What was it like seeing this movie in theatres?

what was it like seeing this movie in theatres?

I was 13 at the time with shitty pleb taste in movies and so it was mind-blowing.

Pretty amazing, I was 13 and watched it without ever seeing a single preview for it

Huh. I too was 13. I still think it holds up, and only the sequels cast a negative shadow over what was essentially a perfect film.

I was 17, it was alright. It didn't make me want to shoot up a school or anything like them Columbine kids did

even at the age of 11 I knew this was steaming trash. I remember saying aloud "this movie sucks" and a cool kid nearby was like "way to go dude"

I was just born when it came out :^)

damn yall old af

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand The Matrix.

I wish I knew, first saw it when dad brought it home on DVD. This and Gladiator were my first rated R movies

loli wasn't even born until 5 years after this movie came out

You must be 18 years or old to browse this site.

Nightmare fuel at that age

I think I was 12 and I didn't know anything about the movie beforehand with my dad and brother, I only cared about the movie popcorn. I though it was decent but didn't find out it was a thing until I went to high school a couple years later

I enjoyed it at the time...

...then I started thinking about how retarded it was that they chose humans to use as batteries instead of another animal...

...then I started wondering about which spastic thought that robots would need the Sun more than humans would...

...and then I stopped enjoying it so much.

:(

Watched it on the Premiere on a huge screen.
Came back the next day high on shrooms...shit was so awesome.
I watched it 3 times in a cinema.

I was 15. It was fun.

this is reddit.... this is memes.... this is reddit.... this is memes....

I saw 2 and 3 in theater during college.

ORGASMIC.

Haven't seen a movie since that equalled the EPICNESS of these 2.

UNTIL Blade Runner 2049

I remember getting chills when Neo first wakes up in his pod, pulls the chord from his throat, then gets flushed by the docbot. Just the look on his face when he peers over the edge and sees the endless rows bodies...

I was young but that scene affected me more than any other scene in a cinema has since

>you'll never relive the sheer amount of hype the Matrix and the LOTR trilogy generated in everyone

It was truly amazing. Seriously everyone was talking about them. Nothing else since then has come close. Game of Thrones is probably the current biggest thing in terms of anticipation among people and it feels like a fart in the wind in comparison.

same. Why is Matrix even r rated? No gore or nipples or f bombs

I was 13 years old and had been seeing commercials for it for weeks. It was fucking phenomenal.

This. They were actually mysterious commercials that didn't blow the whole story like modern trailers do, and the Internet was young enough that the culture of spending months absorbing 75% of the movie through prerelease materials also didn't exist

>...then I started thinking about how retarded it was that they chose humans to use as batteries instead of another animal...
Supposedly the plan was for humans to be used as bio-cpus or somesuch, but executives thought people wouldn't get it, so we got batteries instead.

how is it that the first was so mind blowingly good and the 2 sequels were so shit

>what was it like seeing this movie in theatres?
This was a sleeper, word of mouth was that it was good but when I saw the preview it was impossible not to think of Johnny Mnemonic (which was fucking shit), So for my friends and myself it wasn't a priority to see.

I was like 16 or 17 at the time and my dad asked if I wanted to go see it, I remember not really being all that interested.

I remember being blown away honestly, there wasn't anything like that I had seen before. And I made it a point of telling as many people as I could how cool it was. FWIW I remember people having the same reaction about fight club when it first came out.

Anyway me and a bunch of friends went to go see it while on of them was tripping on shrooms, she was not a fan of the bug scene.

fucking based everyone wearing black and trench coats after, then some fags shoot up a school.

I always thought and still think, that the second is still a pretty good movie.

But the third is so bad it's a massive kick in the junk, and since the second is a middle movie with no end of it's own, it wears the third movies (deserved) awful reputation.

This. They were originally supposed to be nodes in a neural network or a source of computation and the Matrix as part of the software interface to the brain

Awesome!!!

This is true
I have the box set and when I was younger I thought Reloaded was alright.
I recently re-watched the original and my gf was seeing it for the first time. We both really liked it. Put Reloaded in and turned it off after roughly 40 minutes. They took a solid, unique, well paced action film grounded in philosophy and turned it into a generic "save the human race" superman story that dragged on and on. We never did finish it.

I was 11 or 12 so when it came out, I had seen only a couple of preview and the movie looked pretty dumb. Went to my local cinema with my cousin who was adamant about watching it. The first 15 min or so I hated it, I thought it was going to be one of those absurd over the top martial arts movies. But as the movie progressed I was completely hooked and blown away. I remember at school for a whole year this is what everybody was talking about including the teachers.

