How long before VR technology becomes good enough to be used professionally for animation?

How long before VR technology becomes good enough to be used professionally for animation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MfJ4pA8ngDo
youtube.com/watch?v=fsnDbealN9E
3dconnexion.com/products/spacemouse/spacenavigator.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That depends on if vidya doesn't screw over VR. We are already of to a shake start since famcebook bought the oculus.

It already is. 3D movies use virtual cameras that can move around the set as needed while the scene is ongoing.

And by 3D, i mean CGI. This technology has been in use since The incredibles, at the very least.

There are a few animations using VR.

This one called Allumette did a fake claymation style with you standing in front of the stage as the little characters walk in. Leaning in and looking around it, like a table of living miniatures. It was pretty neat.

360 video is pretty good but lacks the 3D. However one of the demos I tried on Oculus seemed to fix this somehow. Both cgi and live footage had depth. So there's that.

The big problem with pre-render video is it's massive resolution.

Alright then, how long until people start animating in VR?

You can sculpt and scan the sculpt directly into a computer model. You can do this for animations if you set up the sculpt like a stop motion puppet.

Doing this in full VR means that there is no physical object to hold, and actually decreases the value of using your hands for this kind of task.

In other words, it can be done, but nobody does it because it sucks.

Good question. Making and animating asset for a game engine is a bit different to just rendering it out. You have to keep things looking good in realtime and don't have as many effects.

The fuck are you even talking about? People have animated without physical touch for decades. If anything, VR will enable people to directly interact with animation again. Being able to pose figures with hand controllers.

You're getting a far more expensive rig for the same quality result. Hell, the result will be worse qulity due to animators who do shit by hand not having feedback and animators who do shit with other tools such as mice and tablets not being used to use this.

You get better results with motion capture and/or physical models. These physical models can even be connected to a computer and used to directly animate the rig. These are virtual reality techniques that actually work due to having proper feedback. So, technically, we already use virtual reality animation professionally. It's just that it sucks, so it's not widespread.

>You're getting a far more expensive rig for the same quality result.
Do you have any clue how expensive professional animation equipment is? A headset and controllers is pocket money in comparison and will get cheaper in time.

>Hell, the result will be worse qulity due to animators who do shit by hand not having feedback and animators who do shit with other tools such as mice and tablets not being used to use this.
I've used medium and multiple games with touch controls and say you don't know what you're talking about. 3D hand controls beat the living shit out of a mouse and even tablets. You're not struggling to get a brush or object at the right angle on 2D screen because you can just grab it with your hand and place it.

>headset and controller
>A quality vr rig
You clearly are talking about consumer equipment and not professional shit.

So what would the professional gear be and how would it make any difference?

I see this enough times on Sup Forums. People making up requirements or expenses, just to win their little internet argument.

Thinking on it, it would be pretty cool to see traditional stopmotion recorded through a 360 camera. That's a lot of work for something that can only record low quality though.

Another idea would be 3D capture. For every frame that have to scan around the puppets to update the changes.

>Another idea would be 3D capture. For every frame that have to scan around the puppets to update the changes.
youtube.com/watch?v=MfJ4pA8ngDo
And I distinctly remember a Jurassic Park feature that showed them with purpose built figures like that.

I'm judging from the virtual camera used for the incredibles needing an entire room for itself. And that just films, there is no affecting the stage.

...what? I don't get your meaning. Do you think people 'buy' each camera and prop used in a 3D program or something?

Never.
VR just as a viewing device for a static film like youtube.com/watch?v=fsnDbealN9E
is kinda a one trickpony mixed with sevral motion sickness.

If you go with a moveable view, the animators have to animate or construct a whole world/scene which makes the animation not cheaper. If you can move and see clippings or flat buildings than it will always be a down because it demolish the vr idea.

And mostly, like today cgi in movies, vr will be the gimmick, but it will lack of storytelling or the vision. The unique will be vr but the experience might be bland and hollow.

So it will never used in animation because of cost, several lacking user expirience and proper plot/storytelling.

> because you can just grab it with your hand and place it.

I understand you argument. But still a keyboard is suprior.
What you describe is that either through programming i have to move my controller 10 cm for activating controlls or i need a glove that can understand what my fingers do and translate into virtuel keyboard.

At the moment a keyboard is superior with price and reachability.

If i want to change weapon, i have to moce 2 cm with one of 5 fingers. or use the mouse wheel. if i want to highlight a not from me seeable unit or want to start an action not combined with an object, i just click the right button.

In VR i have to grab towards my weapon or have to seek the virtuell keyboard with my full hand while im kinda moving.
If its coded by movement of my hand, i have to make the right movement to select it.
Using a grabbing device, im limiting my hands to 3 buttons each. because i have to grab them.

There have to be very much work for a better vr device use.

>But still a keyboard is suprior
Nigger, do you even 6DoF??
3dconnexion.com/products/spacemouse/spacenavigator.html

Is it really that hard to move your hand to your hip and back?

Remember back in the 00's when Marvel, Nick or whoever tried to do those webisodes which were 3D models rendered on a player. That's probably close to what vr animation will be like. Unity already supports a browser based player.

It takes 3 seconds while on a keyboard its just an 1/3 second to 1/2 second max if its a bigger distance.

As an example a fps is quicker in the aiming than a real soldier.

Its just more muscle movement and time. thats why fps and other games are played with keyboards in competition.
But if the game get less complex it would increase in VR usability.

So what?
Can you select a prior group by pressing or b copy, paste delete, color, undo, redo, mask, group objects, move objects, on/off shader, on/off lightning, play, rewind, new scene, new object or movement course?
No, thats why keyboard is suprior, the needed vr devices arnt there yet or precise.

It sounds like you could use the exercise.

I could. Im still 10 kg above normal weight for my height.
But VR wont help, i need exercise that trains certain areas than just mildly arm and leg movement.