Mad Men

So I just finished watching Mad Men for the first time after hearing the usual hype about it. Tell me why it's good because I barely enjoyed it other than the few times it was a period piece.

Meh. It's HEAVY propaganda. Looks good, but it's basically social engineering and revisionist history.

>just finished watching Mad Men

The whole series? The first episode? Please specify? Not enough data.

It's good because Christina Hendricks has a comforting, relaxing body.

it's a marxist essay on the human condition

the whole series. Started a few weeks ago on Netflix

She's fat. Her girdle deserved an Emmy.

Pretty much

It unfold almost like a good novel, slowly and with subtle exposition of the characters

If you don't read much I don't think you'd enjoy it

It's fine.Well made even. The problem is it's literally chock full of propaganda.

if you didn't get it after watching the whole show then that's your fault faggot

Social engineering how? Revisionist how?

Ok, just checking. Some fools come on here passing judgement after two or three episodes of a show. That seems I'll advised with any criticism, to only consider a small part of a whole.

>I barely enjoyed
turbo pleb
>Netflix
checks out

How do you watch 70+ hours of something and not figure out I'd you enjoy it or not long before that point?

Take some pride in or at least acknowledge how you're spending your limited time in this world.

It's fine if you're gay but it does mean you have no place commenting on women's bodies.

>stuff that doesn't agree with my far-right views is propaganda

hurrrrrr

He's full of shit

I made it to season 4 because that's when someone said it got good, by that point I figured I better finish it since it seemed like a big deal of a show.

>I watched 92 hours of content and didn't enjoy it

Its a view of mid century America as told by post century observers. It is by nature loaded with interpretations that would inconceivable to people from that era.

If that series was made by the type of people it portrayed, in the time period it was set, it would also seem to be full of social engineered propaganda.

That's how history and story telling work. When we look back we are dazzled and confused by things we didn't experience and our attempts to give meaning and intentions to the players of those stories are really more reflections of ourselves and our understandings.

Likewise, stories made by the people of the time about themselves are likewise clouded in self deception, self aggrandizement, and a lack of critical self understanding. It is rare the person that can look objectively in the mirror.

So you're claiming it's somehow made by both groups of people, and embodies both of those because of that?

I mean I also watched Suicide Squad and Rogue One and didn't enjoy them. Glad I watched though

Basically saying tv shows shouldn't be considered as reality and they are obviously loaded with more content when compared. Wow.

so?

No, she's literally overweight. It's not my opinion.

'''Mad Men'''

>it's a pleb thinks Mad Men is about the setting episode

Tobacco is evil

The moon landing happened and was super serial

You go girl, slayyyy, you don't need no man.

In one of the last fucking episodes, Peggy was fucking complaining that pregnancy had repercussions. That it was somehow the patriarchy being unfair.

I could go on and on and on.

Show was semi-garbage.

I wanna rub my face in her belly after being bullied.

my grandmother watched it and said it was very accurate and it captured the 60s accurately

This user gets it.

Go down to the local Krispy Kreme. It will be heaven on earth for you.

No, that's not at all what I was saying. I am saying that 21st century people cannot really make a show about 20th century people because we cant really truly understand them. Likewise, 20th century people wouldn't be able to make a show about themselves that really explained themselves because they wouldn't be capable of explaining themselves in a way that would make perfect sense to us. No matter what direction the telling and interpretation goes, both the observer and the observed distort the vision of each other by thier understanding of themselves.

Now, admittedly human beings and human emotions and motivations dont change too rapidly over time and likely there is.much we can understand about humans in any time period going back to Homer. Humans have a sort of universality that goes back to time immemorial.

But what you say is sort of right. At best, we are looking at our own selves when we watch stories set in other times. We are comparing and contrasting our perceptions of ourselves with people that we believe to have been different than us in some way. We cant really understand thier culture. But we can imagine and try to understand. In the end, its ourselves we are thinking of.

L O W E S T T E S T

S H I L L

fuck off faggot

Throw in them pretending some fat chick was the hottest woman ever.

>copypasting ready made sentences
I hate you and everything you stand for.

Except those movies are fucking 90 hours shorter, you idiot.

Because your grandmother was a degenerate whore, probably a jew too, which makes YOU a jew. Fuck off, Chaim.

It is about the setting, you retard, why the fuck else would it be set in the 60s? The things that happen in the show wouldn't happen in today's culture.

