What does Sup Forums think of DW Griffith?

Is he the greatest director? If not, what do you think prevents him from being such

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mNUnCTKwS8Q
youtube.com/watch?v=tJ9rhuPvlYc
archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/filename/DW Griffith smirks in disgust.jpg/
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/80812889/#80859765
i.4cdn.org/tv/1508310901894.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=PKuGwROHSg4
youtube.com/watch?v=4ZztDT01CII
youtube.com/watch?v=tej00K8Dwgg
youtube.com/watch?v=uw3p_pNz5mU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

his movies are the most basic shit
every other director can do what he does but more

>every other director can do what he does but more
Funny, if they could why don't they? Why don't they improve? nobody since has been able to surpass nor replicate his ability for the intelligent dialectic contrast and minimalist mise-en-scene. Nor has anyone been able to exhibit more range as an artist than him or confound the audience more than his depth and complexity for reality-piercing truth. More equals less. The scant equal but separate would be Robert Flaherty.

Doesn't hold a candle to Emily Jean's work.

>Citizen Kane 4 1/2 stars
>One Foot in Heaven 2 stars
Bruce, I have a bone to pick with you.

It's time to stop following Best Picture nominees and go back to the 30s. You skipped everything that matters

well nothing released after January 1, 1940 is good anyways so does it really matter that much

>Little Foxes 3 stars
>Our Town 2 stars
Bruce, you need to stop craving visual entertainment. It's a detriment.

good thing ur talking about bruce cuz i didn't give Our Town 2 starts

Crane shots and tracking shots don't make a good film

Thank you for this one Bruce. Emily Bean looks very sexy when she's about to break her chair

Does this look like Citizen Kane, Bruce?

i don't see orson welles there, you're thinking of a diffant movie

What was it that you like about Citizen Kane, Bruce? You said in your review you liked the examination of Kane, but in the end everything was more or less wrapped up. Fugitive of a Chain Gang and Five Star Final were better character studies

I watched Birth of a Nation, and other than the famous cross-cutting sequence, it was really fucking boring. And I'm not saying that just because it's old. Some my favorite movies are from the 1920s/1930s.

>Fugitive of a Chain Gang
you're right

>really fucking boring
>some of my favorite movies are from the 1920s/130s
That's because Griffith isn't a clown, he doesn't make entertainment like Murnau, Lang, and Keaton. He challenges you. The biggest pleb filter

That was trick, Bruce. You just exposed your brow. Fugitive of a Chain Gang is shit. Hell's Highway is better

That was trick, megaautist. You just exposed your brow. Fugitive of a Chain Gang is shit. La La Land is better

>other than the famous cross-cutting sequence
The whole work employs crosscutting. There is no one sequence. You just exposed your brow.

In a 2017 interview Damien Chazelle said "I loved Birth of a Nation and particularly loved the ideas he took from me."

At least see a single Busby Berkeley musical before you make that comment, Bruce. Though, I have a feeling you will largely hate them, so instead hold reservation until Les Girls directed by George Cukor

I never said otherwise. But only one sequence is famous for it.

>1972
Griffith, meanwhile, was floored by “La La Land” just like the rest of the audience. “You could feel it,” says Griffith. “It was so beautiful.” Griffith was already a fan of Chazelle's debut, “Whiplash”

Why are you still in this thread after you exposed your genetic deficiencies to everyone around. You're a disgusting insect. Be grateful I don't crush you and carry on.

there's a limit to how much you should worship someone for being innovative when their innovation was over a hundred years ago

Les Girls is 1957, Bruce. Read the filename before spout inanities

My aunt used to live in Paris. I remember, she used to come home and tell us these stories about being abroad and I remember she told us that she jumped into the river once, barefoot.
She smiled... Leapt, without looking. And tumbled into the Seine
The water was freezing, she spent a month sneezing, but said she would do it again

Why is Ulysses considered the greatest novel, but Intolerance isn't considered the greatest film

Honestly if Birth of a Nation wasn't an epic about the post war South and was almost anything else Griffith would be regarded even more highly then he is. If you watch Birth of a Nation and Intolerance which were the culmination of Griffith's film techniques and compare that to films made today its remarkable how much of it is practically the same, 100 years after his two masterpieces and people stick to almost the same formula.

