Why are the prequels so hated even though they're decent movies? What are people so angry about?

Why are the prequels so hated even though they're decent movies? What are people so angry about?

Other urls found in this thread:

vice.com/read/camille-paglia-believes-that-revenge-of-the-sith-is-our-generations-greatest-work-of-art
newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/what-the-seven-star-wars-films-reveal-about-george-lucas
youtube.com/watch?v=2tLf1JO5bvE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>even though they're decent movies?

They really are though. The only reason they're so hated is because they don't hold up to the OT.

every single movie in the entire franchise has been utter garbage

The prequels are great and the only people who hate them are RLM retards and autists.

>lives in a desert
>huge nose
>ugly
>greedy
>employs child slaves
How did Lucas get away with it?

>They really are though
No they aren't

>lmao look at me bro I'm a contrarian xD

nice subjective opinion, can the adults talk now?

Phantom Menace was really a shitty movie tbqh (Still better than Farce Awakens though)

Name one single flaw besides
>muh cgi
>muh "i hate sand"
>muh jar jar binks

even ep 1 is 6.1/10 mediocre

I liked sheev very much

>Hayden Christiansen
>flying R2D2
>Gungans
>magical adult anakin
>gary stu kid anakin
>midichlorians
>phone in performance by Portman

I wondered about this too, and it seems like there a popular group of youtube reviewers that really hate the prequels. People watched this review and just started parroting their opinions.

The last two were the only good ones and then they got worse and worse each time with the last one being a bit better than Clones since it's just not possible to be worse. Haven't seen the new ones.

>nonsensical "villains of the week"

>writting muh in front of the arguments somehow invalidates it

Okay let's not talk about anything besides the story and the action then.
Episode 1 is muddled with politics. It can be there as a setup, but you shouldn't have the main plot be "Two Jedi negotiate with various leaders because of a dispute between two groups in the republic".
Episode 2 has Anakin's worst scenes in the trilogy, and its such a pain every time it cuts to him
Episode 3 is melodramatic to say the least. With Anakin going straight for the dark side without question, and then immediately becoming Darth Vader after the fight with obiwan.

They have absolute dogs hit scripts and plot. Nothing makes sense, everything is boring and everyone acts like idiots. You know that meme "Why didn't Frodo just ride the eagles to Mordor"? The prequels have tons of those moments. Where people act completely illogical and do convoluted things just so the movie can happen. I do think that the ship, creature, alien, set and world design are all really great though. It's just a shame they're in service to a bunch of boring nonsense.

Muh aesthetic from the original isn't being followed, despite the fact it's in a different time period. I demand the next series to try to replicate it as best as it can.

The prequels were much better written, they had actual characters and story, not a bunch of memes and one-liners that lack any emotion or coherence. Luke is a cliched everyboy "hero" that goes through an absurdly rapid transformation between the fifth and the sixth episodes. Anakin's emotional instability and his exposure as a psychopath are gripping; and his doomed relationship with Padme is touching. In the "original trilogy" Han, Leia, Darth Vader and Obi Wan are complete meme characters, nothing about them is remotely believable or human. And why doesn't anyone care about deaths in those movies? Leia's planet destruction, Luke's stepparents' death, all of the blown up rebels--the list could go on--all the deaths are forgotten moments later.

As for direction, the movies from the "original trilogy" were mostly incoherent, badly edited and full of logical problems. The prequel trilogy is a work of a "vulgar auteur".

I feel neutral about the series overall, and honestly don't care about trolling or contrarianism. Here are my sincere rankings:

1. "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones"
2. "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace"
3. "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith"
4. "Star Wars"
5. "The Empire Strikes Back"
6. "Return of the Jedi"
8. "The Force Awakens"

Episode 7 isn't even a Star Wars movies. It is a Marvel flick masquerading as one.

>underage retards genuinely think RLM is responsible for the hate the prequels got
Just stop talking

The first one is below average. Take out Jar Jar and its halfway decent. The second one is one of the worst major money films ever made. The third one is above average.

It's thirty years in the part, not thousand years in the future.

And that's not close to being even in the top 20 shitty things that the prequels did but it was still retarded. Like they didn't even try or care.

>blatant anti-semitism and racism
>decent movie

It's not surprising that the same people who attack the prequels are always unversed in real film or anything artistic, and that the people who praise the prequels (Zizek, Paglia, Brody, etc) are always literate, educated, and versed in real film.

vice.com/read/camille-paglia-believes-that-revenge-of-the-sith-is-our-generations-greatest-work-of-art
newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/what-the-seven-star-wars-films-reveal-about-george-lucas

The fact that everyone points to Plinkett as the authority on why the prequels are bad speaks volumes. Mike Stoklasa is one of the least artistic people on the planet - he can't process movies outside of the conventions of Hollywood films, his approach to narrative is tempered with the same surface-level requisites listed on tvtropes.

Any complaint that people have about the prequels illustrates a weak grasp on film. How many art films would they claim has 'too much sitting and talking'? They would watch the end of Breaking the Waves and whine about dated CGI. Their sensibilities for 'good dialogue' in what is intentionally pulp comes from bad pulp, ie, the original Star Wars, the only pulp they've ever seen. They would similarly view any homage-driven art film and miss the entire point.