>It is about the setting, you retard, why the fuck else would it be set in the 60s? The things that happen in the show wouldn't happen in today's culture.
this literally makes no sense.

I didn't like it. It was well made and the setting was cool, but I wanted the majority of the characters to die.

nice tautological argument.....'retard'

And what the fuck does that have to do with anything? By your logic everything is propaganda because obviously everyone has a distorted vision of reality because of their upbringing, culture, etc. so calling Mad Men propaganda in the first place is retarded because everything is, hence nothing really is.

Peggy's story ends with her settling down with a man. I remember a lot of nu-males and feminists were mad her story didn't end with the shot of her with the cig in her mouth walking into her new job.

Nice non-arguement... retard.

Here is why I like it

>good acting
>good fleshed out setting
>entertaining dialogue and subtle jokes
>interesting premise (the pitches and ads were some of the most entertaining things of the show)
>characters you can sympathize with
>characters that you love to hate
>its use of colors and directing (probably one of the most well lit and colorful shows while keeping its tone grounded)

Don
>gary-stu super cool guy everyone loves
Roger
>le snappy dialogue man
Peggy
>yasss queen slay!
Joan
>le don't mess with me because i am EMPOWERED
Pete
>le hardworking meanie with a heart of gold

meme show

extreme idiocy

true feminism is denying yourself companionship and happiness

pointing out that your argument is tautological IS an argument dummy.

I just want a comfy mad men thread...

No it's not, he's just attacking the argument but not giving an argument as to why Mad Men is not about the setting.

You sound utterly stupid.
If you didn't see the appeal but can't pinpoint any problems with it, you're just a fucking idiot.
MM is probably the best show ever.

t. Shlomo Shekelbergstein

>MM is probably the best show ever.
MM is a longgggggg and very glossy exercise in selling historical revisionism.

If you really think that, i think you're just missing the point of the show.
The show is about identity, power and a pretty generalized feel of emptiness in a capitalist world, not about history per se. History is just a vehicle.

Agreed, it's basically propaganda to make you think Americans have always been degenerate, makes me sick. Girls sleeping around, getting abortions left and right, etc

I didn't like it either, never bought the meme that it was the best show on TV it felt like a sop opera and none of the "drama" had any impact on me.

the plot was just people going to work and not being entertaining, ad watching don pull tail, and roger be cool.

I can't see how people really thought it was that good of a show.

What's really funny is when i'm drinking with bros and someone mentions mad men, i'll say it bored me, and a bunch of guys will sigh in relief and agree as if they were being pressured to like it or their families will die

>the plot was just people going to work and not being entertaining, ad watching don pull tail, and roger be cool

user, I say this with the most well intentions, and this shouldn't be taken lightly. You are a pleb. No denying it, turn off your television, never use it again, and find something else to do with your life. Get a different hobby.

>super cool guy who everyone loves
Literally gets fired and divorced twice. Has no real human connections outside work.

>peggy as mary sue
Has skills which she develops as she is mentored by Don. Slowly becomes confident and assertive as those skills manifest.
>empowered joan
Literally whored out and belittled.

>heart of gold meanie
lets just ignore entire development of pete from slimy wasp to disappointed family man, to actual adult.

>the plot was just people going to work and not being entertaining
That's what makes it genius, dummy.
For all it's conservative narrative storytelling, it was a subversive show in it's core.
But you stupid faggots wouldn't understand.

you're missing the point. The design and the drama are really just their to sell the bullshit history and social politics.

>For all it's conservative narrative storytelling, it was a subversive show in it's core.
by this you mean it was propaganda for banksters right?

ITT A show "about" the 60s is criticized when the characters in the show have opinions about the topics discussed in the 60s.

how the fuck was mad men subversive?

Ugh.
Thank God i'm not an american.

Whats funny is you call me a pleb, and maintain the pressure I mentioned that i'm supposed to like it for some vague aesthetic reason i'm missing beyond the sheer boring scene by scene glimpse into the past where black people didn't exist.

But the fact is you're a pleb for maintaining a popular opinion which really can't be defended in with any memorable scenes beyond "carousel" and "what do women want, *who cares" An entire season can go by with nothing happening except someone fucking, and brit hangs himself.

>propaganda to make you think Americans have always been degenerate

this

what was that shit about? It was almost forcing modern amorality into the 50's.

and the least they could have done is make it satirical and fun to watch.
It was like they were being dead serious representing people at that time.