Griffith would never say that.
Emotionalism is coddling

Griffith would say that.
Emotionalism is Griffith's favorite thing in the world

Ya no shit now we can. Have you not seen how movies were shot before him? Boring as shit, thank him for evolving movies to films

If it's the same, why are they so fucking boring? I was forced to watch both in film history, but holy shit his pacing is so fucking slow. The action scenes were the only semi-interesting parts

Griffith's crosscutting and closeups are detrimental to film form. If anything, he was behind the times compared to his contemporaries like Yevgeni Bauer, and set back film for a near century until James Benning, Bela Tarr and Weerasethakul picked up the reins

better than griffith
youtube.com/watch?v=mNUnCTKwS8Q

>Birth and Intolerance
Broken Blossoms as well is essentially Tarkovsky and Antonioni

youtube.com/watch?v=tJ9rhuPvlYc

pretty sad that there's a personal vendetta towards his work, specially with modern revisionist "critics"
the man pretty much created the whole medium, had revolutionary ideas, created UA, Hollywood, had so many inventions and inspired everyone (demille, ford, stroheim) but is still supposed to be an antagonist for some reason
of course retards like OP don't help his case

Why is op a retard, I learn a lot from him when I stop mouthing off like a hooligan with Tourette's.

>That Greenway interview
Cringe-inducing.
What did John Ford do?

>why am i a retard?
archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/filename/DW Griffith smirks in disgust.jpg/

>I can only throw petty insults at individuals smarter than me because I have no other way to harbor my jealousy and defend my sloppy rhetoric
It's easier if you leave now, consider it pity but not sympathy. Don't want to shatter what fragile ego you have left. You might have a nervous breakdown

Griffith is the silent equivalent of capeshit

no that'd be feuillade
why is everything you post so cringy and non-threatening?

reminder that OP is a nigger baby lover

see here Your fits of jealousy and attempts at spite or embarrassing and quaint. Keep'em up. Better entertainment than any movie.

see here

>afraid to post address
Oops!

Oh no, he ran away like a scared little rabbit!

Emily Jean Vigo > Griffith

Bruce, what are you watching tonight?

I'll be watching Emily moving farther and farther away from my grasp as I reach for her

Greatest art films ever made (propoganda disconcerned due to affiliation with state or body of people rather than individual; realism and historical/societal/psychological/documentarian focus; adaptations dismissed for being connected with other medium; emphasized skillful cinematic technique of subtle suggestions and forceful participation of audience; dismissal of "trash" genres):

The Big City, Les Mystères du Château de Dé, Theme et varitions (Theme and Variations), Debrug, Nass River Indians, Blue Bottles, The Italian Straw Hat, White Shadows in the South of Seas, The Passion of Joan of Arc, The Cock-Eyed World, Drifters, Finis Terræ, Melody of the World, Nazaré, Praia de Pescadores, Man With a Movie Camera, Rain, Borderline, Aimless Walk, People on Sunday, A propos de Nice, Under the Roofs of Paris, Tabu, The Blood of a Poet, Limite, Autumn Fire, The Sea of Ravens, The Miracle Woman, Night Nurse, Working Girls, Fugitive from a Chain Gang, I Was Born, But..., Red Headed Woman, Kameradschaft, Labor on the Douro River, Daïnah lamétisse, Borinage, Midnight Mary, The Land Sings, The Gold Diggers of 1933, Medium-Class Train, The Great Consoler, A Man's Castle, The Power and the Glory, Our Daily Bread, L'atalante, Legong, An Optical Poem, The Plow That Broke the Plains, Pepe le Moko, Redes, Night Mail, How You See It 1936, Make Way For Tomorrow, Holiday, The Edge of the World, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Rules of the Game,

Bruce what do you think of Pete

i curbstomp that retarded cat

Ooh boy, look at all that trash!!

why did you make it then

Bruce what do you think of megaautist

I learn a lot from him when I stop mouthing off like a hooligan with Tourette's.

