v=2TUOWsMu0yw
youtube.com/watch?v=G-E8IA_sxcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=NprJcyoySFk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Did he have some "Robocop" style accident where prototype technology was planted in his body?
Yes. Exactly this. Didn't you watch the movie?

>Movie
>Original cartoon
>Pick one

>He is looking straight ahead
>But his nose is angled slightly to the left

Why?

Lighting n sheit

Nah senpai, hes not a robot. He works for the interpol police force.

it was the 80s. they weren't thinking very hard about this shit
remember when the 3 stooges got the gadget treatment? actually i think that was before this

>So what's his backstory?
iirc he slipped on a banana peel,
ended up in the hospital
& some doc just installed all that stuff.

A friend of mine when we were a kid had an elaborate theory about this, but I can't remember the details.

Something about Dr. Claw blowing up up with one of those old timey bombs with the fuses in them. It destroyed most of his body so they made him a robocop. I think he got it from the opening credits sequence where Gadget slaps some handcuffs on the "claw" only to reveal it's a fake, and the bomb is in the chair. It's one of those things in the credits that never happens in the cartoon.

I remember *one* line from an episode where Penny offhand mentions that some scientist/doctor working with the police force put the gadgets into his body.

I can't remember which one it was, but I think the doctor appeared in the episode, but I don't think any canon reason was given WHY that they gave him the upgrade.

the guy was a fuckin clutz, he probably slipped on a banana peel and fell into a vat of molten lava.

how could he have a niece if he is a robot? He was biologically human once, thus the relation to penny.

I always wanted to fuck Penny.

He has the same deformation Harrison Ford has.

Was it ever mentionef what happened to Penny's parents? Was Gadget related to her mother or father?

>Didn't you watch the movie?

Unfortunately, yes. I still can't control the jolts of pain when I remember it exists.

Considering she calls him Uncle Gadget, I'd say the chances are rather high.

This.

In the cartoon he was just a human with crime fighting gadgets. The cyborg thing came from the movie.

I always wanted to be Penny growing up, solving mysteries with a laptop and smart watch. Now I crossdress as her but don't solve mysteries. What a world.

>The bomb in the intro sequence was what did it
>Upon being blown high up into the air, he landed alongside claw's prized alphabet statues collection ironically landing in a way that spelled "inspector gadget", but not so ironically shattering his spine on impact, which is what prompted his robot enhancements

I built a computer book when I was about 7.

It was mostly cardboard and stickers.

It sucked.

his neck and arms stretched all over the place, he was part robot for sure in the cartoon.

Nah, you're wrong. He stripped down to his shorts in a few episodes. All human.

tHIS IS NOW A pENNY THREAD

>go in to doc for a check-up
>some quack installs a propeller under my scalp and wheels in my feet
>mfw i get the bill

>Now I crossdress as her
that's just too much information.

Disney's working on a reboot of it.

Same but I taped a calculator inside it.

I always loved the idea of a guy more machine than human, that tries his best to just seem a bumbling cop to hide his pain.

Curiously this is addressed on the second movie, where apparently Gadget's gadgets malfunction because of a defective chip, and so when it is replaced, he becomes super efficient.

It is possible to interpret him as more of an Iron man, since all of the gadgets come out of his clothes. Stretchy limbs is the only real sticky spot then.

Don't the propellors come from his hat according to the French version of the theme song? I don't know much French, but I'm pretty sure I heard chapeau at that part.

I'm not sure what the general heirarchy of source canonicity is but I'm pretty damn sure foreign language theme song lyrics are at the bottom.

He got his nose broke when he was human trying to wrestle a particularly large and unruly negro murder suspect to the ground for arrest.

> Gadget was once a nice but negligent cop
> Dr. Claw wanted to get rid of Penny's parents for some reason
> He plant a bomb in their house, while Gadget was visiting
> Gadget protect Penny with his body, losing most of his body
> Feeling guilty as he couldn't protect his family he accepts becoming a cyborg to protect his niece
> He awkwardly pull a dumb clown act to cheer her up as he doesn't know what to do, trying to pull out a "Life Is Beautiful"
> She accept it but think it's a way to cope with his new condition
> She start studying incredibly hard to help him back
> It end up alright because fuck sad ending

>So what's his backstory?