I used to think Mad Men was the best show ever, then I watched Twin Peaks and now I think it's garbage.

>implying american banksters aren't yours too.

The one part of the show that's undeniably liberal propaganda is the opening of season 5 when those guys drop the water balloons on the negroes and the "they call us savages" line. Why was that even in there?

is it really that good?

It told a story of universal angst in plain, everyday stories. The details on the show are unbelievable, when you study it's direction and acting.
I have never seen a show telling so much with so little as with this show, even when it's using conventional storytelling devices. The Suitcase is breathtaking, literally TV took to a new level.

>But the fact is you're a pleb for maintaining a popular opinion which really can't be defended in with any memorable scenes beyond "carousel" and "what do women want, *who cares" An entire season can go by with nothing happening except someone fucking, and brit hangs himself.

Hmmm, dat projecting.

Its easy to find a pleb because they merit shows based off of "memorable scenes" instead of the sum of its parts, its directing, its progressions, its themes, and its use of what they are given.

>what was that shit about? It was almost forcing modern amorality into the 50's.

Show never took place in the 50's, only the 60's and 70's, for someone who trashes it you sure know nothing about it. It wasn't forcing "modern amorality" either, amorality has been a thing since philosophy was thought up. The 60's was a time of change, it was a sexual revolution.

Again. Please turn off the television and never use it again pleb.

that's not what subversive means dickwad

It's the only complete auteuristic kino television experience to date.

It is. It shouldn't have worked. But it did.
It's a contradictory show, the way it's made and what is trying to say. You're just stupid.

>its progressions,
don fucking and smoking
everyone smoke
people sitting around pitching

>hurr it doesn't need memorable scenes

you're obviously like those jews that present shit and piss on a canvas and call it modern "art" and scoff at the lowely people who don't get the nuance of the piss and shit smeared on the canvas.

silly me for sitting through several hours and expecting something memorable or worth the time watching. Even a subtle dialogue excchange will satisfy me, but no its just like watching paint dry.

>Please turn off the television and never use it again

I probably will if that sorry ass excuse for entertainment is what counts as tv nowadays.

>don fucking and smoking
>everyone smoke
>people sitting around pitching
Jesus christ, just fucking kill yourself

stop repeating words you read on some douchebag's blog reviews

What was so great about the suitcase? I agree it was fantastic and MM was my favorite show to watch. Loved it so much I watched the series twice, starting the first episode the next day after I had finished the last episode the night before.

>waah a bunch of people don't like the shit show they're idiots
>i'm smart because I listen to the deep voice AMC guy when he tells me it's good and watch it after Breaking bad!

>It's a contradictory show, the way it's made and what is trying to say.

what is it really trying to say that other shows don't already?

>its progressions
Sure Don smokes, but did you notice in around season 5 he gives it up? He then preemptively fires Lucky Strike. Then later down the line when his work cut him down and grounded him to nothing, he picks it up again and the goes back to sleeping with strange women instead of his wife?

Yeah that went over your head asshole.

>hurr it doesn't need memorable scenes

Didn't say that you fucking mongoloid. I said that putting a merit on the show solely based on the memorable scenes is fucking retarded and something only plebs do. You need to find reasons why something is good.

instead of going "HURR DURR that scene was so fucking cool because he fucked a hot bitch" you go "the show is great because its directing gets its message across while remaining tight, the writing it well done and evokes emotion, and its use of colors fills the mind with the right tone"

See the difference?

Don't turn off the tv, turn off your life support.

>come into the thread expecting anons to start discussing the show with OP
>it's mostly just Sup Forums-rejects bitching with their tinfoil hats
I miss the actual, old Mad Men threads we used to have when the show was ongoing.

Same thing man, same thing.

Do you fucking speak english?
I literally said it elevated the medium, that's literally the definition you posted. It set new ground for TV writing, you dense motherfucker.

I know, man. /sc&p/ threads were a blast, back in the day. I'll never forget the last one we had, for the finale, with like 700 posts.

Sup Forums singlehandedly ruined this website.

elevated is not the same as subverted "dense motherfucker". go back to rèddit, maybe your juvenile word of the day analysis will get more traction

>semantics
>go back to rèddit
Where did everything go so wrong

>use incorrect word
>get butt flustered and try and defend yourself
brainlets like you are responsible for the downfall of this website. L U R K M O A R

bump