Prove I did.

archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/80812889/#80859765

I said prove that I did. You gave me a link to an anonymous post
Oops!

prove that D.W. griffith directed intolerance

Oops! Here you go. :)

I said prove that he did. You gave me a link to an anonymous image
Oops!

>link
Oops! You're living up to your name nicely Pete

i.4cdn.org/tv/1508310901894.jpg counts as a link

It's not surprising that he can't into Griffith. The compressed time combined with amount of movies watched and vastly higher following-follower ratio is very telling of a lonesome isolationist thinking he can compensate his dwindling attention span with social media numbers.

But as per usual, genes aren't a rat race. His taste can speak volumes for that.

wrong thread

wrong verbage

It's time for you to stop sucking up to farre if you want to save an remainder of self-respect, pete

>an remainder

ohhh I was hoping you could infer the rest, pete. too bad :(

>:(

boohoo pete :'(

>:'(

Pete is a very emotional person. He likes Damien Chazelle after all

Before anybody takes both this and the damien statements as facts to brush up in my face later as if they will spur some self-doubt and embarrassment, let it be known I'm being sarcastic. I understand I can be too advanced for all of you to notice without headlights and a neon sign

Damien Chazelle is a boy in a mansuit.

Post moar frog butt

you're starting to sound more like the megaautist from /hr/ now

You're purposely ignoring comedy with character arc and comedic techniques that propel narrative forward, developing cinephile! If you want to ignore history, that's fine, but don't imply you know more or that those films of historical significance are not important! You might as well be one of that try to erase D.W. Griffith from the history books!

Is this art music, red- I mean /lbg/?

youtube.com/watch?v=PKuGwROHSg4

Is this art music, red- I mean /lbg/?

youtube.com/watch?v=4ZztDT01CII

literally invented the language of cinema. i fucking love Sup Forums

>surpass nor replicate his ability for the intelligent dialectic contrast and minimalist mise-en-scene

you know nothing about film making from back then and should probably keep quiet.

An example for the uneducated. We never know what's in front of Mary Pickford, we don't know the context of the scene, we have to extrapolate from behavior. The natural mise-en-scene of location serves to give some whereabouts, crushing waves and wind reveal environmental detail without need for cutaway and positioning of males in relation with house serve to illuminate relationship. Each cut from one range of emotion to the next while abstracting narrative detail is a technique adopted by Terrence Malick but done in superior fashion here since the camera doesn't distract or serve to telegraph events portrayed neither does mise-en-scene serve as simplified windowdressing. Willful audience participation to dissect and interpret is encouraged as opposed to handheld.
Nobody has been able to replicate or surpass the skill on display here. The only one I dare say is Robert Flaherty.
youtube.com/watch?v=tej00K8Dwgg
youtube.com/watch?v=uw3p_pNz5mU

Griffith is the capeshit of silents

>9gag reaction image
kill urself megaautist

not an argument

literally capeshit before capeshit

With Griffith, there are innumerable details that can be unpacked through rewatches, items of information that can be missed if one is not astute. For example, in the abovementioned short, the raising of Mary Pickford's head is timed with the waves and combined with her lethargic expression serves to signify the beginning of a daily routine. But the subsequent range of emotions she exhibits throughout the short reveals that it is through these individual moments of splendor shared with these men she holds dear that keeps her emotionally afloat above those crashing waves. This is one of infinite traits that makes Griffith superior. Buried metaphors and contextual information that can be studied countlessly bely the surface of his directly expressed content. Griffith actually employs intelligent use of a slow pace we observe actions in realtime to understand their significance. Nothing in the short serves to impress, one must consciously observe as opposed to say, a Tarkovsky, where the self-conscious pseuo-philosophizing is windowdressing for lack of content and is something that can be passively absorbed. This is why Griffith leaves the feeble-minded "bored" or "unsatisfied" whereas with Tarkovsky they are "excited" and "emotionally invested". Griffith is for the intellects, Tarkovsky is for the apes.

But user! It's so boring!

Birth of a Nation > Barry Lyndon

Did Griffin ever make a film like 8 1/2 or Synecdoche?