>aunt and uncle have dvd player
>every time we visit we put on the matrix

It was fantastic, i was 15 years old, remember seeying lots of girls around, my aunt took us there, she always gathered money so we could watch a movie together every 5 months, me and my brother was there also my cousin who was my role model, alpha black kid who was tall very chadish for his age, we watched the movie then we fought kung fu whenever we could, as we grew i felt some growing disdain for him, he was always better at everything i did, except drawing, but i only draw to make friends, i become slightly good at it because i was THAT lonely ...
Later on when i acumulated enough friends i started avoiding him, i though i could show him who was the boss now that i can replace him by a thousand faces, he stopped coming to my house eventually, by 18 onwards we had no contact whatsoever, i heard he was in a car crash, he survived unharmed, but people said he was crying saying he missed his mom, he rarely stays at home, now i am on my late 30s, all the faces i replaced him for are gone and forgotten, he probably replaced me too, he always been a chad though strangely lonely.
I wonder if thinks of me when he sees this movie poster.

I wish i could move like neo so i could catch all bullets with my head.

fuck

never saw it in a theater

watched it on DVD like 8 months afterwards

I'm still impressed by how stylish Morpehus' jacket is everytime I watch

Tfw battle of Gondor on big screen

oldfags get OUT

SHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET NIGGA, RESPECT.

are all these Matrix threads just because it's on Netflix again?

>that triumphant music at the end

wish i heard in in a theatre i would have came

>ywn never have one of those cookies the oracle makes

>I always thought and still think, that the second is still a pretty good movie.
The highway scene is GOAT. I haven't watched it in a few years though and I'm worried it hasn't held up.

Go to sleep kid tomorrow is a school day.

>have dream about people running on ceilings
>matrix 3 comes out
>people run on ceilings
mind blown

You spend the next 30 blocks walking home with your university mates taking about how it remembered you of playing Quake II and explaing it (what is Quake) to the girls.

I was 19 and I remember it vividly. I went to it like any other "maybe" good movie. I was blown away.

So, fuck you. I'll remember talking about it to three hot girls while walking back to our dormitories. Memories you can't take from me.
"We humans are like a virus".

One of them was especially good to me a few days after. Good times.

>are all these Matrix threads just because it's on Netflix again?
I guess people forgot how to internet.

>that awkward as fuck sex scene in Reloaded

Yeah we were both a little squirmy, it went on an uncomfortably long time

That neck flick gets me every time

I didn't see it in the cinema, saw it first when I got one of those newfangled DVD drives for my PC and my dad borrowed some DVDs from a workmate so I could test it out. I still have those DVDs, hahaha.

It was a few years before I found out a couple instances of headbutting had been removed from the DVD. British censors are weird. I happened to watch it when it aired on TV and was surprised. Also for some reason on TV it was just titled "Matrix" rather than "The Matrix", which was odd

me and lil bro used to do that to each other after seeing it

Does it actually hurt? I used to know a little black kid who actually liked it when I picked him up by his neck and slam him onto the couch. The dude was like 7 at the time but he's an adult now and I'd bet he likes getting the shit beat out of him during sex

> I used to know a little black kid who actually liked it when I picked him up by his neck and slam him onto the couch
what the fuck am i reading

Yeah he would always want me to show him wrestling moves but not how to do them
He basically just wanted me to beat the everloving life out of him

it was ok. i watched an old man beat his grandson 3 rows down from where i was.

>The late 90's.

I want to go back, Sup Forums. I WANT TO GO BACK!

I knew nothing about it. I thought it was a crime drama where a mathematician uses math to solve crime for some reason. I was pleasantly surprised and sat at taco Bell accross the street with friends for two hours discussing it. Both the taco Bell and theater don't exist anymore.

I was 8 in 99 but I didn't see the Matrix in the cinema. I remember an older cousin of mine watched this and she told me everyone was pretty much WTF after the first half of the movie. Cinemas here have a break in the middle of the movies. So everyone was super confused and didnt understand shit after the first half. I remember this. And I remember literally everyone talking about Matrix for months. I only got into the hype after the second movie so I only watched the third in the cinema. They HYPE was really real for the last one tho.

>ocarina of time
>goldeneye 007
>bomberman 64
>LOTR
>the matrix

Animatrix scared me shitless a kid.

The robot strangling that old guy and 12-3 year old me getting a close up of his face as his head gets split open with the robot's hands fucked me up hard.

>animatrix
>that ass

fapped to it

Just imagine if the Wachowskis had developed any/all the ideas in the Animatrix instead of Reloaded and Revolutions.

fucking kek