Lucas' only mistake in the prequels was doing something daring, original, artistic and literate, not realizing that the manchildren conditioned by the original SW trilogy to loathe anything cerebral would lash out against his cinematic risks.

youtube.com/watch?v=2tLf1JO5bvE

my pasta scouter reads over 9000

>even though they're decent movies?

>only people who hate them are RLM retards
Everyone hated the prequels long before YouTube even existed Billy.

5/10, not for being believable but for being funny as shit.

The blatant racist

The prequels were ok, is just these insufferable millennials who think they're smart when parroting what a handful of contrarians say about the prequels.

also Lucas managed to get away with that space jew.

>MUH NOSTALGIA

fuck off the prequels are way better except for portmans acting.

Anakin didn't exactly go straight to it without question, he's obviously struggling with it the entire movie. He's struggling with being a Jedi because they sorta fear and resent him for his power and sees the his only friend within them as Obi Wan. He doesn't completely agree with their ways because of having a life before being a Jedi, unlike the rest of them, but he's torn because of the good they do accomplish most of the time.

the prequels gave us Sheev, Republic comando, Podracers, good massive fights, actual wars, bunch of lore and stuff. Clone wars, , Darth Maul, Original concepts and bunch of Jedis doing stuff.

TFA is just the SJW crew against le evil autist with no memorable shit whatsoever.

>is just these insufferable millennials
You're likely a millennial yourself brainlet. The prequels were shit on since they released. Episode 1 is notorious for being one of the most disappointing big budget movies of a generation, and none of your historical revisionism will erase the fact that this was generally accepted.

look at this filthy millennial trying to be smart

star wars is all garbage

Found the millennial. Prequels are shit son.

>son

spotted the millennial

Spotted your mom when you were conceived son. She was on the end of my dick ;^)

big talk for someone who was born in the 90's

Born in the 80's pal, which still doesn't preclude one from being a millennial. Your mother should have explained this to you.

>>even though they're decent movies?
you what?

Want to know how I know you were born in the mid 90s?

No one I knew liked the shitquels when they were released in the theaters (except episode 1 because I was in middle school). The mean Slav from RLM didn't invent hating them, he just articulated what was wrong with them, and those videos became popular because everyone born before 1995 hated the shitquels with a passion.
I honestly didn't know anyone liked them until you faggots started posting here like 3 years ago.

i'm not your pal buddy, also i'm pretty sure you were busy playing with your pokemans to even be able to appreciate the prequels.

>everyone born before 1995 hated the shitquels with a passion
wrong

]
>millennials pretending they know people's opinions back then

You're right, there are some retards but they're a minority. My little brother loved episode 1 but he was 7 at the time and wasn't even paying attention to anything except the pod race and the lightsaber fight at the end.

Say what you will about the prequels, bit the first one is unarguably SHIT.

I know it's b8 but I too think they are poor flims

I also disregard the entire series now as an Avant garde ültrafïlmster

The vast majority did. I was there. Ask your mom about it.

You know millennials were born in the mid 80s right to later 90s? Stop using words you don't understand.

I liked episode 1 when i saw it in theaters.
I liked ewoks.
I hate star wars in general and don't understand all the autism associated with it.
I thought anakin and luke were the same character.

>The vast majority did. I was there. Ask your mom about it.
your anger sustains me

Stop thinking about me hate fucking your mom back in the 90s.

the RLM hipster doofus crowd did this

The only people that "appreciated" the prequels were dumb kids that didn't know any better. The people that were the most pissed off and disappointed were the people that had grown up with the originals.

All RLM did was put the common complaints everyone had into a video. They in no way started the hate for the prequels.

Seriously. Every shitquel defense thread is a bunch of faggots born in the late 90s early 2000s thinking that Youtube invented hating those train wrecks.

>Be a kid in the late 70s-80s
>Watch the OT, love them
>Be a kid in the late 90s-2000s
>Watch the prequels, love them
>Be a kid in the 2010s
>Watch the new movies, love them

Can we just assume they're flicks made for kids about an epic battle of good versus evil and that's all?? I love Star Wars, all of it, but they're no fucking kino, they're a simple cashgrab of heroes vs baddies ffs

How did Lucas get away with Watto, Sand People and the Neimoidians? Is he /ourguy/?

>eye-gouging CGI/greenscreens everywhere
>actual production of a first-draft script by a guy who can't write, rubber-stamped by yes men
>bloated fight/battle scenes (Mustafar/Senate fight constitutes thirty fucking minutes of screentime)
>The stone cold badass from OT used to be a whiny bitch as a kid
>Christiansen can't act, Portman phones it in, but McGregor deserves an Oscar
>love story is forced and has no chemistry
>Jar Jar
>CGI Yoda bouncing off of walls
>midichlorians
>wasted villains with neat designs
>overuse of lightsabers made them lame
>Anakin's reasons for becoming Vader and killing everyone he's ever known are stupid
>dumb early-'00s political bullshit

>they're decent movies

I like Sheev and Waldo but the movies are just crap, clones in particular.