>They were going to make a Lupin III sequel set in space called Lupin VIII (no joke).
>After Lupin VIII was scrapped, DiC had to come up with something to replace it (they had already committed considerable capital to the project).
>They ultimately created Inspector Gadget. TMS even helped animate the first season.

GOAT theme

As long as they don't cast that piece of shit Matthew Broderick again I'm game.

>Disney's working on a reboot of it
>Makes it dark and gritty
>Keeps the general backstory from the first movie
>yfw Disney accidentally makes a Deus Ex movie

The 3 stoogies all got super powers. I actually remember enjoy that cartoon

>foreign
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspector_Gadget_(1983_TV_series)
>Created by Andy Heyward, Bruno Bianchi, and DiC's founder Jean Chalopin
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Chalopin
>Jean Chalopin (born 31 May 1950) is a French producer and writer.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Bianchi_(cartoonist)
>Bruno Bianchi (c. 1955 – 2 December 2011) was a French cartoonist and animator.
user, Inspector gadget is more French than American.

reminder that this is the official canon Dr. Claw

>that time Inspector Gadget met the Mario Bros

youtube.com/watch?v=2TUOWsMu0yw

he could have just been rebuilt to look human

The fact we will never get a dark Inspector Gadget movie makes me terribly sad indeed.

I very clearly remember an episode in which Gadget is cut in half at the waist and suffers no ill effects from it, so any chance of him being a normal human are pretty much null.

You'll have to settle for this, user.

youtube.com/watch?v=G-E8IA_sxcQ

>I never asked for this, Penny

edgy the hedgy/10

Is a laptop not something like a computerbook?

>Now I crossdress as her but don't solve

Post pics

Kek

brown bricks

Sure thing, user.

While looking for this pic on google, I found an impressive amount of fanart depicting brain doing penny doggystyle. Goodbye childhood memories, we had good times together.

THe number of gadgets he had in the original cartoon was quite limited, though.

safe search has been available for a long time.
Those pics can be found easily, but a cute, non sexual pic, of a topless Penny?

This is the official doctor claw by bruno bianchi.

The text says "sometimes he can be a man, woman, alien, or robot. he's not supposed to appear on screen, let your imagination go wild"

OH DEAR!!
I suppose it had to happen!
One cannot live for long periods of time with the bumbling bufoon without severe psychological retributions.
We shall prepare adequate accomodations for her.

>tfw you remember there is a sequel

Here's a spin-off that never got off the ground.

People actually falled by this!

Judging from the robot dog and that webbing she's cutting through, this appears to be an early version of Gadget Boy.

I'm guessing they reworked it because this female Gadget appears far too competent.

>movie

Grimdark reimaginings of Inspector Gadget are cancer, and the number one example of why fans should never be in charge of IP's.

What even is the point of the storyboard if the animator is just going to do their own fucking thing anyway?

I seem to recall there were some pics of a more grimdark Inspector Gadget cartoon floating round the web in... 2008, 2009? Sadly, it got stuck in development hell.
>THe number of gadgets he had in the original cartoon was quite limited, though.
Well, there were quite a few in his fingers, but they were just for gags most of the time. Besides, the arms/copter/rollerskate gadgets were usually enough to get the job done.
Just as well, because that looks like shit.

>he doesn't like extrapolation.
You shouldn't be so bitter, user. If your pic is anything to judge you by, you're probably getting some really serious gastric ulcers here.

It's hackneyed. Fans think they're being original or clever by making it grimdark. So they ALL do it. It's supposed to be a charming cartoon about a Get Smart style detective, and everyone wants to go the other way with it. It would not work, and it doesn't take a genius to see it.

Anything would have been better than Gadget Boy.

You two should compromise: Everybody treats Gadget as if he's going through a traumatic experience, but in reality he's just confused about his abilities since he lost the manual under his bed somewhere.

According to Maurice LaMarche, Jim Carrey auditioned to voice this guy.

It's a joke. People make them because it's a contrast to the original, not because they actually think it would work better than the original, let alone work at all.

you are ok, user :D

The only compromise I'd give is that Inspector Gadget shouldn't always stumble his way to victory. Accidental success despite being an idiot is so cliche, despite being the core of the series. I'd want him to sometimes be right and aware of who the real villain is, instead of always chasing Brain.

But at the same time, he can't be overcapable, because that undermines the silliness that is supposed to be present.

Then it's a joke that everyone tells. At some point you can't help but roll your eyes and groan about it.

>They're talking about Gadget's incident
>Gadget over hears from another room
>He walks in and argues that he's fine
>Argument gets heated
>Someone yells something in Gadgets face like, 'They don't expect you to be this strong!"
>Gadget just collapses like he's PTSD-ing
>They kneel around him trying to conformt him
>He tells them get off, he's not upset, he just doesn't remember which muscle function locks his knees in yet.

BROWN

True, but for most people it's just them having their go at a concept, much like the "Free the Princess" threads and shit like that, except these go around a lot slower, and doesn't allow for much variety. It's a tired joke, but it's ultimately harmless, and can easily be ignored.

youtube.com/watch?v=NprJcyoySFk

Oh god, it still burns.

So sorry you can't handle a little spirited debate, user. I didn't realize we had to be sensitive on Sup Forums. If you can't handle someone saying an idea is shit, you don't belong here.

Whoa, relax user, I didn't know this meant so much to you. If you hate the concept, that's okay, never said it was a good one, or that I liked it. I'm just saying that if you're getting your panties in a twist over something as harmless as this, you'll come across as a bit pathetic. Just fucking ignore it dude. It's not like anyone is showering it in your face.

>Whoa, relax user
You continue to demonstrate you have no idea that the tone of words does not mean someone is flipping tables over an issue. I can easily call an idea shitty without really caring all that much. The alternative is ignoring it, and that's kind of pointless in a place designed to discuss things, don't you think?

Don't be such an exposed nerve.

>I can easily call an idea shitty without really caring all that much
And I never said you couldn't. I merely pointed out why people do it, since you seemed to have a weird idea of why they did it.
I'm not sure why you responded like you did in but trust me, I do not give a fuck if you hate the concept. I personally have no strong feelings to it either way, so you do you.

He was just countering your point with your own and you went into "sorry you can't handle debate why are you so sensitive?"

It makes sense he'd tell you to relax. If someone disagrees with you, that's the essence of debate.

Woops, I mean countering your point with HIS own.

The "why" doesn't matter, it's a plainly observable phenomenon that fans think it's clever when it isn't. Be it for humor or genuine interest in a direction for the series. It's a surface level observation that a bionic man could be a very grim topic. And it deserves to be called out as terrible.

I openly discussed why it was hackneyed, so there's no reason to give me grief over it, my comments were clearly not just for the sake of being inflammatory.

>I do not give a fuck if you hate the concept.
And I don't care that you don't care, so glad we've moved past this.

I always find funny these sado Peny pics.

>And it deserves to be called out as terrible.
I think this is where we disagree, most likely because it doesn't bother me.
But that's okay. Let's agree to disagree.
>so there's no reason to give me grief over it
Not really sure when I did this, but no grief was meant. Sorry if you took it like that.

Broowwwnnn bricks

It's gotta be a redraw. The improved art looks like it was done by Pepipopo

And maybe Plague of Gripes? I can't place it if there's a third.

No matter how much I drink, I can't forget the early 2000s happened.

Exactly. It's tongue in cheek, basically. If you want Gadget to deliver a monologue about internal pain and suffering, make it about the stomachache he got when he tried to drink some lemonade Penny made for him and accidentally grabbed motor oil.